Why do people pay for Xbox Live?

Salihcin

Feb 15, 2008
Personally, I pay for Xbox Live for the great and civilized interactions I can have with my fellow man.
Also, because Microsoft aren't completely soulless bastards that would charge for breathing if they could.

WilliamRLBaker

Jan 8, 2010
Phoenixmgs said:
Dryaxx said:
Look at PSN... Now look at XBL.

That is all.

/thread
I'm willing to bet that Live has actually had more downtime before this incident than PSN. It's not like Live can't be hacked and brought down.
you'd be instantly wrong...since Xbox live has actually never been down like Psn has.

Mimsofthedawg said:
Saviordd1 said:
Better service, better servers, better system, better games, better controls, earlier downloads....

oh yeah

AND OUR PRIVACY REMAINS OUR OWN
You right. Xbox live has only been hacked twice. And the PSN has been hacked SOOOOOOOOOO many more times than that..... >.>
except xbox live has never not once been hacked.
your confusing people with weak passwords on their blogs, hotmail with the act of hacking into xbox live servers...

Phoenixmgs_v1legacy

Muse of Fate
Sep 1, 2010
viper3 said:

What's that? The sound of you being wrong?
The 360 STILL doesn't have built-in wireless? Every system and handheld has it; even the freaking Wii and DS have had built-in wireless since day 1.

WilliamRLBaker

Jan 8, 2010
Phoenixmgs said:
viper3 said:

The 360 STILL doesn't have built-in wireless? Every system and handheld has it; even the freaking Wii and DS have had built-in wireless since day 1.
1.isn't that the same list where before it was edited sony tried to claim hd dvd was required to play 360 games and harddrive was required to play all games?
2.the slim has been released on last check which has more advanced wireless then the ps3 has.

with those facts known it would seem that list is something like 5 years old...why would you want to use a completely out of date list thus owning your self in the process?

Phoenixmgs_v1legacy

Muse of Fate
Sep 1, 2010
WilliamRLBaker said:
Phoenixmgs said:
I'm willing to bet that Live has actually had more downtime before this incident than PSN. It's not like Live can't be hacked and brought down.
you'd be instantly wrong...since Xbox live has actually never been down like Psn has.
Before this PSN incident, I bet downtimes are very close to each other. Live goes down for a full day for major updates, PSN only goes down for a couple hours here and there (during low usage times) for maintenance.

WilliamRLBaker

Jan 8, 2010
Phoenixmgs said:
WilliamRLBaker said:
Phoenixmgs said:
Before this PSN incident, I bet downtimes are very close to each other. Live goes down for a full day for major updates, PSN only goes down for a couple hours here and there (during low usage times) for maintenance.
based upon what? nothing? In reality psn has gone down for full 24 hour perioids for maitnence and upgrades you seem to have no knowledge or experience of the xbox or xbox live *you actually believe it still doesn't have wireless built in the slim model has been out for a year* please don't make statements such as xbox live goes down for a day or more for maitenence and psn only goes down for a few hours because its false.

Xbox live has never been down like psn xbox live in 2008 at most had 2 weeks of spotty issues it was never taken competely 100% down for almost 2 weeks now like psn.

drbarno

Nov 18, 2009

Phoenixmgs said:
viper3 said:

I'm pretty sure that comparison list is old because all of those models of the xbox 360 are no longer in production.

GraveeKing

Nov 15, 2009
A lot of stuff to read but I'll just answer the title instead.

People feel a hell of a lot more comfortable if they think they're paying for something - if it's free it's bound to break and be worth less right? So micro-soft get away with stealing the money of people on live because it'll 'go towards maintenance' etc. I could go into several branches of arguments in that their games features multilayer hence you shouldn't have to pay for it - you should get that from the second you buy the game. The fact that PC users don't have to pay for multilayer monthly (other than some games which I don't personally count towards as a game so much as a life stealer).
Truth be told, Microsoft only do it because not all of their toilet seats and made of pure gold yet.

Phoenixmgs_v1legacy

Muse of Fate
Sep 1, 2010
WilliamRLBaker said:
2.the slim has been released on last check which has more advanced wireless then the ps3 has.
The 360 slim has wireless N? If it does have wireless N, it isn't really important because your Internet download speed is going to be slower than wireless G anyways, your Internet speed is the slowest thing on your network and that's where the bottleneck is.

WilliamRLBaker

Jan 8, 2010
Phoenixmgs said:
WilliamRLBaker said:
The 360 slim has wireless N? If it does have wireless N, it isn't really important because your Internet download speed is going to be slower than wireless G anyways, your Internet speed is the slowest thing on your network and that's where the bottleneck is.
um its important because it offers lower latency and higher response then G, and offers better media sharing then G I won't media share on my ps3 unless its connected via ethernet.

Carlston

Apr 8, 2008
Best of the 3 said:
Well, we pay to not have our information stolen >.>

<..>
Well that should come with "Microsoft" the pc's worlds big brother who made the OS's and all the programs with it...

You think they wouldn't have to charge they already would have the security and the other guy would be paying for the protection?

Phoenixmgs_v1legacy

Muse of Fate
Sep 1, 2010
WilliamRLBaker said:
Phoenixmgs said:
based upon what? nothing? In reality psn has gone down for full 24 hour perioids for maitnence and upgrades you seem to have no knowledge or experience of the xbox or xbox live *you actually believe it still doesn't have wireless built in the slim model has been out for a year* please don't make statements such as xbox live goes down for a day or more for maitenence and psn only goes down for a few hours because its false.

Xbox live has never been down like psn xbox live in 2008 at most had 2 weeks of spotty issues it was never taken competely 100% down for almost 2 weeks now like psn.
1) I said before this recent PSN incident

2) I know for some updates Live has been down for a day

3) I don't remember PSN being down for a day or longer ever before and I'm on it a lot. I use my PS3 to play and watch everything (except for any sports games). I know normally Sony says PSN will be down for like 8 hours for maintenance here and there, and it is usually up before the 8 HR time period over. I tried searching for PSN being down for a day or more but all I get is stuff about the current outage and google doesn't let you search for results that are say before April 2011.

4) I was asking if the Xbox has built-in wireless yet. None of my argument in this thread is based around the point that Xbox doesn't have wireless. I found out it does now but seriously it should've had wireless on day 1, the Wii and DS have wireless.

Dense_Electric

Jul 29, 2009
viper3 said:
jakefongloo said:
Xbox is cheaper than PS3 and a good PC

I love how your list just tacked a bunch of extras onto the 360 as if it's a guaranteed fact that virtually everyone who purchases the console will get all of them (particularly the wireless adapter, when I don't know a single person who actually uses that due to the simple ability to plug an ethernet cable into the back of a PC). Yes, if you buy that stuff it will cost more. If.

You prefer the PS3, that's fine, I've got no problem with that. But if you're going to post evidence in your favor make sure it isn't evidence that's been twisted and skewed into something it isn't.

Motiv_

Jun 2, 2009
I own both a 360 and a PS3. I also use Steam. The only reason I can see for paying for Gold is that there isn't any other choice. I like playing Gears and Halo and Left 4 Dead online, so really 60$ isn't that big of an investment for me. Would I want it for free? Yes, but I'm not going to not pay for it just because it's not free.

I did get kind of annoyed that you have to have gold for watching Netflix though.

Phoenixmgs_v1legacy

Muse of Fate
Sep 1, 2010
WilliamRLBaker said:
um its important because it offers lower latency and higher response then G, and offers better media sharing then G I won't media share on my ps3 unless its connected via ethernet.
You shouldn't be online gaming on any wireless to begin with, you should be courteous enough to play on wired without anything being downloaded so you have the least possible lag. I only play online if I'm on wired and I have no other network activity. I even reset my connection (modem and router) before I hop on and play weekly Survival on Metal Gear Online.

Wireless N is useful for only moving files and you have to stream media on the 360 as you can't put it on the hard drive, the PS3 can play 1080p video off the hard drive, no need to stream anyways. Plus, I never had an issue streaming wireless on my PS3. The max bitrate a Blu-ray can have is 40.0Mbps, which is slower than wireless g so streaming HD video should be easily handled by wireless g. Wireless N is almost completely useless except for slightly better latency, it's for moving files from network device to network device.

Scizophrenic Llama

Is in space!
Dec 5, 2007
I really don't get why these threads always pop-up.

I could always make the obligatory statement about how Live is actually up at this moment.

It will always be a matter of preference and opinion that decides what person plays on what console. I play with my friends, my friends own 360s, ergo I play 360.

In all reality, if you can afford the 360, the games, and the internet connection; you can afford the price of a game the span over a year. The 360 has better software updates over the PS3 in my opinion. Cross-game chat is awesome, and parties in Netflix are pretty entertaining.

Kaze103

Feb 11, 2009
Phoenixmgs said:
Kaze103 said:
Overall, I pay for it because I have to, and I'm not that bothered by it. I can afford thirty something quid a year.
Would you be bothered if you had to pay both the cable company and DSL company for Internet service when you just have cable? That's exactly what Microsoft is pulling. And, you don't have to pay for Live; PSN and Steam are free alternatives.
And I don't want to use either of these alternatives.