Why do people reject evolution?

AwesomeWunderbar

Jul 31, 2012
Doug said:
AwesomeWunderbar said:
disgruntledgamer said:
One of the strongest scientific theories to date, even stronger than the theory of Gravity
Gravity isn't a theory, it's a law.
If you volatile it, the reality police drag you off to...somewhere. We think its hiding behind the Higgs-Boson. Hence, the search for it. If we destroy the prison, gravity need no longer bind us!
But that wouldn't be good! Cause then we'd float out into space and our heads would explode!

Nimzabaat

Feb 1, 2010
Callate said:
Nimzabaat said:
Callate said:
...Because they have a vested stake in believing something else.

And as long as someone is willing to step forward and say something in an authoritative manner, someone will believe them, and many more will be afraid to admit that they have their doubts.
That statement goes both ways and I totally agree with it. I've been around long enough to see scientists change their minds a few times. It saddens me that the "educated and enlightened" on this thread are just as close minded and dogmatic in their beliefs as the people they are arguing against. That's why we can't have nice things.
How do I put this.

I agree that it's important to keep an open mind to new possibilities. And I recognize that both scientists and those who follow their work (sometimes not as closely as they should) can be mistaken. And believe it or not, I'm really not especially inclined towards strict, knee-jerk anti-theism.

But I have to flatly reject the idea, as comes up so often, that there's a strict equivalency in both sides, neither of any more worth in any field. There is a difference between a Theory and a catechism, both in application and, to some extent, in intent. A scientist whose findings don't meet up with reality can expect to have their results challenged if their results aren't repeatable in further experiments; a member of the clergy whose dogma doesn't mesh with reality isn't likely to be challenged at all. Challenging an existing model in science is part of the process, and can lead to breakthroughs and names being made. Challenging a religious doctrine can lead to accusations of heresy, excommunication, and schism.

It's one thing to hold a personal faith, and hold it with both the strength and the flexibility to credit the possibility that it is the believer's understanding of reality that is flawed, not the deity who inspires that belief. It's quite another to decide without warrant that because of faith, a technique like carbon dating that shows every indication of being a helpful gauge of certain real things simply doesn't apply.
Yet in this very thread, people who challenge science are being accused of stupidity, narrow-mindedness etc. Basically religion was the "theory" thousands of years ago and some people still cling to it. Just as in another thousand years, evolution might be considered quaint and the followers of that old theory mocked and ridiculed (i'm guessing telepathically?). Though if you doubt that science is the new religion, take a look at how people defend it in this thread. To the "science side", the "religious side" are the heretics. Normally I hate fence-sitters, but in this case, having a sense of perspective is really helpful.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
wulf3n said:
Have we actually seen the change though?
Maybe not with mudskippers, but we've seen changes in laboratory environments, and Darwin saw it within his own lifetime.

You're free to not "fully believe" it all you want, but it's on par with not believing other observable phenomena. Do you not fully believe in fire or gravity?

But sometimes the arguments put forward by believers aren't as fool proof as they would like to believe.
You can always find someone to say something stupid about just about anything. That should in no way degrade the notion itself.

However, I cannot make you believe in it any further than I can make the Insane Clown Posse understand how magnets work.

disgruntledgamer

Mar 6, 2012
wulf3n said:
disgruntledgamer said:
One of the strongest scientific theories to date, even stronger than the theory of Gravity and there are still people out there that reject it.
One is an observable phenomena the other isn't.

You can show all the facts, papers, journals, text books, and fossils you want, but until a significant alteration to an organisms genetic code is observed propagating across it's species, a lot of people just won't buy in.
Oh for the last time we already have! We've observed both Micro and Macro evolution in the laboratory, in fact I've done this personally.

Seriously I feel like a broken record here, I keep saying it and giving examples and links and they keep asking.

BrassButtons

Nov 17, 2009
Nimzabaat said:
Yet in this very thread, people who challenge science are being accused of stupidity, narrow-mindedness etc. Basically religion was the "theory" thousands of years ago and some people still cling to it. Just as in another thousand years, evolution might be considered quaint and the followers of that old theory mocked and ridiculed (i'm guessing telepathically?). Though if you doubt that science is the new religion, take a look at how people defend it in this thread. To the "science side", the "religious side" are the heretics. Normally I hate fence-sitters, but in this case, having a sense of perspective is really helpful.
So is math a religion as well? Because I'm pretty sure that if I said the Pythagorean Theorem was false and that the hypotenuse of a right triangle is actually equall to the cubed root of the other two sides multiplied together, there would be quite a few people accusing me of stupidity and defending the Theorem.

tsb247

Mar 6, 2009
As a Christian, I firmly believe that evolution (science) has its place to be taught in school, and creation (religion) has its place to be raught in churches. It's really not all that hard. You don't go to school to be indoctrinated; you go to school to learn reading, writing, and arithmatic (+ science).

As for what I believe... I believe the Bible gives us an oversimplified explanation of where we come from. How would you explain biological science to a person 2000 years ago that didn't even have a concept of cellular biology, let alone genetics? Yeah... I believe in the Bible, but I don't believe it is meant to be taken literally. It says God made man, but it never said how.

That's my two cents anyway...

EDIT: Do I believe in evolution? Yes.

BiscuitTrouser

Elite Member
May 19, 2008
Balmong7 said:
There are a lot of pages on this. So I am just gonna ask the question and hope. Has there been any evidence of single cell organisms changing into multiple cell organisms? That is the one part of the Evolution vs Creation battle I am waiting for. My mind just cannot grasp that mutations required to switch from single cells to specialized cells without having the organism die, and then having that happen to enough organisms to allow for procreation before the sun burnt itself out. So I honestly want to know, has any evidence of this been found yet?
Absolutely! And its been around for a LONG time. The simple answer is EVERY SINGLE one of your cells contains a VERY basic example of two cells working together. Its your mitochondria.

I dont know how scientifically literate you are so ill explain from the start. Almost all cells which take part in active processes use ATP to do so which is the cells "Energy" if you like stored in the form of ATP. The mitochondria is a little organelle inside your cells that produces this. Youre also aware your cell has DNA right? Are you aware that in fact not ALL of it is in the lovely nucleus DNA centre of the cell. A totally different load of DNA is in your mitochondria. Why are there two sets of DNA in your cells? Both are defined as "human" DNA but carry quite different information.

Its also inherited slightly differently from regular nucleus DNA. So how did this happen? The main theory is that previously the mitochondria was its own distinct cell floating around collecting nutrients to produce its own ATP very efficiently. Eventually a larger cell mutated to engulf the mitochondria. This larger cell gathered the nutrients needed for the mitochondria to produce ATP much more efficiently while at the same time harvesting the ATP the mitochondria produced. A relationship formed that was symbiotic. This occurred to the point where the larger cell learnt to "read" and copy the DNA inside the mitochondrial DNA to produce MORE mitochondria inside itself.

When cells divided from here on out the mitochondrial DNA divided too and went with it. Since this new relationship worked better than all the others the original cells, both the lone mitochondria and the larger cell, died out if they didnt adapt. This happened once. And only once. And from then on the mitochondria was the main energy producer for all life as we know it for a few million years. This is a basic outline of how two cells came together to work in symbiosis.

A study was also done on algi because modern algi forms a multi celled organism from 16-50000 cells large it is the best example of the simplest multicelled organism. The cells differ in function and all play a seperate role. By looking at the different levels of complexity researchers came up with this timeline:

1) ~223 million years ago, a species of single-celled green algae began forming aggregates of cells stuck together by a glue of secreted proteins and sugars (and we can see species which do this today).

2) Also ~200 million years ago, the rate of cell division began to be controlled genetically. Unlike single-celled organisms, which reproduce whenever the surrounding environment is right, the new multicellular algae began controlling exactly how many daughter cells they produce. This is a critical step towards establishing a multi-cellular body-plan with genetically controlled dimensions.

3) Roughly 10 million years later, the cells of some multicellular algae species began to orient their whip-like flagella in the same direction, so that all of the flagella would work together to control the swimming direction of the organism.

4) By ~100 million years ago, some of the algae species had established separate reproductive germ cells, and ever since then, various volvocine algae species have developed more cells with highly specialized functions.

Source: http://www.science20.com/adaptive_complexity/how_singlecell_organisms_evolve_multicellular_ones

gideonkain

Nov 12, 2010
TehCookie said:
I think this belongs in Religion and Politics...

Not to mention you already answered it for yourself. There are a lot of crazy people out in the world, for your own sanity I'd avoid talking about things like that to them.
Putting it there would deny it's Scientific basis and lend credence to the idea that people can just "believe things are false" and then they are.

Nimzabaat

Feb 1, 2010
Dijkstra said:
Nimzabaat said:
Yet in this very thread, people who challenge science are being accused of stupidity, narrow-mindedness etc.
It could be because, you know, the form of the challenge suggests as much.
I agree! It seems to be the weapon of choice for both sides :)

Nimzabaat

Feb 1, 2010
tsb247 said:
As a Christian, I firmly believe that evolution (science) has its place to be taught in school, and creation (religion) has its place to be raught in churches. It's really not all that hard. You don't go to school to be indoctrinated; you go to school to learn reading, writing, and arithmatic (+ science).

As for what I believe... I believe the Bible gives us an oversimplified explanation of where we come from. How would you explain biological science to a person 2000 years ago that didn't even have a concept of cellular biology, let alone genetics? Yeah... I believe in the Bible, but I don't believe it is meant to be taken literally. It says God made man, but it never said how.

That's my two cents anyway...

EDIT: Do I believe in evolution? Yes.
I'm too lazy to look up the meme, but it goes "what if God created the big bang and everybody's wrong?". Or right, depending on how you look at things.

Joccaren

Elite Member
Mar 29, 2011
Therarchos said:
But your view is affected by the result you expect.
It is easier to find arguments for a result you want than find them against.
I do not think evolution is necessarily wrong but I'll be damned if I just accept it and ignore that for an instance the theory of evolution didn't get accepted when it did because a bunch of scientist wanted to get God out of the equation! the same bunch who apparently has convinced most of western society that the catholic church believed that the world was flat. When their argument why Columbus shouldn't have money for his trip was that the world was to wide to come across.

My point is be critical. Most of all to your own beliefs.
To an extent. Read your last line, I take that as my moto in life, and whilst I'll accept scientific theories as truth without fully investigating - thanks to the fact that if I hear about them, the generally are strongly supported by experimental data - but I will always prefix things that I have not researched myself with "Apparently". Until I know the reasons behind the scientific theory and understand it to, at the very least, a reasonable degree, I won't come out and say that it is outright fact.
It is also the reason I am an agnostic rather than an atheist.
With that sort of way of looking at things, its not hard to find arguments for or against things, as I have little bias when entering into a debate about a scientific theory, as in the past religious people have done experiments to try and prove that certain aspects of the bible and such are plausible - which I have always found interesting, whether from the aspect of explaining something god has supposedly done through natural phenomenon, or linking natural phenomenon to match something that god is said to have done [There is a slight difference, though its hard to get across on the internet] - and I search for the truth, rather than what some people say is the truth.

Of course, this doesn't guarantee that I've found the truth, merely what is likely closest to it from the information I have on hand, which I will re-evaluate each time new information is uncovered.

EclipseoftheDarkSun

Sep 11, 2009
The religious authorities and supporters see it as a battle to fight every step of the way, so as they retreat in the face of evidence and public opinion, they use similar tactics to the cigarette companies - deny every link along the logical chain until it's proven to exhaustion and they've been embarrassed. Cultivate a group of people who'd deny the nose on their face if it protected their unreasoning faith. Oh, plus people don't like being compared to apes and monkeys, despite the critical similarities - they put down these clever creatures, because they consider it demeaning to be compared to them, like they'd resent being compared to *severely* retarded people because that's about how smart our nearest relatives are - no more than a not particularly bright young child and unable to communicate in our language. They really should be looking at the similarities from a dispassionate point of view or a positive one that realises how smart an ape or large monkey is compared to a dog, a pig or similar.

Trippy Turtle

Elite Member
May 10, 2010
Honestly I am more surprised so many people do believe it. Sure, it has heaps of evidence. How many average people actually understand that evidence? I am interested in the topic and I don't know enough about it to put up a convincing argument for it.
Sure I could go on about fossils, but other then that I can't prove shit.

I do believe in it though.

EclipseoftheDarkSun

Sep 11, 2009
DNA similarity speaks louder than fossils of which there are precious few for obvious reasons.. (recycling of materials by other lifeforms, mechanical damage in the soil by plant roots and erosion.

Ryan Minns

Mar 29, 2011
Personally I'd think many people would not worship it due to the world having all these 'facts' since the dawn of time. Sure I believe in evolution and to me it makes 'sense' but that sense is due to other people just like those in this thread. Many, MANY things found in the average household today was deemed impossible at one point, not by uneducated fools but by the best and brightest of the age and the ONLY fact I believe will be the only true 'fact' that remains constant is what everyone claims is 100% proven undeniable fact of today will be laughed at by children in schools 100 years from now.

axlryder

victim of VR
Jul 29, 2011
From a more "theistic" perspective, I always found the premise behind evolutionary change managing to develop to the point where we're at now without any sort of "celestial" influence hard to swallow. Of course, the very existence of said deity to influence the aforementioned evolutionary process isn't any easier to swallow, and adds all sorts of incalculable complications/baseless assumptions just for the sake of boosting the statistical likelihood of things like abiogenesis and DNA development occurring (which really just comes off as contradictory and wouldn't sit well with Occam's Razor, methinks)

Of course, the actual validity of evolution is really undeniable at this point. As much as I empathize with religious folk, there's no real excuse to not accept whats staring you right in the face. I don't particularly care too greatly for biology, and even I get frustrated when I hear the perpetual misunderstandings spew forth from people's mouths when they talk about evolution. If you're going to contest something, for the love of God at least understand what you're contesting.

Spearmaster

Mar 10, 2010
Quaxar said:
Spearmaster said:
Anyone who has done more in depth studying may be able to answer a question for me though. Are apes our only living relative or just our closest? I'm just curious when apes shared a common ancestor with a fish or a dolphin, if the current model is as flawless as some say it is it should work the same all the way back to the origin of all life. Or does it only provide a link a link between man and ape? Which is just a sliver of our evolutionary history.
EVERYTHING is a living relative if you want to get technical. But they certainly are closest in terms of evolutionary nearest. Let me illustrate that with the classic tree of life.
http://www.daviddarling.info/images/primate_family_tree.gif
I like that one. It's colourful.
It's only the primate order but you can more or less go back to bigger and bigger graphs if you want broader ancestry. Keep in mind though that you might find different illustrations in parts because some people tend to put classifications together differently.
I don't think that quite addresses the question I had. I have seen more precise charts on evolution but nothing as accurate as the man/ape model that provides a model for all species just that of a link between man and ape and/or other primates. If the current model of evolution is so accurate then it should be able to be applied to all forms of life that possess DNA. If not then we may only be dealing with 1% or less of the whole picture of evolution on this planet.
It is quite a stretch to base a claim that the current evolutionary model is 100% correct on perhaps less than 1% of of the evidence of evolution. I do appreciate the reply though, I may be digger for a bigger answer than the world can provide at this point.
To address the OP sometimes it seems that most evolutionary theory is used, not by the researchers but mainly by individuals to disprove creationism more than actually provide a clear picture of the origin of life on this planet. I think that may be why so many hardline creationists try to find ways to deny or discount evolutionary theory. Maybe we need to step away from the "see you are wrong" attitude and try "look what we found, what do you think?" for a change. Also I don't see the harm in people believing in creation if it makes them happy.

MegaManOfNumbers

Mar 3, 2010
Because evolution is so fucking slow that no human will ever be aware of its process. And we humans like immediate evidence. And the moment humans do evolve into something else, we still won't be able to tell the difference because its SO FUCKING SLOW.