Why do people seem to think Gamepads are better than KB+M?

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
shrekfan246 said:
Keyboard and mouse controls are far faster and more precise for shooters?

YOU DON'T SAY.

OP, whatever your intentions may be, we've had this thread a hundred times over and it always just devolves into pointless PC vs. Console bickering. Each control method has its uses, PCs are handy because they allow the use of either (or joysticks, flightsticks, fightsticks, wheels, and every other input method you could ever hope to never need to use), some genres play better on one than they do the other. Can we leave it at that?
Yes, this, THANK YOU! I was gonna throw my hat into the ring and say games work fine with either method, depending on the game. Hawken is best played with a KB+M. Try playing Dark Souls with a keyboard and mouse. I dare all of you...

ryessknight

May 30, 2013
Because kb and m controls are terrible. There akward and all over the place. Turning is a nightmare in fps's ,camera control sucks on a mouse and reticule combat on mmos is horrible on kb and m. Theres so many games that just play smoother on a controller and so many games that would play better on a controller that are forced to use kb and m cause there trapped on pc for some damn reason. Oh and all you "but kb and m are better on shooters" ppl can shut the hell up. No, no there not. Period.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
TheKasp said:
Also, I have a buddy who loves CoD on consoles... I can't fucking believe it. Wrong genre, platform and franchise! What a heretic!
IKR? I hate that my friends actually have fun playing a casual shooter on consoles!

NuclearKangaroo

Feb 7, 2014
Ultratwinkie said:
Mr Fixit said:
Speaking specifically about shooters I always felt that KB+M made them too easy, it's just point & click death. It just feels like cheating to me. It's fine for other games, but I guess I'm comfortable with either setup for any game because I've never limited myself to either pc or console exclusively.
Only in games with no bullet drop or deviation. console ports, basically. They always tend to be easy regardless.

Its either mouse on PC or aim assist on console. Neither of which are hard when bullets go on forever in the straight line.

That's why PC exclusive shooters mix it up.

Try shooting in Red orchestra 2, then come back and say KB+M is easy. Shooting at tiny specks 100-300 meters away. Tiniest movement can make you miss. No crosshairs.

Its like trying to shoot a dick off a fly. And no, there aren't any scopes. Its all eye balling it.

Now I refuse to play anything else. Feels too easy.
well technically there ARE scopes in RO2

man id like that game so much better if it wasnt so glitchy... and if it didnt crash so much... and if it had less shitty open maps, and if it had a better weapon selection

alright needs a ton of work, but i like the basic gameplay, which is saying a lot, i thought i hated realistic games, that free game promotion was amazing

PsychoticHamster

May 16, 2013
Well I started playing video games with a controller so that's why I prefer to use it. I've noticed, for myself at least, games that I've used both KB+M and a gamepad, I simply have more fun using the controller. Can't really explain it, but my logic is that gamepads were made with the sole intention of being used to play videogames, while KB+M controls were taken from the available setup. I'll admit that playing an fps is much better using KB+M, but other than that genre I prefer a gamepad.

Raggedstar

Jul 5, 2011
I'll toss my opinion in the pot and say I prefer shooters with keyboard and mouse. It's a lot easier to point at things I want to die with a mouse. I sometimes get disoriented when aiming with analog sticks, so if given the option, KB/M all the way. Point and click adventure games also feel more natural too, even if something like Telltale's recent games are fine with controllers

HOWEVER, as someone who plays platformers on a regular basis, keyboards with 3D platformers (as well as most other 3D action games that don't require PC ) are not comfortable. Analog sticks allow you to precisely and quickly move as well as rotate the camera at the same time. Have you ever tried to change camera angles with keyboard buttons? It's not great, let me tell you! 2D platformers are fine with a keyboard though.

But generally, I prefer using controllers. They sit in my hands better, cause less cramping, and less buttons to mash or accidentally press.

Aug 1, 2010
I only like keyboard and mouse for two thing: Complicated games with lots of controls like Metro or System Shock and RTS games.

Otherwise, the controller is far superior for me purely for its level of comfy and immersion. Immersion is virtually impossible for me when I'm using KB+M. RPGs like the Bethesda games just feel better with a controller.
Shooters as well feel better to me. I know, I know, more accurate aiming, blah blah blah. I'm sorry, when I fire a gun I want to pull a damn trigger.

Most of this is completely subjective. The only place a controller is truly superior is in third person melee games like AssCreed

McElroy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2013
Finland
I've spent so much time in front of the computer screen that there's no question about which I prefer. I guess fighting games are better with a pad (or an arcade stick), but I don't even play any fighting games on the PC anyway so I don't know. I don't really dislike any type of method of input.

SageRuffin

M-f-ing Jedi Master
Dec 19, 2009
I grew up on action games and fighters. Therefore, a controller feels far more comfortable.

Don't get me wrong; a the old keyboard/mouse combo does work better in certain games (MMOs, FPS's, to name a few), but if I can use a controller - preferably my 360 controller - I will.

NuclearKangaroo

Feb 7, 2014
Ultratwinkie said:
NuclearKangaroo said:
Ultratwinkie said:
Mr Fixit said:
Speaking specifically about shooters I always felt that KB+M made them too easy, it's just point & click death. It just feels like cheating to me. It's fine for other games, but I guess I'm comfortable with either setup for any game because I've never limited myself to either pc or console exclusively.
Only in games with no bullet drop or deviation. console ports, basically. They always tend to be easy regardless.

Its either mouse on PC or aim assist on console. Neither of which are hard when bullets go on forever in the straight line.

That's why PC exclusive shooters mix it up.

Try shooting in Red orchestra 2, then come back and say KB+M is easy. Shooting at tiny specks 100-300 meters away. Tiniest movement can make you miss. No crosshairs.

Its like trying to shoot a dick off a fly. And no, there aren't any scopes. Its all eye balling it.

Now I refuse to play anything else. Feels too easy.
well technically there ARE scopes in RO2

man id like that game so much better if it wasnt so glitchy... and if it didnt crash so much... and if it had less shitty open maps, and if it had a better weapon selection

alright needs a ton of work, but i like the basic gameplay, which is saying a lot, i thought i hated realistic games, that free game promotion was amazing
Well only or the sniper class. And if you pick that you get harassed more than a hot girl on XBL.

I managed to get a level 42 scoped 98k. Just 8 levels from my bayonet. Some nooblets automatically pick it because they can't eye ball for shit. Then they whine about how they still can't see anything. We lost a lot a games because of people like that.

And yet with a regular rifle I manage to get more long range kills than the snipers do. And that's sad.

The open ended maps like Arad and Druzhima are actually contest winners. They aren't official. Arad was an updated RO1 map. Its all modder levels. The only actually bad map is fallen fighters, and that's if your AT guys are incompetent.

The weapon selection is also tied to honor. You can't get actual weapon selection unless you are a hero. And that is realistic, because everything is standard issue.

The crashing is a real issue though. I crash when I die, thankfully that doesn't happen to often.
i personally hate pretty much any open map, they all turn into the most frustrating "where's waldo?" games, the maps i actually find enjoyable are maps that combine both close quarters combat and open environments, grain elevator, barracks, cold steel, red october factory, are all good maps, or at the very least decent

and boy are campaign matches miserable, the idea sounds great on paper, but in practice each team tries to pick the worst, cheapest maps in order to gain territories, in your standard campaign match youll play apartments and fallen fighters ad nauseum

i hate unlocking stuff, but checking the unlocks is also pretty standard stuff

bolt action rifle - sigle shot rifle
semi automatic rifle - single shot rifle that shoots faster
sniper rifle - single shot rifle that has a scope

the most interesting of the bunch are the MGs, the fact you need to set em up to use em effectively forces you to play significantly different from other classes

i know they are working with WW2 so the selection is limited, but even then they had some cool stuff

flamethrowers (yes i know these were added on the expasion but im talking about the base game for now), rifle grenades, incendiary grenades, bazookas, etc

they couldve done some more neat stuff with the WW2 theme

Cerebrawl

Feb 19, 2014
TheKasp said:
Funny you mention Rogue Legacy. Because I could not, for the love of god, play it with my XBox 360 controller. The stick is basically an equally shitty version of the crosspad, always misreading my movements making me downthrust whenever I did not want to (and similiar). I switched to keyboard after somewhat around 15 minutes of playtime and did not look back.
I don't have a 360 pad, I use a Saitek P990, it has a non-shit D-pad, I originally got it to play dreamcast emulation fighting games(specifically Rival Schools 2: Project Justice).

purf

Nov 29, 2010
Apart from a bit of Playstation, I grew up with KB/M.

I have a 360 controller; here's what I use it for:
- Trials Evolution (that analogue input is pretty crucial. KB/M works too but makes for a different game)
- Dark Souls (and the controlling scheme might just be the very reason we're not getting friends. I'm not on a couch, bent forward towards the TV screen with the controller pointing down; I'm at my desk and that thing is fucking uncomfortable to hold.)
- Flying around in 3d scenes (in non-gaming stuff)

...and I don't miss a thing.

Redundant thread is redundant.

tehroc

Jul 6, 2009
DrOswald said:
Each input device has advantages and disadvantages. I would never play MMX with a KB+M for example, but I would also never play Civilization 5 with a controller. Which is why I have both.
This might be a knock on Civilization 5, but the UI is so simple it could easily be transferred to controller. Hell Civ 5s interface is simple enough to get a straight port to mobile devices imo.

Lieju

Jan 4, 2009
Yeah, it's a matter of preference.
I prefer a controller for most games personally, but I'm more of a console (or these days handheld)- gamer.

Gankytim said:
As an anecdote, I've seen decenttohigh level FPS players from PC and Console go head to head in a LAN match, the console users who were using Gamepads got their cute little buttocks handed to them every time.
I'm not sure how making the game easier is necessarily 'better'. Shouldn't it be about what controls you personally find most comfortable? And that fit with the game and how it's designed?

If someone found KB&M the most natural way for them to play a platformer for example, then why not? Even if other players beat them in that game by using a controller?

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Gankytim said:
Eugh, seems I've kicked up a shitstorm.

I'm not intendting to piss people off, I'm just spouting my own personal anecdote and experience being well versed in both.
well honestly what do you expect?

there is no way for this argument to end well.....

aside from shooters I guess its preference....controlers just make me feel..like my hands are in heavy duty gloves

Lazy Kitty

Evil
May 1, 2009
Well, kb + m is great, in some situations. So is a gamepad.
Gamepad is pretty good if you don't want to have to worry about pressing the wrong button, or where the keyboard has gone, like when you're wearing an oculus.