Why do so many people in the "geek" community dislike sports?

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
I dislike watching sports because I think it's boring. I also think that watching other people play video games is boring. I don't see much in the way of inconsistency here.

Schtimpy

Oct 29, 2013
My main issue with sports is that most of them are completely skill based. The only thing that decides who wins or loses is whether they are fast enough to get ball or tall enough to dunk. Most of the time it just comes down to who exercised more, or has the better default body.

Me, I'm more of a tactics guy. While some sports have some thought put into their game plans (like football, and to a lesser extent, football), most sports like golf or baseball are just people doing things. Not saying that it's not worthwhile, if I was a tennis expert I'd love watching it, but it doesn't do anything for me.

You know what I'd watch the shit out of? Professional LARP. Like, legit army stuff. Get formations, cavalry charges, the whole shebang. Have some kind of territory/land thing so there's a story that writes it self. But that can't happen without VR because people would die. Is Professional Paintball a thing? Not COD crackhead style, but tactical. SWAT breaches, holding a base, heck, capture the flag? I would watch that.

Funnily enough, you can't even get that from most E-Sports. Starcraft 2 is all about skill with its APM and rolling balls of death. Fighters are boxing, card games are blehh (although I do enjoy watching Hearthstone and Magic because I play those). FPS has infinite re-spawning so it's more like a beehive, that focuses on the individual getting head shots. I want to see plans and maps, not some crackhead running to point B and getting ganked.

I'd rather watch chess than bloody knuckles.

Note: This is only my opinion, and not necessarily representative of geek culture as a whole. Geeks probably hate sports because jocks are jerks. Not saying geeks aren't, but jocks hit harder.

visiblenoise

Jul 2, 2014
Maybe video games and sports both sort of satisfy a certain type of basic need to be obsessed with something. I'm thinking about the sort of people who know all the good players and are aware of their stats. So for some, having one might mean that they find the other unnecessary.

Ishal

Oct 30, 2012
Wasted said:
Ishal said:
To me, the video game community is easily the most vile and aggressive community that I have experienced. What you attribute as negative aspects to sports fans I see it as 10x worse in any gaming forum. Say what you will, but personal attacks are too casually thrown around in nearly any multiplayer video game.

Homophobia, xenophobia, sexism, death threats are way too common in video game chat rooms and with the popularity of swatting these idiots have a means to potentially kill someone that one time said something that they disagreed with.
What happens over the internet is always going to be worse compared to IRL. What with the greater internet fuckwad theory and all.

Still, I stand by what I said. There are a greater number of ways to silence or stop completely the "vileness" of online gaming. Not so at a bar or stadium when individuals are as hellbent on causing problems as people online.

It's clear the gaming and sports circles we frequent are vastly different.

DRTJR

Aug 7, 2009
I like watching Pro Football(American rules Football, the real Football) live on Sunday as God intended. but I could care less about Soccer/Hockey/Golf/Basketball or other sports that I'm just forgetting. I also spend the vast majority of my free time playing games (tabletop or video).

Schtimpy

Oct 29, 2013
Wasted said:
Ishal said:
I dislike the culture of sports more than the sports themselves.

While it's true I was bullied by "jocks" in school, it didn't happen more than any other group. Punks and even other "geeks" had a go at me just as often. Equal opportunity I suppose.

There's just something about going over to a friend's house, and being able to hear his parents (mom typically), screaming bloody murder before I even get in the house. Absolutely losing her shit at the TV screen, beer in hand. Granted this does happen in gamer culture, and it does happen online. But... well... that's not really a compelling argument.

Can't really compare someone getting in your face IRL to an angry message in a chat box or inbox. If they are in a voice chat, mute them or block them. Fact is there are tools at your disposal nearly always for dealing with this stuff online. There is no way to turn off an angry fan who is drunk when you're at a stadium. As for the culture being xenophobic or harsh to outsiders, I'd say sports forums are worse by a very large degree. Gaming is still a young medium. Sports have been around much longer, and their fans often express a zeal and zealotry most gamers could never hope to achieve.
To me, the video game community is easily the most vile and aggressive community that I have experienced. What you attribute as negative aspects to sports fans I see it as 10x worse in any gaming forum. Say what you will, but personal attacks are too casually thrown around in nearly any multiplayer video game.

Homophobia, xenophobia, sexism, death threats are way too common in video game chat rooms and with the popularity of swatting these idiots have a means to potentially kill someone that one time said something that they disagreed with.
You do know you're talking about our equivalent of soccer hooligans right? The people who actually hurt others? Death threats are bad, but real threats are far worse. People suck, it's just more apparent because we have more access.

giles

Feb 1, 2009
The very same people who think it's boring to watch pro athletes give it their all competing on an international stage will go and watch japanese cartoons with repetitive pantsu fanservice or watch actors play pretend with camera tricks and computer animation in the latest Dr. Who.

Also, fox and the grapes.

Lera00

Oct 26, 2014
Welp, like most other posts have stated already, i kinda like more playing the sports than just seeing them. I like basketball and volleyball, and i am even half-good at those, but when i sit in front of the TV to watch a match, i cant stay put for more than 5 minutes until i fall asleep,or go do something else; maybe because while playing with friends its very fun and exciting; seeing someone else doing the same while sitting on chair doesn't have the same spark.

Chaos Isaac

Jun 27, 2013
Because I find them boring to tears, as do many others.
They're generally just not interesting, and are weirdly obsessed over in ways that let rapists, abusive people, and dog fighters get away with crimes because 'they play the game well', which frankly sickens me.

For the most part, I can't care because i'm not invested, because it really doesn't interest me. The best football games are the ones I go play in, and the ones on T.V. don't matter to me in the slightest.

The Artificially Prolonged

Random Semi-Frequent Poster
Jul 15, 2008
Did someone say sports?

SPORTS!!!!!

*ahem*

It does seem like that at times. Most sports topics don't seem to last long on the forums here, although from experience I can say there are plenty of active sports fans here on the Escapist whether that is watching sports or playing sports or both. It just seems the sports talk mainly kept to dedicated user groups *cough* Barclays Premier League Group *cough*. I guess it just is the old Nerds hate sports and Sports people hate videogames stereotype being perpetuated. Which as someone who has played videogames and a variety of sports since I was old enough to walk has always seemed incredibly dumb. Though I guess some people just need to feel superior to others based on which past time that feel is more valid or worthwhile. I have actually argued on many times that sports fans and videogame fans have more in common than the old stereotype suggests. Both can foster friendships easily and can promote good team work, analysis and skill improvement. And of course both groups are let down by a very vocal minority that make the rest of us look like knuckle dragging caveman.

I guess sport does have a more favoured position in the eyes of many when compared to videogames. Partly because videogames are seen as a passive activity by many and mistakenly attributed to only appealing to the lazy and unhealthy, which would breed resentment among those you like videogames but don't like sports. This I feel is just down to fact that sports have had literally thousands of years to integrate themselves into society that it just a accepted part of it. Videogames have a way to go before there that accepted but in time they will get there. Trust me one day you'll get into a taxi and the phrase "did you say that shameful display last night?" will be referring to last night's Starcraft 2 match.

Another area that probably drives the most hate now to me would be the fact that sports games are annualised sequels and tend to outsell other "proper" games easily. This seems to combine the two things some vocal sections of games hate the most, excessive sequels and so called casuals. To the outside looking in most sports games appear to be nothing more than re-skins with updated team sheets. While this is certainly true to a extent but most sports games tend be very iterative in terms of improvements and most times you don't notice many improvements or changes until you actually sit down and play them. As for the games like FIFA (more a PES man myself :p) outselling other core games is just a matter numbers. A game based on a sport that is very popular on 4 continents, fills 30,000-90,000 capacity stadiums every week across those continents with millions more watching on tv, is just going to have a wider potential audience than a niche RPG.

tl/dr
Like sports? Great. Prefer videogames? Also great. Like both? Awesome.

Spider RedNight

There are holes in my brain
Oct 8, 2011
I think for me it's just that I'm a solitary person and I fulfill my needs much better playing a single-player game than being forced to do what someone else tells me on a team of people. I'm also introverted, I'm not very competitive and I don't have good memories of people who like sports with a level of enthusiasm (particularly American Football) - my dad is... incredibly passionate about football and I never understood why he screams at these people on the screen. I don't recall yelling so loudly at a screen for dying in a game but at least I can CHANGE that by either changing the game or running off and killing a dozen monsters to get better.

Also I think professional athletes are paid WAY too much money and that pisses me off.

I'm not very good at sports, either; at least not the ones that people watch. I remember being good at volleyball for about three minutes before I realized that middle school girls are the devil incarnate and of course I kicked ass at kickball but ya know.

I can't really speak for anyone else but I'm in the same boat as the people that say "sports are generally extroverted and competitive" and "video games are generally introverted and passive". I'm also under the impression that video games are a lot more "open" about the people that play them; in sports you have to be in a very specific "range" of talents and skills but with video games, you can be much closer to yourself. That's how I perceive it, at least.

Wasted

Dec 19, 2013
Schtimpy said:
You do know you're talking about our equivalent of soccer hooligans right? The people who actually hurt others? Death threats are bad, but real threats are far worse. People suck, it's just more apparent because we have more access.
I'm from the US, so people killing themselves over a soccer game is non existent. But you have a point, I have heard horror stories with sport hooligans from across the pond. Then again I always attributed tensions between the EU countries played a big role in this. Cram thousands of these testosterone oozing and drunk fools into a small stadium and crap like that is bound to happen.

Nergui

Dec 13, 2013
Sport...

Rugby - 26 neanderthals running around a field hugging and groping each other.
AFL - 36 fairies kicking a ball around a cricket field and occasionally groping each other.

On the other hand, watching cricket is a decent time waster in summer when it's too hot for my computer. Soccer isn't too bad either.

I'd rather be playing video games.

Laser Priest

A Magpie Among Crows
Mar 24, 2011
Personally, I just never got into competitive anything. I speak more for myself than the entire geek community, considering how many competitive-only games get popular and how professional competitive gaming is actually a thing.

I actually don't mind playing in sports (and was in a hockey team when I was younger), but I just never saw the appeal in watching any of them.

Lieju

Jan 4, 2009
I really don't care about sports. Don't care if people like them either.

I'm such a disappointment to my dad who built his career in sports journalism...

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
I'm not terribly competative to start with, so sports don't interest me at all. Same with e-sports, or mutiplayer for that matter.

I might like Co-op, but I don't know any people IRL who actually want to co-op play games I'm interested in.

MoltenSilver

Feb 21, 2013
I'd place my bet on you being attacked because of 'angry vocal minority' + 'cultural identity' (or if we're being truthful, that wonderful human brain defect known as tribalism). I don't think its really a stretch to say the strongest aspect of geek culture at the start and even through now is a big sense of persecution. So, in turn, members of said culture look at what their bullies do and/or things that they are bad at, and they then think of ways to attack it so as to convince themselves that they're the superior (no matter how hypocritical said criticisms may be), that they're the ones not wasting time with obsolete physical activity, that they are the ones who are 'ahead of the evolutionary curve' because they prefer mental activities. I think it's actually a part of why today we have this stereotype of pro players being empty meatheads who couldn't solve 2+2 when in fact you need just as much mental aptitude as physical to be successful.

Rebel_Raven

Jul 24, 2011
I have an idea, why not ask the sports fans why they hate geek stuff so much? I wouldn't mind knowing, myself.
I mean, historically, and even presently they look down on people that like things that don't rely on muscle power, competition, and so forth. They were usually the ones in control of it.
I mean, how many sports buddies can you talk about things that the Escapist talks about?
I think you might have an up hill battle trying to integrate the people interested in what the Escapist talks abut into the sports world.

I imagine sports gets disliked coz it's the banner of the oppressors.

Personally, I just don't get stimulated enough watching sports. I don't play sports coz I'm not athletic like that, and I'm especially not competitive. I'd play more sports games (At least against AI) if they weren't almost exclusively sausagefests.
I know most of the rules. Enough to understand what's going on, I'm just not driven to give a damn even when my state's team is playing. I like more stimulating visual input.
Sports aren't easy to play, but it's easy to watch.

Maybe I'm not the one to answer this question?
I can't really talk about any of my interests face to face, surrounded by jocks, and people who wouldn't dare show weakness in enjoying something dubbed childish, like animation, comics, and games.
Even if they do, they've got some weird hardon for competition.
Only reason one games is just to be ahead of everyone else.
Another won't watch older episodes of DBZ despite being a fan due to the older art style. Even DBZ abridged is beneath him. Moreover, he plays games that rely on competition to stay alive.

I've ran into many snobs that won't watch older anime due to the art alone, but most of mine are in the older styles.

jklinders

Sep 21, 2010
I used to enjoy a good game of softball but I hate watching it or any of it's variants. Same for football and for the same reason for both. Way too many long pauses between plays. If they took out all the resets between plays the games would a third of the length at most. Baseball is especially bad for this as it seems to take forever between pitches a lot of the time.

I refuse to watch hockey at all. Too many overpaid thugs whose sole job appears to be to injure or get penalties on the actually talented players. Get rid of the thugs and stop glorifying the fights they cause and maybe I will find in stock somewhere a fuck to give. Cricket, is too confusing. Rugby and soccer is culturally unimportant in my part of the world.

I can't be arsed to watch basketball either for some reason.

Here's the thing though, while I cannot comprehend spending the time and effort to know which players have the best of what stats in whatever position of whatever sport that's OK because that is their interest and not mine. As long as they leave me to my interests I will leave them to theirs.

jklinders

Sep 21, 2010
Sleekit said:
MysticSlayer said:
It's just that I don't see enough people who hate sports in these communities to say that there is any active dislike for sports on the same level as other types of communities that aren't sport related.
id' also suggest that its worth remembering the average age of a gamer is now 35 plus....and most middle aged people just generally aren't very sporty...people get old and all sorts of things start to hurt -.-
Good God i can relate to that. When I was even i nmy late 20s I could not fully comprehend just how quickly downhill my fitness would go once I hit the 30s. i'm turning 39 this year and pretty near everything hurts all the time and working a physical job helps matters not at all.