Why do so many people in the "geek" community dislike sports?

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
I like watching sports. I never used to until I started playing NBA 2K14 and MLB 14: The Show. Sucks the Tigers lost Scherzer.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
Rebel_Raven said:
Personally, I don't even think it's necessarily a "banner of the oppressors" thing. I mean, that certainly factors into it for some people, but I've found that athletes are just as varied and complex as anyone else. Some are awful, and some are muscly Mr. Rogers.

I think my issue is with sports culture in general. Some professional athletes are fine, but every time an athlete gets caught beating their wife, or child, or torturing an animal, they get a slap on the wrist and go home for a few weeks. Meanwhile, someone refuses to give an interview and they get slapped with a $25,000 fine. It's all about money. There's no ethics and accountability when an athlete steps out of line. And the business side is even worse. There are a lot of decent athletes out there, and they basically get treated like cattle by the NFL. There's a long history of athletes suffering long term physical difficulties caused by their years in professional sports, and contrary to popular belief, many of them have difficulty paying for their medical expenses. In the meantime the NFL wants to cover up the truth, refuse to help athletes in need, and pay for bunk medical reports that claim that sports don't cause long term injuries, as if they're a cigarette company. Athletes that speak out will probably be labeled as weak, whiny, or selfish. The NFL are also a bunch of brand Nazi's. Put "Superbowl" on advertisement for your small restaurant, and see how long it takes for the NFL to gleefully sue you. I've said before that I don't find sports that interesting, but even if I did, the whole entity is so corrupt that it makes me ill. It's like a gross amalgamation of everything I hate about people. Seeing drunk, shirtless buffoons cry out like animals doesn't really peak my interest. I'll go read a nice book, or go for a hike, or visit a friend, and try to maintain my optimistic outlook on people.

Rebel_Raven

Jul 24, 2011
Fox12 said:
Rebel_Raven said:
Personally, I don't even think it's necessarily a "banner of the oppressors" thing. I mean, that certainly factors into it for some people, but I've found that athletes are just as varied and complex as anyone else. Some are awful, and some are muscly Mr. Rogers.

I think my issue is with sports culture in general. Some professional athletes are fine, but every time an athlete gets caught beating their wife, or child, or torturing an animal, they get a slap on the wrist and go home for a few weeks. Meanwhile, someone refuses to give an interview and they get slapped with a $25,000 fine. It's all about money. There's no ethics and accountability when an athlete steps out of line. And the business side is even worse. There are a lot of decent athletes out there, and they basically get treated like cattle by the NFL. There's a long history of athletes suffering long term physical difficulties caused by their years in professional sports, and contrary to popular belief, many of them have difficulty paying for their medical expenses. In the meantime the NFL wants to cover up the truth, refuse to help athletes in need, and pay for bunk medical reports that claim that sports don't cause long term injuries, as if they're a cigarette company. Athletes that speak out will probably be labeled as weak, whiny, or selfish. The NFL are also a bunch of brand Nazi's. Put "Superbowl" on advertisement for your small restaurant, and see how long it takes for the NFL to gleefully sue you. I've said before that I don't find sports that interesting, but even if I did, the whole entity is so corrupt that it makes me ill. It's like a gross amalgamation of everything I hate about people. Seeing drunk, shirtless buffoons cry out like animals doesn't really peak my interest. I'll go read a nice book, or go for a hike, or visit a friend, and try to maintain my optimistic outlook on people.
The problem with people in general is it's REALLY REALLY hard to see the good in a group of people when all you hear about nevermind experience is so much bad as to be all one can associate with the particular group.
It kinda grows a bristly defense when dealing with the good, sometimes, and kinda messes things up for everyone.
And it's only natural, so it's really hard to just turn off.
It's easy to forget that other people are people. It's easy to see so very little of a person.

Is there a quiet asshole that doesn't talk to people, and so forth that you know? They might not be an asshole. They might just have their guard up so they don't get burned as they had been for so long, and so often.
They might be wary of what you have yo say, because you're actively trying to sell them something, even.
There's a very real fear some have behind their unwillingness to socialize.

I agree with you on the sports angle. The way athletes are treated is pretty screwed up. It's not just professional levels, either. Kiddie leagues are screwed up, too.

Little Woodsman

Nov 11, 2012
bartholen said:
I was wondering another facet of this the other day: why is exercise still something that's not discussed in these kinds of forums?
Ummm... there are have been many threads about that subject in this forum.

There was one last week. It went the same way most of those threads do, with many, many posters giving friendly advice and support to the OP and talking about how much they love running/biking/hitting the gym and what they do to keep their diet on track/eat healthy.

Wasted

Dec 19, 2013
Sleekit said:
im gonna say this just once so pay very close attention and you might learn something:

"the video game community" =/= "in game and online".

those two things are not, in fact, the same thing.

Of course they are part of the video game community.

I never implied that they encompass all of the video game community.

Kalashnikov2092

Feb 15, 2011
Love me some hockey, American football is alright, but MMA is where it's at. Love it. Last night there was a really good UFC card in Sweden. It was full of upsets and great finishes, and because of that I had a great time hanging with my buddies. Don't let detractors of sports keep you down. Shit, me and my friends all play video games, D&D, do backyard wrestling, and watch sports. It's just that people are set in their ways and refuse to see any merit in something they don't like. Keep enjoying sports, everybody is allowed to do their own thing..

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
BloatedGuppy said:
Kenbo Slice said:
I've seen this happen a million times on sites like imgur and here and across the web. Somebody wants to talk about sports but then they usually just get shut down because "hurr durr sportz r dum." I really don't understand what geeks/gamers/nerds/whatever have against sports. I'm pretty fucking geeky but I also really love sports. So, why is this?
I like sports. A game is a game. I like games.

A lot of "nerds" dislike sports for fairly transparent reasons. Tribalism. Chip on shoulder from that time a jock hassled them. People who were once bullied often delight in turning the tables and bullying others. You see this perpetually in the "geek" community. It's as cliquey/culty as a sub-culture can possibly get, and more xenophobic and pre-emptively hostile than most.
This would be my answer as well. I wouldn't be surprised if some of these people who profess to hate all sports would actually thoroughly enjoy some of them if they made an attempt to get into them.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have a pre-party to go to for the NHL All-Star game!

Aerosteam

Get out while you still can
Sep 22, 2011
Sports are boring as fuck to watch compared to playing games.

Playing sports, however, that's something that doesn't appeal to me because I have to be physically fit to participate.

Reasonable Atheist

Mar 6, 2012
I have a cousin who plays in the NHL, that is hockey for those of you who are unaware. I tried real hard to care about it and watch his games and all that, and he really is very good, hes got a Stanley cup under his belt that whole thing.

Buuuuuut..... now I just cannot be bothered anymore. It is just so boring, I really do not understand how so many people can be so obsessed with watching other people playing a game. I totally get why he loves the game, hes playing it, hes competing, and he is payed a completely ridiculous amount of money to do so.

I file it under the same category of why i don't want to watch people play video games.... equally boring.

Proud of him though, hes made a great life for himself, and now his family, and can throw a mean party.

Ravenbom

Oct 24, 2008
I used to love rock climbing and hiking but getting older found fewer and fewer friends to share this with.
I still love golf but once again, when you get older, your friends have families and kids and you lose people to do these things with.

I enjoy fantasy football and I can enjoy watching football (mostly only with other people though) since there's only 16 games which makes every game a MUST-WIN game. Also, because there's only 16 games in a regular season, this is kind of the time the married friends can allocate to personal time, while restoring their own identity and sanity.

I'm not big into sports at all, but as a single dude among the married, I'll take the bro-time where I can.

DocJ

What am I doing here?
Jun 3, 2014
I wouldn't say I dislike sports. I'd say I dislike certain sports.
For instance football (soccer) has never appealed to me. Maybe because it put me in hospital more times than I like to count as a kid. Also the players are pricks.
On the other hand I go rock climbing, play tennis and go to archery contests simply because I enjoy them. (Totally not because if I didn't go I'd barely be able to lift a mug.)

William Ossiss

Apr 8, 2010
Anytime I have ever attempted to play any kind of sport, I would be yelled at in testosterone fueled rages. I make a single mistake, and it's like I pressed the detonator for world wide destruction. So I stopped playing altogether.

Watching sports is boring. Yeah, go team! Make the points, do the thing!

Pyrian

Hat Man
Legacy
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
Country
US
RedDeadFred said:
I wouldn't be surprised if some of these people who profess to hate all sports would actually thoroughly enjoy some of them if they made an attempt to get into them.
My annoyance with sports is precisely because it's inescapable in my culture. If I'm at a frikken business luncheon, it's just expected that everyone present knows about and can intelligently discuss recent baseball or (American) football games.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
As someone both very much a geek and a sports fan, it's always something that's puzzled me a little too. Hardcore gamers and sports fans share a fair amount in common.

Sleepy Sol

Feb 15, 2011
I'm a light sports fan, and can enjoy watching and playing them to some extent. However, any such occasions tend to get trumped by video games or internet shenanigans.

That said, I usually have at least a basic understanding of just about every sport (except cricket, like what the hell even is that), and often keep up with my favorite teams' W/L records.

Basketball is the most enjoyable for me to both play and watch, as a rather irrelevant aside. It doesn't require me to have the most goddamn perfect physique or have another person to play if all I want to do is take shots at the hoop.