Why do you hate Gamestop?

Myndnix

Aug 11, 2012
We don't have Gamestop here in Europe land as far as I'm aware, but during my stay in the US a couple of years ago, I became familiar with Gamestop and disliked it due to it's overpriced and poor selection of games.
The employees seemed nice enough however.

major_chaos

Ruining videogames
Feb 3, 2011
I don't hate them, they are the best place I have found to buy physical copies of games, because most other stores in my area are terrible and shopping online has the annoying tendency to force you to chose either waiting a week to actually get the game or paying fifteen bucks for non-shitty shipping.

bitzi61

Jan 28, 2009
I am from Canada, and we actually have both EB games and Gamestops here. (At least in the mall near my house). I've never had a problem with games not working, I have returned/sold games to them for a decient price (only if the game was selling of course!) and have had nothing but great conversations with the staff at these stores. Perhaps it's because I'm Canadian and shop here that I don't have these problems... >.> but more OT, I don't think that Gamestop is truely that bad.

Mar 7, 2012
Savo said:
-Games are overpriced. I can get better deals at Amazon, plus a better selection.

-Used games tend to be in mediocre condition, such as having no case. This is a big no-no for someone who has a small interest in collecting like me.

-Employees act like douchebags. I have several Gamestops in my area that I have been to over the years, and I can't think of a Gamestop employee who didn't act like a pushy pre-order whoring jerk. I am told that this isn't completely their fault, as the company makes them do it, but it still makes me hate them.
1.I actually completely disagree. But maybe it's a case by case thing.

I typically look for more obscure and rare games. One thing I love about Gamestop is that they usually budget price those games. While on Amazon they can go for up to 3 times the amount they are at Gamestop.

2. What do you expect? Used games are really only meant to be playable and nothing more. Not for collecting. If you got a new game and it was in used condition, that's another story.

3. I completely disagree on this. I actually find that the employees are overhelpful. If I want your help I'll ask for it, you know?

Captcha: fezes are cool. Damn straight.

theSHAH

Jul 31, 2011
There are a lot of little reasons but my overall reason is the pushy sales atmosphere

clippen05

Jul 10, 2012
Recommending bad games to unaware consumers, asking about preorders and Game informer, and last but certainly not least, their prices. Gamestop are the cheapest SOBs I know that's why I rarely do business there. Trade-ins for a new game? 9$ or less. Used Game prices? $5 less than New when I can find it on the Internet for $30 less. Their online store for PC games is no better, they only put on sale the worst and oldest games (However, I don't check it that frequently) also, they'll never be less than 40-50% off, no steam sales where prices go down to $5. Only good thing I can say is they sell Steam cards, which allows me to get 200% more value for my money when buying for PC (gaming master race)

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
Over here in Australia we have EB Games, and while I don't go there much anymore due to online stores being far cheaper, when I pre-order a game for a collectors edition its EB games I go to (or to get hardware like keyboard etc). Their usually easy to get along with and never had an issue.

Awesomesauce123

May 5, 2012
I don't mind them at all, they're a cool store. My only complaint is sometimes the used games don't have cases, or missing manuals, which I hate, I want complete sets with everything that came with the game originally.

Sanshou

Jul 1, 2012
FelixG said:
1- Pushing buying used, go fuck yourself, no I dont want you to go get me a used copy off the shelf, I want to support the people who makes the games you stupid fucktard
Fair enough if you dont want a used game, just politely tell them that, they're just trying to help. And there's no need to be a prick about it. Being British and middle class means that social etiquette is sort of the norm, but the rest of the world cant really be that misanthropic?

Personally im all for used games. Because I understand that games shops are businesses, they provide a service for your money, unless you buy something you have no rights to demand anything. If the used game is in a working condition then why not save $20 or whatever on a purchase?

Its those sort of comments that crop up on these forums that make me dislike parts of the escapist forum community. Someone who offers you something that it is reasonable to assume you may want isnt stupid or a fucktard, they're just doing their job and trying to help.

/white-knighting

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
i don't hate them, i just no long have need of them. they are over priced though, but only console i have now is a PS2, and if i go shopping for that, it'll be some where else

Gatx

Jul 7, 2011
Savo said:
-Games are overpriced. I can get better deals at Amazon, plus a better selection.
There is just one situation, at least for me and it doesn't happen to often, where this isn't true: good games that may not have been commercial successes and become, I guess, "rare." Like I recently got a hankering to play some SRPGs so I looked up Luminous Arc for the DS. $84 on Amazon new and $20 used. Gamestop has it for $8 (though probably without a case). Old games generally never go past $20 at Gamestop, but they're value might climb past what they cost when they were released elsewhere.

Baralak

Dec 9, 2009
Sanshou said:
FelixG said:
1- Pushing buying used, go fuck yourself, no I dont want you to go get me a used copy off the shelf, I want to support the people who makes the games you stupid fucktard
Fair enough if you dont want a used game, just politely tell them that, they're just trying to help. And there's no need to be a prick about it. Being British and middle class means that social etiquette is sort of the norm, but the rest of the world cant really be that misanthropic?

Personally im all for used games. Because I understand that games shops are businesses, they provide a service for your money, unless you buy something you have no rights to demand anything. If the used game is in a working condition then why not save $20 or whatever on a purchase?

/white-knighting
You mean $5. Used games go for $5 less than a new copy. $10 less if you paid the $15/year for their card.

Personally, I have no issues with them. Staff is nice and friendly where I am, here in Virginia, and usually a decent game selection, and I've only ever had 1 broken game from them, which they replaced no problem. I don't like the trade-in prices, so I wait for a special. I've been buying less from them lately, though, because there's just no more good games coming out right now, and most games I've been wanting to play are either still too expensive (currently jobless) or I wound up getting on Steam for less, thanks to the summer sale. In fact, thanks to Ubisoft's sale on their Uplay service, I'm currently downloading Driver: San Francisco for $1.

Still, while I wish they would throw a bone to some publishers with their used game profits, no personal beef with them. Heck, the staff even told my mom they like when I come in with a stack of games, because they know mine are almost always in great shape.

cthulhuspawn82

Oct 16, 2011
The last time I was in a Gamestop was years ago. The guy asked me if I wanted to sign up for a Gamestop card, I said no, and he said "why not?" When the customer says no, that's the end of the discussion.

Nietz

Dec 1, 2009
I live in Sweden. In my general area we have a couple of GameStop and GAME stores. I've actually never had a big problem with any of them. They do have some bad stock(I'm a pc-gamer with a particular interest in physical copies of games, weird, huh), but some of them offer some sweet deals on older games.
Most of the tellers at these places have been pretty all-right. Most of them are never to pushy and get the hint quick. I'd actually like to say that the tellers at the GAME that is on my way home from work are truly bro-teir dudes.

Sanshou

Jul 1, 2012
Nietz said:
I'd actually like to say that the tellers at the GAME that is on my way home from work are truly bro-teir dudes.
I had several GAME stories near me and there was always great customer service in there too.

kyosai7 said:
You mean $5. Used games go for $5 less than a new copy. $10 less if you paid the $15/year for their card.
Well it depends on the game i guess, over here in the UK pre owned games are typically about £5-£15 cheaper than the brand new title, depending on age.

Launcelot111

Jan 19, 2012
clippen05 said:
Gamestop are the cheapest SOBs I know that's why I rarely do business there. Trade-ins for a new game? 9$ or less.
People who ***** about trade in prices always annoy me. Who the hell else is giving you money for games you don't want? You can go to a game store or to Best Buy, or you can go nowhere. If you're mad that Gamestop resells your $5 buck trade in for $40 bucks, then by all means, go on Craigslist or Ebay and try to get that price. I'm sure you can get it, but it's work on your part and you don't know what you'll end up with. Gamestop is guaranteed to take your game and give you something for it, and if you wait for a good trade in deal, you can get a very nice amount with convenience as well. You might not think the prices are fair, but there aren't exactly heaps of stores buying your stuff back.

Leon Pendragon

Mar 26, 2011
Well there is that thing where a game they sell for $29.99 will only get you $2.10 if you trade it in is sorta bullshit. Back when they had some actual competition (I.E. Gamecrazy) you would get maybe 10$ or 15$ for that same game and there was a reason to trade it in. Last week I went in there with 5 games and they were all 15$ or more games on the used rack, they offered me 3$ for the whole bunch -_-

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
There are a few reasons:

*Inconsistent pricing: You may have noticed on their website that some games are cheaper to buy new than used (like Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2)

*No disc-repair: There's a game shop I use called Play N Trade which will resurface discs for you for a small fee. This basically repairs CDs, DVDs and, games. At Gamestop they don't offer this kind of service. I think other non-game places do this or rather, back when there were places like Tower Records and Suncoast...Also the sleeve-cases they use for used/gutted discs seem to scratch up game discs.

*Poor selection/nothing older than last gen: A nit-pick honestly since a gamestop's selection is always different depending on where you are. I realize the market for SNES games is lower than that for 360 games but I know there are people out there who collect for their older consoles.

*Selling open/used games as new: When you work at gamestop you can 'rent' games. This is only meant to happen with used games but new games get rented out among employees too. Also, despite their policy on gutting new games, most gamestops I visit almost never have new games that are also sealed in the original plastic.

*No training program: When I worked there, I was thrown behind the counter on day one with no prior training.

*Overall shitty work conditions: If you're a manager you've got it made. If you're not, then you don't. As a basic team member (game associate?) you are basically being pressured by the higher-ups to sell pre-orders and, magazine subscriptions. You're penalized if you fail to make those sales but if you do make good numbers you don't make any sort of commission or really advance in any way. There have been days working in Gamestop when I had to man the register, bundle traded-in consoles and, look at more trade-in items while the manager and her assistant sat in the back of the store (not back room) and played with this new 3DS thing everyone was talking about. Not everyone is going to be like that obviously but it seems like the managers abuse their position in Gamestop based on what I've heard from friends who also have experience working in Gamestop.

*They owe me money (shit work conditions cont.): At gamestop you either get direct deposit (not an option for me when I worked there) or a Comdata card. If you don't know what a Comdata card it's because nobody accepts them (not even McDonalds) and the only way to get money off of them is to use an ATM. Other than the $2 - $4 ATM fee, one can only take out money in $20 increments from ATM machines. In ATM fees alone, Gamestop owes me about $40 but on top of that is about $18 still on my comdata card that I haven't been able to access since I left the company early in 2011. It's a relatively small amount and I really don't think its worth a court battle honestly but it's still not right to offer those two options alone and not one for a proper paycheck. My hours were shit (another common complaint for non-manager, store employees) but a check would have still been nice.

While working at Gamestop, I was told by my manager that I could be replaced within the week. It was the first and only time a manager or, higher up had said anything like this to me at any job I've worked.

If you have about an hour, I think this still holds up nicely (even if it does end abruptly). It goes into greater detail on some of the points I made. Not made by me but something I stumbled upon soon after leaving Gamestop.

Baralak

Dec 9, 2009
Leon Pendragon said:
Well there is that thing where a game they sell for $29.99 will only get you $2.10 if you trade it in is sorta bullshit. Back when they had some actual competition (I.E. Gamecrazy) you would get maybe 10$ or 15$ for that same game and there was a reason to trade it in. Last week I went in there with 5 games and they were all 15$ or more games on the used rack, they offered me 3$ for the whole bunch -_-
Yeah, they could easily up hose much they give you and still make a nice profit on mass numbers, a lone. I figure at least half of what they'll sell the game for would be okay.

TheNaut131

Jul 6, 2011
Well, I never really had any opinions on Gamestop one way or another.

That was until I found out they had an extensive collection of PS2 games, consisting of ones my brother either sold or threw away.

To which I say "BOMB DIGGITY!"

But I could go to amazon or another place and possibly get them in better condition...

Eh, whatever.