Why do you hate Skyrim?

RedHighwind07

Aug 11, 2011
I don't hold a deep dislike for it, but it's definitely not the greatest game ever made IMO. I was kind of bored of it after 10 hours. No one was more shocked than me, but I really couldn't be drawn into it like I was with Oblivion. It was kind of monotonous I thought.

Nocola

Aug 10, 2009
Exerzet said:
I don't hate the game per se, but I DO hate the fact that I never tire when playing it. Suddenly it's tomorrow, and I have school o_o;
Try suddenly it's next week, and I have an exam.... Balls. o__________o

McNinja

Sep 21, 2008
Hate? Nah. Dislike somewhat? yeah.

The reason is that I don't care. The game never introduced real characters, just people. You are never given enough time to care about them, or the cities or towns you are trying to save from Alduin. The questlines are far too short, and it seems like chunks are missing from them. I mean, you walk into the college, do a spell (I had to do a flame atronach, my friend had to do healing hands), get in, do three quests, and BAM, you're the archmage of the college. Really? I just got here three hours ago. The Thieves guild questline seems longer than the rest, though.

And the game really glosses over that whole "end of the world" thing. People only mention it in passing, then stop caring. They basically say "Yup, worlds gonna end, Alduins here, you gonna do something about it?" There's no build up to it, nor is it epic or hard. It is the same as every other dragon fight in the game. The imperial and stormcloak quests are the same. No real build up, neither of the factions have much personality (except the stormcloaks are racist), and the quests end up just being dull with no real satisfying end. It's just like "wow, was that it?"

If you can beat a game's main questline in under 3 hours, either you cheated, or the game needs to be fixed.

Overall, I liked the game. It was a fun 89 hours.

ryanthemadman

Nov 5, 2010
Well, my biggest problems are as such (btw i love skyrim too, but its not without its flaws):
1. The loot. While it has a large variety of loot and stuff to sell, eventually you'll get to the point of the game where the economy of the entire country cannot take it. You'll end up taking an hour and a half nearly for every dungeon to sell the gratuitous amounts of shit you find! I found things I didn't want or need and even had one moment where I couldn't sell something because it was too expensive for anyone to buy. While I could have bought a few things from those people, they had nothing I wanted. I have the armor and can make the weapons I want cheaper than I can buy them and I have over 300 lockpicks, more potions than i even need, scrolls I keep forgetting about, and more arrows than I could possibly hope to use so that stuffs out of the question.
2. I wish they would bring back the Oblivion selling. So that way I didn't have to spend to much time selling shit.
3. I hate the NPCs. While a few of them are enduring, almost all of them ANNOY THE SHIT OUT OF ME! I think I've heard every one of them's repeated 2 or 3 lines at least 50000000000000000000 times and I don't want to hear them anymore. Usually I save and go on a rampage in every hold, killing anything that moves and that usually helps me out. But if someone makes a MOD to shut them up I will sell my 360 copy and buy the PC one. Even though I'll have to get a new video card as mine sucks.

Duffeknol

Aug 28, 2010
babinro said:
There are plenty of valid reasons to hate this game. A lot of what Skyrim does is just sub-par compared to gaming standards this generation.

- The combat plays like it's 10 years old with almost no sense of excitement
- Challenge comes from enemies having more hp as their tactics never change
- Enemy AI is predictable and idiotic
- There are very few reactions to what is going on in the world causing immersion to be lost very easily.
- The UI is playable but not intuitive and sometimes annoying
- The game as I understand can become almost unplayable after enough hours on the PS3
- Level scaling has improved but still feels like a grind in the late game
- There is almost no attachment to characters in the game
- The story, while acceptable, seldom becomes gripping or truly interesting to play through. My main exception to this was the Dark Brotherhood which I loved.

I take the opposite approach in that I'm actually surprised a lot of people don't vocally hate this game. Prior TES fans included. This is a game that refuses to evolve into current generation gaming and feels like a solid expansion to Oblivion.

All the above being said though, I've put 80 hours in the game and intend to play more. The game disappoints on its potential, but the overall experience is still fun enough to keep me playing.
I was actually already typing a huge rant, when I decided to scroll up just a wee bit and saw this post. Didn't bother finishing my story, you already summed it up.

archvile93

Sep 2, 2009
Actually I felt like I wouldn't like it because it seemed too much like Oblivion. From what others have told me, despite the new voice actors the characters still feel like there's nothing behind them but just a few canned responses. The animations are still poor, the combat still feels floaty and lacks weight or enjoyment, your actions continue to have virtually no impact on anything save for a few dialogue changes. Evidently killing all those dragons barbequeing the landscape and ending a civil war weren't all that important. The world is still big but still almost completely deviod of unique or interesting things, and there's still piles and piles of bugs and glitches. You can say they might patch them later, but one, that doesn't make them go away now, and two, I might run two 100 mile marathons back to back in the same day, but that doesn't mean I will.

Diddy_Mao

Jan 14, 2009
jhon216 said:
Oh and as for all the glitches and whatnot, patches to fix those will come, as I recall Oblivion had a few of those as well.
Let me get this out of the way first. "They'll fix it later" Should never be an excuse for a company releasing a flawed product.
Yes, I know full well that releasing bug free software is damned near impossible. Sometimes glitches happen that are impossible to recreate in a QA environment, I know that.
But with the number and severity of bugs I've seen reported about Skyrim...that just reeks of the company releasing the product before it could be completely tested.
For all I know it could be some executive douche nozzle insisting on a specific street date and the developers having to cut their QA period short, I can't speak to that. But at the end of the day the result is the same.
Someone knew that the brand has enough loyalty to turn a profit on an unfinished product and to me, that's just not okay for ANY game.

--

As for my hatred for Skyrim? I don't hate it, I don't CARE about it is more accurate. Having played Daggerfall, Morrowind, Oblivion (And for the sake of this particular argument I'll include Fallout 3) I've learned that I don't particularly care for Bethesda's open world RPG titles.

The games sell themselves on the idea of making my own character however I want and letting me explore the world and interact with it in a manner of my choosing. In my experience that level of blank slate game play means that the developers end up having to write encounters that are generic enough to work regardless of what choices I've made. This inevitably translates into a game that feels flat, impersonal and boring.

Skyrim could very well be different, for all I know this game could read my mind and have a 24 hour team of script writers on duty to type up content specifically designed to make my game experience awesome.

I wouldn't know because I just don't have enough good will stored up with Bethesda to care.

deadfishy12

Dec 17, 2011
I'm on X-Box and this is why I hate Skyrim, I've wasted $60 and a few hundred hours on a game that apparently was broken from the start and neve should have beemn releasedL Herte are MY ISSUES:

>The non-completable quests unless done in the right order... (or not in some cases)
>The quest items you cannot get rid of despite finishing their quest
>The Markarth Guard bug which I can't fix despite trying every possible solution I've found online
>The random freezes when running about
>The broken autosaves (I wasted two hours of my life today collecting crimson ninroot assuming auto save would work when the innevitable crash upon exiting blackreach occurred... It didn't)
>The bookshelves that were supposed to be fixed in 1.3 haven't been fixed.
>Random dragon corpses falling out of the sky after fast-traveling to certain places.
>not being able to finish later quest if you pick up and quest item before being assigned the quest
>the flute, drum, and lute in my inventory
>removing bounty notes from inventory makes them unable to claim
>the random missing floors/walls
>the time wasted waiting for console load screens (while my PC using roommate instantly loads)
>the Uncompletable Dwemer Convector quest(unless you get lucky enough to receive and exploit the duplicate gem glitch for these missions)

matej

Dec 22, 2011
Hey everybody,

I would like to state my opinion and reasons why I hate skyrim and find it utterly boring.
When I was a kid i got a game called Dune 2 and I fell in love with gaming. After that came UFO1,2 Terror from the deep and soon there was baldur's gate 1, fallout 1, baldur's gate 2 and fallout 2 and my all time favorite game planscape torment.

Some of those games how can i decribe it i remember every weapon not just talking sword, every NPC, all quests and the difference of every city and culture. Good story, and great villains like Bodhi, Irenikus or Ravel in PT.

In that time there was also a game called Daggerfall witch I hated - boring, repetitive, i need something more to involve me in a game) ( like Diablo (hack and slash game) just couldn't play it and got bored soon)

Daggerfall was first game in this sequel - Morrovind, Oblivion, Skyrim and I hate them all.

Spend days playing game and after all this time can't remember story, a single character or city, just how empty, soulless and shallow they felt. All i can remember was walking for hours and killing stupid random monsters and tons of f...g glass shields.

In BG i was a hero for a good reason and story was epic. Planscape was even better.

I don't like where gaming is going. Dragon age 1 was ok - better than Ice wind dale and neverwinter nights but not even close to fallout2, BG2 or Plasncape torment. KOTOR was good game but more of action type. Mass effect 2 i found boring ... RPG's are gone...

POINT:
Soulless and boring game for wasting time...

DementedSheep

Jan 8, 2010
Really? I?ve seen a few hating on it but the overwhelming majority are gushing over it...yet threads asking why people hate it keep popping up. There are some who just arn't into it of course and people criticize aspects of it but that?s not hate. Are being hating on it in other fourms or somthing?
I'm pissed at it for glitching the Greybeards and sending me back 7 hours and for constantly selecting the wrong dialogue option. They will patch it eventually is not a valid excuse for glitches. You don't buy a game and expect to have to wait a couple of months to be able to play it.

McMarbles

May 7, 2009
I knew a guy who hated Skyrim, but then he took an arrow in the knee. And then I smashed in his skull with a crowbar for repeating that stupid frelling meme again.

AyreonMaiden

Sep 24, 2010
I don't hate it, but I'm trying so hard to adore it too. I've given up on slagging it off for the bugs because I've made my point several times already and it's getting old. But I literally came home for xmas break, plugged the PS3, turned on Skyrim and played. I was lost in it for half an hour, then got sleepy and went to bed. A normal session.

Next morning I was plugging the Xbox to replay Deus Ex: HR and continue my Morrowind playthrough, then watched La Femme Nikita and Stargate SG-1 with my mom.

After that, and to this day, I just play Morrowind after work and watch shows with mom, without thinking twice about shiny, snowy, newfangled Skyrim.

Then again, I didn't get into Oblivion till much later, too. Maybe the reason I can't is because of my ambivalence combined with the fact that no one will shut the fuck up about its godly greatness. You ever tried to sleep with Mariah Carey's "All I Want for Christmas Is You" stuck in your head? I've been trying to for the past two days with very, very little success. Thank work radio and majority rule for that.

It's a lot like that, the Skyrim praises...And it sucks. I wanna feel for it what I felt for Zelda and Deus Ex previously. I wanna party with all the Skyrim fans, but right now it's not happening at all. Not compelled in the least.

LilithSlave

Sep 1, 2011
I don't hate the game. I haven't even played it. What I can't stand though is the hype and how people go on about it incessantly. I have, on the other hand, seen gameplay videos and said "so what" just like I always have about the other Elder Scrolls games. Some people claim to give My Little Pony fans heck because it's everywhere? Skyrim is everywhere. And I'm sick of it.

Edit: And oh God, those "arrow to the knee jokes". So old. So, annoyingly old. Please, enough with them.