Why do you suppose Canada is never a civilation choice in the Civilation games?

Tiger Sora

Aug 23, 2008
Atticus89 said:
To the best of my knowledge, Canada has never declared war against another nation on its own and doesn't have as large a military reputation or history in comparison to the other nations, present or defunct, in the Civilization series. The same can be said of Australia and New Zealand.

Though if there was a Canada in the Civilization series, which leader or important historical figure would be the best representation of Canada?
None other than the greatest Prime Minister we've ever had Pierre Trudeau.

Space Spoons

Aug 21, 2008
While it's possible to go the diplomatic, scientific and economic routes, waging war plays a huge part in the Civilization series. As unfair as it seems, Civilizations that don't boast a powerful military (or at least ones that were once known for military strength) really don't belong in the roster.

Germany has the Panzer. France has the Musketeer. The US has the Navy SEAL. Japan has the Samurai. Who could Canada possibly have?

Colourcubify

Nov 5, 2011
Ilikemilkshake said:
No offence to Canadia and its citizens but its a relatively young country, and hasnt really ever been a big civilization that has dominated the world... perhaps it will be Canadia that leads us into future Utopia that will last for a thousand years.. but as it is Canada isnt a country on par with the likes of Rome or Greece or any of the other countries that dominated their time.

EDIT: although i remember in Civ 2 you could Name your own Civ and Leader.. Which i do think they should've retained for the later games in the series.
First, it's Canada, not Canadia. One of my ticks is when people mess that up ^^;

Second, the United States is pretty much the same age as Canada, yet you could still play as them. I'm not trying to say that I want the play as Canada (I feel it would be very similar to playing as Britain or America) I'm just pointing that out.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
bdcjacko said:
You know, I don't think it is even a city state in civ 5. Hell even Austrialia gets a city state and the Sydney Opera house is a world wonder. Canada is left out in the cold.
Quebec City was in there.

That sound you heard was a quarter of Western Canada retching.

Midnight Crossroads

Jul 17, 2010
That's nothing.

Italy is never included.

Yet Germany and the Holy Roman Empire are both civs.
And so are Rome and the Byzantines.
And the Byzantines and the Ottoman Turks.
And the Byzantines and Greece.

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
So play as England, or France, or England and France!

Space Spoons said:
snip
Germany has the Panzer. France has the Musketeer. The US has the Navy SEAL. Japan has the Samurai. Who could Canada possibly have?
Benton Fraser?

Ilikemilkshake

Jun 7, 2010
Colourcubify said:
Ilikemilkshake said:
No offence to Canadia and its citizens but its a relatively young country, and hasnt really ever been a big civilization that has dominated the world... perhaps it will be Canadia that leads us into future Utopia that will last for a thousand years.. but as it is Canada isnt a country on par with the likes of Rome or Greece or any of the other countries that dominated their time.

EDIT: although i remember in Civ 2 you could Name your own Civ and Leader.. Which i do think they should've retained for the later games in the series.
First, it's Canada, not Canadia. One of my ticks is when people mess that up ^^;

Second, the United States is pretty much the same age as Canada, yet you could still play as them. I'm not trying to say that I want the play as Canada (I feel it would be very similar to playing as Britain or America) I'm just pointing that out.
Firstly, im not an idiot, i know its not really called Canadia...
Secondly Yes you have a point about America, but they've still done an almost infinite amount more on the global scale of things compared with Canada.
And Thirdly, how would it be like playing Britain? The Britons have been around for thousands of years (and apart from anything i dont think you can even play as Britain, you play as the English)

CM156_v1legacy

Revelation 9:6
Mar 23, 2011
DracoSuave said:
You had Canada as a civ in Civilization: Call to Power.

Trudeau sends out his warmechs for the win!
So they picked Trudeau? That's... actually a pretty good choice, all things considered. I would have picked John A. Macdonald or William Lyon Mackenzie King, but I suppose Trudeau works.

Although, they could have picked Kim Campbell... That would be kinda funny, don't you think?

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Tiger Sora said:
None other than the greatest Prime Minister we've ever had Pierre Trudeau.
As an Albertan, I'd be forced to play against Canada every time and go out of my way to grind them into dust.

Space Spoons said:
India had the "Fast Worker". Canada could have a non-military unit, too.

And while Canada doesn't have an immediately recognizable unique military unit, they had many big moments in warfare. Canadians found out a foolproof way to survive a mustard gas attack, for instance (urinating into a handkerchief and spreading it over your face), among other things.

Brian Hendershot

Mar 3, 2010
NowAndZen said:
Soren Bowie explores why this might be here:

http://www.cracked.com/article_18454
Soren Bowie can't explain shit cause that link is broken my friend :/ Which is sad because I enjoy his articles.

Anyhow, I feel like this is going to turn into one of those "America" threads. You know what kind I mean.

Anyhow, not all countries could be included. I feel like they picked powers that were really powerful (i.e., causing wars) and different from each other. I'm not a super hardcore civie player but it seems to me that most of the countries are pretty different. Adding more countries might mess up any balance to the gameplay.

Plus, Britain, the States and France--that one is for you Quebec--are in the game. I'm not a Canadianologist but based on the one postcard and HIMYM I received from Toronto, those countries are mix together and form Canada.

CleverCover

Nov 17, 2010
Because well....what has Canada really done to affect world order?
What decision did Canada make that would have changed the world as we know it completely?
Are they famous for their military? Science? Have they ever taken over other people? Is there a section on world history dedicated to something they did?

Don't hurt me. I love you Canada. 'waves maple leaf flag'
I like you because you're safe and a place to run to once America finally screws itself over. Don't change.

Smeggs

Oct 21, 2008
Ghandi created his massive tyrranical army there in my last game. That wasw an interesting 2000-something year war.

Grottnikk

Mar 19, 2008
If Canada was a nation, they'd probably make Sir John A. MacDonald the leader. He was our first PM and united the country from coast to coast with a railway system.

Razzmata77

Mar 31, 2011
I think maybe the biggest weakness of the series to date, is that it has clung to history and historic figures so rigorously. And I say this as a civ fan and repeating addict. Isn't the whole point of the game that you change the history of the world?

Not only would dropping that eliminate all this kind of weirdness because of the differences between the game and real history, but it also frees the designers of a lot of design-constraints. And that could make the game even better.

But on-topic, Canada, lovely country as it may be, was never an empire or ruling civilization of any kind. They have always been territories.

Space Spoons said:
Who could Canada possibly have?
Their terrible legions of fearless Mounties, what else.

mrhappy1489

May 12, 2011
bdcjacko said:
You know, I don't think it is even a city state in civ 5. Hell even Austrialia gets a city state and the Sydney Opera house is a world wonder. Canada is left out in the cold.
hahaha that's a first maybe I should try that game, but then again the wonder should be a rugby stadium

Dorano

Aug 29, 2011
Atticus89 said:
Though if there was a Canada in the Civilization series, which leader or important historical figure would be the best representation of Canada?
This, I can't think of any instantly memorable leaders or historical figures that would LEAD it in Civ.

Dunkerloop

Aug 8, 2011
Canada's a Fairly new country, and because of that hasn't had much time to make a large effect on Long-Term History (Not talking about like the last 100 years, I'm talking about the last 1000 years). As for the US being included, I'll admit it doesn't make much sense really. They've had a large effect on both Short and Long Term History (Mainly Short), but in the end, they haven't made as a big an impact as other countries.

Colourcubify

Nov 5, 2011
Ilikemilkshake said:
Colourcubify said:
Ilikemilkshake said:

Firstly, im not an idiot, i know its not really called Canadia...
Secondly Yes you have a point about America, but they've still done an almost infinite amount more on the global scale of things compared with Canada.
And Thirdly, how would it be like playing Britain? The Britons have been around for thousands of years (and apart from anything i dont think you can even play as Britain, you play as the English)
I was just checking about the Canadia thing, because some people don't actually know.

I get what you're saying about how America is more well known for doing global stuff, but I wouldn't say 'infinite'. That's going a little far, considering all of our peacekeeping and war efforts with the States.

And I said it would be similar to playing Britain because we're a spawn of Britain and if you were playing as Canada back when it was created, it was very, very similar to Britain. And isn't England a part of Britain? I'm not very good at geography, but I feel like it is, or vice versa.