Why do you suppose Canada is never a civilation choice in the Civilation games?

TacticalAssassin1

Elite Member
May 29, 2009
Midnight Crossroads said:
That's nothing.

Italy is never included.

Yet Germany and the Holy Roman Empire are both civs.
And so are Rome and the Byzantines.
And the Byzantines and the Ottoman Turks.
And the Byzantines and Greece.
I'm pretty sure Italy was in Civ IV?
At least I kind of remember trying to ally up with them to go attack everyone as Germany, maybe it was somebody else...

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
Because Canada for most of its existence was a British colony. Only relatively recently (compared to entire British History in American Continent) did it get real independence and autonomy. Arguably this was in 1922 but truly it was not till 1982 when Canada FINALLY gained the right to change its constitution regardless of permission from Britain.

Then again, I've never played civilisation.

My knowledge of history suggest you can't have a stone age Canadian. Cultures spread, evolve and adapt. Canadians today came from Europeans who were largely culturally influenced by the Romans and Christianity who were in turn influenced by the Greeks and Babylonians and before that it gets even more complicated going back to stone age.

that's what I didn't get about Civilisation. Real human civilisation came out of a group of homo sapiens who left Africa via what is now Saudi Arabia. It split off into so many different groups with different aims, goals and ideas. The idea that you start with one group and stick with them through to space-travel and you can somehow control these groups, leaders are leaders, they are much more at the whim of the fickle needs and desires of their people.

You may be a leader who doesn't want war, but if your people want war then you may very well be deposed by someone who will have the people's support.

Randomologist

Aug 6, 2008
Pretty much for the reasons mentioned here, it is still technically a colony of the UK.

Those saying that the US shouldn't be there, the US won a war against its colonial master, and within a little more than a century was the most powerful nation on the planet. Its massive quantities of land, resources and industrial might also mean that the US was and still is a major political and cultural force. Even if they didn't exactly invade other countries, its a conglomeration of states that forms a powerful political force. That's an empire.

Sucal

Dragonborn Ponyeater
Dec 23, 2009
Atticus89 said:
To the best of my knowledge, Canada has never declared war against another nation on its own and doesn't have as large a military reputation or history in comparison to the other nations, present or defunct, in the Civilization series. The same can be said of Australia and New Zealand.

Though if there was a Canada in the Civilization series, which leader or important historical figure would be the best representation of Canada?
Hey I take offense to that. Australia was the first allied nation to fire shots in both World War One and Two. Interestingly enough, in both cases they were aiming at the Germans.. or to be more specific the Germans that had the bad luck to be in Australian Harbors when their country declared war.

redisforever

Oct 5, 2009
One of the Beyond The Sword mods has Canada. Also, we haven't really done anything independently until the late 40's, I believe.

Blandman

Jan 8, 2009
I haven't read most of the topic, but I do know the Canadians were the only ones to achieve all of their objectives in time during the D-Day landings.

Yay Canada.

tehroc

Jul 6, 2009
Doesn't Hiawatha technically count as Canadian?

Does Canada have anything that would count as a wonder?

Saris Kai

Oct 5, 2009
tehroc said:
Doesn't Hiawatha technically count as Canadian?

Does Canada have anything that would count as a wonder?
He lived on the wrong side of Lake Ontario. Personally I have no problem with Canada being left out for not having a long history or large impact militarily (we have had many scientific and social impacts however) but the fact that the Iroquois, a group of stone age primitives who didn't even count as a civilization until that term was specifically redefined so they could be included due to political correctness run amok bothers me quite a bit. This is coming from someone who is native canadian btw, my native ancestors realized the white man must be doing something properly, ditched their traditions and moved to the city in the 19th century and their descendant didn't live with poverty and addiction as a result.

aba1

Mar 18, 2010
I am just going to say that Canada does plenty of things just not go to war which is why people don't notice us as much. At no point in history have we made assholes of ourselves in front of the whole world and well if that means not making it into some games I don't mind I would rather live in a safe peaceful country than one who would up n go to war at the drop of a hat.

mew4ever23

Mar 21, 2008
We kinda have an interesting cultural identity. Such that we're sorta hard to notice.

Honestly, we really don't need to be in a civ game.

GotMalkAvian

Feb 4, 2009
I have absolutely nothing against Canada, but I believe the sad truth of the matter is that Canada isn't that iconic of a nation. Speaking as a non-Canadian, there doesn't seem to be an overwhelming cultural identity that immediately identifies a representation as undeniably Canadian (unless we're going for stereotypes like Mounties), nor has Canada ever really had a political leader with worldwide recognition.

GrandmaFunk

Oct 19, 2009
Satsuki666 said:
lacktheknack said:
bdcjacko said:
You know, I don't think it is even a city state in civ 5. Hell even Austrialia gets a city state and the Sydney Opera house is a world wonder. Canada is left out in the cold.
Quebec City was in there.

That sound you heard was a quarter of Western Canada retching.
Lies, lies all lies. That sound was far more then a quarter of Western Canada. We all know nobody likes Quebec City. Hell not even the dirty stinking french like it.
your bigotry is showing.

also, everyone loves Quebec City.

Feb 28, 2008
If you made Canada a civilization, what would be your criteria for excluding Australia, or New Zealand, or ... the list goes on. It's a very nice country, I'm told, but Canada has yet to change the course of world history dramatically. I would echo that point made by others though, that the US is a rather weakly justified country to have on the list.

aba1

Mar 18, 2010
Torrasque said:
The Magical Hobo said:
As a Canadian I have to point out that we burned down the White House twice, and were the only country to achieve our D-Day objectives on time. That said as much I love my country, we don't sell games.
I don't like talking to Americans about what we did in WW2, cuz they always think I am making it up =/
That, and the whole "you actually didn't do as much as you think you did" doesn't go over well with them.
ccggenius12 said:
Also, am I allowed to find it hilarious that one of Canada's crowning military accomplishments is apparently pissing on a rag? I'm sorry, it just strikes me as unfortunate that that's something to be proud of.
Not when you take into consideration, that it was done to survive a mustard gas attack. In WW1, you had two options when the enemy used mustard gas:
1. Lol cuz you have a gas mask
2. Run for your life
Considering we didn't fuck around when it came to defending places, I'd say our makeshift gas masks are better than the alternative: having your lungs incinerated.
It would be like surviving a nuclear strike by spreading feces over you face; it sucks to do, but it is better than death
I agree with you but thought I should point out pee is not feces poo is. Pee is actually mostly just water

Brandon Logan

Jan 20, 2011
Atticus89 said:
Though if there was a Canada in the Civilization series, which leader or important historical figure would be the best representation of Canada?
Don Cherry or Tim Horton. I'm Canadian so it's okay when I say it.

DracoSuave

Jan 26, 2009
CM156 said:
So they picked Trudeau? That's... actually a pretty good choice, all things considered. I would have picked John A. Macdonald or William Lyon Mackenzie King, but I suppose Trudeau works.

Although, they could have picked Kim Campbell... That would be kinda funny, don't you think?
Sir John, Eh? just happened to be the first to get power. Other than his rampant drinkery, he wasn't terribly noteworthy.

No way, the Canadian leader should have been John George Diefenbaker, with the Avro Arrow as the special military unit.

No one will ever build one.

YawningAngel

Dec 22, 2010
bdcjacko said:
You ever notice that Canada is never featured? It has to be the largest country never represented in the series.
Because there are a finite number of options and Canada isn't a particularly significant country (sorry Canadians).

Torrasque

Aug 6, 2010
aba1 said:
Torrasque said:
The Magical Hobo said:
As a Canadian I have to point out that we burned down the White House twice, and were the only country to achieve our D-Day objectives on time. That said as much I love my country, we don't sell games.
I don't like talking to Americans about what we did in WW2, cuz they always think I am making it up =/
That, and the whole "you actually didn't do as much as you think you did" doesn't go over well with them.
ccggenius12 said:
Also, am I allowed to find it hilarious that one of Canada's crowning military accomplishments is apparently pissing on a rag? I'm sorry, it just strikes me as unfortunate that that's something to be proud of.
Not when you take into consideration, that it was done to survive a mustard gas attack. In WW1, you had two options when the enemy used mustard gas:
1. Lol cuz you have a gas mask
2. Run for your life
Considering we didn't fuck around when it came to defending places, I'd say our makeshift gas masks are better than the alternative: having your lungs incinerated.
It would be like surviving a nuclear strike by spreading feces over you face; it sucks to do, but it is better than death
I agree with you but thought I should point out pee is not feces poo is. Pee is actually mostly just water
I know.
I meant peeing on a rag to survive mustard gas is like smearing shit on your head to survive nukes.
I just didn't feel like saying shit. :p