Why does Titanfall require 50GB of space?

Gergar12_v1legacy

Aug 17, 2012
You people are making me scared... I am sticking to my disks unless they can sell me a 100 terrabite drive for less than 150 dollars. But than they just make games that are 500 gb. Compress your god damn files, we don't have the technology to keep all that memory.

Flutterguy

Jun 26, 2011
Well I guess skimping out on the harddrive wasn't the best move after all. I'm running 500g. Not cool EA.. not cool.

thom_cat_

Nov 30, 2008
This is only a problem because Origin has no localisation options as Steam does - with steam you only download the language files that are appropriate for your settings; and you can request further languages to be downloaded. Origin apparently doesn't have this - at least for Titanfall.

As for people talking about caps not being a thing, change your provider, blah blah blah. COME TO AUSTRALIA. It's as if you people don't realise that there are a shitload of people still with slow, shoddy, expensive internet connections with ridiculous limits and no alternatives.

I've had a lot of trouble fitting Titanfall onto my computer, and I have 2 SSDs and 2 1TB hard drives. It's a monstrously large install.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
lacktheknack said:
Well, no, obviously. However, I came in here to complain that Titanfall, the first multiplayer-only game I was considering buying, is too damn big, which I think I'm in my rights to complain about.

Now, apparently Origin is a dirty liar and the game is actually much smaller than the mentioned 50 GB, but I'm not grasping how it can send me 50 GB uncompressed files can be crammed into a 14 GB download. IF you can explain that, I'll be happy.
I agree that the games size here is something worth complaining about. however your response to me that i quoted made it look that your complaining that you dont have as good internet as me, which granted may have been a misunderstanding on my part.

Origin has been a durty liar all the time. they do this for almost every game. even worse, they actually count your extracted file size in their download speed which sometimes end up showing you 2 or 3 times the download speed of the actual download, thus pretending its faster than other clients.

file compression is very much dependant on the content. for example text can be compressed up to 20 times, meanwhile video - very little. It is not unheard of heavily compressed game installs. Another example i had to deal with lately was WOrld of Tanks. the game offline isntaller takes 6.8 GB in a compressed archive. meanwhile installed it takes over 16 GB. same is true in, for example, windows install. Windows 7 install fits in 1 DVD - in 4.3 GB. however installed it takes 15 GB or so. plenty of games take far more installed than the disc holds.

As far as this particular case of audio compression, there are multitude of ways. For example the most popular Free Lossless audio codec (FLAC) reduces the file size by up to 50-60% without loosing any quality. When you play it, it decompress it in memory, which gives more work for the processor (but for audio thats negligible with modern processors), however i manages to sustain quality with half the size on disc. Its even worse with video. A full frame (uncompressed) video in comparison to lossless compressions or comrpessions where qiality is still high enough for most people to see no difference can be something like 5 times the size.

Now, my theory, and im guessing here, is that they are compressing the files extremely here for download, however decomperssing them (at least in the audio department) so audio can run with as little processing as needed. They do this to be able to run on low end hardware - consoles, and they probably simply didnt recode the whole system for PC and just left it like that.

Gergar12 said:
You people are making me scared... I am sticking to my disks unless they can sell me a 100 terrabite drive for less than 150 dollars. But than they just make games that are 500 gb. Compress your god damn files, we don't have the technology to keep all that memory.
but we do. a 3 TB hard drive (you can install 60 titanfalls in it, well ok probably only 59 due to manufacturers using wrong calculation) can be bought for 150 dollars.
If anything, its the optical discs that are running out of space. DVDs seems to be on the brink of not cutting it anymore, meanwhile blue rays are overpriced and misused.

Fluffles said:
As for people talking about caps not being a thing, change your provider, blah blah blah. COME TO AUSTRALIA. It's as if you people don't realise that there are a shitload of people still with slow, shoddy, expensive internet connections with ridiculous limits and no alternatives.
Come to, well, anywhere but australia and US.
your argument is same as we should starve ourselves because there are people in africa that are starving. no. its them that should catch up and its same for shitty internet providers. and the only way to make them catch up is stop throwing them money for shitty service.

thom_cat_

Nov 30, 2008
Strazdas said:
Fluffles said:
Come to, well, anywhere but australia and US.
your argument is same as we should starve ourselves because there are people in africa that are starving. no. its them that should catch up and its same for shitty internet providers. and the only way to make them catch up is stop throwing them money for shitty service.
Thanks for completely missing the point. Well done.

rofltehcat said:
@ the people saying stuff like "get better internet": This is BS. You simply can't expect everyone on the planet to have the same access to internet connection someone in major American cities has. Data caps and slower speeds are the norm in many countries.
Of course service providers should improve their data plans and infrastructure but this doesn't change anything about the fact that it shouldn't download unnecessary files in the first place.

I'm on a reasonably fast and uncapped connection myself but I wouldn't want to wait twice as long for my download just because EA thinks everyone needs to have all the language packs.
This was my point, said by someone else. Nobody is asking for what you're saying. Construct your strawman somewhere else.
Aaaaaaalso "and the only way to make them catch up is stop throwing them money for shitty service." is ridiculous. "The only way to make all the internet providers charge you differently for shoddy infrastructure is to change to dialup, then they'll want your service and will change" - NO. The way for change is by not voting for Tony fucking Abbott (politics is the way to change).

Crash486

Oct 18, 2008
lacktheknack said:
That's my entire month's cap.

If this is digital distribution of the future, I don't want it anymore...
Your entire cap is 50gb? I have comcast, and they're notorious for unjust bandwidth caps, and even I get 350gb. If my data cap was 50gb, I'd switch providers. The only thing that's going to change the way ISP's do business is to stop enabling their scumbag practices. Just rolling over lets them believe they can get away with it, and it screws over all the other consumers in the process. I feel bad enough paying for a 350GB cap on principal. It used to be a 250gb cap, but enough calling and complaining and threatening to leave got them to increase it up to 350. If they hadn't played ball, I would have opted to switch to DSL, which would have been a vastly slower connection for roughly the same price, but hey, at least no data caps.

LetalisK

May 5, 2010
Mr.Tea said:
I started it barely 90 minutes ago and it's already 39GB/78% done. For the record, and as I said in my other post, I only have a 15mbps connection, so either I'm magically stealing bandwidth or Origin is downloading compressed files and unpacking them on the fly.
"Only" a 15mbps connection, he says. I would kill one kitten or several hobos to get that kind of speed! I'm moving to Canada. :mad:

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
Mr.Tea said:
But the manufacturers aren't lying at all, as their 3TB drives really do have a capacity of 3 trillion Bytes. If anything, it's OSs that should display KiB, MiB, GiB and TiB.
I've seen discussions on that. And seems that a lot of people agree. But the trouble is that some places do have KB mean KB rather than KiB, however, others use KB to mean KiB. And the latter are more prevalent. So it's really confusing when you see that and you're mostly left wandering if they are supposed to have the 'i' there or not.

Yet, to this day and age we have this weird split going where the same term is used to mean two different things. Yet it hasn't been taht long since a proper term was defined for each only...15 years... Yeah, there is no excuse. At least Linux apps can report you space SI measurements if you explicitly ask them to, so-o-o, it's some sort of progress...

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Mr.Tea said:
Strazdas said:
a 3 TB hard drive (you can install 60 titanfalls in it, well ok probably only 59 due to manufacturers using wrong calculation) can be bought for 150 dollars.
I was curious, so I did the math and the answer is 55.

( 3,000,000,000,000 / 2 [sup]30[/sup] ) / 50 = 55.87

BTW, the manufacturers aren't wrong; A proper Terabyte really is 1,000,000,000,000 Bytes. Using SI decimal prefix conventions, 1 Byte times 1,000 is a Kilobyte, times 1,000 is a Megabyte and so on...

But operating systems don't work like that; they use so-called "binary Bytes" instead, where 1 Byte times 1,024 (or 2[sup]10[/sup]) is a Kilo-binary-Byte, or Kibibyte [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kibibyte], or KiB. What Windows really expects is not a TB, but a TiB, which would be 1,099,511,627,776 bytes. So, to Windows (and OSX/Linux), a 3TB drive is really a 2.72 TiB drive.

But the manufacturers aren't lying at all, as their 3TB drives really do have a capacity of 3 trillion Bytes. If anything, it's OSs that should display KiB, MiB, GiB and TiB.
Yes, your math is better than my "jsut throw it in my head" math. Thats hardly negating my point though.

And you are correct about manufacturers and OS, though id rather we all used a straight 1000 (like normal humans instead of awkward 1024) and call it by its normal name. but im asking too much i guess.