"Why don't you have a girlfriend?"

Combustion Kevin

Nov 17, 2011
"well shit, dude, I keep trying but I never seem to hold their interest, how was your goddamn morning?"

no seriously, this conversation actually took place.

Ljs1121

Mar 17, 2011
Most of the time, people skip asking why I don't have a girlfriend and just assume I'm gay.

I don't mind, though. They're just jealous of my faaaaaaabulous fashion sense.

C F

Jan 10, 2012
Berithil said:
↑ Three posts up ↑
Hey, I'm right there with you. Except I'm eighteen. Though I'll likely be in the same shoes a year from now, so that doesn't actually mean much.

Having a relationship right out of the gate isn't important. I've got another seventy years, and nothing but patience.
Sweet, autonomous patience.

AngloDoom

Aug 2, 2008
ImBigBob said:
I've noticed lately that people have met me and automatically assume I have a girlfriend. "You're handsome and smart and funny. Why don't you have one?"
Wow, what dicks.

/sarcasm

OT:

I've personally not had this sort of thing directed at me which, now I think about it, is making me paranoid. Are people just looking at me, assuming I'm already foreveralone and have come to accept it?
Oh gods!

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Because every girl I've wanted to ask out already had a boyfriend.

;__;

I'll get a girlfriend when I meet one I'd want to date who isn't already doing so. However, people generally don't ask if I have a girlfriend, so I don't suffer the "humiliation" (definitely not the right word) of not having one upon being asked.

Winthrop

Apr 7, 2010
Atrocious Joystick said:
Hagi said:
Atrocious Joystick said:
We want to eat, fuck and be safe from predators. Everything else comes from these needs.
I'm curious...

How exactly does making posts on an internet forum in any way at all contribute to eating, fucking or being safe from predators?

I reckon human psychology might just be a tad more complicated than you're making it out to be.
Okay fine, add Entertainment to that list. Eating, fucking, security and entertainment. Posting on the internet is entertainment.

I'm not saying human psychology is simple. Just because at the most basic version it could be explained away by relatively few basic desires doesn't mean it's simple. Everything that you can touch, including us, is made up of some combination or other of some of the 118 elements. Doesn't mean matter is a simple thing.
I'd bet you could put posting on the internet under society which goes under security so I'd say you were fine beforehand. Your post is a simplification, but I'd say that it sums up human psychology fairly well.

ProtoChimp

Feb 8, 2010
I don't want one. This one girl came on to me, and she was cute, but she was a little creepy. And before anyone says any kind of anime trope I mean the very bad kind of creepy. I like romance and intimacy but I hate drama and I don't enjoy going out all the time. A few times in a week maybe but not every week and certainly not every day, though I guess that differs from person to person. Plus I don't have the money to spend on myself, let alone another person.

Naeras

Mar 1, 2011
If you don't feel like being in a relationship, then you honestly shouldn't. Anyone telling you otherwise is blatantly wrong.

It's really that simple.

Palademon

Mar 20, 2010
I personally enjoy how every person who says any girl would be lucky to have me...aren't interested me.

No, this is not something girls who reject me out of pity say, it's what my friends say.
I'm not interested in them either, but it sort of implies the unfortunate reality that who people are attracted to isn't formed logically, making such morale pick ups just seem tragic.

The main problem is I'm not interested in many people, and nobody is interested in me.

Jodokh

Oct 2, 2012
The town Im in is way to small. The line "In a small town you don't miss your chance, you just miss yout turn". Applies very very much, my social circle has shared girls with each other untentionaly... Ugh and my best friend just tagged a girl, that I was wanting make up with... Now remember why I leave this town every couple of months

Marcus Kehoe

Mar 18, 2011
Up until not a few moths ago I really didn't want a relationship, now that i'm 19 and i feel comfortable I feel I'm ready. Know it's just a matter of finding someone I want to date.

At this point I am semi-desperate for a relationship, but still, I appreciate my joy of being single.

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
I was at the train station, and I get two girls. Being so smooth is a curse *le sigh*.

Reginald the Butler

Mar 29, 2012
ohnoitsabear said:
Just tell them that you're gay. Not only will they stop bugging you about getting a girlfriend, but they'll also feel really terrible about asking in the first place. It's a perfect plan that has no possible unintended consequences!
I had a roommate do that to a door-to-door salesman. The guy was getting pushier and mentioned that if he were a pretty girl, my roommate would have bought something from him. The guy's expression and moment of silence after my roommate replied, "Dude,I'm gay" was priceless.

Fijiman

I am THE PANTS!
Legacy
Dec 1, 2011
I don't have a girlfriend because I just don't really want one. Simple as that.

The fact that I'm not the most outgoing person in the world either so that doesn't help me much either.

Giftfromme

Nov 3, 2011
ImBigBob said:
I've noticed lately that people have met me and automatically assume I have a girlfriend. "You're handsome and smart and funny. Why don't you have one?" It's like they're saying "I know you're not a loser, and only single guys are losers". Yeah, with a college degree and a well-paying job I've accomplished a lot with my life before I've even hit 25. So people are shocked when I say I don't have one.

It's not because I particularly LIKE being single. I've just never met a girl who made me want to be with her. I find that the only girls who ever flirt with me are either slutty/ditzy/drunk, which I really don't find attractive. Yet some friends act like I'm an idiot for not going for the easy lay. On the other hand, every girl I find myself attracted to turns out to already have a boyfriend (at least, that's what they tell me when I ask them out).

Why is society so obsessed with relationships and sex? I've seen people suggest sex as an intrinsic need that humans have, but I've done just fine without it. I highly doubt going to a bar and picking up some random girl is going to make me feel better about my life.

Captcha: Stand And Deliver
This is why you don't have a girlfriend

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X52Ugkxi-Ec

This is an epic video, watch the whole thing, eh can't get the tags to work

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
The main reasons I don't have a girlfriend is because I am bad at trusting people and letting someone that close to me who could potentially harm me emotionally is too much of a security risk. Plus, I am working on on writing and trying to become an author so I feel a relationship would most likely be a distraction. The other reason is because I really don't want to be a parent so staying out of a relationship ensures I never become a parent.

dvd_72

Jun 7, 2010
I usually get asked this at family gatherings and it bugs me. It makes me feel like the fact that I'm still single, an have always been single, means that I'm wrong or broken in some way. The truth is I'm not really in the best place in life to have one. My home is in Belgium but I'm studying in England, so I spend half my year in each country and that is not conducive to a good relationship (long distance sucks I hear). Until my homing situation stabilizes I think remaining single would be best for me, although that doesn't explain why I haven't gotten laid in years. That is because I'm not a fan of one-night stands.

Also until shortly before I started uni I wasn't all that confident in myself, and since then the women who have caught my eye usually have boyfriends. It probably doesn't help that I'm terrible at picking up on signs that someone is attracted to me. I can be dense like that. Also I'm bad at initiating conversations with strangers.