Why I am not going to buy Mass Effect 3

Spy_Guy

Mar 16, 2010
Three reasons:
1) Origin
2) Shady DLC
3) I don't give two damns about Mass Effect

Number one is self-explanatory. Spyware, etc. Don't want to vote for that future.

Number two is also self-explanatory. I don't want to support that sort of thing either. For instance, I wanted Saint's Row III... however, when I saw that three packs of DLC was released before the game on Steam, I decided that "nope, not supporting that sort of thing."
...strange there was no shitstorm about that, come to think of it.

Number three... well... everything I've seen / played of it seems so bland and boring.

[hr]

I do think that people going "Bioware is forcing us to buy..." should take a long hard thought about their strength of will and integrity.
Nobody's forcing you to buy anything.

In the end, you're going to buy Mass Effect 3 and maybe even the DLC, all the while complaining about feeling "scammed" or "ripped off".
Congratulations, you've just made sure you'll get "scammed" or "ripped off" in the future, because you allowed them to get away with it.

I have no problems with the people who buy Mass Effect 3 and accept the fact that there will be day-one DLC, but who either buy it because it's worth it or don't because it's not worth it. I do have a problem with the people who get on the nearest soapbox and complain about being "forced" to buy anything, though.

I'm keeping my flame shield raised, because there will be someone trying to justify themselves by going "Oh, sure, like it'll make a difference. You'll just miss out on a great game."

Omnific One

Apr 3, 2010
Oh, I still had a preorder after the From Ashes DLC fiasco; in fact, I was planning on buying the DLC.

I read the leaked endings.

I cancelled my preorder.

Sigma Castell

Elite Member
Sep 10, 2011
Well for some reason ,ive had my pre-order cancelled by Game. And they are not going to be selling it or any other EA games for some time. so i guess the decision was made for me.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
8-Bit_Jack said:
GonzoGamer said:
8-Bit_Jack said:
Coreless said:
8-Bit_Jack said:
Coreless said:
So did you just get into gaming or something? the industry is and always was, about making money...lets me say it again...the industry is and always was, about making money. If this is a problem for you then I think its time to give up gaming because people have been charging for excessive DLC for ages now and I don't see it changing anytime soon.

Go to your collection, look at your games and take out the ones published by EA, Activision and THQ (publishers who really push DLC) and throw them into the garbage or delete their games from your hard drive. If you don't do this, then you are still supporting excessive DLC and its "money grubbing nonsense" and quite frankly I can't take a word your saying seriously. If your going to take a stand because of one game, then you need to take a stand against everyone that does this which is pretty much...most of the industry.
And if enough people were to actually take a stand on one game, particularly one as heavily anticipated as Mass Effect, then that would send a VERY clear message that we are sick of this shit.
Now, you are correct in thinking nothing will come of this, because people like you lack the conviction to do anything about these shameful practices, or worse, don't think anything is wrong with them.

You should feel ashamed
Lmao....lol.....sorry if I don't suddenly drop to the floor to kiss your boots in forgiveness over some stupid DLC. If you really want to take a stand against something that is actually important and make a difference....go join the red cross.
You are forgiven for that, although really, why leave a job unfinished? my boots could REALLY use the cleaning.
The red cross has nothing to do with the conversation. You are just so desperate to prove yourself right that you are trying to throw in a moral argument for your apathy. We arent talking about medical issues, we are talking about economic ones. Sure, some kids in africa are riddled with AIDs, but that has no bearing on the fact that we are being ripped off by the videogame industry as a whole. Guess what, go out, save little African Steve's life, make AIDS go away, bring the african continent out of its deplorable poverty-stricken conditions, and make them just comfortable as us. THEY'RE GONNA BE RIPPED OFF TOO. This topic is exclusively concerned with OUR economic sphere, not how much tuberculosis medicine they have in third-world nations.
Yea. That seems to be the latest cop-out since the who over/mis-use of the term "entitlement" got old: there are bigger things to worry about. Yes in the world and yes those things are more concerning but the biggest thing concerning me about the game industry is how the companies are trying more and more aggressive ways to squeeze more cash out of the consumers. But this has already caused many of the consumers to buy less games and not replace broken consoles. This should concern every gamer.
Coreless said:
So did you just get into gaming or something? the industry is and always was, about making money...lets me say it again...the industry is and always was, about making money. If this is a problem for you then I think its time to give up gaming because people have been charging for excessive DLC for ages now and I don't see it changing anytime soon.

Go to your collection, look at your games and take out the ones published by EA, Activision and THQ (publishers who really push DLC) and throw them into the garbage or delete their games from your hard drive. If you don't do this, then you are still supporting excessive DLC and its "money grubbing nonsense" and quite frankly I can't take a word your saying seriously. If your going to take a stand because of one game, then you need to take a stand against everyone that does this which is pretty much...most of the industry.
This seems to be the stance that the game industry is taking: daring us to not buy into their crap.
Well, here's one legitimate consumer who isn't buying into their crap anymore. And there are more and more who are getting fed up. So they better know when to stop because eventually they're going to invest big into something and find that there aren't enough gamers interested anymore.
The gaming industry has obviously taken their actual consumers for granted and that's really going to bight them in the ass. And it may be sooner than you think. Only a few of the ps2 owners I know bought into the current gen of consoles and I know even fewer who plan on getting into the next.
I could HUG you.

Weirdly enough, EA has an online pass game out that support 100%
If you don't have an online pass, you don't lose any CONTENT, you just dont get any bonuses from online play. And since you can get all the points you need buy playing the single-player (or purchasing them directly for money, if you are a sad person), this is a great system

Then again, knowing EA's track record, the next thing it'll try is online passes to save your data at all
Thanks.
That is interesting and it doesn't seem very intrusive at all. Is that what they did with Syndicate? I was thinking about getting that (after I learned that there was no online pass) but it was the lack of splitscreen that dropped it from my top priorities. If they patch it in, I'll buy it...new of course; I want to encourage the dropping of online pass.
They also tried something interesting with the Sims3 on the console where if you didn't have the code you couldn't share or download user designed items and things like that. As it's not a part of the gameplay, that tactic isn't quite so insulting. It's kind of like a bonus.

WiMoTj

Feb 13, 2010
It's kinda funny how EA's (and by extension Bioware's)business model leads to less profit instead of more. First the Origin spyware-bullcrap and now this DLC thingy. I want both Battlefield 3 and Mass Effect 3 but because I play on a PC it ain't gonna happen. I was tepted to buy ME2 and ME3 on the 360, but the controls are horrible and too finnicky with a controller.

boag

Sep 13, 2010
BaronIveagh said:
SajuukKhar said:
Ill just leave this here
You do that, because by Bioware's own admission, it's wrong.

The Current Day one DLC was excised during the production step. It was, sadly, originally part of the core game that was in fact, removed as cut content. It was later re-added as DLC.

Also: I love Bioware's explanation, which basically boils down to 'He was too awesome as written and taking focus off Sheppard, so we canned him."
The thing is, he is that damn awesome, if you read the dialog youll soon find yourself grinning ear to ear, he is the God Damn Prothean Batman.

All of it however is complete Fanwank, so I can start to understand why they would cut him out and sell him as Fan Wank.

There are lots of reasons not to buy the game, the Prothean DLC is not one of them.

BaronIveagh said:
Sangnz said:
Dragon Age: Origins = Shale
Mass Effect 2 = Zaheed

Nothing new for day one DLC if it follows the same pattern it will be some interesting lore and interactions with a unique quest and have no major impact on the main story.
Seriously people get so bent out of shape so fast.
Mass Effect 2 = Zaheed
Dragon Age 2 = The Exiled Prince.

You left out one... oh, wait, that did change large sections of your interaction with the Chantry. Didn't change the end of the game, which was on rails anyway, but did change how you interacted with a major faction.
So... which has more impact on dev here, the more recent entry or the older ones?
so you are railing against it because, the interactions that will not affect end game are included in something that is extra?

jibjab963

Sep 16, 2008
I really don't agree with what he said. It seems like that he doesn't know what goes into a game development cycle. This doesn't mean I exactly agree with EA's decision either.

jibjab963

Sep 16, 2008
boag said:
BaronIveagh said:
SajuukKhar said:
Ill just leave this here

The Current Day one DLC was excised during the production step. It was, sadly, originally part of the core game that was in fact, removed as cut content. It was later re-added as DLC.

Also: I love Bioware's explanation, which basically boils down to 'He was too awesome as written and taking focus off Sheppard, so we canned him."
The thing is, he is that damn awesome, if you read the dialog youll soon find yourself grinning ear to ear, he is the God Damn Prothean Batman.

All of it however is complete Fanwank, so I can start to understand why they would cut him out and sell him as Fan Wank.

There are lots of reasons not to buy the game, the Prothean DLC is not one of them.

BaronIveagh said:
Sangnz said:
Mass Effect 2 = Zaheed

Nothing new for day one DLC if it follows the same pattern it will be some interesting lore and interactions with a unique quest and have no major impact on the main story.
Mass Effect 2 = Zaheed

You left out one... oh, wait, that did change large sections of your interaction with the Chantry. Didn't change the end of the game, which was on rails anyway, but did change how you interacted with a major faction.
So... which has more impact on dev here, the more recent entry or the older ones?
so you are railing against it because, the interactions that will not affect end game are included in something that is extra?
I thought Garrus in Mass Effect 2 was like their version of Batman.

Isn't Bioware's whole defense for this DLC that it doesn't change the outcome of the game at all?

SajuukKhar

Sep 26, 2010
The DLC isnt needed at all because there is a Prothean VI in the game you tells you EVERYTHING the "Prothean" character in the old leaked script does.

boag

Sep 13, 2010
jibjab963 said:
boag said:
BaronIveagh said:
SajuukKhar said:
Ill just leave this here

BaronIveagh said:
Sangnz said:
Mass Effect 2 = Zaheed

Mass Effect 2 = Zaheed

Isn't Bioware's whole defense for this DLC that it doesn't change the outcome of the game at all?
What did I just say?

"you are railing against it because, the interactions that will NOT AFFECT END GAME are included in something that is extra?"

Do i need to simplify to or something?

jibjab963

Sep 16, 2008
boag said:
jibjab963 said:
boag said:
BaronIveagh said:
SajuukKhar said:
Ill just leave this here

BaronIveagh said:
Sangnz said:
Mass Effect 2 = Zaheed

Mass Effect 2 = Zaheed

What did I just say?

"you are railing against it because, the interactions that will NOT AFFECT END GAME are included in something that is extra?"

I honestly didn't understand it the way that it was put so I asked a question. Sorry if it offended you so much that you have to be a jerk about it.

boag

Sep 13, 2010
jibjab963 said:
boag said:
jibjab963 said:
boag said:
BaronIveagh said:
SajuukKhar said:
Ill just leave this here

BaronIveagh said:
Sangnz said:
Mass Effect 2 = Zaheed

Mass Effect 2 = Zaheed

What did I just say?

I honestly didn't understand it the way that it was put so I asked a question. Sorry if it offended you so much that you have to be a jerk about it.
If thats the impression you are getting I apologize, I am asking because im not sure If I am being clear enough, Is there a way I can make my statement clearer for you?

jibjab963

Sep 16, 2008
boag said:
jibjab963 said:
boag said:
jibjab963 said:
boag said:
BaronIveagh said:
SajuukKhar said:
Ill just leave this here

BaronIveagh said:
Sangnz said:
Mass Effect 2 = Zaheed

Mass Effect 2 = Zaheed

What did I just say?

If thats the impression you are getting I apologize, I am asking because im not sure If I am being clear enough, Is there a way I can make my statement clearer for you?
No. I understand what you mean now that I read it separately, away from the other post. Sorry for the confusion im just extremely tired due to an illness and I needed a way to pass time so I came on to here.

BaronIveagh

Apr 26, 2011
Well, the hate has reached such epic proportions on Biowares forums that they've issued a notice that they're going to start autobanning people for attacking each other, Bioware, or it's employees.

And posting will now be limited to 'members in good standing', meaning they own an Origin account more than 30 days old. Wow, now the ability to speak about a Bioware game on Bioware's forums is being tied to Origin.

Kajin

This Title Will Be Gone Soon
Apr 13, 2008
So, the game has been out for a few days now. For anyone who hasn't gotten the DLC, has the notable absence of a Prothean as a squad member managed to ruin the game yet, or have you barely even noticed?