Why I hate valve games. (A rant of sorts)

jonathan19

Apr 14, 2009
Now before I even say anything regarding valve's products let me say that they are in no way horrible games but games that I personally do not like and that I think give the PC community a bad rep. That being said...

A massive problem I have with PC gaming today is that we get categorized into the steam community and the games that valve spew out with the same engine they've been using since 2004.

Half Life 2
Counter Strike: Source
Left 4 Dead
Portal
Etc

The problem I have with this is for one these games aren't really tickling my gaming spot enough for me to reccomend buying them. If they all use the same engine and have nothing we havent seen before whats the point of forking out the money for them? Also that the PC gaming community is so much more then this we actually had/have some amazing games for the platform not to mention when some games get onto the PC and run dedicated servers for online play. The ultimate joy of PC gaming to begin with. Now how does this relate to valve? For one we get these (lets call them technologically ill) people who say stuff like "I forked out over $2000 for my computer and I can run Half Life on max settings"...Back when that game was released I got some dirt cheap parts and made a $400 computer to run it at maximum settings and I still have it collecting dust in my basement. but anyways my point is basically we shouldn't stand by valve and these sub par games they keep churning out if we look at crysis or even MMO's theres something much more to validate the strength of our community instead of these games that look like they still got stuck in the last generation.

I hope theres at least the small amount of you who understand where I am coming from with this. if not this thread can get lost in cyberspace I could really care less on a monday evening. Thank you.

bigd1236

Nov 30, 2009
Are you implying graphics determine the quality of a game? Valve makes fantastic, some times near-perfect, games. Yes the graphics are outdated, but that doesn't detract from things like character, story, gameplay, artistic design, multiplayer balance, and other factors that makes a game great. Your whole argument is based around the fact that they don't look good when in mine and many others opinions, a game like TF2 has wonderful art style and the graphics are one of it's charms.

Stoic raptor

Jul 19, 2009
Oh jeez, why would you make this thread.

Dropping a nuke would be less destructive than this thread

HT_Black

May 1, 2009
...So...you're pissed off because they don't have CryEngine graphics? What are you trying to say here?

Cool story bro.

Zirat

May 16, 2009
Dissing Valve games based on their appearance?

No thank you, im heading out of here before the flame squad moves in and torches you.

Kanodin0

Mar 2, 2010
Please explain your opinion further, as currently you seem to be saying that the defining quality of good games is graphics. If that really is your statement then, well, let's all just hope for the sake of no flamewars it isn't.

Freshman

Jan 8, 2010
OMG. I'm going to get some popcorn and watch the flaming begin.
OT:not a PC gamer myself, don't feel qualified to comment.

May 23, 2010
So tf2 is nothing we haven't seen before? Portal?
I'd say the same about l4d2 and hl2:episode x but I've already soiled myself laughing today and I don't think it'd be a good idea to try it again.

I guess that my point is that EVERY company remakes old shit. Some do it well (the S.T.A.L.K.E.R guys), and some do it poorly (looking at you, capcom and nintendo). Valve makes some very original stuff on top of stuff you've already seen (but only because valve fans ask for it). It is for that that I congratulate them.

I liken Valve as the Pixar of the gaming industry; sure it's not ALL fresh, but it's still damn good.

Hyperactiveman

Oct 26, 2008
If anything Valve has always been giving the gaming community some of the best deals for their games...

Having said that Left 4 Dead 2 took a while to drop in price in Ausland for it's backlash regarding the "violent content" with the Australian Board of Classification.

The Madman

Dec 7, 2007
So to summarize: You're a graphics whore and as such hate Valve because their games aren't pretty enough for you?

Jeez, I'd hate to think what you've got to say about Blizzard in that case or any other daveloper that has the sheer audacity to release a game with the intent of appealing towards a larger market.

I can think of plenty of faults Valve has, but what you said... well that's just stupid.

jonathan19

Apr 14, 2009
Like I said I could care less if anyone doesnt share this opinion. Also anyone with half a brain can determine that I obviously don't mean that all games need good graphics to be good games. looks like this is gonna get flamed and lost in cyber space. Farewell.

Kanodin0

Mar 2, 2010
jonathan19 said:
Like I said I could care less if anyone doesnt share this opinion. Also anyone with half a brain can determine that I obviously don't mean that all games need good graphics to be good games. looks like this is gonna get flamed and lost in cyber space. Farewell.
You are blaming everyone else for taking this as about graphics? Your entire argument against them was on graphics and no mention of gameplay, you can expand your point and reasonable people will at least listen and agree or disagree but you can't only mention graphics and keep your other criteria private if you want to be taken seriously.

scnj

Nov 10, 2008
I sort of agree, but not for the reasons you gave. I find Valve games to be solid, but overrated.

Titanguy654

Jul 14, 2009
jonathan19 said:
Translation:

Aww people don't agree with me and I don't know how to defend my terribly shaped arguement. [/buttthurt]

jonathan19

Apr 14, 2009
Darzen said:
i smell a shit storm...also good job most of us hate you now
Oh deary me a bunch of people on the internet hate me.

scnj said:
I sort of agree, but not for the reasons you gave. I find Valve games to be solid, but overrated.
A response I was hoping for.

shotgunbob

Mar 24, 2009
and L4D2 doesn't look good?

Anyways Valve uses Source because its still one of the best engines out there, Sure you can get better performance from other engines but Source is easy to program for and it works.

Graphics dont mean that much to me, Portal was unique enough and funny enough where I could care less what it looked like. Games like MW2 are pretty but multiplayer and single player ruined it for me. For me its just how good the game is and graphics arent a huge part of that.

mrhappyface

Jul 25, 2009
Valve is like Pixar. It releases entertainment that have appeal through a broad range of ages, have endless replay value, have creative and unique premises, and that other tries to imitate, with varying degress of success.

Valate_v1legacy

Sep 16, 2009
I certainly hope you aren't expecting this to end well. Spoiler: It won't.

Valve games are some of the best there are, not because of amazing graphics that make you feel like you're really there, but with excellent storytelling techniques and gripping/chilling gameplay elements that sometimes take a step in a new direction before everyone else follows line.