Why I play Dungeons and Dragons Online

bindox

Mar 19, 2009
Nice post man. I have played since day 1 of beta. Other games have come and gone (been installed and then uninstalled), but DDO never leaves me. (And neither does my wife of 18 years. You can have both!!)

Until DDO, I played DAoC regularly. I had 2 accounts, as I do now with DDO. :)

Jotchua7

Mar 26, 2009
As much as I'm still dealing with my LotRO addiction(going for more than 2 years now), I have to say I've been impressed with the DDO people's fervour...I'm gonna' find some free time and download the trial and give 'er a shot. If I like it, the prospect of being a Drow Elf is very intriguing!

ntomlin63

Mar 19, 2009
Just remember you can't start out as a drow. You have to reach 400 favor (not that hard to do) to unlock Drow.

GothmogII

Possessor Of Hats
Apr 6, 2008
dirte said:
DDO is DnD game played online. if you like DnD you'll like DDO. i cant say it any more simple. its loosely based on 3.5 rules.char build its key,as well as working with your party.it covers all play types, from healer to pvp(solo if char is built to). Gear makes a diff depending on what you try to be.really, just find a spot you would like to fill and do best, its all we ask of are partys.you can always make a 2nd toon.gl and hope to see ya on DDO : }
Group for Buffs!
Wrong! Well...okay fine, I guess that's true for some people. However, I love most DnD stuff, from tabletop to almost all the PC titles, from Baldur's Gate to NWN2, hell, I don't even hate The Temple of Elemental Evil. But DDO, no. I will admit, I didn't play past much of the opening content, and did only a few groups and dungeons. However, I dropped the whole thing once I began to realise how compartmentalised everything was. I mean, games like WoW and CoH/CoV and even UO can justify the monthly fee, they've got a big sprawling persistent world. What has DDO got? It's like they took the 'Massively' part out of MMO and left a tepid online multiplayer game instead. Skk...

CanadianWolverine

Feb 1, 2008
I love to play NeverWinter Nights 2. What is the possibility of Player Strongholds in the future? It was one of the things when Obsidian was taking suggestions years back now that I was very determined to see happen. And now that I am finally playing it, I love every moment of act 3 and every bit of coin I am getting from loot is going into building my happy little Crossroads and I completely ignored the main story to find every NPC recruit that I could.

Oddly enough, I have been tracking the progress of a MMO called Love because of the player interactivity with its stylish enviroment built into the game.

It is one of those things that always struck me as very unique about D&D P&P in any version was that a DM would constantly be pulling their hair out because the players inevitably get totally deep into having their characters run a stronghold that they ignore the elaborate dungeons he set up before. Oh, does DDO have DMs?

Can you tell I played the heck out of Dungeon Keeper 2? :D

Other than that, please link me to some video of DDO monks doing some genuinely epic stuff, like doing parkour to accomplish a goal of a quest (or instance I think you called them) or something else that smacks of The Matrix or Jet Li/Jackie Chan stunts.

I guess, I am asking, does DDO do online play better than NWN2 (or NWN1)? Does it manage to still include the cool skills of swim, climb, jump, balance, and other skills that are the only reasons I care how stupid (INT score) my monk is? Even in regular D&D P&P it seems like some skills get big time ignored for the combat and don't seem to have good synergy with some stuff that could really make for some wow moments if they could be better worked out - only one I recall being synergistic was tumble. Oh and does the game allow for knock out/nonlethal damage? How about easier to grasp grappling rules?

doctorwhofan

Mar 20, 2009
Jotchua7 said:
As much as I'm still dealing with my LotRO addiction(going for more than 2 years now), I have to say I've been impressed with the DDO people's fervour...I'm gonna' find some free time and download the trial and give 'er a shot. If I like it, the prospect of being a Drow Elf is very intriguing!

ooohhh! Converts from LotRO!! Thelanis Server... Ask for Trissa.

dirte

Mar 19, 2009
for new DDo players who want drow, you'll have to lv a 28build a little, but too quickening the pace once to harbor find a group running favor ,lv and exp wont matter, just the favor to get a drow open.the ppl would be most likely be able to help in other ways also if need be.that's what i do on a server when i start new ,also there is a ppl doing podcasts on his own (props)for new players is got good info.DDO : },GL and "Group for Buffs!"

Whippo

Mar 27, 2009
If anyone tries out DDO and ends up on Ghallanda server, send me a pm here, will happily show you around. I am the guild leader of one of the largest and longstanding guilds on the server.

doctorwhofan

Mar 20, 2009
CanadianWolverine said:
I love to play NeverWinter Nights 2. What is the possibility of Player Strongholds in the future? It was one of the things when Obsidian was taking suggestions years back now that I was very determined to see happen. And now that I am finally playing it, I love every moment of act 3 and every bit of coin I am getting from loot is going into building my happy little Crossroads and I completely ignored the main story to find every NPC recruit that I could.

Oddly enough, I have been tracking the progress of a MMO called Love because of the player interactivity with its stylish enviroment built into the game.

It is one of those things that always struck me as very unique about D&D P&P in any version was that a DM would constantly be pulling their hair out because the players inevitably get totally deep into having their characters run a stronghold that they ignore the elaborate dungeons he set up before. Oh, does DDO have DMs?

Can you tell I played the heck out of Dungeon Keeper 2? :D

Other than that, please link me to some video of DDO monks doing some genuinely epic stuff, like doing parkour to accomplish a goal of a quest (or instance I think you called them) or something else that smacks of The Matrix or Jet Li/Jackie Chan stunts.

I guess, I am asking, does DDO do online play better than NWN2 (or NWN1)? Does it manage to still include the cool skills of swim, climb, jump, balance, and other skills that are the only reasons I care how stupid (INT score) my monk is? Even in regular D&D P&P it seems like some skills get big time ignored for the combat and don't seem to have good synergy with some stuff that could really make for some wow moments if they could be better worked out - only one I recall being synergistic was tumble. Oh and does the game allow for knock out/nonlethal damage? How about easier to grasp grappling rules?
Here's Monks http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2mQRobbnBE&feature=related

dirte

Mar 19, 2009
GothmogII said:
dirte said:
DDO is DnD game played online. if you like DnD you'll like DDO. i cant say it any more simple. its loosely based on 3.5 rules.char build its key,as well as working with your party.it covers all play types, from healer to pvp(solo if char is built to). Gear makes a diff depending on what you try to be.really, just find a spot you would like to fill and do best, its all we ask of are partys.you can always make a 2nd toon.gl and hope to see ya on DDO : }
Group for Buffs!
Wrong! Well...okay fine, I guess that's true for some people. However, I love most DnD stuff, from tabletop to almost all the PC titles, from Baldur's Gate to NWN2, hell, I don't even hate The Temple of Elemental Evil. But DDO, no. I will admit, I didn't play past much of the opening content, and did only a few groups and dungeons. However, I dropped the whole thing once I began to realise how compartmentalised everything was. I mean, games like WoW and CoH/CoV and even UO can justify the monthly fee, they've got a big sprawling persistent world. What has DDO got? It's like they took the 'Massively' part out of MMO and left a tepid online multiplayer game instead. Skk...
we have open areas out side of town and on way to some quests, you could go to,that have a slayer count, discoveries, encounters (chests) in each.should talk to other ppl if you have a hard time getting around.yes tho there are dungeons and if you kill them most monsters dont respawn.you dont have to do slayers for anything except exp. luckily ,for me(not big on kill ### type adventuring) ,.but , to each their own! GL and good hunting!

Shyv

Mar 19, 2009
doctorwhofan said:
FYI I still want "Goddess of Tempest's Spine" as a forum title on the DDO forums.
It'll happen about the same time I get "Supreme Ruler of the Shroud" as my forum title. :)

Flying-Emu

Oct 30, 2008
ntomlin63 said:
Flying-Emu said:
Just started this morning, rolled a halfling rogue named Reonin Longbarrel on Thybas. Great game. The dungeons are probably the most entertaining thing I've done in an online game in years.
Welcome to DDO, I hope its the start of a long, happy and satisfying relationship
Is it just me, or are the servers... underpopulated?

ntomlin63

Mar 19, 2009
I think it depends on what time of day you are on for the most part. Plus with the data center move people might not be back on as much as normal. I know sometimes it seems there aren't many on and others there are all sorts of people on.

Shamutanti

Apr 2, 2009
I got DDO online a few months back and only stayed around for the first month and although I find it rather interesting to play, lack of people to play it with who were either new, or could spend enough time with me to clear things up, was lacking. I remember being effectively hustled along a few dungeons as a Cleric and simply spamming heals where I could unable to understood what in the world was going on.

If there were some players interested in starting up on DDO or even willing to take a nub on board and assist, I wouldn't say no to resubbing up. I could use a change in mmo scenary.

Lorichie

Mar 20, 2008
Flying-Emu said:
ntomlin63 said:
Flying-Emu said:
Just started this morning, rolled a halfling rogue named Reonin Longbarrel on Thybas. Great game. The dungeons are probably the most entertaining thing I've done in an online game in years.
Welcome to DDO, I hope its the start of a long, happy and satisfying relationship
Is it just me, or are the servers... underpopulated?
there is a data center issue going on right now, there are folks in the game, but no one else can get in atm, being worked on.

R

Lorichie

Mar 20, 2008
Shamutanti said:
I got DDO online a few months back and only stayed around for the first month and although I find it rather interesting to play, lack of people to play it with who were either new, or could spend enough time with me to clear things up, was lacking. I remember being effectively hustled along a few dungeons as a Cleric and simply spamming heals where I could unable to understood what in the world was going on.

If there were some players interested in starting up on DDO or even willing to take a nub on board and assist, I wouldn't say no to resubbing up. I could use a change in mmo scenary.
now is most definately the time to get in again. xp bonus weekend this weekend, mod nine coming up, and in this post, and the other before it got locked again, you can go back and read for yourself, lots of folks offering to help. also, get on ddo forums and post in your server forum when you choose one that you are new and looking to get going, the response you will get will make you feel better about resubbing.

R

Shamutanti

Apr 2, 2009
Cheers, I might just do that actually. There was something rather, absorbing I suppose, about the game, when I originally played it. And well, reading through a few of the posts previously I'm more inclined to drop back into it and give it a crack. Cheers :)

lerincho

Mar 25, 2009
i will restate this again. any new players that happen to select argonnessan, look for Lerincho, Vrykyl, or Gil. that is me. say hi, but remember to state you're from escapist. otherwise i tend to diregard a lot of tells. stupid guildies can't use guild chat sometimes :p