Why I think GTA V will be a PS3 exclusive.

grrr

Jan 9, 2010
Monsterfurby said:
So, OP, are you saying you *think* it will be the case, or rather that you *hope* it will be the case?
Just asking, because we are skimming the town border of Trollville a bit here...
It's just me speculating based on a few things that I noticed today. I don't 'hope' that Xbox gamers will be deprived of a most likely excellent game.

grrr

Jan 9, 2010
As a response to all of the financial type comments and 'where are the benefits?' style questions I just want to say this again. A huge part of my theory here is that Rockstar may have to at least temporarily give them the game in exchange for Agent because how is Rockstar North going to work on that game and GTA V? It's mostly based around the complications there. Rockstar owes Sony an exclusive because of a deal.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
GTA5 will be as exclusive to PS3 as Modern Warfare 3 and Skyrim were.

Which is to say, it won't be.

Don't taze me bro

Feb 26, 2009
I have both a 360 and PS3. You can be guaranteed I'll be buying the game on PC if there's a PC version, even if the PC version is delayed. Console games look crap compared what gaming PCs can pull off these days.

Conza

Nov 7, 2010
grrr said:
I know that title just screams fanboy but please hear me out on this. So far a lot of rumors have pointed to a reveal through PSM, a magazine dedicated to all things Playstation, now I know that alone doesn't mean that it's an exclusive but there's more. A few years back Rockstar revealed Agent, all we know about it is that it's a PS3 exclusive developed by Rockstar North the developers of the GTA series, but that is literally all we know and North is now developing GTA V. What I think this may point to is that perhaps Rockstar decided to give up on the Agent project at least temporarily and give Sony GTA V as a bit of a holdover or perhaps to get them out of the deal altogether. Another lead is that on the VGA's site they tout a reveal for a "PS3 exclusive you won't believe" what's more unbelievable than this? And last but certainly not least the game looks a bit too good to be on 360 what I mean by that is that I don't know if technically the 360 could handle it, I know that there isn't a huge technology gap between the two but you can deny that the PS3 edges it out in graphical capability and processing power. When exclusively developed games for the PS3 can be noticeably more advanced. Now this is obviously all speculation but I do feel that there is a strong chance of this.
Don't think you're right there.

They would be cutting their market not only in two to exclude the 360ers, but what about the PC folks? They've bought GTA I-IV and all the others too! There's no way it won't be on 360 or PC, that'd be a financial shot in the knee and the arm.

The only possible thing that could happen (and I also see no advantage to this either, except pissing off possible 360/PC users), is that its released on PS3 first, but I see no gain to them at all. It could easily be developed for PC or PS3, then ported down and optimized for 360 later.

Bvenged

Sep 4, 2009
What a FANTASTIC IDEA! Let just cut the fanbase into a third and only release on one platform - the platform with the smallest community! HAHA! We're definitely going to make more money this way!

Your sources mean nothing if common sense prevails. I could quote the Daily Mail as a source of bullshit, and the bullshit would still be just that - bullshit.

Bvenged

Sep 4, 2009
OH, and the new "slim" 360 has improved unadvertised hardware - that includes an underclocked processor where the older models are overclocked to the max, and a slightly better graphics a card & slightly faster HDD & DVD drives. The 360 is now almost parallel with the PS3 in terms of computing power. But due to the older models still in existence (though Microsoft plans to phase them out a year or so before the new Xbox) there still have to be limitations with games released as to not break the older models. *COUGH* MY PREMIUM OVERHEATS ONLY WHEN I PLAY BF3 & NOT ANY OTHER GAME FORCING ME TO BUY A NEW SLIM MODEL *COUGH*

Subtle capitalist bastards, Microsoft are. Making shit to break.

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
It's not going to be a PS3 exclusive - it's Rockstar's flagship franchise and therefore it'll be getting a multiplatform release on the 360 AND the PS3 at the very least, with a potential PC version as well.

Jimbo1212

Aug 13, 2009
Pearwood said:
The 360 specs and PS3 specs are so similar any game that runs on one can run on the other. Look at stuff like Halo Reach, beautiful game. I've always had the impression the 360 has better graphics card and stuff and the PS3 has a better processor but the differences are so small no one really cares.

I don't see them cutting their fanbase in half like that, it doesn't really make sense. Unless Sony has bought exclusive rights which I guess is a possibility but we'll have to wait and see about that.
Wrong - the PS3 is a fair bit more powerful, but sadly both flop compared to a basic gaming rig of £500.
In one sense, a PS3 exclusive could be possible seeing that GTA 4 pushed the 360 to its limits years ago, so how could they possibly improve it besides change the textures?

However, would Rockstar cut off 40 million potential buys?
Highly doubtful as the one thing this generation has shown is that devs will happily reduce the quality of the game for more customers.

Darkong

Nov 6, 2007
grrr said:
As a response to all of the financial type comments and 'where are the benefits?' style questions I just want to say this again. A huge part of my theory here is that Rockstar may have to at least temporarily give them the game in exchange for Agent because how is Rockstar North going to work on that game and GTA V? It's mostly based around the complications there. Rockstar owes Sony an exclusive because of a deal.
If there is actually a contract there then they owe the contracted game, and if GTA5 is not the named game in the contract then they do not owe Sony an exclusive of GTA5 in any way.

Do you honestly think that Rockstar are stupid enough to shrink their market as much as releasing GTA5, which will almost certainly be the biggest game release of whichever year it hits the shelves, on only one console? Please, the amount of money Sony would have to pay them to make it exclusive would negate the income Sony themselves would make from it. Rockstars shareholders would hit the ceiling if the company announced that their biggest property would be gimped like that.

Skootz

Dec 8, 2010
the reason why I know it wont be a PS3 exclusive? the trailer was all over my 360's dashboard.

Bvenged

Sep 4, 2009
Jimbo1212 said:
Wrong - the PS3 is a fair bit more powerful, but sadly both flop compared to a basic gaming rig of £500.
In one sense, a PS3 exclusive could be possible seeing that GTA 4 pushed the 360 to its limits years ago, so how could they possibly improve it besides change the textures?

However, would Rockstar cut off 40 million potential buys?
Highly doubtful as the one thing this generation has shown is that devs will happily reduce the quality of the game for more customers.
While you are right about PC being superior by a long shot, PS3 and 360 are barely different in power these days. Read my comment at the top of the page then nod your head as I ask you "You're not very aware when it comes to technological advancements or changes in the way computers logically handle data, are you?".

The efficiency of data handling on both consoles these days has become superb, allowing the developers to allocate more processing time to render greater detail in textures and more polygons for meshes, whilst calculating smarter AI & rendering more objects on-screen real-time than any game 3 years back on the same hardware; when we thought they had hit the limit.

TheComedown

Aug 24, 2009
HassEsser said:
Yea, I had initially thought that it had to be a PS3 exclusive as well, it just doesn't make sense to me for a developer like Rockstar, to continue to develop on tech they have more than surpassed. Plus, Rockstar could easily make the game to it's maximum potential, then wait for the 720 to finally give it an Xbox release.
Umm... Ok try again.

You know it makes plenty of sense to develop on tech they have more then surpassed, the 360 is a massive install base and they would be bat shit insane not to launch such a big name title as a ps3 exclusive especially after the last few installments weren't exclusive, could you imagine the backlash? Let alone the money they would miss out on from the 360 users. At the end of the day its the money that decides these things and money wise it sure as fuck makes sense to develop for "tech they have more then surpassed"

D Moness

Left the building
Sep 16, 2010
Kalado said:
Also, Wii U. It is possible.
I will laugh my ass of if that gets announced.

Timed exclusive maybe but for rockstar to not want to earn so much money and make it a exclusive I do not see that happening

Coldster

Oct 29, 2010
Pearwood said:
The 360 specs and PS3 specs are so similar any game that runs on one can run on the other. Look at stuff like Halo Reach, beautiful game. I've always had the impression the 360 has better graphics card and stuff and the PS3 has a better processor but the differences are so small no one really cares.

I don't see them cutting their fanbase in half like that, it doesn't really make sense. Unless Sony has bought exclusive rights which I guess is a possibility but we'll have to wait and see about that.
I was going to write a comment, but then I saw this. Yep. This is pretty much what I was going to say. Thanks guy. =)

OT: Besides, Rockstar games sold better on the Xbox 360 last time I checked.