Why I think GTA V will be a PS3 exclusive.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
Pearwood said:
I don't see them cutting their fanbase in half like that, it doesn't really make sense. Unless Sony has bought exclusive rights which I guess is a possibility but we'll have to wait and see about that.
That's the only reason I can think of but I don't think it's a possibility.

Sony has long since written off the PS3. The support for the ps3 this generation has been horrendous and I haven't seen any evidence that they're interested in improving that.

In fact with the latest PS3 firmware update (4.0), they've pretty much proven that they've given up on the ps3 and are just putting their weight behind the new psp which will probably (after launch) end up getting the same crappy support the ps3 & psp get.

At this point, I think the idea of Sony paying the shitloads of money it would take to snag that exclusivity of something like GTA is pretty unrealistic.

BTW - are you by any chance sapient-pearwood?

OP-Whatever they're hyping up will not be as exciting as your hoping it will be. They just want you to watch.

I like the idea of a big studio like R*N really opening up the PS3, showing us what it can do when talented programmers try and fill up one of those BR discs but I just haven't seen anything so far that would make me think that anyone but the ps3 gamers are interested in that becoming a reality.

MurderousToaster

Aug 9, 2008
It wouldn't make any financial sense to release a game in a high-profile and famously multi-platform series as an exclusive to one platform.

Also, I hate it when PS3 and 360 users start arguing over hardware. In the eyes of me and my PC-elitist brain, all of your hardware is outdated. Although that may just be the envy over the fact that I have an inkling that while it's probably not going to be exclusive, it probably isn't going to get a PC release for a very long time, as is the habit with Rockstar these days.

Pearwood

Mar 24, 2010
GonzoGamer said:
Indeed I am. There have been some pretty good PS3 exclusives, the best by far being Little Big Planet but I'm hoping the fact there hasn't been as many is a sign that exclusives are on their way out.

HassEsser

Jul 31, 2009
Zachary Amaranth said:
So they're going to make it PC only? SWEEEEEET!
Matthew94 said:
yeah I agree, the PS3 and xbox have been surpassed looong ago, PC exclusive it is then.
Hahahah, you guys are clever. . . and correct. But Rockstar has a shaky history with shitty ports to PC, so I don't think they share our logic >:/
TheComedown said:
Umm... Ok try again.

You know it makes plenty of sense to develop on tech they have more then surpassed, the 360 is a massive install base and they would be bat shit insane not to launch such a big name title as a ps3 exclusive especially after the last few installments weren't exclusive, could you imagine the backlash? Let alone the money they would miss out on from the 360 users. At the end of the day its the money that decides these things and money wise it sure as fuck makes sense to develop for "tech they have more then surpassed"
But the point isn't sales, and the point isn't money, especially to a dev like Rockstar. They already have all the money in the world, and, for that matter, it does not make sense to develop an incredibly massive game, but throttle it's capabilities just to make it work on hardware that is six years old, especially when much more modern and advanced tech exists. I think the most recent example of a game doing that, is Skyrim, and it is painfully obvious that they did that, outside of knowing the fact that Microsoft is paying Bethesda.

And I also don't think there would be that much backlash, mainly because no one would be surprised. Tons of people own a PS3 anyway, and if they don't, it's getting about time to pick one up, ESPECIALLY if it's a PS3 exclusive.

But you know what, this is all speculation, so I say we just wait for Rockstar's next move, because talking about it won't change a thing.

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
Another argument for it is the Blu-ray disc. There's no was GTA V would fit on a regular DVD or 5.
I like this theory. Rockstar is big enough to push a console, and they're big enough to go on any console they want without losing a lot of sales. People will buy a PS3 for GTA V. There's just the question of why they'd do it, can Sony really afford a deal like this? I guess I'll have to look forward to the VGAs, when is it (in GMT)?

Still, I was surprised they're actually gonna release it for this generation, and since nothing's been confirmed or denied we may just be surprised.

Jack and Calumon

Digimon are cool.
Dec 29, 2008
I respect your opinion and find it rather intriguing, BUT I must feel the need to point out that any advantage that the PS3 has over the 360 in processing and graphics power is outweighed by the amount of memory (RAM) the PS3 has, which is not a lot. The PS3's lack of memory is the sole reason it does not have party chat like the Xbox, and is probably the reason the in-game XMB took so long to pump out.

I don't think it will be exclusive, as their is more money in multiplatform, unless...

UNLESS THIS WAS SONY'S PLAN ALL ALONG! What if Sony wanted Rockstar to make GTA IV a multiplatform game and treat Microsoft well with all that timed exclusive DLC, so that they can gain the trust of the 360 users. Then, BOOM! GTA V is exclusive to PS3! Suddenly all the fans that GTA IV garnered on the 360 are out of luck and can't play GTA V, UNLESS THEY BUY A PS3! This is either extremely unlikely OR THE GREATEST SALES TACTIC IN THE HISTORY OF CONSOLE GAMING!

Calumon: Why would you make one cake for someone, but then say they can never have another cake ever again? :S

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
Pearwood said:
GonzoGamer said:
Indeed I am. There have been some pretty good PS3 exclusives, the best by far being Little Big Planet but I'm hoping the fact there hasn't been as many is a sign that exclusives are on their way out.
Sweet. If there were more sapient pearwood in the world, I would be a carpenter.

LBP was great and so was Valkyria Chronicles but the only benefit I can see to exclusives is that the devs don't have to quickly slap together a crappy port (which is usually the ps3 version) and gamers don't have to pay the same $60 for a substandard product.

I'm hoping that by next generation the consoles will come up with some sort of programming standard so they don't have to port games over. Think about how much that would save in development costs. Think about how great it would be to not have to worry if the version you bought was a crappy port. Think about how great it would be for retailers to condense the three game sections for pc, ps, & xbx into one.
The way they do it now doesn't seem to make sense for anyone.

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
While it is likely the Xbox version will have to be on multiple disks (such as Rage and B3) I doubt they will forgo several million sales just to avoid extra disks costs.

Phlakes

Elite Member
Mar 25, 2010
That's some nice conjecture. Although I prefer to remember that Rockstar's last three games have all been cross-platform, and restricting this one would cut sales and strongly hurt fan support.

walrusaurus

Mar 1, 2011
Not a chance. After the veritable mountain of money they made on the last one, there's no way that Sony can fork up enough cash to get them to make it exclusive.

Diablo2000

Tiger Robocop
Aug 29, 2010
Nope... It won't be a PS3 exclusive. Rockstar is not stupid enough to cut 2\3 of the market like that.

And I suspect that may also be into that Wii U thing once it's released, so it would be 3/4 of potencial market that they would be cutting off..

TheComedown

Aug 24, 2009
HassEsser said:
Zachary Amaranth said:
So they're going to make it PC only? SWEEEEEET!
Matthew94 said:
yeah I agree, the PS3 and xbox have been surpassed looong ago, PC exclusive it is then.
Hahahah, you guys are clever. . . and correct. But Rockstar has a shaky history with shitty ports to PC, so I don't think they share our logic >:/
TheComedown said:
Umm... Ok try again.

You know it makes plenty of sense to develop on tech they have more then surpassed, the 360 is a massive install base and they would be bat shit insane not to launch such a big name title as a ps3 exclusive especially after the last few installments weren't exclusive, could you imagine the backlash? Let alone the money they would miss out on from the 360 users. At the end of the day its the money that decides these things and money wise it sure as fuck makes sense to develop for "tech they have more then surpassed"
But the point isn't sales, and the point isn't money, especially to a dev like Rockstar. They already have all the money in the world, and, for that matter, it does not make sense to develop an incredibly massive game, but throttle it's capabilities just to make it work on hardware that is six years old, especially when much more modern and advanced tech exists. I think the most recent example of a game doing that, is Skyrim, and it is painfully obvious that they did that, outside of knowing the fact that Microsoft is paying Bethesda.

And I also don't think there would be that much backlash, mainly because no one would be surprised. Tons of people own a PS3 anyway, and if they don't, it's getting about time to pick one up, ESPECIALLY if it's a PS3 exclusive.

But you know what, this is all speculation, so I say we just wait for Rockstar's next move, because talking about it won't change a thing.
Come on now. Your fanboy is showing.

I'm going to have to agree with the other two posts you quoted then. If its all about the tech then why the fuck does anyone even develop for any platform aside from PC? Not to mention rockstar hasn't even been able to make a passable port for the PC in a very long time.

No, really are you that naive? Do you really think that this isn't about money, the game is going to cost millions and millions to make, and you think that they are going to drastically reduce their returns by cutting out such a massive portion of their market?

Really you think there wont be a backlash? Really? I think you drastically overestimate the how many people have the PS3 compared to the xbox. Yeah its more then it was, but still to walk out and drop 400-500 bucks on a second console, then add accessories and games on top of that is a lot of money a lot of people can't justify spending for just one or two PS3 exclusives.

Have you heard how bad the xbox community can be? To pull such a massive release from the platform after the last few installments of the series was on the platform is a massive dick move, and no community responds well to a dick move, especially one as rowdy as the xbox community.

captaincabbage

Apr 8, 2010
To be honest, I don't really mind if it's exclusive for my beloved PS3 or not, because we're all gonna get it sooner or later.

BY big hope for GTA5 is that they totally revamp the sound effects for all the cars this time around. Remember the Sabre Turbo from Vice City? Remember how it has the most gutsy, throaty roar of any car in the entire GTA series? It was so beastly they reused that exact engine sound for other cars in San Andreas. I want cars that actually sound like they have engines this time around :D

grrr

Jan 9, 2010
jawakiller said:
I declare though an insistent fan-boy with the manners of my stable boy, good sir. I would challenge ye to mortal combat this not been over the net in between us. Your babblings give me such the ache of head that I believe I may soon grow numb to it.

HAhahah. You porlly have a point but the 360, while it may be weaker, is actually rather well optimized to handle large games. So perhaps but only perhaps.

But PC? That sir, is taking too far.

Pistols at dawn.
I never said that the PS3 is graphically superior to the PC, I don't have mental problems. And your grammar scares me.

DarkRyter

Dec 15, 2008
They didn't do it for GTAIV.

Rockstar would be insane to make a game just graphically intensive enough so that the PS3 can handle it, but the 360 can't.

They would also be crazy to not release their game on a more widely owned console.

Sony does not have that kind of money. Microsoft made a 30 million dollar deal to have GTAIV DLC exclusive to the 360, and that only lasted a year anyway before they were out for PS3 and PC.

jawakiller

Jan 14, 2011
grrr said:
I never said that the PS3 is graphically superior to the PC, I don't have mental problems. And your grammar scares me.
At the risk of sounding silly, I feel I must defend my honor. Bad grammar was the point. If you've ever read an old missive you will find a disturbing collection of grammar mistakes. Just throwing that one out there.

Bobbity

Mar 17, 2010

People are actually still debating this? Not Rockstar, nor any other sane developer, is going to abandon half of their potential sales for the sake of making the graphics slightly prettier. If that were the case, everything would be a PC exclusive. GTA5 will be available on all the platforms, because, unless they've been bought as an exclusive - news that Sony would be trumpeting from every rooftop - then there's no way that Rockstar's willingly going to forgo so much money.