Why I think the "friend zone" is a load of crap.

Lilani

Sometimes known as CaitieLou
May 27, 2009
If you've been on the Internet for more than a few hours, I'm sure you've probably heard something about this mysterious "friend zone" so many guys apparently get trapped in. If you haven't, the basic theory is this: If you are friends with a girl you like, she will not notice or consider your interest because you are friends. In her mind, you are a friend and ONLY a friend, never to be considered as anything else. There's even a meme based on the theory, Friend Zone Fiona [http://www.quickmeme.com/Friendzone-Fiona/oldest/5/?upcoming] (a bit of adult language in there, look out).

As a female, and having spent most of my life around a LOT of females who have been in a LOT of relationships (most of them in high school, mind) I find this theory quite baffling. I mean usually the stereotypes about guys and girls and relationships are based in SOME sort of logic or plausible event, but this is utter nonsense. And I think I've figured why. The way I see it, the friend zone is based on three misconceptions about women and relationships.

1. ANY girl you like will like you back if given the opportunity.

The concept of the "friend zone" is based on the situation of a guy likes a girl but she doesn't seem to be reciprocating. Meaning, the guy is running on the assumption that the girl does like him, she just hasn't realized it yet. Guys, I have some bad news for you. Just because you like a girl, it doesn't mean she's going to like you back. I don't care how well you know her, I don't care how well she knows you, I don't care how much you think you were made for each other. That's just not how it works. Relationships are a two way street--she has to like you just as much as you like her. And, believe it or not, it is very possible for you to be head over heels for someone, and they be totally disinterested. Trust me, that's the short version of the all stories of my crushes in high school, and I've seen many a friend join me in it. That's probably why they're called "crushes."

2. Girls do not have the ability to view friends as potential boyfriends.

There's a book by a guy named Chad Eastham, and in it he gave what I think is about the most accurate comparison of girl and guy's minds. Guys are like waffles. Everything in their mind is in totally separate compartment from all the other parts. This is why guys are often better at not being emotionally attached about sex than women are. Their sex drive and their desire for a single, dedicated mate are quite detached from each other (not always, and I realize that's broad, but compared to most women you have to admit most guys just do that better).

Now, the mind of a girl is more like spaghetti. Everything is all mixed and intermingled, one thing leading to the next and another and another thing. This is why girls tend to multitask better, can talk about a million things for hours on end, and have no problem continuing such conversations into the bathroom and back. "Bathroom? Whatever, it's just a more private place to chat!" There's less of a barrier there. Peeing and talking just isn't that big of a deal. There's no barrier (though being able to use stalls does help that, I suppose).

So in reality, girls are actually better at this than guys. Better at not putting things in such strict, separated boxes. Trust me: If she's available, she knows you, and she has the slightest inkling she might like you, then she's considered you as a possible date. The only thing that could keep her from thinking that is if she thinks you're not available (and even then that may not be a problem for her).

Also, here's a bit of "girl code" I'm going to let you in on. If you do outright tell a girl you like her, and she says she just wants to stay friends then that does NOT mean she hasn't considered it. That is her way of saying "I don't like you that way" without ruining your friendship with the harsh wording. It means exactly that--she wants to stay friends. She is not interested.

3. Relationships cannot sprout from friendships.

A lot of relationship threads pass through these forums, and one thing I see a lot of is this terminal fear of making friends with a girl before asking her out, all because of this mythical friend zone. But, then they run into trouble because asking out a girl who you're a total stranger to is rather creepy on her end. I am on the complete opposite spectrum of that friendship theory. I feel like the best relationships come from friendships. Honestly, I don't know if I'd want to date someone if I wasn't friends with them first. My brother and sister in law started out as friends. Now they've been together for more than 10 years, been married 3 of those years, and are about to build a house on some land they just bought.

And my first boyfriend started out as a friend. We met each other in October of that year, I realized I liked him around February, and around April he caught on and we got together. It didn't work out, but we had fun and left on friendly terms. But between February and April, there was a time when I guess you could say I was "friend zoned." We were going to see a movie with some friends, and he mentioned he was going to have trouble explaining to his parents that he was going to see a movie with a friend who was a girl, but not a girlfriend. Ouch, that stung. But I kept at him, finally made him aware of my feelings, and then he started chasing me back down. But, he didn't start making moves until he knew I liked him. And I understood that. He was a computer science major, not a psychic. And neither are women. If you've been working on a friend for a while and you're getting no response, just find a quiet place and outright tell her. I assure you, that is the fastest way to find out if there's going to be any reciprocation.

So in short, I feel like this "friend zone" is nothing more the invention of insecure guys who either don't understand how relationships work, or can't get up the gumption to get up and do something about the girl they are pining over. There may be situations similar to it, but it's not inescapable, and it is definitely not her fault. And I think that's the other thing that gets on my nerves about this--it shifts all the blame to the girl. It's not that the guy hasn't properly shown her he's interested, or even that it's totally out of his hands because he's just not her type. No, it's that she just isn't giving him a chance and she just can't see how perfect they are for each other. So please, cut it out. No more friend zones. If you like a girl, then do something about it. If she doesn't reciprocate, then just pack up and move on. There are way too many fish in the sea to get discouraged, and there is nothing wrong with having friends.

Total LOLige

Jul 17, 2009
think this might cause a shit storm I think a Game of Thrones meme would be appropriate, however I'm not very meme savy. I've never been friend zoned so I can't comment on wether it's fact or fiction.

WiccaVamp

Jun 26, 2009
I don't think the implication behind "friendzone" is that no relationship can come from being friends so much as sometimes, becoming close can form a relationship more associated with a sibling or close friend there by making that situation less likely to blossom into a romantic equation.

burningdragoon

Warrior without Weapons
Jul 27, 2009
You lost me at waffle brains... mmmmm, waffles.

Anyway, yeah I mostly agree. Annnnd I'm not coming up with further input really.

Don Savik

Aug 27, 2011
You and the rest of the world. Congratulations.

do you want a cookie?

[sub]seriously do you people not see the same thread pop up over and over and over and over again? can't you get your point across there? so many repeat threads.....ugh[/sub]

Erana

Feb 28, 2008
A good friend could become a partner, and asking someone out as an acquaintance could work, too. The thing about "Friendzone" that just kills me is when the supposed friendzone victim was never honest about their intentions. You're going along as a friend, and then all the sudden they apparently have had a crush on you and the other person resents the fact that you don't want to date them.
Of course you don't have to go around announcing that you have romantic interests towards everyone in question, but if you are approaching a relationship with another person with romance in the forfront of your intent... Then was your acts of apparent friendship ever sincere at all? Love blooming on a battlefield from a friendship takes two special people whose bond evolves from friend to romantic partners. If you're jumping the shark and are all over the romance part when the other is still at the "I like to hang out at the coffee shop with this person" stage, how is there supposed to be any growth between you?
You can't just throw dedication at someone and expect that they'll just go fully reciprocating it. That's not a good relationship. That's a form of unhealthy, passive control.

subtlefuge

Lord Cromulent
May 21, 2010
I'm fairly certain that this topic has been covered exhaustively. If I weren't so bored of this subject, I would do the thing that I do with the words and the links to let you know that the topic is pretty well tried and tired.

Instead, I'll just mostly agree and leave you with

WiccaVamp

Jun 26, 2009
overpuce said:
WiccaVamp said:
I don't think the implication behind "friendzone" is that no relationship can come from being friends so much as sometimes, becoming close can form a relationship more associated with a sibling or close friend there by making that situation less likely to blossom into a romantic equation.
Bah I've dated my "sister" before (That came out creepier than needed). Sure it might be less likely for a relationship to blossom from a "sibling" style friendship but it has happened. Unfortunately once a relationship reaches that point, there's this distinct lack of "feeling each other out" period in the relationship. Like it's catapulted to a serious relationship where the both of you know each and every quirk about each other.

OT:
I really don't understand this whole push in the friendzone topic recently. I saw it a while back before I even re-visited the escapist after a long hiatus. I know that people believe it exists but you've pretty much hit the nail on the head @Lalani.

The only thing I could add is, I've used the friend zone as an excuse for utterly horrible rejections before.
Notice I never stated that it was impossible, I said less likely. I'm in a serious relationship with my best friend of 10 years and its great so clearly I know its possible, however I do reiterate that i can see the less likely aptitude of going after someone you consider family. But the "friendzone" seems to imply that it's a place where girls put guys they already don't see as anything else into, and it associates more with the implication that girls want a guy more take charge and bad boyish which is really not the case in most situations in my opinion.

WiccaVamp

Jun 26, 2009
overpuce said:
WiccaVamp said:
Notice I never stated that it was impossible, I said less likely. I'm in a serious relationship with my best friend of 10 years and its great so clearly I know its possible, however I do reiterate that i can see the less likely aptitude of going after someone you consider family. But the "friendzone" seems to imply that it's a place where girls put guys they already don't see as anything else into, and it associates more with the implication that girls want a guy more take charge and bad boyish.
Quite aware that you didn't state that it was an impossibility (though I agree that it's an improbability that people who are super close date).

I wonder though, can a girl be in a guy's "friendzone" or is the "friendzone" exclusive to guys?

Aside:
Why can't they call it the friend pasture because that's what it seems like.

"Well you're too good of a friend to date. So I'm going to take you out of the meat packing plant and put you out to pasture."
I think girls can be in the "friendzone" too, In fact I know a few who have been.

And Friend pasture is a much better term, you should coin that and make it a thing lol.

RatRace123

Elite Member
Dec 1, 2009
I agree OP the best way to deal with this issue is to just lay your cards bare. And if the guy/gal doesn't like you, move on.
However, you shouldn't stop being friends with them over that, and you should never ever be friends with someone just because you intend to sleep with them. There's a word for that type of person, "douche".

I only wish I had a proper understanding of that when I was a stupid hormonally driven teenager. Might've made those years less depressing.

Ah well, live and learn.

Vegosiux

May 18, 2011
RatRace123 said:
However, you shouldn't stop being friends with them over that.
Why not? I mean, if person A has every right to say "I don't like you that way, so it won't work out", then why doesn't person B have the right to say "Fair enough, but I don't feel this will work out as a friendship either" and walk away, at least temporarily?

Or rather, why is rejecting person B's feeling "okay", but rejecting person A's feelings is "douchey"? Let the both decide for themselves.

Blobpie

May 20, 2009
Girls have the right to not "like-like" a guy (and vise-versa), understanding this is what being a friend is all about. And if one cannot accept that it's their problem, a friend does not owe you for being friends.

RatRace123

Elite Member
Dec 1, 2009
Vegosiux said:
RatRace123 said:
However, you shouldn't stop being friends with them over that.
Why not? I mean, if person A has every right to say "I don't like you that way, so it won't work out", then why doesn't person B have the right to say "Fair enough, but I don't feel this will work out as a friendship either" and walk away, at least temporarily?

Or rather, why is rejecting person B's feeling "okay", but rejecting person A's feelings is "douchey"? Let the both decide for themselves.
Fair point. I think I was more strongly relating my other point, the one where someone is only being friends with someone else to get into their pants, which I do think is "douchey", to the above mentioned one.

Both people should decide for themselves in that situation. But to me, it just seems a shame to stop a friendship over something like that. Just because it doesn't work out in a romantic sense, I don't think that means you should lose a friend too. But I'm speaking as someone who doesn't have much experience with that particular subject, so I don't really know what it's like when you're in the heat of that moment.

Kriptonite

Jul 3, 2009
Lilani said:
If you've been on the Internet for more than a few hours, I'm sure you've probably heard something about this mysterious "friend zone" so many guys apparently get trapped in.
As a female, and having spent most of my life around a LOT of females who have been in a LOT of relationships (most of them in high school, mind) I find this theory quite baffling. I mean usually the stereotypes about guys and girls and relationships are based in SOME sort of logic or plausible event, but this is utter nonsense. And I think I've figured why.
It's always nice when one is able to get the story from "both sides" so to speak.
You do know that people are far more likely to over-emphasize things when their feelings are involved right? That, coupled with the fact that people don't like to be the source of their problems gives us what you seem to hate so fervently. People love playing the victim.
And I think that's the other thing that gets on my nerves about this--it shifts all the blame to the girl. It's not that the guy hasn't properly shown her he's interested, or even that it's totally out of his hands because he's just not her type. No, it's that she just isn't giving him a chance and she just can't see how perfect they are for each other.
I can certainly see why you think the friend-zone paints the woman in a...less than favourable light. I don't think that it's so much blaming the female as it is pointlessly whining.
Okay, so, right now I'm not operating at my best and my thoughts seem to refuse transcription. I do believe that the friend-zone exists, but in a different way than you perceive it. Well, that's not exactly what I mean. Goodness, I give up. I'll most likely stop by at a more reasonable hour as I am actually interested in this topic.

Sidenote: I cannot begin to thank you enough for your post. In this instance, I am not referring to the content, I mean the presentation. I didn't find a single spelling or grammar error and I was able to read it in its entirety with ease: you know, the way it should be. Too often am I disappointed in how others present deep thought or things similar. People don't seem to care anymore about things like spelling and grammar. I guess I just like to complain a lot but thank you for not giving me a reason this time.
I'm rambling now, my apologies. Good night.

rosac

Sep 13, 2008
It annoys me when people say "Oh, I've been friendzoned" and then completely stop talking to/trying it with the girl. Seriously, oh no, she likes you as a friend, why not work at it and make it a bit more obvious that you like her. I know its scary, especially if you dont want to ruin the friendship you have, but you need to find a way of telling her you like her without making it awkward whilst also having the ability to get over it and move on if you do get brushed off.

But, in my opinion, if you're one of her best friends, you may not be brushed off, and probably have a better chance than the people she doesnt know.

/rant.

Doclector

Aug 22, 2009
Oh god. It's not that you're wrong op, and you have very good intentions, I'm sure, but we've had this over and over, with the OP always forgetting the same point;

Rejection f***ing hurts.

Now, this doesn't excuse the friend zone, but these kind of posts are always so very harsh. Just have a little understanding, us men try to keep up the illusion that we don't feel negative emotions, aside from perhaps anger when it's funny or it intimidates people, but we do feel emotional pain, and it hurts like a b**** to be rejected, especially if it's the several time with no successes. It's not only that, but it's the shame. Often you see that everyone around you has succeeded where you failed.

And you've got to understand the desperation of some of these people. The ones who have been rejected over and over and over. They just can't understand that they're too ugly to ever be wanted. Let me tell you as an abomination myself, that's one hell of a mental wall to climb over, to insult yourself everytime you get that stupid little thought that you could be who she wants, to remind yourself that for you, it's simply not to be and never will be. Once you accept it, and it'll take years, it gets easier, but I'll be honest, every now and again, I still get desperate, maybe when drunk I decide to try and pick up some poor girl who's probably horrified at the sight of me. It's selfish, I know, but nigh on impossible to resist forever.

So please, you are completely right, and I'm sure you have the best of intentions, but just have a little understanding for how much that situation hurts.

RaphaelsRedemption

Eats With Her Mouth Full
May 3, 2010
Erana said:
OP and Erana, thank you for two honest, well-written posts.

As a married woman, I don't have a lot of experience with this subject anymore, but your wisdom rings true with me.

I find most posts from "friend-zoned" boys sound extremely entitled. I have a feeling that those who are dismissing the original post are those who find the truth hard to take.