Why is America so awesome?

Mr Cwtchy

Jan 13, 2009
I could simply say that its all Bush's fault the U.S. is allegedly hated, since it is not entirely unfounded.In general though, I believe that the blame lies, as usual, with the Government.

CAB_IV

Oct 15, 2008
I think America has it's merits, and i definitely think that most peopel from other countries get easily riled up, because the picture they get of America is in my opinion, pretty distorted. I have freinds from other countries who just ask questions that i find ridiculous, because their perceptions of the people here are so off.

You might not agree with our government, but that also changes frequently, and so there is always an oppertunity to change. I would wager that the opinion of america will change for the better in the next 20 years or so, as the current young generation grows up and gets more influence on the system.

I notice that alot of the young people sound just as angry about the less than perfect things our government and country are guilty of as many of you guys from other parts of the world, and while there will always be idiots, I think policy and people will change.

there is one thing that makes america great, and that is most americans are willing to try to change and improve themselves. The people here are not the idiots you guys seem to think we are. Trust me on that one.

BlueMage

Jan 22, 2008
Nigh Invulnerable said:
falcontwin said:
Nigh Invulnerable said:
falcontwin said:
JOE COOL said:
The U.S.A. in general is just the safest place to be, I mean we never had a magor war on our soil.
I think you mean major war and I also am guessing you have never heard of the U.S Civil war where America fought itself that was a pretty massive war. Also I'm pretty sure Hawaii is part of the U.S. and the japanese bombed the fuck out of it in WW2 so thats at least 2 major wars fought on your soil.

To go by your logic that no major wars heve been there Australia is an awesome place to live No one has ever attacked us (or new zeland for that matter)
By this logic Antarctica would be the most ideal place to live. No noisy neighbors. Plenty of fresh penguin meat. Occasionally your dick turns to ice and falls off...
I'll put up with a few noisy neibours for a country full of decent topless beaches (Boobies FTW) and a good BBQ onws penguin meat all day long. So I'm gonna have to say that the topic should be changed to "Australia is awesome" (there is no WHY? it's just a fact!).
Aside from the ridiculous censorship of video games, the higher prices, and the delays in releases, Australia seems like a pretty sweet country. Oh wait, there are tons of poisonous snakes, spiders, and aquatic life there that can kill me dead in about 10 seconds...maybe I'll pass.
And yet, 99.98% of us still survive more than long enough to breed several times, even with adventuring into the areas said wildlife infest. Shocking :O

Nigh Invulnerable

Jan 5, 2009
BlueMage said:
Nigh Invulnerable said:
falcontwin said:
Nigh Invulnerable said:
falcontwin said:
JOE COOL said:
The U.S.A. in general is just the safest place to be, I mean we never had a magor war on our soil.
I think you mean major war and I also am guessing you have never heard of the U.S Civil war where America fought itself that was a pretty massive war. Also I'm pretty sure Hawaii is part of the U.S. and the japanese bombed the fuck out of it in WW2 so thats at least 2 major wars fought on your soil.

To go by your logic that no major wars heve been there Australia is an awesome place to live No one has ever attacked us (or new zeland for that matter)
By this logic Antarctica would be the most ideal place to live. No noisy neighbors. Plenty of fresh penguin meat. Occasionally your dick turns to ice and falls off...
I'll put up with a few noisy neibours for a country full of decent topless beaches (Boobies FTW) and a good BBQ onws penguin meat all day long. So I'm gonna have to say that the topic should be changed to "Australia is awesome" (there is no WHY? it's just a fact!).
Aside from the ridiculous censorship of video games, the higher prices, and the delays in releases, Australia seems like a pretty sweet country. Oh wait, there are tons of poisonous snakes, spiders, and aquatic life there that can kill me dead in about 10 seconds...maybe I'll pass.
And yet, 99.98% of us still survive more than long enough to breed several times, even with adventuring into the areas said wildlife infest. Shocking :O
I know. I was just making, you know, generalizations because I've never actually been there. It's something most of us Americans like to do when we don't really know what we're talking about. I realize that most of said deadly creatures are rather rare, but the thought of there being hordes of spiders, snakes, and other freaky things is just too good.

LeeHarveyO

Jan 13, 2009
Aardvark said:
There's no such thing as the USA. It's a myth perpetrated by the leaders of the Muslim world, who are in need of a Great Satan to keep the people distracted while they live like kings. They have callcentres and datacentres dedicated to generating all correspondence reportedly from America. All those US soldiers wandering around Iraq? Mercenaries paid to be there, pissing people off.

Between Canada and Mexico, there's a great rift that leads to the centre of the Earth. Canadians and Mexicans, the superstitious lot they are, keep well away from the precipice and don't mention it to anyone, for fear of demons stealing their souls.
Dude OMG that is hilarious!!

LeeHarveyO

Jan 13, 2009
Why is America awesome? Do I really gotta spell it out... Cause we got the best military in the world, and football, not football, but football!!!!!!

PatientGrasshopper

Nov 2, 2008
sheic99 said:
PatientGrasshopper said:
sheic99 said:
PatientGrasshopper said:
Why should someone give up their hard earned money unless they choose to on their own free will?
Because Laissez Faire does not work.

I can provide plenty of support for that if you want.
Yes I would like to see your evidence.
I was being extremely lazy getting back to you about this. I already had this conversation with somebody else before you asked for evidence, so I'll give you the lazy answer. Third world countries and Industrilization. To answer you question more properly, because it is better to give money to Johnny Shithead who is to lazy to work that to not give any money to single parents who work two jobs to pay their rent and feed their children.
I have a better idea, how about we don't give money to someone who is lazy and have charities to give to those in real need how does that sound? I too was being really lazy in getting back to you.

Broloth said:
Jbird said:
I think its awesome that the first black president is also a comic book geek.
Harding was the first black president; and Obama is only half white.
Yes he can only be called half black and if he doesn'e have to be all black to be considered black here are your other black Presidents.
http://g33klite.com/index.php/facts/general/76-general/188-6-black-american-presidents

sheic99

Oct 15, 2008
PatientGrasshopper said:
sheic99 said:
PatientGrasshopper said:
sheic99 said:
PatientGrasshopper said:
Why should someone give up their hard earned money unless they choose to on their own free will?

I was being extremely lazy getting back to you about this. I already had this conversation with somebody else before you asked for evidence, so I'll give you the lazy answer. Third world countries and Industrilization. To answer you question more properly, because it is better to give money to Johnny Shithead who is to lazy to work that to not give any money to single parents who work two jobs to pay their rent and feed their children.
I have a better idea, how about we don't give money to someone who is lazy and have charities to give to those in real need how does that sound? I too was being really lazy in getting back to you.
Unfortunately that does not work. Most people are not willing to give away something for nothing. Thus creating a shortage of money for people who need it and further separating the lower and upper classes.

PatientGrasshopper

Nov 2, 2008
sheic99 said:
PatientGrasshopper said:
sheic99 said:
PatientGrasshopper said:
sheic99 said:
PatientGrasshopper said:

Unfortunately that does not work. Most people are not willing to give away something for nothing. Thus creating a shortage of money for people who need it and further separating the lower and upper classes.
Why waste resources on those that don't need it? So many people abuse the system already and it drains our economy, thus creating more people in need.

Scarecrow38

Apr 17, 2008
I'm Australian and although I think America has some misguided views about themselves and other countries, I think it is awesome because I feel safer having America doing what it does than I would if it wasn't there.

sheic99

Oct 15, 2008
PatientGrasshopper said:
sheic99 said:
PatientGrasshopper said:
sheic99 said:
PatientGrasshopper said:
sheic99 said:
PatientGrasshopper said:

Why waste resources on those that don't need it? So many people abuse the system already and it drains our economy, thus creating more people in need.
I want to see numbers from a Census before you can make that claim.

PatientGrasshopper

Nov 2, 2008
sheic99 said:
PatientGrasshopper said:
sheic99 said:
PatientGrasshopper said:
sheic99 said:
PatientGrasshopper said:

If you want numbers I can't give you anything definite because these people are cheating the system so they are under the radar, however I can give you sources.

http://www.topix.com/forum/city/utica-ny/T017PHCNR5V85M2R5

http://www.dss.cahwnet.gov/fraud/PG270.htm

This one is a source that proves illegal immigrants take from our system. Unlike citizens they don't put anything back in.
http://blog.beliefnet.com/crunchycon/2007/11/illegal-immigrants-a-welfare-n.html

There you go.

sheic99

Oct 15, 2008
PatientGrasshopper said:
sheic99 said:
PatientGrasshopper said:
sheic99 said:
PatientGrasshopper said:
sheic99 said:
PatientGrasshopper said:

If you want numbers I can't give you anything definite because these people are cheating the system so they are under the radar, however I can give you sources.

http://www.topix.com/forum/city/utica-ny/T017PHCNR5V85M2R5

http://www.dss.cahwnet.gov/fraud/PG270.htm

This one is a source that proves illegal immigrants take from our system. Unlike citizens they don't put anything back in.
http://blog.beliefnet.com/crunchycon/2007/11/illegal-immigrants-a-welfare-n.html

There you go.
The system of charity you proposed earlier would not work very well either. The same people would take advantage of the system with even less money for people who actually need it. But what I was actually looking for was an approximation of the number of fraud compared to the number of legit cases of welfare. I just realized that I never did answer the original of question of Why America is so Awesome. It is because we are in the current hegemony state. In other words, we are currently the most influential nation from the 1940's until present where it was previously the UK.

BlueMage

Jan 22, 2008
Nigh Invulnerable said:
BlueMage said:
Nigh Invulnerable said:
falcontwin said:
Nigh Invulnerable said:
falcontwin said:
JOE COOL said:

I know. I was just making, you know, generalizations because I've never actually been there. It's something most of us Americans like to do when we don't really know what we're talking about. I realize that most of said deadly creatures are rather rare, but the thought of there being hordes of spiders, snakes, and other freaky things is just too good.
Oh, it's not that they're rare ... quite the opposite, actually.

MelziGurl

Jan 16, 2009
Actually, Darwin was bombed by the Japanese in WW2 I believe. This is in response to falcontwin, since apparently I didn't actually want to quote his post about Australia never being attacked. -_-

MelziGurl

Jan 16, 2009
Nigh Invulnerable said:
BlueMage said:
Nigh Invulnerable said:
falcontwin said:
Nigh Invulnerable said:
falcontwin said:
JOE COOL said:

http://www.chanos2.com/images/lightened_minds/images/huntsman01.jpg These little babies are harmless :)

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,24540399-5009760,00.html Don't forget the bird eating spiders...Nom nom nom.

And watch out for Dropbears...

ZerOmega

Sep 14, 2008
TO answer sensenmann's original question: Yes, I do find it irritating, whenever I hear "God bless america!" or "USA is the best!". Don't take this as a privilege, because I hate anyone who claims that their nation is the greatest. Russians, Chinese, Italians, doesn't matter who does it, shouthing it out loud makes anyone look stupid and immature. Patriotism is a one thing, fanatism is all but another

How does one even compare nations between each other? Russia is the largest, China has the most people and Sweden has the best free health care. There is no one nation that would clearly stand above all the others. They all have their own streghts and weaknesses.