Why Is Graffiti Illegal?

Typical Cats

May 13, 2011
This question has plagued me for a while. Here is some of my thoughts on it.

I can see why it is illegal, really. It is used to deface property and is considered vandalism. But is it really? Most graffiti is actually appealing to see while driving or walking. It is interesting to see and can add spice to an area. Of course in some places, it should never be there i.e, Schools, Hospitals, Police Stations, ect.
What are your thoughts on it?

Hope you can decifer my writing, doing this REM sleep thing.

*Edit*
I don't think people caught my drift. I was talking about artistic graffiti, graffiti that isn't Gang related or that stuff. I didn't even know anywhere where people graffiti HOUSES. I guess that falls into the ect I was talking about.

Bridges, walls stuff like that.

*Edit2*
I'm getting your responses for a paper I'm doing for school. I didn't trust my own opinion. Thanks guys.

SillyBear

May 10, 2011
Because it is vandalism of someone else's property. It doesn't matter if it is appealing to you or not, you can't fuck with other people's property. The only people who can legally change the appearance or structure of an object are the said object's owners or people with permission from the owners. Simple!

Phlakes

Elite Member
Mar 25, 2010
Most of it is trash sprayed on by people who think they're a lot cooler than they really are.

Some of it is good, though. On some bridge supports here in Austin there's graffiti of Storm Troopers.

This isn't it, but it's definitely related-

EDIT:

Found it-

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
Most of it is fugly, and most of it is done without the consent of the owners of the buildings therefore making it vandalism.
Pretty obvious.

Souldead341

Nov 25, 2008
Just because it can be beautiful doesn't mean that's the look that the owner of the property wants. Who would think that a real estate broker or other "respectable" business would be good if thier building was covered in grafitti?

MagicMouse

Dec 31, 2009
Because people who own stuff don't want other peoples spray paint on it.

Is this really hard to understand? Like....really?

Nieroshai

Aug 20, 2009
Go ahead and deface your own property, no one has a right to stop you. But grafitti is defacing OTHERS' property, property you didn't pay for or own. That someone else paid for and owns.

TheDarklite

Nov 26, 2010
Well I for one would not appreciate waking up to find spray paint all over my fence or house, regardless of whether it looks pleasant or not.

The fact is, it is private property. These people have every right to paint their own stuff, but they have no right to walk up to another persons property and make a mess all over it.

I don't care if they think it looks nice.

Arehexes

Jun 27, 2008
Typical Cats said:
This question has plagued me for a while. Here is some of my thoughts on it.

I can see why it is illegal, really. It is used to deface property and is considered vandalism. But is it really? Most graffiti is actually appealing to see while driving or walking. It is interesting to see and can add spice to an area. Of course in some places, it should never be there i.e, Schools, Hospitals, Police Stations, ect.
What are your thoughts on it?

Hope you can decifer my writing, doing this REM sleep thing.
Mind if I spray stuff on your house without asking? Also welcome to the Escapist

JET1971

Apr 7, 2011
most? actualy not even close. most grafitti is gang signs and names quickly sprayed onto whatever or random shit wrote in a restroom. the artistic ones are great and all even though i cant read whats written half the time is still illeagal until the artist contacts whoever owns the wall/subwaycar or whatever and gets permission to create public art for free.

RatRace123

Elite Member
Dec 1, 2009
It's illegal because most of it sucks and is unappealing to the eye. At least it is here, (there's also that whole vandalism thing.) most of it is just some dumbasses throwing up their "slogan" or whatever to the side of a building. Or writing something "witty" or "funny". It's mostly stupid kids writing it all.

Yeah, it's illegal for good reason because it's ugly and annoying and makes me ashamed to be as young as I am. Since around my town, about half of the graffiti comes from people who were in my graduating class.

Innegativeion

Positively Neutral!
Feb 18, 2011
Typical Cats said:
Of course in some places, it should never be there
There's your problem. Who gets the authority to decide what building is okay to deface?

And what happens when the folks who own the bridge on route 95 want compensation for the big dicks spray-painted all over their bridge?

icame

Aug 4, 2010
Because some people don't want others having the right to spray whatever the hell they want on their property? Most people don't want a panting (Using term loosely. Most spray painting looks like ass.) on the side of their, for example, Insurance business.

artanis_neravar

Apr 18, 2011
SillyBear said:
Because it is vandalism of someone else's property. It doesn't matter if it is appealing to you or not, you can't fuck with other people's property.
This, and there is no way of defining what you could or couldn't draw, I mean you make graffiti legal and people could draw a swastika on a Jewish Synagogue, and you couldn't stop them because it would be considered "art"

Flig

Nov 24, 2009
For the same reason you wouldn't want me to come to your house in the middle of the night and paint one side neon pink.

PotatoLord

Jun 1, 2010
Defacement of property that is not your own is illegal. If you want one of those giant public spray-paint murals, you can ask the owner first. If they give permission, there's no problem. But what is and isn't appealing is very subjective. Not everyone wants to see some teenager's attempt at art on the way to work everyday.