Why is it so hard to get away with hating the Beatles?

Sovereignty

Jan 25, 2010
The Beatles music is crap. It was supposedly something amazing, simply because it was the first "pop-rock" band that caught on mainstream. They weren't revolutionary, their music isn't relevant or conveying of a message. It's simply the N*Sync of the 60's-70's.

Want to know the real secret to their "success" and "fame" now?

Michael Jackson owned all the rights to their songs. So their music wasn't overplayed and over-exposed in commercials and the like. He did it as a means to choke out the competition. And it worked. Now that he's dead and the locked up rights are free. Guess what? Everyone is back on the bandwagon.

The reason it grabs so much hate is the same reason, you're likely to get shanked for saying Tupac's rapping was garbage. It's the fan base. These aren't educated, well-rounded individuals who are capable of accepting music is all about opinion. These are people who flock on bandwagons and assume because they find it catchy, it's the only reason music still exists.

But screw the Beatles. Especially the fact that typing "beatles" in Wikipedia directs you to their band page. As opposed to a page about BEATLES. That was where I stopped saying, "I don't like the Beatles" and jumped on the "The Beatles = N*sync circa 1960" ship.

Disclaimer: I realize not every fan is like what I listed above. But most of them are, and I'm basing my opinions on that.

LarenzoAOG

Apr 28, 2010
ReservoirAngel said:
It seems that with almost every band in the world, there is a clearly labelled large group of people who like them, and a large group of people who don't. And this has been accepted for ages.

But the Beatles seems to break this. Apparently, from my experience, admitting to disliking the Beatles is like a social death sentence. Why? I get and respect that the Beatles managed to find some kind of 'timeless' quality market in their music.

And yet it seems people who hate the Beatles are treated as outcasts quite badly because of it. I've asked people why it's so hard for Beatles fans to accept people not liking them, and the response I got was "because those people are obviously ignorant to the history of music".

This utterly fucking baffles me. No other band in the world needs fucking CONTEXT to find them appealing, so why is that the Beatles seem to be this isolated, protected entity when if you don't like them you must be an ignorant beast with no knowledge of music?

It seems they are absolutely immune to the whole 'different strokes for different folks' thing, as if you don't like them, your opinion must mean nothing due to your apparently ignorance.

Personal story time: My dad recently got himself that new-fangled re-release of all the Beatles' stuff in the big box set. My mum went out and he was sat downstairs blasting that shit so loud that I could hear it over my own music upstairs (oddly I was listening to the Rolling Stones at the time, which is another band that seems to sometimes have this 'immune to critique' thing going on) so I went and told him to turn it down...at which point he refuses, because "it's the Beatles. it's better than any shit you listen to, so i aint turning it down".

My dad's normally a nice guy, so him turning into a dick when asked to turn down the Beatles was shocking. I'm not using this to say all Beatles fans are cunts, cause I know they aren't. But it was weird to think people hold that high a view of the band.

Erm...I don't really have any discussion-type questions here...this was mostly just a rant, so I dunno how exactly to round this off...

...erm...I like bacon? I dunno...
Beat you to the punch by a few months, if I learned anything from my similar thread it's that if someone thinks your dumb for not liking the Beatles than fuck them!

Haters gonna hate, just ignore them.

ThatDaveDude1

Feb 7, 2011
Sovereignty said:
But screw the Beatles. Especially the fact that typing "beatles" in Wikipedia directs you to their band page. As opposed to a page about BEATLES.
The name of the insect is spelled "Beetles." The name of the band is a pun.

dkyros

Dec 11, 2008
Personally, I only know a few songs. I do like most of them (yellow submarine sucks IMO), but I don't hate anyone that doesn't like them. I think its like the apple phenomena (Computer company not fruit). People who have discovered it have this stick up their bottoms that everyone else needs to see how great it is and if they don't see it well it must be because of some lack of intelligence. Now this statement only applies to those people that feel that the Beetles must be liked or that Macs must be used.
As for your Dad and older people in general, Beetles probably bring him back to a younger, simpler time when he wasn't in the need of nostalgia and Mary Jane was more than just a spider man character to him.

Lilani

Sometimes known as CaitieLou
May 27, 2009
Because they're not very unlikable. They never did anything bad and they weren't douchebags. They just made really groundbreaking music and were outrageously popular. Their music and them as people are so well-liked that not liking them makes others think you're the unlikable one.

Harbinger_

Jan 8, 2009
ReservoirAngel said:
It seems that with almost every band in the world, there is a clearly labelled large group of people who like them, and a large group of people who don't. And this has been accepted for ages.

But the Beatles seems to break this. Apparently, from my experience, admitting to disliking the Beatles is like a social death sentence. Why? I get and respect that the Beatles managed to find some kind of 'timeless' quality market in their music.

And yet it seems people who hate the Beatles are treated as outcasts quite badly because of it. I've asked people why it's so hard for Beatles fans to accept people not liking them, and the response I got was "because those people are obviously ignorant to the history of music".

This utterly fucking baffles me. No other band in the world needs fucking CONTEXT to find them appealing, so why is that the Beatles seem to be this isolated, protected entity when if you don't like them you must be an ignorant beast with no knowledge of music?

It seems they are absolutely immune to the whole 'different strokes for different folks' thing, as if you don't like them, your opinion must mean nothing due to your apparently ignorance.

Personal story time: My dad recently got himself that new-fangled re-release of all the Beatles' stuff in the big box set. My mum went out and he was sat downstairs blasting that shit so loud that I could hear it over my own music upstairs (oddly I was listening to the Rolling Stones at the time, which is another band that seems to sometimes have this 'immune to critique' thing going on) so I went and told him to turn it down...at which point he refuses, because "it's the Beatles. it's better than any shit you listen to, so i aint turning it down".

My dad's normally a nice guy, so him turning into a dick when asked to turn down the Beatles was shocking. I'm not using this to say all Beatles fans are cunts, cause I know they aren't. But it was weird to think people hold that high a view of the band.

Erm...I don't really have any discussion-type questions here...this was mostly just a rant, so I dunno how exactly to round this off...

Fans tend to enjoy pushing what they like on other people without caring about the opinions of others. I was in my LGS and mentioned I didn't like the beatles when a few fellow gamers and the owner were around and he proceeded to crank up the volume as loud as he could. I can respect that they were a band that 'opened many doors and changed the industry' but that doesn't mean that I have to enjoy their music because of that. So I agree with you and also.... I like bacon too :)

MorganL4

Person
May 1, 2008
Sovereignty said:
The Beatles music is crap. It was supposedly something amazing, simply because it was the first "pop-rock" band that caught on mainstream. They weren't revolutionary, their music isn't relevant or conveying of a message. It's simply the N*Sync of the 60's-70's.

Want to know the real secret to their "success" and "fame" now?

Michael Jackson owned all the rights to their songs. So their music wasn't overplayed and over-exposed in commercials and the like. He did it as a means to choke out the competition. And it worked. Now that he's dead and the locked up rights are free. Guess what? Everyone is back on the bandwagon.

The reason it grabs so much hate is the same reason, you're likely to get shanked for saying Tupac's rapping was garbage. It's the fan base. These aren't educated, well-rounded individuals who are capable of accepting music is all about opinion. These are people who flock on bandwagons and assume because they find it catchy, it's the only reason music still exists.

But screw the Beatles. Especially the fact that typing "beatles" in Wikipedia directs you to their band page. As opposed to a page about BEATLES. That was where I stopped saying, "I don't like the Beatles" and jumped on the "The Beatles = N*sync circa 1960" ship.

Disclaimer: I realize not every fan is like what I listed above. But most of them are, and I'm basing my opinions on that.
First off dude you are dead wrong ( not the part about Micheal buying a lot of the Beatles catalog that's true, though he did it because it made good business sense, not to cement his place in history, the two never really competed) but the Beatles did revolutionize edit - culture, people did not change the way they wore their hair or the clothing they wore because of Lance Bass......

And I don't think you could even find I want you back on the radio right now.

second...... take a chill pill just because you don't like a band doesn't mean you have to attack them..... I don't like 50 cent but I don't rant and rave about him.

BioHazardMan

Sep 22, 2009
I have no problem with people who dislike The Beatles (though they are in my top 3) if they have a reason. If it's just to be cool (god damn hipsters) then it is stupid to not like them.

EDIT: And to the guy ignorantly raging about some Michael Jackson/ Beatles conspiracy, The BEATLES are a band, BEETLES are an insect, there is a spelling difference. Which is why Wikipedia redirects you to The BEATles page, not BEETles.

captaincabbage

Apr 8, 2010
I'm only gonna say this once, there is nothing wrong with disliking The Beatles.

I will take issue with people like tat when they also don't acknowledge the impact that The Beatles had on pop culture, music and the world in general.

MrShadowzs

Apr 5, 2009
i really don't care what you like and what you don't, but mostly the Beatles are the musical equivalent of The Godfather, love it or hate it, it made a huge social impact and influenced alot of people, almost every band after them love them and were influenced by them, basically they helped create half the bands ever.

Red Right Hand

Squatter
Feb 23, 2009
Because in my experience most of the people who say they dislike The Beatles only do it because they think it makes them sound controversial and cool. Those who do do it for that reason are sadly mistaken.

I do also realise that there are people who genuinely dislike The Beatles music because it isn't their sort of thing which I totally understand.

Joe Myers

Classiest Kid
Oct 25, 2010
I'm gonna go with BioHazardMan on one point: a lot of times, at least in my experience, when people say they don't like the Beatles, it's simply to get a rise out of ? well, everyone. Saying you don't like the Beatles is practically asking for everyone in the room/coffee shop/delivery room to Hulk out and scream in your face while you soak it in like a warm sunbeam. People have been doing it for so long, or at least have been doing it so often in light of the hipster trend, that anymore it seems like if someone says they don't like the Beatles, they get lumped in with that group (for better or worse).

I personally don't mind if someone doesn't like the Beatles. It's only when someone tries to intentionally get a rise out of me or someone else that it becomes irritating.

That's just me, though.

Sovereignty

Jan 25, 2010
ThatDaveDude1 said:
Sovereignty said:
But screw the Beatles. Especially the fact that typing "beatles" in Wikipedia directs you to their band page. As opposed to a page about BEATLES.

It should regardless lead to a disambiguation page. If Google recognizes I may have misspelled something, so too should Wikipedia.

iLikeHippos

Jan 19, 2010
How on this vast, explored world could you NOT like the Beatles?
It's like not liking chocolate or icecream or anything else that is extremely good.
Not to mention they are all revolutionizing.

I am sorry I can't get into your mindset, but hey, cut your dad some slack. He's obviously reminiscing about the old days, when things "weren't as shitty".
And, if you truly want to show him he's in the wrong, find something better to play before him and see if he gets impressed.
... Or can you? o_O o_O

As for this 'social outcast' thing is... Well, what you can't change or understand is mostly treated by scorn and rejection. Look at the politicians.

zehydra

Oct 25, 2009
Sovereignty said:
ThatDaveDude1 said:
Sovereignty said:

It should regardless lead to a disambiguation page. If Google recognizes I may have misspelled something, so too should Wikipedia.
They are two entirely separate entities that act and behave differently.

Sovereignty

Jan 25, 2010
MorganL4 said:
First off dude you are dead wrong ( not the part about Micheal buying a lot of the Beatles catalog that's true, though he did it because it made good business sense, not to cement his place in history, the two never really competed) but the Beatles did revolutionize edit - culture, people did not change the way they wore their hair or the clothing they wore because of Lance Bass......

And I don't think you could even find I want you back on the radio right now.

second...... take a chill pill just because you don't like a band doesn't mean you have to attack them..... I don't like 50 cent but I don't rant and rave about him.

This was exactly what I was pointing out. It's merely an irrational belief that something the massive hordes of fans of The Beatles (Or Elvis, Tupac, Twilight) enjoy is infallible. That somehow their music isn't as revolutionary or amazing as they believe it to be.

I mean don't get me wrong here. I get when someone insults something I enjoy, the need to defend it. But the extent to which these pop fans take it, especially of a band that is well beyond it's time simply confuses me.

The only thing that impresses me about the band is the fact that still to this day there are die-hard fans who will defend their songs as if they were some sort of messianic messages.

But even that only impresses me, because it means that in 50 years we could still have some twi-tards running around proclaiming how those films were the pillars of revolution in the film and literary industries.

Nigh Invulnerable

Jan 5, 2009
ReservoirAngel said:

I hear you. I appreciate the influence the Beatles had, but I really couldn't care less about the music. Sure, I know the words to more Beatles tunes than I probably think, but that's mostly due to the sheer exposure of the band, not because I've ever made an effort to seek them out.

Also, next time a Beatles fan knocks someone for disliking the band, ask if they like Metallica or Black Sabbath. Both bands were essentially the Beatles for metal in two different decades and yet I'm sure your "open minded" Beatles fan will tell you they're rubbish. Different strokes I guess.

Varitel

Jan 22, 2011
It is hard to get away with hating the Beatles because they are so beloved by so many people in a wide range of age groups. Also, because their sound varied so much between the early years and the later years, it's often hard to believe that someone simply "hates the Beatles" as much as they may hate a few songs that they did. I am a Beatles fan, and even I can't stand some of the stuff they put out. However, if someone does actually hate the Beatles, I could really care less, because you can't convince someone to like something they hate.