Why is it so hard to get away with hating the Beatles?

lowkey_jotunn

Feb 23, 2011
The problem is that people confuse "I don't like the Beatles" with "The Beatles were bad."

Your opinion is 100% your own and valid (no matter how wrong it might be :p)

But the Beatles are like Thomas Edison, Chuck Berry, and whoever invented the PB&J sammich. Even if you hate light bulbs, rock and roll music, or PB&J, you can not deny the impact those people had. Likewise, the Beatles forever changed the face of popular music. It's just a shame that their style (attractive 20-somethings, all "front men") has been watered down into the current crop of talentless boy bands

Or, as Steve Hughes puts it: Corporate shills, posing as musicians, to further a modeling career; and frankly, I'm disgusted

Chefodeath

Dec 31, 2009
For most music, ya, it can be boiled down to an opinion thing. I however believe that there can be some standard of objective beauty in music, music that has a measure of genius to it. Music that saying "I don't like this, therefore its not good." makes you look about as retarded as if you said "The pythagorean theorum is stupid. Derp derp."

This title is reserved mostly for classical music, music which is genius to the point where if you don't like it, its because you're too ignorant to properly appreciate whats there. The Beatles aren't quite there to the same extent as Bach or Beethoven, but I still believe they somewhat qualify. If Beethoven's 9th symphony is a masterpiece of literature, "Help" or "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds" is a timeless little limerick or haiku.

So yes, you're allowed to dislike the Beatles, but you're wrong in thinking its bad music.

Zap Rowsdower

Jun 24, 2010
Nearing9 said:
I'm not sure why people are hatin' on those that hate. I think the Beatles contributed a lot to music but they're not my favorite thing to listen to either.

EDIT: It's weird how people cite them as being pioneers of rock while most of them don't know who Chuck Berry and Fats Domino are (aka the original pioneers of the genre).
Chuck Berry is the feces.

Haydyn

Mar 27, 2009
I use to hate them, but there are some Beatles songs I like. My problem is that The Beatles are so overwhelmingly adored yet better bands imo like Led Zeppelin get ignored.

Lilani

Sometimes known as CaitieLou
May 27, 2009
zombiesinc said:
Saying you dislike The Beatles to get a reaction is different, but there's absolutely nothing wrong with disliking a certain band or genre.
I know that. The question at hand is "Why is it so hard to get away with hating the Beatles?" It's because they aren't hated by many people--it's unusual. It's like hating Taylor Swift. You can't say you hate Taylor Swift too loudly because everyone around you will suddenly break loose and say "Wait, what?! You hate Taylor Swift? How could you hate her, you jerk! What did she ever do to you?! She's awesome!"

BonsaiK

Music Industry Corporate Whore
Nov 14, 2007
ReservoirAngel said:
It seems that with almost every band in the world, there is a clearly labelled large group of people who like them, and a large group of people who don't. And this has been accepted for ages.

But the Beatles seems to break this. Apparently, from my experience, admitting to disliking the Beatles is like a social death sentence. Why? I get and respect that the Beatles managed to find some kind of 'timeless' quality market in their music.

And yet it seems people who hate the Beatles are treated as outcasts quite badly because of it. I've asked people why it's so hard for Beatles fans to accept people not liking them, and the response I got was "because those people are obviously ignorant to the history of music".

This utterly fucking baffles me. No other band in the world needs fucking CONTEXT to find them appealing, so why is that the Beatles seem to be this isolated, protected entity when if you don't like them you must be an ignorant beast with no knowledge of music?

It seems they are absolutely immune to the whole 'different strokes for different folks' thing, as if you don't like them, your opinion must mean nothing due to your apparently ignorance.

Personal story time: My dad recently got himself that new-fangled re-release of all the Beatles' stuff in the big box set. My mum went out and he was sat downstairs blasting that shit so loud that I could hear it over my own music upstairs (oddly I was listening to the Rolling Stones at the time, which is another band that seems to sometimes have this 'immune to critique' thing going on) so I went and told him to turn it down...at which point he refuses, because "it's the Beatles. it's better than any shit you listen to, so i aint turning it down".

My dad's normally a nice guy, so him turning into a dick when asked to turn down the Beatles was shocking. I'm not using this to say all Beatles fans are cunts, cause I know they aren't. But it was weird to think people hold that high a view of the band.

Erm...I don't really have any discussion-type questions here...this was mostly just a rant, so I dunno how exactly to round this off...

...erm...I like bacon? I dunno...
Firstly, you don't need to add token discussion value to an OP that already has plenty of discussion value inherent in its question. Please spread the word to other forum users that this is not necessary. Sure, people asking stupid *****-ass questions do need to add discussion value, but your question is quite valid and there's a lot here that can be discussed already.

Now brace yourself, because the actual answer to your question follows, and it's long.

Nobody got it quite on the button. A few people did get it partially right though. The guy with the Phd got it right about the baby boomers, that's part of it, a certain mass of fans in one age group is going to certainly have more commercial weight and thus give something a higher commercial profile, but that doesn't explain why people chose The Beatles as the group to be deified as opposed to anything else, and it doesn't explain why they received both popular and critical acclaim (many pop bands tend to just get one, or just get the other). The self-contained group thing was new at the time, but The Beatles weren't the only ones doing that. The quality of albums is obviously subjective so that's not it (I personally am not into The Beatles, I find their music frankly boring. I probably would have liked it if I was young when they came out but listening to it now I think their music has aged badly, musically and especially lyrically.) The "they revolutionised music" is about as warm as people got but that's a very vague statement, after all everybody probably thinks that their favourite group "revolutionised music" in some key way, don't they.

Brace yourself because this next bit might get a bit technical, but if you don't understand it that's okay, just keep reading because it will all eventually make sense either way.

What the Beatles did that nobody else did quite as well, or as brazenly, was they made catchy pop music that broke the acceptable harmonic structural rules for pop/rock music in their day. The slow songs in pop had a bit more variation, but upbeat songs done by musical groups that young people were interested in generally fit one or two distinct "flavours", the 12-bar flavour which is generally I-IV-I-V-IV-I like "Rock Around The Clock", the doo-wop style I-vi-IV-V like "Earth Angel", and the classical and jazz influenced boring circle-of-fifths ii-V-I and variations thereof, straight out of the theory textbook about harmonic progression. So as you can imagine, pop music was all sounding very similar - complaints from parents of the day that "this shit sounds all the same" actually had a grain of truth in them back then - more than such complaints nihilistic Internet forum douchebags have about current popular music now. Bands like The Beach Boys were slowly nudging things in a more experimental direction and they did mess around with things like V-II in "Little Deuce Coupe" but it was The Beatles who ripped apart the whole formula, tore it up and then pissed on it - and then wrote a catchy pop song that teenage girls really liked with the remains.

The first song released by The Beatles was "Love Me Do" but their first huge hit was another track called "Please Please Me".

The verse is a pretty straightforward I-IV-I, but then the chorus goes IV-ii-vi-IV-I-IV-V-I. Nobody was doing anything remotely like that in upbeat pop music in that day and age. Then there's a middle bit which is pretty standard IV-V-I but then at the ending it's all fucking IV-V-I-bIII-ii-V7-I... wait a sec what is a goddamn bIII doing in a major key pop song? YOU CAN'T DO THAT!

Another very early Beatles song. That's a standard 12-bar blues I-IV-I-V-IV-I (with 7ths) in the verse, but then in the chorus it's III7-vi-ii-iii-I. The fuck? Those last two chords alone are a completely verboten harmonic movement, let along the fact that there's iii and III7 both hanging out together in the same chorus without even a fucking prepared modulation. No question about it, for its day this was different music.

Your average teenage girl or boy didn't understand all this harmonic rulebook crap, of course (and neither will most people reading this). However, it certainly did register subconsciously - they might not have known the whys and wheres, but they knew if nothing else, they were listening to a very new, unique sound. The beats were more or less the same, the instruments were the same, but something was different, and back in the days when everyone else was going I-IV-I-V-IV-I this was a huge breath of fresh air, to have a band that genuinely did sound different to everything else, yet similar enough to be enjoyed, that still had sweet melodies you could sing along to, a rock beat, loud (for their day) guitars, a cool image (boy did their haircuts make a fuss even back in the day when they all wore bowl cuts, they couldn't be interviewed without umpteem questions about their hair), were cute guys so girls liked them, were good at talking to the press, and they had that awesome high almost-screaming thing they did every now and then which was intense yet still melodic. With lots of bored young louty directionless baby-boomers milling around being bored on a weekend looking for something to do, this stuff really captured people's imaginations. Hence, in 1962, if you didn't like The Beatles, you were nobody. Imagine sitting down to listen to the weekly pop chart on the radio (TV pop charts hadn't been invented yet, not enough bands had music videos) and finding out that nine out of the top ten singles were by Justin Bieber. People would probably nearly die of shock, then they'd probably start half a dozen whiny threads in this forum all with the same topic, presuming that somebody cared. That chart situation actually happened with The Beatles, that's how much people were into them. This was indeed a music "revolution" in a literal sense because they overthrew the old guard of 50s rock and doo-wop, that stuff was gradually forgotten about once The Beatles hit their stride. 50s rock was "old person music" by about 1965, and all the people still into that 50s stuff were whining about "this new screaming crap made by guys with funny haircuts that go over their eyes" - sound familiar?

Later on The Rolling Stones, The Monkees and countless other "Mersey Beat" bands appeared, and fucked around even more with the scraps of the harmonic rulebook that The Beatles had already peed on and threw in the furnace, but for a short while there were only two types of bands - The Beatles, and other music that was not The Beatles. The Beatles "beat" everyone to the charge, and for that, they get the "revolutionary" tag.

Having said that, I fucking hate The Beatles, mainly just from overexposure and being told they were "the greatest thing ever" when growing up, but also other reasons which I won't go into because it's not really on-topic - suffice to say that it's just my personal taste. There's only one rule for music really: if it sounds good to you, it's awesome, if it doesn't, then it's not. Everyone likes different shit so just tell your Dad that just because something was "important" once doesn't mean it's now not past its use-by date, like a carton of highly nutritious milk that has been left out on the bench too long.

(damn, last post on the page, hopefully someone actually reads this besides the OP, heh)

Gxas

Sep 4, 2008
Matt_LRR said:
considering the extent to which the beatles changed and affected the landscape of music, you probably owe the existence of much, if not all, of the music you listen to what they did.

To not, at least, understand and appreciate this puts you in a position of being largely oblivious to how the music you listen to came to exist.

No one would argue you have to listen to the beatles, or obsess over them, but they are most definitely a band that shouldn't be written off with a "the beatles sucked".

They had an industry shaking influence that is still felt today.

-m
What if I were to tell you that I respect what they did for the genre, yet still hate every single song that they put out; I cannot stand listening to them at all?

See, I feel exactly this way. I don't like listening to them, ever. But, I do respect everything they did to change the genre of "rock".

My whole deal is that people attack me, verbally abuse me, because I don't like listening to their music. I am very tolerant of other people's opinions on everything from music to religion to just basic likes and dislikes, yet, the same people I'm tolerant of in this way attack me for not liking this one band. I don't get it. I don't get it at all. And it pisses me off to no end.

NOTE: When I say verbally abuse, I mean pull no punches. I seriously feel depressed after they are finished attacking me and have almost stopped bringing this argument up anymore.

xHipaboo420x

Apr 22, 2009
I thought that disliking the Beatles was the cool thing nowadays?

At the end of the day we're all going to die so let's just enjoy the trip.

UberMore

Sep 7, 2008
When they first came out, they were the shit. They changed it all, moved the UK music scene somewhere crazy and new and rebellious, changing everything ever done ever.

Or something along those lines.

When they were first released, they made some big waves, so I guess people assume that by saying you don't like the Beatles, you don't appreciate what they did (?) and you hate music in general. It's also out of some sense of Pride or because there is a global feeling they should be celebrated.

Chefodeath

Dec 31, 2009
BonsaiK said:
God damn that was an informative post. Still, I disagree with your general assessment that the Beatles basically just completely fucked with traditional harmony and are remembered just because they were something new and unexpected. More than just random harmonies, they managed to make random harmonies WORK, like you said. This is what gives them staying power, more than just their historical prevelance, that there is a cleverness to their music very able to catch and captivate ears.

I am adament in holding that there is more to music than just personal preference, that if I were to study some music purely in abstract mathematical terms, with harmonies as frequencies and rhythms as ratios, I could find a pattern that is beautiful even if I never listened to the damn piece. This abstract beauty, beauty beyond your or my personal tastes, is what makes a piece a living classic.

BonsaiK

Nov 14, 2007
Chefodeath said:
God damn that was an informative post. Still, I disagree with your general assessment that the Beatles basically just completely fucked with traditional harmony and are remembered just because they were something new and unexpected. More than just random harmonies, they managed to make random harmonies WORK, like you said. This is what gives them staying power, more than just their historical prevelance, that there is a cleverness to their music very able to catch and captivate ears.
Well yeah, I wasn't trying to imply that their choices were "random". There's obviously a system to it, it's just not the system everyone else was using at that time in popular music.

As for objectivity of music in regard to mathematics, that's a very deep discussion and I don't have the time to do another epic post like the last one I just did, so forgive me if I just give you a quick response of "music is 100% subjective and I'm qualified to tell you this because I did in fact study it".

Chefodeath

Dec 31, 2009
BonsaiK said:
Chefodeath said:
Well yeah, I wasn't trying to imply that their choices were "random". There's obviously a system to it, it's just not the system everyone else was using.
Hmm, you almost seem to imply that the system was preexisting. Would you say the Beatles had any distinct influences for their use of harmony? It's my understanding that whatever pop music does as far as theory goes, its typically ground thats been broken by "serious" music before it.

Edit: And as for objectivity/subjectivity in music, I hope I can get that long post sometime. I'll pose the question on your "ask a music insider" thread.

I'm unwilling to buy the 100% subjective argument just on the basis that you've studied it in depth, not when everything I've studied about music suggests at least basic trends of what is considered beautiful, what is dissonant.

The Pythagorean ratios? The rhythmic figures in Bach's music? You've got your work cut out for you if you want to say that's all completely subjective.

Gxas

Sep 4, 2008
Daveman said:
Well I think if you flat out "dislike" the Beatles then you probably haven't listened to it all. There's a lot of almost progressive stuff later on and the classic rock and roll tuneage of their earlier material, they're just one of those bands that push all the buttons. Kind of like a cross between Take That and Radiohead. That said I hate both those bands. But together they make this freakish hybrid that is just epicly intelligent and catchy.

I'm also not gonna say they're the best band ever because personally I still listen to more Tenacious D than the Beatles. But I do think the whole "I hate the Beatles" attitude is a bit silly and I couldn't comprehend how you could feel that way after listening to all their material.
I dislike the Beatles. I don't think this, I know this to be a fact. The Beatles song that comes closest to me liking it is Octopuses Garden and even then I can only barely, barely tolerate it.

I've listened to every single Beatles song. I was forced to sit and listen while the entire rest of my family sang along to the complete discography. I don't know more than a few lines from a few of their most popular songs. I just don't like them. Not one bit.

The problem is, most people, you included, think that there has to be one song that people love by the Beatles. Everyone has their "one Beatles song" no matter what they think of the band. That is completely wrong and that gets on my nerves so much. The constant "There has to be one song! You can't just not like them! They're the Beatles!!" aggravates me so much.

I believe that I quoted you, merely to point out that you're wrong in your assumption that someone who doesn't like them hasn't heard everything. Well, I have, and I still despise this band.

BonsaiK

Nov 14, 2007
Chefodeath said:
BonsaiK said:
Chefodeath said:
Well yeah, I wasn't trying to imply that their choices were "random". There's obviously a system to it, it's just not the system everyone else was using.
Hmm, you almost seem to imply that the system was preexisting. Would you say the Beatles had any distinct influences for their use of harmony? It's my understanding that whatever pop music does as far as theory goes, its typically ground thats been broken by "serious" music before it.
Correct. The Beatles didn't do any changes and modulations that Wagner or Stravinsky wouldn't have done. The difference is that they did it in the context of ultra-bubblegum pop music.

MisterGobbles

Nov 30, 2009
The Beatles are something I enjoy listening to, but I don't often sit down and go "You know, I'd really like to listen to the Beatles right now"...more often than not I hear the music in another context or something, and find it good.

So the Beatles are something to be respected without question, because of the positive influence they had on all popular music, but whether or not you actually enjoy listening to them is another story.

Another example is Meshuggah. You don't have to like the things that they do or put out, or actively listen to it, but you should at least acknowledge and respect the things they did for and the influence they had on their chosen style of music.

A lot of bands have that "unquestionable importance" status. Nothing has to be to your tastes, but a lot of things just demand to be respected. A lot of people seem to only claim to hate the Beatles to get a rise out of people, or because they are insanely popular, but the people who honestly respect the things they did for music and still can't stand them, then that's perfectly fine.

Astoria

Oct 25, 2010
Really? Well I guess I wouldn't know because I don't know one person who's a fan of The Beatles believe it or not.