why is Origin= Bad...Steam =Good?

demotion1

Mar 22, 2011
CulixCupric said:
aPod said:
It has to do with the intrusive and draconian monitoring schemes of Origin.

Least that's what i've heard through the grapevine.
In D&D ALignment Terms: Steam/Valve is a benefactor (Neutral Good), and Origin/EA is a Tyrant (Lawful Evil)

They are actually both Lawful Evil imo.

Vegosiux

May 18, 2011
psicat said:
Because too many PC gamers are Valve fanboys that will bend over and take anything from their digital distribution service while just smiling and asking for more Half-Life.
Yes. That's totally it. How in blue blazes did nobody else figure it out?

*ahem* Actually, no wait. That's totally not it. The difference between Valve and EA is that Valve understand that they are the ones offering the service, so they are the ones who need to keep up with us (and their customer service is awesome provided you haven't FUBAR'd yourself); while EA thinks it's the other way around, that we are there to serve them and that we should adapt to them.

So I'm not buying any EA games in the near future. Am I going to pirate any EA games in the near future? Hell no. I'm going to ignore all EA games in the near future.

Dandark

Sep 2, 2011
Oh look it's this again.

Steam = good but Origin = bad. Why you ask?
Besides all the way's steam is better and the fact Origin sells things at retail price, Valve are not hated by most of their fanbase.

It's great for steam to have competition but I would rather it not be EA. Steam doesn't feel forced. Sure you need to get it just like you need Origin for certain games but it doesn't feel forced, it's more like something that comes with it.
With Steam I can browse ALL my PC games since they are all stored in one place, this place also regularly gives me brilliant sales because it loathes the idea of me having money.

Enter EA. To finish the series of mass effect you now have to download another program and sign up for it. Now never mind how bad the EULA for Origin was, the fact is everybody made a big deal about how intrusive it was, I think the German goverment even branded it Spyware. It's also inferior to the current program ou have(Steam).

If you had the option you would prefer to get Mass effect 3 or Battlefield on Steam right? Most people would, Origin feels forced on you by EA in an attempt to cash in on the market Steam currently has a monopoly in. That isn't actully a bad thing but it's EA.

Im finding it hard to explain. It's pretty much that most people hate EA, or have heard of the hatred of EA because they have such a bad reputation. EAs bad reputation combined with all the fuss about it being spyware instantly gives it a bad reputation, you download it anyway because you need it for certain games and then it is inferior to Steam and has bad pricing.
Then you hear about the ability it has to ban you from playing all of the EA games you own and suddenly it's as if this inferior program you felt forced to download which supposedly spies on you may now steal your games away from you.
It's also entirely believeable because EA would do that kind of thing.

Then you have Steam which works better, has more games, has better pricing and is generally respected and held up as a shining example of how to do it. It's also made by Valve, a famous and popular company which most gamers can do nothing but say good things about.

And that is why most people usaully feel Steam=Good and Origin=Bad.

CulixCupric

Oct 20, 2011
demotion1 said:
CulixCupric said:
aPod said:
It has to do with the intrusive and draconian monitoring schemes of Origin.

Least that's what i've heard through the grapevine.
In D&D ALignment Terms: Steam/Valve is a benefactor (Neutral Good), and Origin/EA is a Tyrant (Lawful Evil)

They are actually both Lawful Evil imo.
eh, It's all perspective, so it could be either scenario.

TitanAtlas

Oct 14, 2010
I would say that in the very first year (that is not yet finished) of Origin appearing, it has already screwed more players and fans, then stem could ever screw in 5 years.

Steam is user-friendly, it's a community and a family, and it comes from a company i trust, that has been at my side, from what i can remember.

Origin, is a wannabe. It copies everything Steam has, it doesn't bring anything new to the table. The sole purpose of it is to try to match against online huds like steam, not to reach the players directly, but with the aim, of putting more money in EA's pocket. Each time i opened Origin, even i could see that there was a reason behind it.

EA from a long time has screwed players, for more profit. In a reference one could say, that the EA corporative would sell theyr own mothers, for money. That kind of fame they have been receiving (by theyr own hands) has tainted every and single product they make. They have copied other games, stolen, screwed, terminated whole companies, and were always unfaithfull to the fans (wich by now, i bet there aren't many).

Origin is a bad engine. It's a copy. And a bad copy if i may say so. The worst part is that it comes from EA. That project was bound to fail even before they wrote the "idea" on the whiteboard...

Matthew Dunn

Apr 1, 2011
Steam: Established, Easy, Has deals that scare my wallet, Dont make you pay stupid amount of money for 5 year old games.

Origin: Not Established yet, EA makes you pay stupid of money for older games (Mirrors Edge £20 on origin and £5 in the shops :p), Has a bad History behind it.

Dear origin, Shut down and face the turth you will never be as good as steam
Love from everyone :3

MasochisticAvenger

Nov 7, 2011
Honestly, because Steam got here first and has had more time to establish and improve itself. I don't exactly know how Steam was when it first came out, but I highly doubt it was as well-polished as it is now. It's kind of like how a new IP will always lose out in sales to the next iteration of an established franchise; most people will always go towards what is safe and familiar.

Also, it's largely to do with who owns the services. Valve released Half-Life and Portal, and thus became the gold standard for a lot of people especially on the PC. I mean if any other developer took as long to release Half-Life episodes as Valve did, most people would crucify them for it. But Valve gets a pass because they're Valve apparently. You can't really deny that Valve has a level of trust largely unseen in any other game company. Whether or not it's deserved or not, I'm not the person to say. Portal wasn't for me, and I have no desire to try Half-Life because I know I'll dislike it for the exact same reasons I couldn't get into Portal.

Now look at EA. You've got Project Ten Dollar/Online Pass, obvious cheap cash in games, and marketing that quite honestly proves EA doesn't give a damn about the people who actually play games (if I ever meet the guy who thought up the "Your Mum Will Hate This" ad, I will punch him in the face). Also, it doesn't help that EA is forcing players to use Origin even if they bought the game at retail.

So basically, people like Steam and hate Origin because people love Valve and hate EA.

butternut

Jul 14, 2010
The reason why I much prefer steam is because of my history with Valve as a company.

I had steam back in the days where it was mainly just HL2, Portal, TF2 etc. Now I have over 90 games on my steam list due to Valve making great deals and supporting indie developers.
I might even go so far as to say that if I didn't get steam I wouldn't be a PC gamer. Well, probably not to a greater extent that I am now. The point is I've had steam for years and it has never once done me wrong. I trust Steam and Valve.

Now my experience with EA is much different, I do not need to list the many things EA has done to screw over people simply to get more money. It has already been done on this thread by other people. Needless to say, I will not get Origin because I don't support the way their corporation works.

Valve, however, seems less like a corporation and more like a game developer, and one that makes good games for the sake of making good games and then it has to put prices up because it is, unfortunately, a business at the end of the day.

tl:dr

I'm a Valve fanboy and its going to stay that way...

Richard Keohane

Dec 11, 2010
Vault101 said:
so tell me...why is steam so great when origin is so awful?
Sincerity.

Valve built a very trusting, customer-focused DRM. I was easily able to play through all of Portal and Half-Life 2 on my friend's Steam account... from my computer. There is DRM but it's not extreme. Valve cares about customers and to have more effective DRM would hurt the player. EA thinks customers are the enemy. Their DRM has hardcrashed my system before. It terminates programs without user permission. It is released with EA knowing the authentication servers can't handle all the traffic on launch day, and some people simply won't be able to play their games. I've never had those kinds of problems on Steam, and if I did, they were fixed so quickly I didn't have to figure it out for myself. Valve sincerely wants me to have a fun time. EA wants me to give them lots of money or GTFO. Sometimes give me money and then immediately be thrown out.

Simply because I was able to play with my friend's Steam account, I became so impressed with Steam that I set up my own Steam account. I've now spent hundreds of dollars over the years on games for Steam, and never had a major issue. The launcher for every game links straight to a support forum for if I've having trouble and I rarely have to use it. Meanwhile EA has screwed me over so many times I would actively avoid EA games if they didn't buy out Bioware and Westwood Studios, who make games I really want to play.

Feb 28, 2008
psicat said:
Because too many PC gamers are Valve fanboys that will bend over and take anything from their digital distribution service while just smiling and asking for more Half-Life. While any similar wrong doings from the main digital distribution service for EA will just be taken as proof of their 'See EA is evil and shouldn't be trusted' mentality.
True dat. I find Steam just as 'effin annoying a service as any other. "Oh you bought Portal, HOW NOW YOU DOWNLOAD STEAM?#!". No, I don't want to. I bought a physical copy. Now go to hell.

Aircross

Jun 16, 2011
Because it's EA, the people who scout out talented developers just to squeeze as much profit out of them by forcing the developers to publish rushed and unpolished games.

BushMonstar

Jan 25, 2012
I like Steam more than Origin because, simply put, Origin came out too late. Steam's had the time to polish itself, get itself established, and gain a large userbase and practically dominate the market of online distribution. Origin hasn't had enough time to do any of those, and it possibly never will. It came too late, doesn't offer many exclusives compared to Steam (Which has some of the games offered on Origin), and doesn't have as good a design as Steam.

Silas13013

Mar 31, 2011
Mostly because I despise EA. My brief time with Origin was buggy and riddled with time spent trying to contact EA's terrible tech support. Finally I gave up on battlefield 3 and Origin altogether. It may have improved since I last played, but I will take my business elsewhere.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
For me it's this:

By entering into this Agreement, you and EA expressly waive the
right to a trial by jury or to participate in a class action. This agreement is
intended to be interpreted broadly. It covers any and all disputes between
us (?Disputes?), including without limitation:

(a) claims arising out of or relating to any aspect of the relationship
between us, whether based in contract, tort, statute, fraud,
misrepresentation or any other legal theory;

(b) claims that arose before this Agreement or any prior agreement
(including, but not limited to, claims relating to advertising);

(c) claims that are currently the subject of purported class action litigation
in which you are not a member of a certified class; and

(d) claims that may arise after the termination of this Agreement.
The only disputes that are not covered by this Section 17 are the following:

1) a claim to enforce or protect, or concerning the validity of, any of your
or EA?s (or any of EA?s licensors?) intellectual property rights;

2) a claim related to, or arising from, allegations of theft, piracy, or
unauthorized use;

3) In addition, nothing in this Agreement shall prevent either party from
initiating a small claims court action.

With respect to this Section 17, References to "EA," "you," and "us"
include our respective subsidiaries, affiliates, agents, employees,
predecessors in interest, successors, and assigns, as well as all
authorized or unauthorized users or beneficiaries of services or Software
under this or prior agreements between us. This EULA evidences a
transaction in interstate commerce, and thus the Federal Arbitration Act
governs the interpretation and enforcement of this Section 17. This
arbitration provision shall survive termination of this EULA.

Le_Lisra

norwegian cat
Jun 6, 2009
Read Samus coloum.

Oh wait, you can't because you're suspended? Oh well. Anyway, he sums it up. It annoys much more than it serves.

Steam works. Steam is cheap. Steam is convenient. Steam is nice about screwing you over.

JochemHippie

Trippin' balls man.
Jan 9, 2012
Their customer support is just bad.
They monitor their users.
They have a very small game selection.
Little to none price drops.
Ask insane prices for their old games.
Have a marketing scheme very little people actually like.
Don't make any proper games themselves, but use their subsidiary companies for that.

I think that sums up why Origin/EA is plain crap.

Feb 13, 2008
What Dexter111 said [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/jump/9.343821.13807442]

Why is liking a good service equivalent to "wanting to take it from behind" (which is rather homophobic as well), but not liking a bad service being "blinded by fanboyism".

Steam provides a good investment, Origin doesn't: Case closed, I'd have thought.

Rivenart

Feb 1, 2012
Steam is a unification of a service, origin just dilutes that for the sake of existing and absolute control, one area I actually don't agree with control laws with monopolies.
Steam provides a wide range of games including many you may not have heard of thanks to it's accessiblity, Origin is just a demand of only getting games readily available by a big publisher and agreeing to be watched online 24/7.
Maybe Valve have been responsible for similar actions but I've not heard of it, not the the extent of banning people from the entire service (possibly resulting in the loss of a large game collection they paid for and owned and should be allowed to play offline if not on MP forms).
EA have repeatedly proven themselves as greedy businessmen and not entertainment or art providers and it's largely thanks to them we have to thank for shop exclusive preorder deals popularity. Do they even reward you for buying thier game though thier own services? No theres still DLC you won't get unless you go into a shop and buy another copy (see ME3 ridiculousness of taking this to extreme levels via shop, item and version exclusives, it doesn't matter whether it's a weapon, a character or story the princible is the same restricting content that highly likely is on the disc/original download and just needs a code to unlock meaning it was done prior to the game going gold and we are all paying for it just you need to pay more to access it which frankly defeats the point on Digital Distribtion if getting more content in the game means you need to go to so many shops physically.)
Origin is a highly unstable and resource hungry program that doesn't have the dedication steam already provides, on top of that it constantly needs updating and by not doing it you are locked out of the service.
Simalar to control they extert from the use of the service they also control the price, ME2 is now more exspensive then any other way you purchase it from origin and even getting the digital deluxe version doesn't get you the DLC for it's increased price. Steam constantly adjusts it's prices and has massive sales, while EA like most other digital distribution services hide behind the false wall of "it's the same service we provided years ago it doesn't cost us any less so we can't reduce the price." Technology improves, bandwidth becomes better, storage cheaper, and DD doesn't require an entire factory printing multiple phsyical objects or the publisher of theres objects, considering how we are meant to be entering a green age things like this hold that back as people will pick up physical new or preowned items due to being cheaper, good job EA you killed the Earth as well as several decent gaming companies you swallowed.

Even if you completely disagree with me it's still a completely unneeded thing and surely you don't prefer EA getting more money constantly with no sales. And have to see that even at a consistant higher price point doesn't always mean they make more sales, I'll avoid Origin and even if it means avoiding future games due to the restriction on price, preowned games and not purchasing games I may have bought on sale due to a whim but would never pay higher prices for that introduced me to a series I enjoyed, those games sold cheaply can mean much more money in the future.

Not the only reasons I have to hate EA or thier business models but thats enough, if you want to see the future for it see the highly dissected Sims where the same items/textures are sold to people as "new" time and time again and still Sim 2 has more functionality then 3.