Nov 24, 2009
Jailbird408 said:
Zhukov said:
Jailbird408 said:
Zhukov said:
Umm... wait a second...

"Skyward Sword is so awesome!"
"Why do people like Skyrim?"

What exactly do these two things have to do with one another? Because I can't help but get the impression that you're sulky about the fact that people (or at least the people here) are talking about Skyrim instead of Zelda.
You're correct. I am upset that people are talking about Skyrim over Zelda. Having played Skyward Sword, though, I believe that Skyrim would have to be PERFECT to better it to such a degree that it drowns it out. Considering the points I made in the original post, though, it is not perfect, and can't deserve more than SLIGHTLY more PR than Skyward Sword.
Well then... all I can really say is, "Get over it."

Complaining about people discussing a game you don't like over one you do won't change anything and just makes you look like a bit of a fanboy. Admitting you haven't even played Skyrim doesn't help. You're not in any position to pass judgement.

If you want to discuss Skyward Sword this probably isn't the ideal place. For some reason the Escapist forums tend to focus more on RPGs. I'm sure there are loads of Nintendo-centric forums out there with nary a mention of Skyrim, you might want to try one of those.

Oh, and for the record, I found Skyward Sword's writing to be childish at best, it's visuals unremarkable and crippled by the Wii's puny hardware and it's gameplay hobbled by the usual motion control issues. I don't really like Skyrim but I can still see why folks would rather be talking about it.
I AM a fanboy. If you're trying to use that term as an insult it's not working.
I'm not slandering your opinion, but I'm not adopting it either.
And I get the feeling that partaking in this argument isn't getting me any closer to finding out the answer, so I'm bowing out.
people have given you plenty of reasons

him over there

Dec 17, 2011
It's mainly that huge western rpgs like skyrim are slightly niche, plus it got tons of hype because it came out really late in the year so everyone remembered it for game of the year and top tens. Also apparently there is like hours of gameplay so it's pretty much just another aaa title that people bought because it is financially more valuable. You are paying $60 for possibly hundreds of hours instead of 4 to 20 hours. Honestly the one thing I don't understand is why lately I've seen people comparing skyrim and skyward sword as they're totally different games. One of my friends actually tried to convince me that skyward sword was trying to steal skyrims sales by putting sky in the name and confuse bimbo mothers at walmart. So whatever they're both good.

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
and really pushes the Wii's hardware to its limit.
Have you seen this game on a 1080p HDTV? It looks like a jagged mess. If that's pushing the Wii to it's limits, then you have your answer why no one is talking about it. Add to that the picky motion controls and how all the enemies are designed around the motion controls and you just get a game that isn't fun to play nor easy to look at. It's hard to go from something like Uncharted 2 to Skyward Sword.

Hint: Don't ever brag about the graphics on the Wii. The reader will stop reading and start laughing at that sentence.

BloodyThoughts

EPIC PIRATE DANCE PARTY!
Jan 4, 2010
I don't exactly get what your upset about, OP, because the two games you're talking about?

They're two completely different games, in two different Genres. Skyward Sword may be near perfect in it's genre, but that's about it. Same goes for Skyrim, it's considered near perfect in the genre it's in.

They're both getting probably the same amount of praise, and as of recently, people seem to be turning on Skyrim for, whatever reason.

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
OhJohnNo said:
Until Skyward Sword lets me kill small animals by shouting at them, I'll stick to Skyrim.
That's like saying this in the 16 bit era: "Until I can ride a dinosaur in Sonic, I'll stick with Mario."

repeating integers

Mar 17, 2010
Crono1973 said:
OhJohnNo said:
Until Skyward Sword lets me kill small animals by shouting at them, I'll stick to Skyrim.
That's like saying this in the 16 bit era: "Until I can ride a dinosaur in Sonic, I'll stick with Mario."
Sounds like a perfectly valid reason to me.

Jamash

Top Todger
Jun 25, 2008
Considering both Skyrim and Skyward Sword were pretty much the big end of 2011 releases on their respective platforms, the real question that you're struggling to find an acceptable answer to is "Why are PCs, X-Box 360s and PS3s combined more popular than the Nintendo Wii?".

Perhaps if Skyrim was an exclusive to a comparatively unpopular console and Skyward Sword was release on the 3 main platforms, then the tables would be turned, but as it is, it doesn't take a degree in Gameology to see that with two games (even if you ignore the merits and faults of the games), why the game available to 3 times as many users would be appear to be the most popular on multi-platform gaming forums.

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
OhJohnNo said:
Crono1973 said:
OhJohnNo said:
I guess I see Yoshi and shouts as gimmicks that only affect the game their in. I really don't want shouts in any other game an in fact, see them as relabeled magic spells. Nothing special and certainly nothing to refuse to play other games over. Speaking of, does every game need shouts now or is this an exclusive Skyward Sword complaint?

For the record, long before I was on the internet, I rode Yoshi and thought nothing of it. Just another way to control Mario. After the internet, I found out Yoshi was a big deal to everyone...well, not to me he wasn't.

Jinxzy

Jul 2, 2008
You can do almost anything you want in Skyrim, while the zelda games usually focus on a liner progression. The freedom of choses is powerful.

repeating integers

Mar 17, 2010
Crono1973 said:
OhJohnNo said:
Crono1973 said:
OhJohnNo said:
I guess I see Yoshi and shouts as gimmicks that only affect the game their in. I really don't want shouts in any other game an in fact, see them as relabeled magic spells. Nothing special and certainly nothing to refuse to play other games over. Speaking of, does every game need shouts now or is this an exclusive Skyward Sword complaint?

For the record, long before I was on the internet, I rode Yoshi and thought nothing of it. Just another way to control Mario. After the internet, I found Yoshi was a big deal...well, not to me he wasn't.
Alright, I wasn't being entirely serious, that was just the first thing that came to mind when I thought "What makes Skyrim fun?" Truth be told I've never been into Zelda games.

krazykidd

Mar 22, 2008
Because skyward sword is terrible? Seriously, skyrim is a tad bit overrated sure i'll give you that . But skyward sword is getting the amount of attention it deserves , none . Coming from a guy who has played all the other console zelda games ( i said played not liked) akyward sword is nothing special. And the audacity to say skyward sword looks good is laughable . It looks okay at best. Diferent strokes for different folk i guess . But skyward sword didn't do anything to deserve any attention . Thus it gets none .

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
Look man, Skyward Sword was my game of the year. I loved it to death. But even I don't talk about it much here. Why? The Escapist is just never going to have interesting conversation about a Zelda game. There will be remarks about Nintendo doing the same thing over and over, to which the fans (the very few fans here) will say each game brings something different and the main gameplay is still the highlight. The conversation is always the same, even if the OP tries to start it off differently. So I just talk about other things.

And Skyrim was a very good game, even if it feels more than a bit soulless.

If you want to have a conversation about a Zelda game here, then don't come across as whiny. Don't complain that it is being overshadowed by some other game. Put some thought into the discussion and maybe, just maybe it will turn out better.

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
Jailbird408 said:
Now I have not played this particular game yet, but from what I've heard about it, I'm not sure I want to. A sub-standard if not retarded script, bugs and glitches in every corner of the game, a completely broken and lazy PS3 port and gameplay mechanics that have been outclassed by so many games before it add up to a game that doesn't deserve the memetic status it holds.
You're borderline trolling here, if you haven't played it then you cannot make these assumptions. The very fact that this community enjoys the game so much should tell you that maybe your assumptions are misunderstood, and you shouldn't spout them as uninformed fact.

As has been said before, Skyrim offers a vast open world RPG. The main plug and draw of the game is ABSOLUTE FREEDOM! You can go anywhere, do anything, be anyone, You don't even have to follow the main questline.
It is a new game in a series that is revered for providing one of the best Western RPG experiences, and has taken many elements of another really popular open world RPG series (Fallout) to improve on the old formula. Now, it gets some things wrong, and you can't please everyone, but it provides a really solid gameplay experience in a dynamic world.

And as for your points: The script isn't "borderline retarded". Who has said that? There is nothing wrong with it. There are two main plotlines in the game, a civil war and the return of dragons. Each are pulled off believably and interestingly. Sure, it may not have the storytelling experience of Bioshock or Portal, but it's not trying to. The plot serves only as a framing device for everything else going on in the world. Every town, race, NPC, has a story, and you can get involved with all of them. You create your own story and experience.
It is true that some people have found game-breaking bugs, but many of those are hardware issues (it's quite an intensive game, many computers can't handle it) or human error while making/adding/removing mods. Personally I have 75+ hours logged, and had one bad bug corrupting a single save, and one time my companion fell through a set of stairs. That has been it for me.
The PS3 port is a bad problem, but they have made a few fixes to it, I don't know if it is still broken or not.
Finally it's gameplay mechanics are perfectly fine. They are a marked improvement on it's previous installments, especially first person weapon combat. Also, exactly what gameplay elements are outclassed by other games? Because I can't think of any, and that is such a vague criticism it doesn't really count for anything.

May 5, 2010
Because everyone on this forum hates you so much that we all banded together and decided to ignore all of your favorite games in the hopes that you will get bored and leave. It's the most ambitious conspiracy in history, but we really do just hate you that much.

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
WAAH WAAH my favorite franchise is less popular than another franchise!

Lawlhat

Mar 17, 2009
A lot of reasons really, some of which include the fact that Skyrim had a ton of press pre-release, Todd Howard, and an open world filled with stuff to do at every turn.

TBH I preferred Twilight Princess to Skyward Sword.

orangeban

Nov 27, 2009
Well, I like the combat, and the levelling system, and the open world, and the setting, and OMG DRAGONS <3 DRAGONS!!!! *deep breath*, and while the writing is less than stellar, some of the quests and dungeons are pretty cool.

If you don't like a game, it's unlikely that you'll ever really understand why others like it. I know I don't understand why people like spicy food or musicals. Accept that and life makes a lot more sense. Also, don't judge before you try.

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
Because it's good. Also because it's fun. Also because it's completely and utterly unique.

Play it instead of making stupid assumptions based on the opinions of a vocal minority that for the most part, hates on the game because it's popular.

edit: Oh and to what initially sparked your question, because not everyone owns a Wii