Why is Skyrim popular?

RedPulse

Jan 10, 2012
I played Skyward Sword and Skyrim, i am a fan of both, Zelda & the elder scrolls. But you just cannot compare them..

But here you are forcing people to compare them. Let me just put it this way: The gameplay in Skyrim is way deeper, longer and it stays fun. Maybe not as fun as the good old Zelda fun. but still.. Play it for yourself ;)

someonehairy-ish

Mar 15, 2009
Are you trolling?

Or just a particularly whiny fanboy?

Skyrim has a vast amount of content and the modability of it means that it essentially has infinte content, all of which you can play through using whatever style you prefer, the many stories are all pretty good, the world has a vast amount of characters...
Yes, there are bugs. Yes, the port was a bit of mess, but the mod community has probably sorted that out already. It doesn't matter.

TL;DR - People talk about Skyrim more because Skyrim is better.

Kadoodle

Nov 2, 2010
It's open world, provides hundreds upon hundreds of hours of gameplay, it's setting draws from viking and middle-earthian styles, there is a ton of room for customization so that you can play any style you want, the combat is fun (the finishing moves are awesome and satisfying), there's a shitload of lore, and you fight dragons.

It's everything I've ever wanted in a RPG. They nailed every fucking thing.

Zelda is great, but it doesn't compare, in my opinion.

chadachada123

Jan 17, 2011
Hero in a half shell said:
As has been said before, Skyrim offers a vast open world RPG. The main plug and draw of the game is ABSOLUTE FREEDOM! You can go anywhere, do anything, be anyone, You don't even have to follow the main questline.
Everything except kill children, of course.

Ebulliant-Hater

Oct 6, 2010
Well, I've had the privlage to play both games. To say Skyword sword is pushing the Wii's hardware really isin't saying much (Especially for the Wii) and it hasen't thrown me with the motion control's half a second response time, as with any Wii game. As far as story, it's not as good as previous Zelda titles and not nearly as appealing... (Twilight Princess was far more engaging)

As for Skyrim, THAT really pushes the hardware of whatever it's on. WAY better than Skyword sword does, so if that's a point you're gunnin' for it's entirly wasted. As far as story, it's not the best in the world, but neither is Skyword sword. In fact, it has a level of complexity that deepens the more you play the game, in directions apart from the main story line. It's much more interesting, especially since this leads to the big obvious point that makes Skyrim better... (Don't even get me started on the gameplay)

Freedom. An Expansive world where you are free to do what you like, and will engage is some of the coolest quests and battles you'll play this year. Zelda is entirly linear and never deviates. Good game, but doesn't come close to Skyrim, or other Zelda games for that matter.

This whole thread to me sounds like a Zelda fan-boy wishing more people were talking bout Skyword sword because his parents won't buy him TWO expensive games. I recommend you grovel and hope for the best.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
Jailbird408 said:
I love Skyward Sword. (It may seem weird that the first paragraph of a thread has no apparent connection with its title, but bear with me.) It's beautiful, well-written and solid, and really pushes the Wii's hardware to its limit. It is a game that everyone deserves to get, and a game that would turn any graphics junkie or motion-control naysayers into followers of the Nintendo way.
See this is your opinion. Other people have different opinions. It is how life works.
My opinion of Skyward Sword is that it is fun and I like how they went away from Ganon but I still like Windwaker waaay more. I honestly think WW is a better looking game too.
For many people, open world games in a fantasy setting where you can do pretty much whatever you want are the most fun type of game. Skyrim is possibly the best game in that genre. PS3 issues aside, it's actually really not that buggy. I've only fought an invisible dragon (which was actually funny and a good challenge) and had it crash once (but that was after a 6 hour playing session).
The other reason (and this one saddens me) is that most gamers on forums are hardcore gamers. Many of them view the Wii as a casual system that they wouldn't enjoy so they will never actually see the appeal of any Nintendo game. It's a sad, unreasonable truth but there you go. I personally enjoy many of Nintendo's games and am happy to own a Wii.

Racecarlock

Jul 10, 2010
I had never played an elder scrolls game in my life until about 9:40 last night. I played until 2:40 AM. I fought 2 dragons, had to roast some wolves along the way, went through two dungeon adventures, and encountered lots of other life forms and other stories playing out along the way. For 5 hours I was a high elf with dragon family blood. That's why people like skyrim. It's a big open interactive world that they play a major role in but still feel small in, where they can choose any path they desire, and can even catch fish from a river and then eat the meat. They can shout words of power and adventure through huge dungeons and yes, even fight dragons. Hell, I got all of this from playing for only 5 hours. I can't wait to experience whatever I'll experience today.

ChaosEternal

Feb 4, 2011
Frozen Donkey Wheel2 said:
Because everyone on this forum hates you so much that we all banded together and decided to ignore all of your favorite games in the hopes that you will get bored and leave. It's the most ambitious conspiracy in history, but we really do just hate you that much.
Wait, were we supposed to tell him about the plan?

On topic, I'd say it is because Skyrim:
1. Had a massive advertising campaign
2. Is moddable on PC
3. Is a multi-console release
4. Is a Non-Linear Open World game
5. Is buggy
6. Is full of extra content to pursue
7. Because of 2, 4, 5, and 6 there is a massive amount of potential content to cover, from the lag in the PS3 version to the Macho Dragon Mod, to getting every hidden whatever.

I personally love LoZ games and TES games, and have played some of both Skyrim and Skyward Sword. (I actually got the Skyward Sword bundle and the Skyrim CE. ^.^)

Whateveralot

Oct 25, 2010
Jailbird408 said:
I AM a fanboy. If you're trying to use that term as an insult it's not working.
I'm not slandering your opinion, but I'm not adopting it either.
And I get the feeling that partaking in this argument isn't getting me any closer to finding out the answer, so I'm bowing out.
I don't think you're actually looking for a discussion here. You just want to hear agreements with your opinion.

Anyway, if you want the answer:

marketing.

Skyrim had an amazing marketing campain that kept potential buyers engaged with Skyrim for months on end, all to increase anticipation. And it payed off.

Also, Nintendo has screwed up the Zelda-audience with the Wii. Sure you will disagree, but I'm not here for your agreement (unlike you, apparently). The Elder Scrolls games have a longer-lasting concept with some pretty neat innovations throughout the series. For Zelda...well...the concept was there. Not much room for new stuff. It's all a bit samey. But sure, you can disagree. Bite me.

MaxwellEdison

Sep 30, 2010
Jailbird408 said:
A sub-standard if not retarded script, bugs and glitches in every corner of the game, a completely broken and lazy PS3 port and gameplay mechanics that have been outclassed by so many games before it add up to a game that doesn't deserve the memetic status it holds.
1. The story line is relatively good.
2. I've yet to encounter any bugs.
3. PS3 HAS NO GAMES. Play it on Xbox or the computer - This might be a problem, but I don't know. I don't know anyone with a PS3.
4. Again, the mechanics seem pretty good. Though I'm not sure how one improves upon sword swinging.

I think the issue with your opinion is that you've only heard about the game from people who have exaggerated its flaws.
The reason people like Skyrim is because it's a huge, open, beautiful, and generally in-depth world. The story is pretty great, imo, if only for the fact that the world-changing events are actually decided by player actions. It's a great example of where games should be going: More choice, more depth in the game world, more ideas and philosophies built into the story. This is also what I liked so much about Deus Ex HR, and it seems the gaming community, as a whole, agrees with me here.
Besides the glitches (which I've never encountered), I don't see what you don't find appealing about that.

yukshee

Oct 2, 2009
To answer the OP: there's nothing that beats Skyrim for stain removal. Ignore all this gameplay guff try Skyrim on your kitchen & bathroom surfaces and even encrusted stains from DNF will simply sluice down the pan.

D0WNT0WN

Sep 28, 2008
I hate Skyrim and Skyward Sword.

Skyrim is a buggy, casualised mess of a game that does its best to pull me out of my immersion when I just seem to get into it. The combat is so boring, Magic is hold R1 to win and the Melee weapons make me feel motion sick when the camera lazily sways to the side when you attack. The only positive thing I can say about it is the enviroments look nice sometimes, especially that tundra region to the north on the way to Winterhold.

Resistances are broken and Destruction Magic really needs fixing but wait instead of fixing it like any good developer would Bethesda have just made Skyrim (and Oblivion while im ranting) really mod friendly so the users can fix it so they can work on the next few pieces of DLC.

Skyward Sword is a terrible Legend Of Zelda game. My main hatrid of Skyward Sword derives from the overuse of WiiMotion +, for swordplay it is fine and generally works but for flying and everything else it is a massive chore and they way Nintendo seems to ignore the analouge stick on the Numchuk just tells me that Nintendo is adament with forcing this stuff on us. Also you have to revist the same few areas and the really poorly implemented crafting to pad out the length of the game is terrible.

And finally the character designs are laughable, I agree with Yahtzee when he said Link looks like he had been set apon by a swarm of angry wasps.

Creator002

Aug 30, 2010
My friend before playing Skyrim: Why would anyone play Queerim? It's just a stupid RPG. You beat it once, never play it again.[footnote]He holds this belief about any game that has no online multiplayer. Somehow, he can't seem to fathom that some people like playing single player only games and enjoying the same story again in a different way. He really pisses me off sometimes.[/footnote]
He plays Skyrim on his PC just for kicks. I look at his play time when I'm next over, 50 hours.
Me: I thougt you hated "Queerim".
Him: Nah, it's not so bad.

My point? You can't judge something when you haven't played it because you have no reasonable stand point.

Why I like Skyrim? I enjoy the open world style gameplay as well as feeling almost alone and lost in the game world. The quests are also quite fun and none of them are required to progress in any way except plot wise or just to complete the quest.

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
Jailbird408 said:
Now I have not played this particular game yet, but from what I've heard about it, I'm not sure I want to. A sub-standard if not retarded script
It's not Shakespeare good, but it's not Resident Evil bad

Jailbird408 said:
bugs and glitches in every corner of the game
Not come across one yet

Jailbird408 said:
a completely broken and lazy PS3 port
I can't comment, I'm playing it on the 360

Jailbird408 said:
and why is "Arrow to the Knee" of all the lines in the game quoted and twisted like it's an untruthful cake?
Cause it's the one you hear the most from guards (unless your in the Dark Brotherhood)

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
I'm personally furious that people ignored Uplink during its Humble Bundle day in the sun, or Myst Online throughout its tumultuous life (It's still alive! Go play it if you like puzzle adventure games!). I've figured out why, though.

People like Skyrim because it offers a bunch of stuff that other games (including Skyward Sword) don't. Plus, it's big and had a lot of hype build-up.

Risingblade

Mar 15, 2010
D0WNT0WN said:
I hate Skyrim and Skyward Sword.

Skyrim is a buggy, casualised mess of a game that does its best to pull me out of my immersion when I just seem to get into it. The combat is so boring, Magic is hold R1 to win and the Melee weapons make me feel motion sick when the camera lazily sways to the side when you attack. The only positive thing I can say about it is the enviroments look nice sometimes, especially that tundra region to the north on the way to Winterhold.
R1 to win? you sir know nothing of magic in skyrim!

Sightless Wisdom

Resident Cynic
Jul 24, 2009
Elder Scrolls V. That's the short explanation, the longer one involves me telling you that the game is actually very well made considering it's size and the amount of options in every scenario that they had to code in.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
only part of, Bethesda's really, popularity i don't get is the 'free pass' they seem to get from releasing games with more bugs then a bee hive.

other then that, every thing about Skyrim sounds nice enough, i guess.