Why isn't Anonymous helping us against SOpa and PIPA

Dys

Sep 10, 2008
There's nothing for anonymous to prove here. Anyone (literally anyone) who uses the internet is already going to be bombarded with anti-SOPA/PIPA messages wherever they turn. Hacking the websites of those who support the bill isn't going to give the issue any more exposure, hence it isn't worth doing.

Darklink82

Jun 30, 2011
Anonymous is doing enough by rallying protests, informing the entire internet, Not attacking pro-PIPA/SOPA sites, and being as ,well, anonymous as possible.

If they were to start taking down websites it would just give more ammo to the people who want the bill passed. However if these bills pass without any sites being taken down by anonymous, then i think that they should start posting copyrighted material on internet news sites owned by members of the entertainment industry just to get them shut down by using the bill's laws against the people the bill is supposed to help.

I am wondering more why the Jester has not done anything about these bills.

Rule Britannia

Apr 20, 2011
I imagine they have realised if they attack anything because they're angry about PIPA and SOPA it would be taken from congress as
"these "foreign pirates" are crazy and will do anything for the internet therefore we must strengthen the bill, maker it stupider and shove our heads further up our anuses"

So yeah I imagine they won't attack but if it comes close to being passed (which it won't) or if it passes (which it won't) Anonymous may go bat shit crazy.

vashthblackseed

Mar 31, 2011
Their official help would be detrimental to the cause. But there are plenty of "anonymous" things they could be doing like signing petitions.

KaiserKnight

Jul 2, 2011
SOPA and PIPA are too big for them. The US government already took down a large website which was a 'big blow' to many users, Chan users/Anon only took down government sites which means nothing really. It didn't affect their information, their workers, nothing. Its like tearing down a warehouse full of drugs and the drug-lords break two of the officers windows...on their old car...which doesn't run.

IbanezLaney

Apr 4, 2010
Doubt they can do anything except maybe block a few websites for 10min.

You have to look at their schedules.
In between Preschool commitments, toilet training, trying to hack their PS3's so they can play on obsolete 8 year old hardware for free, writing 'hello world' scripts in various versions of C and going to the doctor for more aspy/adhd medication.

How could they ever find the time with all that going on??

Now a serious bit:
Any of them who are skilled programmer effectively (some actually) work for the virus/internet security company's - writing new viruses to keep people like Norton/McAfee in business.
Whether it is intended or not - that is the only real effect groups like anon have.
They are unknowingly being suckered into expanding an industry. Possibly the only reason the skilled members have been ALLOWED to continue.

They only prop up/strengthen what they fight against by ddosing/hacking etc....

Also don't forget that maybe only 0.005% of them can actually write any code so to rely on those 4-5 people in times like this is not realistic/possible.

If they want to be something other than mildly annoying kids - They need to engage people on a real level with discussion, debate and facts, using intelligence - not on vile racial hate sites like encyclopedia dramatica, a site of mommies boys suffering 'little man syndrome' which is filled with retarded 14year olds dribbling on themselves just cause they think it's free lube.

Q. Why don't they put their money where their mouth is and start a political party of their own and go for some seats?

A. It would show their true, active support levels at any election time - some groups are bigger/stronger in myth than reality and prefer it that way.

WeAreStevo

Sep 22, 2011
I think it's best that Anonymous stays out of this one. If they came out and started hacking supporters of the bill, it would simply embolden the supporters of the bill to ensure it's passing. By staying out and letting ordinary people (as well as major companies) bring their dislike of SOPA to the table, it is much better.

lordmardok

Mar 25, 2010
They are against it, they're just being more polite this time. They made a video to raise awareness, it has their logo at the beginning

http://memebase.com/2012/01/18/internet-memes-stop-acta/?fb_ref=newpromocopy

Aug 1, 2010
Because as much I I truly hate to say it....... I don't think Anonymous really exists.

Sure, there are still isolated hacker groups out there, but no world wide conglomerate like some people, myself included, hope there is.

So much of the fear of them comes from our friendly neighborhood 4chan. The Sherlock Holmes stuff that [strike/]we[/S] they can do there can be pretty amazing.

And finally, what you have to realize is all of the skilled people on 4chan and many of the skilled hackers don't really care about activism. They do what they do for the most basic reward in the universe. The Lulz. And doing something about SOPA doesn't really provide that.

Farson89

Apr 16, 2009
Uh... They are.

People seem to have this ridiculous idea of Anonymous as this elite group who spend all of their time hacking the CIA but when it comes down to it most anons are just regular internet users who know how to DDoS. You can't DDos a bill out of existence.

Most members of Anonymous are helping out in the exact same way you are, spreading awareness, writing letters, making phone calls and signing petitions. Anons are not a hive-mind that only function as part of the wider group, save for condemning SOPA (which Anon HAS) there isn't anything their usual methods can do.

Common sense alone should tell you this.

Wintermoot

Aug 20, 2009
IF SOPA or PIPA where to pass they would react neither have passed yet or both are in their eyes not a threat.
for example they "avenged" Megaupload.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
They are "striking back" for mega video...if you consider that helping, and if you don't I can't blame you.

CarlMin

Jun 6, 2010
Anom has certainly done their part to paint anti-SOPA protests as pirates and hackers. I don't think they could possibly have done more damage to the opposition.

I just hope that most people on the internet will have more sense than to stand behind this preposterous "attack".

Mrmac23

Aug 12, 2011
I think they're a bit busy with their absolutely pulverising music sites and the Department of Justice as revenge for Megaupload.
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/115367-Anonymous-Exacts-Revenge-for-Megaupload-Takedown

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
Lol. Do you really think Anon can change anything? All they do is take down a few sites for an hour or so, which is an inconvenience for the sites involved. They are not internet white knights.....they just back themselves, not any of us.

Orinon

Jan 24, 2010
I admit I was wrong, Anonymous probably realizes they'd do more harm and now I know that too, Thank you every for relieving me of my ignorance.
But I do have to make one small joke
Justin Bieber supports SOPA? oh boy now the Internet is gonna hate on him more

The_Merchant

Nov 9, 2011
Because Anonymous isn't a group to rely on,Anonymous can't be even called a group,its just random hackers getting together,not just one such meeting but multiple ones.Anyone can put up a guy fawkes mask/Anon BG picture,with voice tearer and make speeches.That's why Anon videos on youtube or statements on any news site condract themselves more often than not.
Anonymous is nothing but a title for someone whos behind multiple proxies,who are randomly in possession of a fawkes mask.There's no official spokesman for Anonymous,so whatever the news feeds claim to have squeezed out of them matters not and is bullshit anyway.
It was originally just a name for douches which do XXL trolling,originating from 4chan.
Anonymous were never something most would call ''freedom fighters'',sure they were there protesting against Scientology but at the same time there where people with the same name encouraging Scientologys method for shit and giggles.