Why Little Pony?

Aidinthel

Occasional Gentleman
Apr 3, 2010
bluepotatosack said:
So far I've caught references to David Bowie, Benny Hill, Ziegfeld Follies... That last one especially surprised me. I like all these little nods.
In "Fall Weather Friends" Twilight wears the number 42 during the race.

And I believe Lauren Faust admitted that the moral of Pinkie Keen was badly phrased. I forget what exactly she meant it to mean but I remember thinking how much better it would have been.

bluepotatosack

Mar 17, 2011
Aidinthel said:
bluepotatosack said:
So far I've caught references to David Bowie, Benny Hill, Ziegfeld Follies... That last one especially surprised me. I like all these little nods.
In "Fall Weather Friends" Twilight wears the number 42 during the race.

And I believe Lauren Faust admitted that the moral of Pinkie Keen was badly phrased. I forget what exactly she meant it to mean but I remember thinking how much better it would have been.
Yeah, it could've been intended more to say don't outright dismiss things that don't make immediate sense to you, but it didn't really come out that way.

And I completely missed the HGTTG reference. Now I'll have to rewatch everything to see what else I escaped my notice.

Why Should I Care

Jul 9, 2011
well, that chart.... i almost in the pink zone BUT!i am still kinda in the 2nd highest one as well the WHY AM I WATCHING THIS SHOW!!! :D
its really good, besides the fact that they really only focus on like 6 characters its still good though :)

Pyramid Head

Jun 19, 2011
My Little Pony has it's own cult referred to as the Bronies. They beat kids to death with clubs made from horses bones, eat the brains, drink a mix of blood and hallucinegenic mushrooms, then watch children cartoons. But you should bare in mind that only the latter step is mandatory. I haven't watched My Little Pony and never will, but don't let my hesitation stop you from acting on self-flagellating urges. Check it out, you might even like it.

00slash00

Dec 29, 2009
Jailbird408 said:
I'm relatively new to the whole internet scene, and something's been bothering me: A lot of people seem to like My Little Pony. I've only seen a few of the early 80s episodes when I was younger, when everything was covered in syrup and song-and-dance numbers. I'm going to assume that the MLP stuff I've seen online is from some sort of new series, but I still have to wonder: Why is My little Pony so popular. I might check it out myself if only someone could tell me where I can find an episode and whether or not there are horrible corny musical bits. Can someone fill me in?
great animation, great voice acting, great writing, a creator who listens to fans and doesnt pander to her audience. the episodes are free on youtube so theres no reason to not check it out. the first 2 episodes suck though and im almost tempted to tell you to skip them. they're mainly just to introduce the characters. i love the show but i understand its not for everyone. i suggest watching the first 4 episodes and if you decide you hate it, all i ask is that you dont turn into one of those douchebags that trolls fans of mlp and tries to make us feel bad because we like a show that you dont. theres plenty of love and tolerance for everyone

DEAD34345

Aug 18, 2010
Major Tom said:
Jimmybobjr said:
And i also feel that Toy Story 3 is a bad example. Toy story 1 came out in 1995. Toy story 3 came out in 2010. Thats twenty years difference. Those 20 year old you mentioned probably saw the first two movies as a kid, and therefore, understand the idea behind the movies.

however, if that is applied to the Pony thing:

Pony became popular Late Last Year/this year. thats 6 months difference. People who havent watched the show will see Rainbow Coloured Baby Horses and unicorns singing about friendship. They dont understand the idea behind the show.

They arent readily comparable. One Show has been around for decades, one has been around for months. One has already integrated themselvs into a persons life since childhood. One hasnt. ONE IS ABOUT SHINY RAINBOW PONYS.
One isnt.
I don't think anyone has pulled you up on this yet, but just a point of correction. My Little Pony as a franchise is very much older than Toy Story, being of the same vintage as Transformers and GI Joe. The first My Little Pony episodes aired as a couple of one off specials in 1984 and 85 respectively, followed by a movie and getting its own series starting in 1986, running through to 1987. Since then there have been a number of cartoons and direct to video shows in the years since then.

So the parents watching My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic with their children may very well have watched My Little Pony when they were children.
Since you're already correcting him, I'd like to point out that the plural of "pony" is ponies. Also although there is a rainbow coloured baby horse at one point in the show, it does not sing until it's an adult... oh and there is only one rainbow coloured pony and it is most definitely not shiny, nor are any of the other ponies.

This has all lead me to the conclusion that your statements are ill-informed slander, and that you should give the show a try (though I'm sure you've been told that many times by now and still refused).

Rooster893

Mwee bwee bwee.
Feb 4, 2009
It's sort of like Looney Tunes; made for children, but there are plenty of adult references and 4th Wall breaks. And the show is perfect if you're feeling depressed and if you need something bring you out of the dumps.

hotsauceman

Jun 23, 2011
Why do grown men have an obsession with muscle dudes in tights flying around saving women? Because they like it. I love my little pony. I love it enough to buy the toys for my nieces. Im not sure why i do i just do. Some of the episodes are hit or miss. But there character just cant not love.

Zeetchmen

Aug 17, 2009
Kipohippo said:
It's a show for little girls that people try to justify for some odd reason. Tell me what is mature about ponies with tatoos of rainbows on thier buts prancing around singing about friendship. I mean, holy shit, other kids shows make fun of it for gods fucking sake.

Low post count and possibly lead to bannage, which is not cool everypony

Leemaster777

Feb 25, 2010
bluepotatosack said:
Alright, I got sucked in.

Except that episode about religion ("Feeling Pinkie Keen"). That was bullshit.

If I talked about the animation or characters I'd just be repeating everything that's already been said, but I don't think I've seen anybody talk about some of the references they make.

Heh, episode seven has an A-Team reference, episode 5 has a fairly blaitant Pepe le Pew reference, episode 21 has a Puff the Magic Dragon reference, and I'm fairly certain the Parasprites in episode 10 are a reference to Star Trek Tribbles.

Tons of humors nods like that in this show, and that's just what I thought of off the top of my head.

Quaxar

Sep 21, 2009
hotsauceman said:
Why do grown men have an obsession with muscle dudes in tights flying around saving women? Because they like it. I love my little pony. I love it enough to buy the toys for my nieces.
Ah yes... the "nieces". Gotcha.

Also, did we really need to warm up a ten day old thread for the sake of bronying about?
Just askin'.

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
Jimmybobjr said:
TriGGeR_HaPPy said:
Jimmybobjr said:
TriGGeR_HaPPy said:
For almost all of the responses against it, please look at the following image. This is Lauren Faust herself responding to a message she got:
http://26.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lkl33sCMXz1qdv1gso1_500.jpg

There are those who don't like the show because they've watched more than just the first 2 episodes, and still don't like it. If you've watched any of episode 3 onwards, and still don't like it, then I've got no beef with you. :)

But those who are just spouting uninformed opinions on the show because they think it'll be like the previous generations of MLP, then complain because we're trying to at least get them to give it a shot, or to stop commenting on it? I mean... Really?
Tell me WHY, and i want a good reason, WHY I WOULD WATCH THE SHOW AT ALL.

AT ALL.

You say my argument is invalid because i havent watched the show- my argument is that noone other than the little girls the show is made for SHOULD HAVE WATCHED IT IN THE FIRST PLACE.

Mabie you have to be High or really, really drunk to understand it.
Did... Did you not read from the image I posted at all before responding?
Lauren Faust, one of the main driving forces behind the latest generation in its entirety, stated that "I didn't create this show for little girls, I created it for little girls and their parents -- including male parents. It only stands to reason that adult animation fans without children may like it, too."

So your statement that "noone other than the little girls the show is made for SHOULD HAVE WATCHED IT IN THE FIRST PLACE" is wrong, because the show is not just made for little girls.

I'm not saying you should watch the show at all. I'm saying that if you're going to comment on the show, at least watch any episode past (and including) episode 3 the whole way through.

I say that, because while episode 1 and 2 are pretty good once you're already a fan, they're not the best episodes to introduce someone to the series with, because they have a rather different feel to them, and thus aren't really good to introduce people to the series with because they don't really present the series in the right way.

It's the same as the fact that you wouldn't really take a comment about a show you like, from another person who has never seen any episode from the show, seriously.
E.g. Think about a show/movie/whatever you really like, and a lot of other people do, too. Right? Okay. Now imagine that every time you bring it up, I started going up to you, and anyone around you, and stated that the show is terrible. Truly, honestly terrible. You then ask if I've seen that show at all. I say no, but keep spouting what I'm saying as if it were in any way an objective fact. I'm not saying this would colour your opinion of me, but surely that would bug you a little if I did this every time you brought up a good show that you liked?
You misundestand me. I never said the show was Terrible. I IMPLIED it. I cant state the show is horrible- as you say, i havent seen it- and at NO POINT have i said i have.

WHAT I AM SAYING is that from face value, which, to anything in this world, is most important, this show is NOT sutable for any self respecting person above the age of 8.

Ill say that again;

This show is NOT sutable for any self respecting person above the age of 8.

Understand?

I didnt say ive watched it (God Forbid)
I havent said its horrible (I implied it)

And in addition, you state
"So your statement that "noone other than the little girls the show is made for SHOULD HAVE WATCHED IT IN THE FIRST PLACE" is wrong, because the show is not just made for little girls."

So, i either need to be a Little girl, or a married man watching the show WITH a little girl?

How many people on here fill those two roles? I think the idea behing Whats-Her-Face's message is that
1) your a little girl
2) your a parent of said little girl watching the TV show together.

NOT

a 20 year old dude sitting at his computer watching it alone. Coz thats what i think most of you are doing.

Deal?

Jimmybobjr

Aug 3, 2010
Not G. Ivingname said:
Jimmybobjr said:
TriGGeR_HaPPy said:
Jimmybobjr said:
TriGGeR_HaPPy said:
For almost all of the responses against it, please look at the following image. This is Lauren Faust herself responding to a message she got:
http://26.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lkl33sCMXz1qdv1gso1_500.jpg

There are those who don't like the show because they've watched more than just the first 2 episodes, and still don't like it. If you've watched any of episode 3 onwards, and still don't like it, then I've got no beef with you. :)

But those who are just spouting uninformed opinions on the show because they think it'll be like the previous generations of MLP, then complain because we're trying to at least get them to give it a shot, or to stop commenting on it? I mean... Really?
Tell me WHY, and i want a good reason, WHY I WOULD WATCH THE SHOW AT ALL.

AT ALL.

You say my argument is invalid because i havent watched the show- my argument is that noone other than the little girls the show is made for SHOULD HAVE WATCHED IT IN THE FIRST PLACE.

Mabie you have to be High or really, really drunk to understand it.
Did... Did you not read from the image I posted at all before responding?
Lauren Faust, one of the main driving forces behind the latest generation in its entirety, stated that "I didn't create this show for little girls, I created it for little girls and their parents -- including male parents. It only stands to reason that adult animation fans without children may like it, too."

So your statement that "noone other than the little girls the show is made for SHOULD HAVE WATCHED IT IN THE FIRST PLACE" is wrong, because the show is not just made for little girls.

I'm not saying you should watch the show at all. I'm saying that if you're going to comment on the show, at least watch any episode past (and including) episode 3 the whole way through.

I say that, because while episode 1 and 2 are pretty good once you're already a fan, they're not the best episodes to introduce someone to the series with, because they have a rather different feel to them, and thus aren't really good to introduce people to the series with because they don't really present the series in the right way.

It's the same as the fact that you wouldn't really take a comment about a show you like, from another person who has never seen any episode from the show, seriously.
E.g. Think about a show/movie/whatever you really like, and a lot of other people do, too. Right? Okay. Now imagine that every time you bring it up, I started going up to you, and anyone around you, and stated that the show is terrible. Truly, honestly terrible. You then ask if I've seen that show at all. I say no, but keep spouting what I'm saying as if it were in any way an objective fact. I'm not saying this would colour your opinion of me, but surely that would bug you a little if I did this every time you brought up a good show that you liked?
You misundestand me. I never said the show was Terrible. I IMPLIED it. I cant state the show is horrible- as you say, i havent seen it- and at NO POINT have i said i have.

WHAT I AM SAYING is that from face value, which, to anything in this world, is most important, this show is NOT sutable for any self respecting person above the age of 8.

Ill say that again;

This show is NOT sutable for any self respecting person above the age of 8.

Understand?

I didnt say ive watched it (God Forbid)
I havent said its horrible (I implied it)

And in addition, you state
"So your statement that "noone other than the little girls the show is made for SHOULD HAVE WATCHED IT IN THE FIRST PLACE" is wrong, because the show is not just made for little girls."

So, i either need to be a Little girl, or a married man watching the show WITH a little girl?

How many people on here fill those two roles? I think the idea behing Whats-Her-Face's message is that
1) your a little girl
2) your a parent of said little girl watching the TV show together.

NOT

a 20 year old dude sitting at his computer watching it alone. Coz thats what i think most of you are doing.

Deal?
Old post is old.

Intrest in Old post is None.

I have no intrest in Old post.

So No.

Jailbird408

Jan 19, 2011
Wow. Really?

Jees. PuzzldPirate has a point. I wasn't expecting a quotation notice for this thread to show up in my inbox. Guys, I tried it, I watched every episode once, can't bring myself to watch it again. Now can you please take this discussion somewhere else? I'm sick of hearing about ponies!

PinkiePyro

Sep 26, 2010
whats to get its a great show..

what I don't get is why some escapists are so quick to flame and hate us and our show for existing?

I don't deny its a show aimed at little girls
but that does not mean you can run about being rude to the community who likes it
I mean its not like we are forcing anyone to watch it we just like the show

we are no difference from star wars/star trek fanboys expt our show is about girly ponys rather than space *insert space core joke here*

you guys seem to be fine with them, so why harras us?

but regardless of your view of us you can be sure we will love and toilrate the shit out of you as that is rule 2 of the brony code

garfoldsomeoneelse

Charming, But Stupid
Mar 22, 2009
At first I just waited for it to blow over like any other fad, but then curiosity got the better of me and I looked it up on youtube, and got suckered in by the first episode. Great writing, strong characterization, clever humor, pleasing art direction and a complete lack of cheesecake made it really hard not to unironically enjoy.

Remember how Animaniacs was a cartoon for children, but still had plenty of subtle humor and amusing references for the adults? Pretty much like that.

jackpackage200

Jul 4, 2011
i'm not exactly a fan of mlp but this was epic http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bjkM_y-Wps
and thee funny pics and gifs are awespme