Why Little Pony?

William MacKay

Oct 26, 2010
Tucker154 said:
Kipohippo said:
It's a show for little girls that people try to justify for some odd reason. Tell me what is mature about ponies with tatoos of rainbows on thier buts prancing around singing about friendship. I mean, holy shit, other kids shows make fun of it for gods fucking sake.
Who tries to justify it? We all know its a show made for little girls. To bad they failed at making it a hit on its targeted audience. Its just I fun show that as soon as you start watching it (and if your like me, the 1 hr after he sit down staring at nothing, just trying to figure out why the hell you enjoy it) you just get sucked into it.
actually, the creator aimed it at young audiences and their parents. almost always one of those parents is male and hopefully over 10.

TriGGeR_HaPPy

Another Regular. ^_^
May 22, 2008
For almost all of the responses against it, please look at the following image. This is Lauren Faust herself responding to a message she got:
http://26.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lkl33sCMXz1qdv1gso1_500.jpg

There are those who don't like the show because they've watched more than just the first 2 episodes, and still don't like it. If you've watched any of episode 3 onwards, and still don't like it, then I've got no beef with you. Every single show out there has people who have watched it and like it, and those who have watched it and don't like it. :)

But those who are just spouting uninformed opinions on the show because they think it'll be like the previous generations of MLP, then complain because we're trying to at least get them to give it a shot, or to stop commenting on it? I mean... Really?

Jimmybobjr

Aug 3, 2010
Kipohippo said:
It's a show for little girls that people try to justify for some odd reason. Tell me what is mature about ponies with tatoos of rainbows on thier buts prancing around singing about friendship. I mean, holy shit, other kids shows make fun of it for gods fucking sake.
This, this and this.

Actiualy, this times a Million.

I mean jeesus christ, is there something in the water that im immune to or something? Whichever way you cut it, ITS A SHOW ABOUT RAINBOW COLOURED BABY HORSES AND UNICORNS. YOU REALLY CANT GET ANY WORSE THAN THAT.

Jimmybobjr

Aug 3, 2010
TriGGeR_HaPPy said:
For almost all of the responses against it, please look at the following image. This is Lauren Faust herself responding to a message she got:

There are those who don't like the show because they've watched more than just the first 2 episodes, and still don't like it. If you've watched any of episode 3 onwards, and still don't like it, then I've got no beef with you. :)

But those who are just spouting uninformed opinions on the show because they think it'll be like the previous generations of MLP, then complain because we're trying to at least get them to give it a shot, or to stop commenting on it? I mean... Really?
Tell me WHY, and i want a good reason, WHY I WOULD WATCH THE SHOW AT ALL.

AT ALL.

You say my argument is invalid because i havent watched the show- my argument is that noone other than the little girls the show is made for SHOULD HAVE WATCHED IT IN THE FIRST PLACE.

Mabie you have to be High or really, really drunk to understand it.

00slash00

Dec 29, 2009
Jailbird408 said:
Sorry guys, but uc.asc turned me off of the show by warning me of the horrible corny musical bits. Sorry!
im only about 9 episodes in, but those bits arent common and are short. also, its not like disney musical numbers. its more like a parody of when people randomly break into song in movies or tv shows

TriGGeR_HaPPy

Another Regular. ^_^
May 22, 2008
Jimmybobjr said:
TriGGeR_HaPPy said:

There are those who don't like the show because they've watched more than just the first 2 episodes, and still don't like it. If you've watched any of episode 3 onwards, and still don't like it, then I've got no beef with you. :)

AT ALL.

You say my argument is invalid because i havent watched the show- my argument is that noone other than the little girls the show is made for SHOULD HAVE WATCHED IT IN THE FIRST PLACE.

Did... Did you not read from the image I posted at all before responding?
Lauren Faust, one of the main driving forces behind the latest generation in its entirety, stated that "I didn't create this show for little girls, I created it for little girls and their parents -- including male parents. It only stands to reason that adult animation fans without children may like it, too."

So your statement that "noone other than the little girls the show is made for SHOULD HAVE WATCHED IT IN THE FIRST PLACE" is wrong, because the show is not just made for little girls.

I'm not saying you should watch the show at all. I'm saying that if you're going to comment on the show, at least watch any episode past (and including) episode 3 the whole way through.

I say that, because while episode 1 and 2 are pretty good once you're already a fan, they're not the best episodes to introduce someone to the series with, because they have a rather different feel to them, and thus aren't really good to introduce people to the series with because they don't really present the series in the right way.

It's the same as the fact that you wouldn't really take a comment about a show you like, from another person who has never seen any episode from the show, seriously.
E.g. Think about a show/movie/whatever you really like, and a lot of other people do, too. Right? Okay. Now imagine that every time you bring it up, I started going up to you, and anyone around you, and stated that the show is terrible. Truly, honestly terrible. You then ask if I've seen that show at all. I say no, but keep spouting what I'm saying as if it were in any way an objective fact. I'm not saying this would colour your opinion of me, but surely that would bug you a little if I did this every time you brought up a good show that you liked?

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
I'm still not convinced that its not a big joke that some of us haven't been let in on yet.

I think I'll just stick with Archer for my animated goodness.

CargoHold

Sep 16, 2009
Kipohippo said:
As soon as you press play, you lose your mancard.
Yeah, because femininity is second to masculinity, and not following constructed male gender roles makes you unmanly/effeminate and thus inferior. Ass.

It's pretty much My Little Reaction Face, so it sits well with the internet community. It's pretty funny in places.

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
Last week, I was having late dinner in front of my PC, and realized that I didn't have anything to watch. I'd mostly ignored all the talk about how totally awesome "My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic" supposedly is, but since I was bored I figured I'd give it a try.

The first episode started a bit slow, but as it transitioned into part 2 it was really picking up. The characters were likable, the humor was enjoyable, the animation and aesthetics were quite good, and the plot (while sweet and fuzzy) was solid and didn't feel like it was insulting the viewer's intelligence.

So I ended up watching the whole first season in under a week. The characters turned out to be well-rounded, with many different sides to them, and each episode often touched on several useful lessons for kids and certain adults alike. (Tolerance and open-mindedness are recurring themes, and the show even touched directly on racism in one episode.) It's a feel-good show with sweet characters, surprisingly effective drama, and the occasional well-crafted song and dance number.

So, in conclusion...

(EDIT: Also, worth noting is that I my sister forced me to watch the original show with her when we were kids. I've long since repressed my memories of that, though, so all I have is her word for it. :p)

00slash00

Dec 29, 2009
Jimmybobjr said:

AT ALL.

i dont know how it exploded into such a cult thing, but i can tell you why i started watching. i kept seeing mlp avatars and seeing people talk about it on forums and shit and i was curious why it was so popular. however, rather than ignorantly insulting a show i had never seen, and its fanbase, i decided to read about it and watch the first 4 episodes (because everyone kept saying that by episode 4 it started getting good). i thought the first 2 episodes were lame but still got one or two smirks out of me. by the end of episodes 3, however, i was starting to get into it.

you arent going to understand why people like something without experiencing it yourself. either your just trolling fans or your legitimately curious. if youre actually curious about its popularity then watch the first 4 episodes with an open mind and then maybe you'll understand its following or maybe you wont, but at least you can say you gave it a fair shot. and remember, kids show doesnt not have to mean bad. toy story 3 was a kids movie but every twenty something i know has seen it and loved it. the mario games are kids games but they're about as popular amongst adult gamers as they are amongst children, if not more so

Hamish Durie

Apr 30, 2011
after following the first link to youtube and after about 10min i realised somehting about appels that you can make 23 dishes out of them, that was after the third try counting all them appels.
next i learnt that you can drain clouds of rain by jumping on them and they utterly cease to exist if you kick them.
i did not know that ponys wore corsets or that they made concerts using birds and are surprisingly nice when it comes to telling someone(somebird in this case) that there off key.

I have to stop now or ill fall off my chair cause im laughing so hard srsly MLP is pretty good.

Liviola

May 9, 2011
Despite this thread apparently being the 5 billionth thread on the same topic, it has been helpful to me because I've been wondering the same thing as the OP for a while now.

I actually used to just assume that EVERYONE who liked MLP liked it ironically, and that the whole thing was just a 4chan meme about pretending to like it.. but now that I've read the knowyourmeme.com article about it and read replies in this thread that patiently explain why they like it, instead of just outright worshipping it madly, I'm coming around to believing people actually like it. (But I'm still a tiny bit paranoid that it's all a big conspiracy to pretend to like it o_O.. but that's just me)

I sat through one episode when someone first linked it way back, and I guess I'm one of the "it's not my taste" people. Weirdly though, I actually WAS into My Little Pony when I was like 5 or something.

Davey Woo

Jan 9, 2009
I just watched the full first episode.
It's as bearable as any other children's cartoon I've ever watched, but I don't think I'm about to become a 'bronie' or whatever they are...

martianman

Feb 14, 2008
I just watched the third episode. It seems to be on caliber with the Viva Pinata cartoon show. Not terrible, but not outstanding either.

DoubleFlip

May 2, 2011
because escapists wish they were on 4chan

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/my-little-pony-friendship-is-magic

Garrsus

Jun 21, 2010
Kipohippo said:
DJDarque said:
Kipohippo said:
DJDarque said:
Kipohippo said:
DJDarque said:
Despite what other people might try to tell you, liking My Little Pony does not make you less of a dude. It has great writing, great animation, and excellent character. And it makes me happy. Do you need another reason than that?
As soon as you press play, you lose your mancard.
Troll elsewhere, please.
Are you fucking kidding me? Can I not express my opinion. What is not girly about a show based off pastel colored ponies? They even have toys. C'mon bro. At least admit its girly. Not to mention immature.
Is it girly? Of course. It doesn't make me any less manly for liking it. It's not like I've started throwing tea parties with stuffed animals or anything. Is it immature? Just as immature as watching Avatar: The Last Airbender, or Adventure Time, or any other cartoons. Why is that bad? In a world that expects everyone to be so serious and mature, what is so bad about letting loose and being a little immature from time to time?
Nothing at all. But there is a big diffrence between my little pony and avatar. I would watch my little pony with a toddler. I can watch avatar with a child and actually be able to sit through it without imploding.
if we let go of our childhood completely then we become husks of who we were, i'd rather retain my self image than become an arrogant jackass who comments for no other purpose than to upset those around him, you didn't even need to post here did you you just did, why? to TROLL.

edit: ok so i have seen your last post and that seems a little better, but you judged it with out watching it first? why?