Why So: Anti-Elf?

Bertylicious

Apr 10, 2012
SckizoBoy said:
Bassik said:
Have you ever played Warhammer or Warhammer 40.000? Elves and Eldar (Space elves) are the most annoying armies to face, with tons of special rules that make their models do things that your guys simply can not.
Fuck elves.
Things have moved on since 3rd Ed, mate, they now suck major-league balls thanks to Mat Ward (I will insert appropriate 'nickname' upon request) and his idiocy.

They now have some of the easiest special rules, compared to Necrons, Grey Knights etc. etc. and more importantly, I still love 'em. Eldrad Ulthran will never die, thank you...

Bertylicious said:
It's because elves are lame. They're either OP ubermensches who have befalled some bullshit tradgedy and/or whiny, obama-loving, hippie, fucks.
Really? They all seem fairly Republican to me... -_-

OT: Perhaps I betray my prejudices when I say that I actually like the archetype (though I may have warped it significantly somewhere along the line).

*leaves before shitstorm*
Firstly, Eldar in 3rd ed basically had a heavy bolter that killed terminators on 2s. That is insane and needed to be taken away. In 2nd ed they had Warp Spiders which meant you could kill an entire army in 2 turns (you're opponent had to be thick, but still). They need bringing to order.

Secondly, I am refering to wood elf types when I'm talking about hippy elves but I do appreciate what you mean as they are usually ultra conservative. I really just wanted to use the phrase "whiny, obama-loving, hippie, fuck".

Toaster Hunter

Jun 10, 2009
I can't stand elves, they're all "look how perfect and immortal and good looking and one with nature we are. You humans wish we're half as awesome as we are." I love it when the pointy eared bastards get put in their place. I always liked dwarves better.

As always, there's a Trope for that

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ScrewYouElves

bobmus

Full Frontal Nerdity
May 25, 2010
Personally Bloom's Legolas actually made me exceptionally pro-Elf. He was awesome and shot lots of arrows, and I was young and impressionable.

Also, They're taking the hobbits to Isengard!

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
Eh, I only have an issue with Elves when they're all smug and superior. And when they're overused.

Exocet

Pandamonium is at hand
Dec 3, 2008
Probably because in almost every mythos, elves are arrogant bastards that consider humans to be no different than trained chimps.
It doesn't help that they can live for millenia, so their views never, EVER change.

Arashiofordo3

Mar 19, 2010
I just wish people would portray elves like they're supposed to be. Underhanded sneaky bastards who will steal your children. World of Darkness has had the best portrayal of them so far. This unknowable eliminate which makes them totally alien. They're too busy going 'fuck you guys' to give a shit about your pathetic little life.

People too often forget that elves are evil and it's a problem, because now everyone expects them to be totally cool and awesome and sexy and wonderful and magical and wise and ancient and all that shit. They completely miss the whole steal your kid away leave a changeling in it's place and rase your stolen baby as a slave to their whims.

In fact it isn't just elves, its all fay-kind. No one knows their fay-lore anymore because people expect them to all be 'good fairies' well guess what. Fairies were evil little shits as well.

Fuck all the fay, no one actually understands any of the supernatural lore and legends. Too much of this god damn twilight-misinterpretation bullshit. Christ Edward Cullen wasn't even a vampire. He's a god damn Sidhe or however it is you spell it.

People are dumb.

Yours.

Arashi of Ordo 3. [supernatural enthusiast]

Substitute Troll

Aug 29, 2010
I believe the reason why it's so common for games to feature elves that have been pushed back into the bottom of society, is a response to the era when elves were basically "tha shit". People must have grown tired of them.

A Weakgeek

Feb 3, 2011
All these elf cliches... you need a game that reinvents the elves to make them likeable. Ah the Witcher series... Nevermind they are terrorists in this one.

Evil Teddie

Feb 7, 2011
Heronblade said:
The elves are overexposed, overused, and tend to be portrayed as these near perfect beings that are so much incredibly better than everyone else...

I don't really have an inherent problem with them myself, but I would prefer to see the media back away from reusing the Tolkienish version of elves, perhaps to be replaced by a race closer to the original seelie and unseelie fae legends.
KOA: Reckoning made me vomit with their portrayal of seelie and unseelie fae. No thanks! "Guardian of the Mabinogi" How can you guard folk stories? Pfft.

Elves are European, Fae are Irish, there's a difference.

They are overused. That's why people hate them.

OtherSideofSky

Jan 4, 2010
I don't hate elves as such, but I'm bloody sick of seeing them in absolutely fucking everything when it comes to fantasy. No one ever even does anything really different with them (they say they do, but they're lying). Fantasy is supposed to be about making shit up. When I read a fantasy novel or play a fantasy game or watch a fantasy movie, I want to see crazy things that I wouldn't have thought of on my own, not something they just lifted whole-cloth out of someone else's head. Are writers and designers so creatively bankrupt that they don't have any crazy ideas of their own? If they are, why would I ever want to bother with their work, much less pay money for it?

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
Their smug sense of thinking they're better than us *insert non-elven race here.* Seriously, every non-hero elf is usually a xenophobic dick.

BathorysGraveland

Dec 7, 2011
I don't mind Elves in fantasy. I really like the Elves portrayed in the Witcher universe - a kind of loosely organized guerilla freedom fighting army struggling on to survival with acts of desperation. However, the standard Lord of the Rings style Elf isn't particularly interesting for me beyond them living in dense forests with their personal homes in trees.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
With the exception of this topic which specifically called for people to come out an hate on elves, I can't really say I've ever noticed a stigma against them from players. Most of the fellow nerds that I know (male and female)(Edit: know personally, that is) wanna bone/get boned by an elf. :p

Combustion Kevin

Nov 17, 2011
elves are often depicted as human beings, just better in almost every consievable way, which actually makes them a "mary sue-race", if you will.

there are stories with elves trying to break that mold, but at the moment they are kinda like vampires.
to which I say: let them disappear for a while, let us miss them first before bringing them back.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Arashiofordo3 said:
I just wish people would portray elves like they're supposed to be. Underhanded sneaky bastards who will steal your children. World of Darkness has had the best portrayal of them so far. This unknowable eliminate which makes them totally alien. They're too busy going 'fuck you guys' to give a shit about your pathetic little life.

People too often forget that elves are evil and it's a problem, because now everyone expects them to be totally cool and awesome and sexy and wonderful and magical and wise and ancient and all that shit. They completely miss the whole steal your kid away leave a changeling in it's place and rase your stolen baby as a slave to their whims.

In fact it isn't just elves, its all fay-kind. No one knows their fay-lore anymore because people expect them to all be 'good fairies' well guess what. Fairies were evil little shits as well.

Fuck all the fay, no one actually understands any of the supernatural lore and legends. Too much of this god damn twilight-misinterpretation bullshit. Christ Edward Cullen wasn't even a vampire. He's a god damn Sidhe or however it is you spell it.

People are dumb.

Yours.

Arashi of Ordo 3. [supernatural enthusiast]
I'm not sure that's fair. You have stories in which they are depicted as cruel and capricious, yes, but plenty of others in which things would have been fine if they weren't provoked in some way.

I'd certainly like to see more fairies capable of cruelty and malice, yes, but this would actually make them less alien, not more. Being nice all the time is very inhuman. It'd certainly help them be more relatable.

Oh, Cullen as a Sidhe? Er...what's that based on? Surely if the author says he's her re-interpretation of a vampire, he's a vampire, even if the re-interpretation happens to seem a bit like a Sidhe.

I agree, supernatural lore has been replace by some bizarre pop culture version of it...which is what supernatural lore was, except older. Things are constantly changing. If you're going to condemn modern stuff as rubbish for not being like the old stuff, why not condemn the old for not being like the older?

Mind you, if you are going to change things, just come up with something new, wipe the slate clena, even if you are taking old ideas.

Mathak

The Tax Man Cometh
Mar 27, 2009
Why does the internet hate elves? Because dwarves hate elves. Think about it.

What does a stereotypical dwarf look like? Beard, short/chubby, lives underground, no women in sight (or at least not recognizable to other races), holds grudges for thousands of years.

What does the stereotypical gamer/nerd look like? Neckbeard, chubby, lives in a basement, no woman in sight, holds grudges against EA and such for years.

Notice a similarity there?

DugMachine

Apr 5, 2010
Well I don't hate them but in all fantasy settings they're all foresty n agile and all that shit. I'm a fan of dwarves; living inside mountains, forging, warriors, heavy armor.