Why so much hate for Halo in particular

Ironic

Sep 30, 2008
I have Halo 3, Halo CE was good when it came out, Halo 2 was really fun when you have a load of friends playing it with you, Halo 3 is like they tried to merge 1 and 2's core strengths, but it feels more like a compromise.

If you want an FPS with a good campaign story, i recommend COD4, because of the climactic ending XD

If you want fun multiplayer, buy something like Left 4 Dead or Team Fortress, or again, one of the newer CODs.

Halo is kinda like a "i want a change" game, its fun for awhile, but can get REALLY frustrating if you play badly for a couple games (the spawning on snipers >.< .

I do think Hal 3 is really pretty as a game goes though...those plasma grenades make me jizz a little sometimes.

scnj

Nov 10, 2008
elvor0 said:
scnj said:
elvor0 said:
scnj said:
elvor0 said:
I hate the fanbase and reviewers who're blatenly payed to give it perfect scores
Why can't someone have their own opinion without someone accusing them of being bribed?
Just because it's an opinion, that doesn't make it immune to criticism.

For example:

Final Fantasy 7 has the best graphics ever.

There are a number of points you could come up to disprove that. But because it's my opinion, it's not allowed to be disproved?
I can't disprove that. I could point out games that have higher polygon counts etc, but if your opinion was that they didn't look as good as Final Fantasy VII, there would be nothing I could say to disprove it.

I was pointing out that just because they liked a game that you didn't, you have no grounds to say that they were bribed to give it high scores. Unless you have evidence of course.
High scores is fine, perfect scores on the other hand imply bad journalistic intergrity, bias or being payed, as the fans themselves admit the single player was lacking, so that in itself shows a bias towards giving the game a 10/10 score, for it the single player was lacking, the score could never be 10/10 if it was a fair review.
But it's your opinion that the single player was lacking. I enjoyed the single player. The reviewers might have too.

Terrik

Mar 21, 2009
Whenever I think of Halo, I think of this guy : [link]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TPANByjqh8[/link]

Makes me feel less nerdy when I watch it though :p

Ironic

Sep 30, 2008
scnj said:
elvor0 said:
scnj said:
elvor0 said:
scnj said:
elvor0 said:
I hate the fanbase and reviewers who're blatenly payed to give it perfect scores
Why can't someone have their own opinion without someone accusing them of being bribed?
Just because it's an opinion, that doesn't make it immune to criticism.

For example:

Final Fantasy 7 has the best graphics ever.

There are a number of points you could come up to disprove that. But because it's my opinion, it's not allowed to be disproved?
I can't disprove that. I could point out games that have higher polygon counts etc, but if your opinion was that they didn't look as good as Final Fantasy VII, there would be nothing I could say to disprove it.
High scores is fine, perfect scores on the other hand imply bad journalistic intergrity, bias or being payed, as the fans themselves admit the single player was lacking, so that in itself shows a bias towards giving the game a 10/10 score, for it the single player was lacking, the score could never be 10/10 if it was a fair review.
But it's your opinion that the single player was lacking. I enjoyed the single player. The reviewers might have too.
I think the reality is, that Halo 3, in my opinion doesn't have a great campaign, but has enough of one and an engaging of one to be considered "good" , and what with these reviewers reviewing a game every week, i think that the games that stand out as having a campaign that is easy to get into (check) and picks up the action straight away (check) will get a high score in the FPS genre. Its why the psp game Monster Hunter always gets shitty reviews, it has a steep learning curve and takes at LEAST 30 hours of gameplay to get the ball rolling. Friends are also required for fun :/.

I was pointing out that just because they liked a game that you didn't, you have no grounds to say that they were bribed to give it high scores. Unless you have evidence of course.

DaBozz

May 27, 2009
Geo Da Sponge said:
TEAM FORTRESS 2! (cruise control for cool)

You have ignored my points. Team Fortress 2 has no single player, and is brilliant. Unreal Tournament 3 has a titchy rubbish single player that is little more than an extended tutorial. Yet they are both very good games. My point is, just because you expect the single player to be the best part of a game doesn't mean it has to be. If you were reasonable you'd just say "Okay, it doesn't look like my kind of game. I prefer games which focus on single player." Then we'd all be fine. You think that multiplayer is the same for all games, without accounting for quality within it.
I have never played TF2, and nor will I ever (PC is slow and sucks)
realyl good games are balanced, after all not every one has lots of friends
or an internet connection.

Geo Da Sponge said:
Plus, I don't think Halo is perfect. It's campaign is too short. But that doesn't mean everything about is poor. Since people (joob nook) keep referring to Yahtzee, I'll refute with this:

If a game has poor single player, then it's not perfect. But for God's sake at least try the multiplayer to find out where the game is below perfect. 'Below perfect' isn't much of an analysis.
Not everything about Halo is poor, but it does not desirve perfect scores.
and really tbh, its not worth the price. thats the bottom line here.

tasthesose

Mar 20, 2009
Chaosut said:
I guess the escapist is a good place to discuss what games are overrated and underrated, and i've noticed that one of the most games is Halo series. Let me say that i'm not so much defending Halo, as i thought the original was good but the two sequels were too much of the same, but why particularly Halo. There's not nearly as much talk about Half-life 2, Gears of War, Bioshock and such being overrated, or at least not comparing to the ammount of Halo bashing there is. So to hone in on an example, why so little Half-life 2 bashing. I'm actually a big fan of Half-life series since the first one, but i still think HL2 wasn't quite what i'd call great or excellent, but that's a different story. So is there any reason why there's so much freedom in bashing Halo in contrast with other mainstream games?
They practically sold half of the Xbox owners a copy of Halo. It was the Super Mario Brothers of the Xbox. With so many people pushed into the FPS world with Halo I imagine is part of the reason there are so many haters and fans of it in particular.

I didnt really like the second or third one compared to Halo either.

Ramar

May 27, 2009
Why do we all hate Halo?

Because we're all bitter about Duke Nukem Forever and Timesplitters 4.

AbsoluteVirtue18

Jan 14, 2009
Vrex360 said:
Here are some examples of why people do it:
1. The fanboys of another console hating it because it's the big game on 360
2. The people who take Yahtzee's every word as truth
3. The pretentious fuckheads who hate it because it is popular and they want to convince themselves they are special
4. The hypocritical and annoying Valve fanboys
5. The ones who hate for the sake of hating.

I said it before in another thread and I decided to just put it here as otherwise I'd be repeating myself. I could do another passionate argument about why these Halo haters are pretentious bullshit cocks... but I've been saying that so much, I feel weary. I'm a tired warrior returning from the forum battle and I just want to rest. But one final swing with my sword is this point made by all people on youtube:

'Oh man Halo fanboys are so annoying, when I say Halo sucks balls in one of their private forums they all get all angry. If I say I hate Halo because it fuckin' sucks and is overrated because it's overrated and it's overrated because it sucks and that it's fanbase are all retarded... they all spam me with hate.'

OF COURSE THEY DO MORON, because you INSULTED THEM. What did you expect was going to happen when you made a video on youtube about how Halo sucks and then link it to Halo related media?!
If you INSULT people, they get MAD. Can you comprehend this?
Try this, say simply:
"Halo's just not my thing, I respect that you like it but I prefer this kind of game."
Then see if this polite respective response is met with a polite refined:
"Okay then peace out."

This.

Because see there is no such thing as rabid fanboys, there are people who get angry when someone harshly insults them and their favourite game unprovoked.

scnj

Nov 10, 2008
DaBozz said:
How is that the bottom line? That's just what you think. It's not fact.

Deathfist1200

Mar 10, 2009
This whole thread makes me laugh. You do realize that you all are wasting time bashing each others games when at the end of the day the other person is still gonna think that their game is better and your gonna think yours is better. End of story. I mean seriously guys we are all gamers obviously but we are all going to like different games. By reading about halfway through the first page of posts I saw three Series of games mentioned: Halo series (obviously who wouldn't expect that from a Halo thread.), Half-Life, and Time Splitters. (also Goldeneye was mentioned but that's a classic and we are arguing about the three i mentioned before plus I'd rather keep it to three.) Ok let me start off by saying all three games are great in their own aspects. And yes I have played all three and still will to this day. Let's start with Halo since that seems to be everyone's favorite topic fanboy or not. Halo does deserve some praise (Just like the other two) for being at least somewhat innovative. The controls were very simplistic and easy to get used to (c'mon guys my 6 year old cousin can play this game easily) including the vehicle controls they were all simplified to create an enjoyable experience for everyone. Now the Sequels were made with same ideas in mind granted the campaign's stories weren't all that great but that doesn't change the fact that is was a well structured game. Now onto Time Splitters. I definitely enjoyed my time with these games because it was fun to play with friends. The story was just enough to drive not the best penned story but it was there. (If you think about it Halo and Time splitters have a lot in common your ultimate goal is to save earth in some shape or form from evil aliens.) Plus the multiplayer was straight up goofy (in a good way) I mean when you have a duck, a monkey, a zombie, and a gangster fighting each other hilarity ensues. And another thing Time Splitters has is a map editor which once you get the hang out of it is pretty well done. Now onto Half-Life this game is entirely different from the other two. Its a puzzle solving conspiracy game with action sequences. The game's story is really well penned and the game itself is designed very well. I've played this game longer than the others and i can tell you its one of the better puzzle solver games I've played, the action sequences can be a bit frustrating at times but if you analyze your situation you can get through it. The vehicle segments are good but the controls aren't very smooth and take some getting used to but overall they were well done. Overall what it comes down to is which qualities applies to which gamer. The greatest game of all time could come out and there will be at least one person who will hate it. (*cough* Jack Thompson *cough*) But don't get your hopes up the greatest game of all time will never come out until then it's a fruitless battle of opinion. And opinions are like assholes everyone's got one. Now a bid you all adieu and hope that at least some of you will stop this worthless battle. Good day.

Geo Da Sponge

May 14, 2008
DaBozz said:
Geo Da Sponge said:
TEAM FORTRESS 2! (cruise control for cool)

You have ignored my points. Team Fortress 2 has no single player, and is brilliant. Unreal Tournament 3 has a titchy rubbish single player that is little more than an extended tutorial. Yet they are both very good games. My point is, just because you expect the single player to be the best part of a game doesn't mean it has to be. If you were reasonable you'd just say "Okay, it doesn't look like my kind of game. I prefer games which focus on single player." Then we'd all be fine. You think that multiplayer is the same for all games, without accounting for quality within it.
I have never played TF2, and nor will I ever (PC is slow and sucks)
realyl good games are balanced, after all not every one has lots of friends
or an internet connection.
You're a bit behind if you don't have internet. It's like saying that co-op mode is a waste because you only own one controller. Or getting angry when you can't save because you don't have a hard drive or memory card. Or to a more illogical extreme, that a game is rubbish becuase you don't have the right console to play it on. Come to think of it, I've thought of an entire genre of games which have no single player: MMORPGs. Games don't have to have the same focus as you think they do to be good. That's your preference and I don't intend to force people to play games because they're 'good', whether they enjoy them or not.

I hope you're referring specifically to your computer when you say that about PCs or else you're in for a world of hurt on this website. Not from me, though, I prefer consoles for most things.

DaBozz said:
Geo Da Sponge said:
Plus, I don't think Halo is perfect. It's campaign is too short. But that doesn't mean everything about is poor. Since people (joob nook) keep referring to Yahtzee, I'll refute with this:

If a game has poor single player, then it's not perfect. But for God's sake at least try the multiplayer to find out where the game is below perfect. 'Below perfect' isn't much of an analysis.
Presumably the hundreds of thousands of people who still regularly play it disagree with you. No one in their right mind would say it deserves perfect scores, and honestly it doesn't always get them. What it gets is, say 97/100. Since that's on a hundred point scale, it accurately represents the reviewers rating of it. However, if you put that on a ten point scale, it'd be rounded up to 10/10, which people assume means that they think it's perfect.

Collymilad08

Oct 9, 2008
Because a lot of people like it.

You get people who jump on bandwagons for liking things.

Then you get people who think those people are stupid, and so do the "opposite" without realising that they are in fact doing exactly the same thing.

sumanoskae

Dec 7, 2007
Just check the endless list of videos You Tube in which someone will say halo is overrated but give no real valid explanation as to why. It seems to me that they just say so because they want to stand out from the crowd, or some other egotistical bullshit like that, point is they dont hate it because its bad they hate it because they like the idea of hating it, well that and fanboyisim, but saying fanboys are a cause of hate is sort of like saying cancer can cause death. OH and people who look at Yahtzee as the Jesus Christ of video games and take his every word as one of the ten commandments

Thanatos34

Mar 31, 2009
Vrex360 said:
Here are some examples of why people do it:
1. The fanboys of another console hating it because it's the big game on 360
2. The people who take Yahtzee's every word as truth
3. The pretentious fuckheads who hate it because it is popular and they want to convince themselves they are special
4. The hypocritical and annoying Valve fanboys
5. The ones who hate for the sake of hating.

I said it before in another thread and I decided to just put it here as otherwise I'd be repeating myself. I could do another passionate argument about why these Halo haters are pretentious bullshit cocks... but I've been saying that so much, I feel weary. I'm a tired warrior returning from the forum battle and I just want to rest. But one final swing with my sword is this point made by all people on youtube:

'Oh man Halo fanboys are so annoying, when I say Halo sucks balls in one of their private forums they all get all angry. If I say I hate Halo because it fuckin' sucks and is overrated because it's overrated and it's overrated because it sucks and that it's fanbase are all retarded... they all spam me with hate.'

OF COURSE THEY DO MORON, because you INSULTED THEM. What did you expect was going to happen when you made a video on youtube about how Halo sucks and then link it to Halo related media?!
If you INSULT people, they get MAD. Can you comprehend this?
Try this, say simply:
"Halo's just not my thing, I respect that you like it but I prefer this kind of game."
Then see if this polite respective response is met with a polite refined:
"Okay then peace out."

Because see there is no such thing as rabid fanboys, there are people who get angry when someone harshly insults them and their favourite game unprovoked.
Not true at all. There is most certainly such a thing. Check out the fanbase for Twilight, for example.

Quickening666

May 7, 2008
sumanoskae said:
Just check the endless list of videos You Tube in which someone will say halo is overrated but give no real valid explanation as to why. It seems to me that they just say so because they want to stand out from the crowd, or some other egotistical bullshit like that, point is they dont hate it because its bad they hate it because they like the idea of hating it, well that and fanboyisim, but saying fanboys are a cause of hate is sort of like saying cancer can cause death. OH and people who look at Yahtzee as the Jesus Christ of video games and take his every word as one of the ten commandments
So no-one who dislikes Halo could possibly have a valid reason for it and are all misguided. Right. Fanboy.

No it's because the Halo games are nothing special but the fanboys seem to believe that nothing else exists in the universe and that it genuinely deserves perfect scores. So where there exists a game that a lot of people could ignore for being "alright", it instead becomes a series people love to hate because the fanboys are so annoying.

Geo Da Sponge

May 14, 2008
Quickening666 said:
sumanoskae said:
So no-one who dislikes Halo could possibly have a valid reason for it and are all misguided. Right. Fanboy.

No it's because the Halo games are nothing special but the fanboys seem to believe that nothing else exists in the universe and that it genuinely deserves perfect scores. So where there exists a game that a lot of people could ignore for being "alright", it instead becomes a series people love to hate because the fanboys are so annoying.
He's not saying that. He's just saying that there's a lot of people who don't come up with decent reasons, not that it's impossible. That's the main source of annoyance as I find it; that a large number of people start hating Halo without a decent argument, thus proving themselves worse than any fanboy and simultaneously drowning out any worthwhile argument.

But if you honestly believe he's a fanboy because he thinks there's (suprise, suprise) idiots on youTube, then I can't see where you're coming from.

IrrelevantTangent

Oct 4, 2008
Because the ultimate goal of trolls and fanboys is to piss off/annoy as many people as physically/humanly possible, and since Halo has a big fanbase, it's an easy target.

Shamanic Enzan

Dec 17, 2007
It's popular. Some people don't like it and are tired of hearing about it. All this "Console Exclusive" and "Snubbed fans" nonsense is a cover, people just don't like it. Which is cool, but if you ask me what I like and I say "Halo" don't jump down my throat because I probably could do the same for at least one thing you like.

Also trolling, always fun to watch.

Quickening666

May 7, 2008
Geo Da Sponge said:
Quickening666 said:
sumanoskae said:

He's not saying that. He's just saying that there's a lot of people who don't come up with decent reasons, not that it's impossible. That's the main source of annoyance as I find it; that a large number of people start hating Halo without a decent argument, thus proving themselves worse than any fanboy and simultaneously drowning out any worthwhile argument.

But if you honestly believe he's a fanboy because he thinks there's (suprise, suprise) idiots on youTube, then I can't see where you're coming from.
His interpretation of them all is that they dislike it for any other reason that they're genuine. "They don't hate it because it's bad". How does he know?
I hate it because of things like this but the games themselves, well if you've ever played a FPS on a PC before then Halo is nothing special and does nothing new. Is that a good enough reason? Or do I only dislike it because I'm a PC fanboy? Well I'm not because I think the Half-Life games are dull and over-rated to.

Geo Da Sponge

May 14, 2008
Quickening666 said:
Geo Da Sponge said:

His interpretation of them all is that they dislike it for any other reason that they're genuine. "They don't hate it because it's bad". How does he know?
I hate it because of things like this but the games themselves, well if you've ever played a FPS on a PC before then Halo is nothing special and does nothing new. Is that a good enough reason? Or do I only dislike it because I'm a PC fanboy? Well I'm not because I think the Half-Life games are dull and over-rated to.
Well, presumably he knows because he's watched at least a few of them (I hope). There's no need to call him a fanboy just because he's calling out some prepostorous twats on youTube. I mean, if you don't like it, that's fine. You've given a pretty good reason, and I can understand that. The problem starts when people take an opinion like that and start applying it to everyone.

And no one called you a PC 'fanboy', so you don't need to get so defensive.