Why You Should Have Your Eye On Florida

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
No boys in my year were - as far as I was aware - gay. Statistically, given the number of them, I might have expected about three. So whilst it's very plausible with random distribution there were none, I think it's also very likely none of them would dare admit it. And potentially for years after, struggling through unenthusiastic relationships with women because they had been taught that homosexuality was shameful and would make them figures of ridicule. In a way I hope none of them were gay, because it must have been fucking awful for them.
Similar to how (in Europe anyway) there's like no gay football (soccer) players, even though there obviously are, but due to the heavy misogynist atmosphere nobody is actually going to come out. The number 1 football discussion program in the Netherlands was rife with "locker room talk", using 'gay' is an insult, and saying there's no gay football players because gay people don't want to play football.

Recently one of the presentors also talked about sexually assaulting a unconscious woman with a candle, and many laughs were had by the co-hosts. And then a lot of people got mad, and the presentor blamed woke/cancel culture and he took his ball and went home i.e. quit the show instead of apologizing. Sorry, had to get that off my chest.

Reactions: Buyetyen and Agema

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Similar to how (in Europe anyway) there's like no gay football (soccer) players, even though there obviously are, but due to the heavy misogynist atmosphere nobody is actually going to come out.
The first professional footballter to come out I know of, Justin Fashanu in around 1990, was called an outcast by his own brother (another professional footballer), openly abused by major figures in the game including his own team's manager, never offered another full-time contract after he came out, and several years later committed suicide.

So there's a lesson for gay men interested in a football career.

...and saying there's no gay football players because gay people don't want to play football.
In a sense, I can believe this is sort of true. In the sense that most gay people don't want to play football amidst the institutionally virulently homophobic atmosphere of professional football, no matter how much they like playing the game itself. See Justin Fashanu, above.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Kids and young people are more depressed today. That's nothing to do with my personal experience.

Huh? Why is a math problem about racism? And how is determining racial bias about helping people? What problem had anything to do with helping people across a bridge? Why can't it be a discrimination problem about like anything else? Math class isn't about teaching values, it's about teaching math. I grew up on math problems about like apples and trains, nobody I know in my age range is racist and all without math demonstrating racist biases. A better way to teach values is through allegory so it applies to everything vs just one specific thing.
Here's an example of what I thought might be taught in schools that was being misconstrued as attacking white people

Just note, it is not being taught at this time. The Flordian example does not even reach this level. It's also not attacking white people. I think it should absolutely be taught in schools at appropriate age levels. It should be a lesson on the American understanding of freedom

Reactions: BrawlMan

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
Here's an example of what I thought might be taught in schools that was being misconstrued as attacking white people

Just note, it is not being taught at this time. The Flordian example does not even reach this level. It's also not attacking white people. I think it should absolutely be taught in schools at appropriate age levels. It should be a lesson on the American understanding of freedom
I think I learned that in school as I very vaguely recall that, definitely learned the Trail of Tears and smallpox blankets in school. I'm not against teaching anything that actually happened. There's a time and place for things and math is not the time and place for racial discussion or doing a math problem about transmission of smallpox via blankets in Native Americans either. I just went through public school and learned that America was never great because of America. Every great period in America basically happened because we cheated like slavery or Chinese building railroad infrastructure or Europe being decimated by war after WWII and America not having to rebuild or anything and taking advantage of that. Even the Native American population basically being decimated before we even colonized was another thing we just fell into. I every so often bring up as sarcasm when taking areas in a board game that it's Manifest Destiny.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
I think I learned that in school as I very vaguely recall that, definitely learned the Trail of Tears and smallpox blankets in school. I'm not against teaching anything that actually happened. There's a time and place for things and math is not the time and place for racial discussion or doing a math problem about transmission of smallpox via blankets in Native Americans either. I just went through public school and learned that America was never great because of America. Every great period in America basically happened because we cheated like slavery or Chinese building railroad infrastructure or Europe being decimated by war after WWII and America not having to rebuild or anything and taking advantage of that. Even the Native American population basically being decimated before we even colonized was another thing we just fell into. I every so often bring up as sarcasm when taking areas in a board game that it's Manifest Destiny.
Read the math question

Now that I've had some time to think about the math question, I have a slightly different opinion

It says that racism exists. That's all that's being taught. Go ahead and be offended. I'll go ahead and say your being ridiculous (this part is not new opinion)

Here's what's new: the table/stats should be sucritinized by everyone to make sure anything being said about different groups is true. This is incredibly important skills and processes no matter what political allegiance you have. Particularly on the subject of racism (and all other isms)

I think this question should be MANDATORY for all classes across the country at that grade (I assume 10 or 11). Being able to read and understand how tables and data are presented is really important, especially hot button topics. (If you want to paraphrase the inital sentence, Im very in favour of that. I think that's poorly written)

And again, thanks for showing me this evidence. Because I've been looking for proof DeSantis isn't doing things that are in the law and deliberately and illegally targeting people and ideas and you gave it to me

Reactions: Buyetyen

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
DeSantis is just doing Greg Abbott nonsense. Eg. doing border checks after the Federal border checks because clearly they did something wrong. Because they're Federals...

and then finding very little and expost pretending it works despite... because they didnt find anything. Thus they are doing very little except wasting billions to score political points

Reactions: crimson5pheonix

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
I should say, that I agree with the history side of what you said here

Here is another example of what's happening with this Maths question

Joe Rogan goes on a rant about teachers trying to teach 7 year olds about sex. I understand why he's angry, I agree they should not be taught about sex

But... what's this rant got to do with homosexuality? Sure, the end point there is sex but so is heterosexuality. But we have a lot of heterosexuality that is taught in schools without any need to teach sex

How does Rogan make this logic leap? DeSantis keep saying that teaching about gay people existing is grooming. Then he wonders why people call his bill the Don't Say Gay bill

The best part: DeSantis has provided no proof that grade 3 and unders are taught sex.

It's just McCarthyism again. Turning something normal into something evil. Turning a question that has the word racism into attacking white people

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Joe Rogan goes on a rant about teachers trying to teach 7 year olds about sex. I understand why he's angry, I agree they should not be taught about sex

But... what's this rant got to do with homosexuality? Sure, the end point there is sex but so is heterosexuality. But we have a lot of heterosexuality that is taught in schools without any need to teach sex
People like Joe Rogan are terrified that teachers might teach kids that homosexuals are ordinary people like everyone else. That goes against the "homosexuals are depraved pedophiles who deserve to be violently murdered" worldview.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
People like Joe Rogan are terrified that teachers might teach kids that homosexuals are ordinary people like everyone else. That goes against the "homosexuals are depraved pedophiles who deserve to be violently murdered" worldview.
This is the same asshole who complains about how people are "too sensitive and can't take criticism". Yet he will act like a total biatch, because certain groups of people are not the monsters, nor the horrible stereotypes they're "supposed to be". Rogan is just another biatch-in-a-boxstand.

Cheetodust

Elite Member
Jun 2, 2020
Country
Ireland
This is the same asshole who complains about how people are "too sensitive and can't take criticism". Yet he will act like a total biatch, because certain groups of people are not the monsters, nor the horrible stereotypes they're "supposed to be". Rogan is just another biatch-in-a-boxstand.
Joe Rogan stopped growing at 5'6", never got over it and now we all have to deal with the fallout. It sucks.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
Here's what's new: the table/stats should be sucritinized by everyone to make sure anything being said about different groups is true.
But the data is not some objective data to be gathered like how far the sun is from the earth. They gathered the data by asking questions and then decided racism based on the answers. Most people would probably say that driving through a black neighborhood makes them feel more uneasy than a white neighborhood but that doesn't mean they are racist, though a lot would also lie because they don't want to come off as racist either. Black neighborhoods are usually lower income and have more crime, it's the more crime that makes people uneasy not that the people are black. And, yes, legit racists could use that excuse as well, but it's hard to tell if someone is usually that excuse as "code" vs just being uneasy over higher crime. So if that question was asked in the survey, interpreting that response as being racist can give flawed data and it can be one group is just more honest vs actually being more racist.

I should say, that I agree with the history side of what you said here

Here is another example of what's happening with this Maths question

How does Rogan make this logic leap? DeSantis keep saying that teaching about gay people existing is grooming. Then he wonders why people call his bill the Don't Say Gay bill

The best part: DeSantis has provided no proof that grade 3 and unders are taught sex.

It's just McCarthyism again. Turning something normal into something evil. Turning a question that has the word racism into attacking white people
What did Joe Rogan actually say that is so bad (in the short clip they showed)? He really just pointed out that the "don't say gay" law is also a "don't say straight" law as well. That video show is so skewed, they immediately try to paint Rogan as right-wing saying he always talks about republican talking points, Rogan is not a conservative.

What does it matter if there's no proof that grade 3 and under were taught sex? Should there not be a law against murder if there were no recorded murders? You can make a law that says you can't say someone's name backwards, what does it matter as it effectively does nothing (outside of banning names that are palindromes I guess)? If no one was teaching kids this, then it effectively does nothing so why does anyone care? That's literally my point with the Colorado abortion thread, why are people always bitching about R laws that do nothing but not D laws that do nothing? You're all squabbling over the most minute things and not staying on point with stuff that actually matters like say healthcare reform.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Good fucking job, Florida

A math problem that has people helping other people got a textbook banned

Of course it went way further than what the law says

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
You have to make people feel threatened if you want them to give up their freedoms to you. "Schools want to make your children trans for reasons" is easily one of the weakest arguments I've ever heard, but sadly there's a lot of parents terrified that Johnny might turn into Jennie.
Isn't this just the latest iteration of the nonsense from a couple of decades back, that kids might all suddenly decide to become gay if society allows people to discuss homosexuality in any terms except frothing demonisation?

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
You have to make people feel threatened if you want them to give up their freedoms to you. "Schools want to make your children trans for reasons" is easily one of the weakest arguments I've ever heard, but sadly there's a lot of parents terrified that Johnny might turn into Jennie.
I think people just enjoy being outrage and will actively seek it out, on the flip side politician need to justify their existence and so need to come up with "problem" they can "solve". Kinda like those infomercial where the people using the product are hilarious inept at using simple product and then out come the amazing product with pointless feature that fixes those non issues, and yet people will watch those and buy the product.

Plus, people like to think that they're the little people being ostracized by nebulous evil group with agenda. This way they can cast their failures as being the results of standing up to those evil group rather than their own failing. It also help group cohesion to exclude certain people (ie. the "no girl allowed" effect). And I think some people just need to hate something to live their life, like those pyramid of need where love is usually considered one the basic need, so is hate for them.

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
Isn't this just the latest iteration of the nonsense from a couple of decades back, that kids might all suddenly decide to become gay if society allows people to discuss homosexuality in any terms except frothing demonisation?
Not at all. "Gay" has a pretty well agreed upon definition. Whether one approves or disapproves, nobody has to upend language or philosophy to agree to the definition. To teach students about the concept of trans requires throwing away biological definitions for man and woman, and then promulgating the old Gnostic idea that one's true, pure self exists distinct from but anchored to our miserable bodies. The latter, I would suggest, has genuine potential to harm children.