Wii HD Could Crush PS3 Comeback, Says Pachter

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
orannis62 said:
Wait, Nintendo is already in first place, isn't it? Wasn't the issue whether or not Sony would over take Microsoft? How does Nintendo factor in?
I just don't know any more. Pachter is back to talking out of his ass it seems.

Link Kadeshi

Oct 17, 2008
Screw this, I'm selling my 360, Wii, all my previous systems, including my NES, and PS2 (Stupid ex stole my PS1. Sorry, PC, Wii has a browser, so you're going too, I only need one console! Oh, Wii HD Plus Super Ultra Edition, why don't you stay in my room.... Do you think it'd be ok if I kept my DS? It's not a console, technically.... Right? I promise, though, I wont buy another!

Link Kadeshi

Oct 17, 2008
orannis62 said:
Wait, Nintendo is already in first place, isn't it? Wasn't the issue whether or not Sony would over take Microsoft? How does Nintendo factor in?
Oh, the concept is quite simple. Nintendo would essentially help those who want to spend more money, spend it on the Wii HD, instead of the PS3. Not all, sure, but enough. At least in his theory. Assuming the Wii HD had the public's love, sure it'd make sense. The PS3 is expensive, and most of the same games it plays are on the 360. OH! The Wii plays DVD's and higher quality Wii Sports?!?! GET ME THAT!
Sorry, I got carried away by the fact that I'm easily manipulated.

m_jim

Jan 14, 2008
ChromeAlchemist said:
Right:

A gimped version of a title does not mean that modern titles cannot be played on the Wii. Scores don't matter about whether the game is playable or not. What you said was 'You still can't control most modern day chart-toppers (your CoD's, Halo's, Metal Gear's, God of War's, etc.) with the TV remote controller. '

Which, in a sense, is nonsense. Call of duty still played fine. The Conduit has some of the best controls to date. Medal Of Honour Heroes 2 as well and Red Steel 2 is coming, which seems to have promising control. If you are trying to say that the Wii can't play games on the other consoles because of it's controller, for the most part this isn't true, at least for the titles you stated (the FPSs I mean, the controller is practically made for shooters)

Even when they do flow in, the crowd that don't like such titles won't refuse to buy the console because of that. The Manhunt 2 thing was done for all versions wasn't it? Also it was mainly to do with the stigma of that game being a little too immersive in killing, and the murders being a bit too much, and it getting an AO rating because of it.

Yeah sorry, I'll do that from time to time, I get carried away. Of course we are both correct on that field. ~_~
I brought up the scores to illustrate that when the Wii tried to emulate its big brothers, it stumbled. Still, CoD 3 was 2 years ago. Neither of the last two iterations showed up on Nintendo's box. The Conduit has good buzz about the controls, but only because you have to do all the customization yourself. As for RS2 and MoH:H2, I don't deal in promise...we'll talk once they release.

Yes, I believe that Manhunt 2 was nerfed for the PS2 release as well.

You can't deny that one of the Wii's big selling points is family friendliness. Your average Wii ad shows a nuclear family in the living room, waving their arms and having a good time, or old people playing and having a good time. The message is "this isn't your average gaming console." If these people get the impression that the Wii is a "murder simulator" like the other consoles, I think that they will tune out. I will admit, though, that's just wild speculation.

I was just teasing about the last bit with the hurt feelings...all in good fun, yeah?

BeefSteak

Oct 3, 2007
As someone who just got a Wii for their significant other, I'd be a bit pissed off if Nintendo suddenly offered a new Wii with prettier graphics. I'm not a total graphics whore... but there is a reason that the Wii is hers and the 360 is mine. >.>

FloodOne

Apr 29, 2009
Well.... Nintendo hasn't had solid 3rd party support since 1994, when the SNES was king. Even though there are 50 million Wiis sold, how many well-made, universally praised 3rd party titles are out on it?

Madworld
Resident Evil 4

I'm at a loss to name anything else. And Madworld and RE4 didn't even sell shit for copies.

Nintendo has been drifting, doing their own thing for almost 15 years now, as far as consoles are concerned. They just managed to hit the magic bag this time out. We'll see if their next console can recapture the magic, or will all of the casual buyers/owners just keep their Wii and call it a day?

m_jim

Jan 14, 2008
ChromeAlchemist said:
I'll say this much. Indeed it is worse than Sony's. However voice communication is there, it's in the Wii-Speak device. Friend codes are not necessary to play games online, but they hinder you from certain things like communication depending on the game (see The Conduit), it just seems that Nintendo thought that they could eliminate abuse and paedos. They were wrong on both counts.

The component itself is fine, it just seems to be poorly implemented at times. Mario Kart is seamless, for example, and so was Medal of Honour. Smash Bros can be bad but the problem with this is that it's four different connections. A fix can be made but it will have to be server wise. So if anything, Sony's is less trouble, but I wouldn't call it much better.

Also the minigame collection part confused me.
Why XBL heartily trumps the online experience for Wii, or PS3 for that matter, is because it is a uniform, strictly regulated service. You can't just flip a switch and change the way your company interfaces with the internet. You can host more servers and you can patch bugs, but implementing quality matchmaking, cross game invites, alerts, or a sane friending process is not going to happen without a massive overhaul. Even that would be difficult, though, since the Wii doesn't have the substantial harddrive that its competitors do. I was not aware of the Wii-Speak. Is it any good? I know the PS3 voice chat that I get is absolute garbage as far as quality goes.

Sorry if the part about the minigames was unclear. I was trying to illustrate the difference in experiences between the two consoles.

Valiance

Jan 14, 2009
BeefSteak said:
As someone who just got a Wii for their significant other, I'd be a bit pissed off if Nintendo suddenly offered a new Wii with prettier graphics. I'm not a total graphics whore... but there is a reason that the Wii is hers and the 360 is mine. >.>
graphics make the game right?

Kawaii_Nai

Dec 28, 2008
This article makes some interesting points. I never really thought of Wii HD. I would think if Nintendo goes HD they would do it in a new console specifically for HD graphic games. I like the Wii the way it is now. Not a serious digital home theatre system but a fun gaming console that supports older GameCube games and controllers.

Generator

May 8, 2009
orannis62 said:
I believe what he's saying is that if Nintendo felt like being a bunch of jerks and knocking the PS3 out of the console war completely for no reasonably explored reason, they could. I'm not so sure though, considering the people who don't own a Wii as of now, probably don't because of another reason than just not having HD support. But then again, what do I know? I do own a Wii, after all.

Flunk

Feb 17, 2008
2015? seriously? Who here expects Sony and Microsoft to NOT have replaced their systems by 2015?

The Xbox was released Nov 2001, the 360 followed in Nov 2005 (4 years).
The PS2 was released Oct 2000, The PS3 followed in Nov 2006 (6 years).

We're expected to believe that Microsoft is going to leave it 10 years and Sony 9 years without releasing new consoles? I see a 0% likely hood of that and based on that alone I really can't take anything that this "analyst" says seriously.

Quite seriously, we can expect to see the new generation some time around 2012 (slightly later if the economy doesn't improve).

nova18

Feb 2, 2009
I really hate this Michael Pachter.
I'm pretty sure his job is to make unfounded claims, and so far seems to be a dedicated Sony hater.

But we will see, in the next 5 years, if none of his predictions come true then Im calling bullshit and will personally drive to his house to tell him :)

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
m_jim said:
ChromeAlchemist said:
Right:

A gimped version of a title does not mean that modern titles cannot be played on the Wii. Scores don't matter about whether the game is playable or not. What you said was 'You still can't control most modern day chart-toppers (your CoD's, Halo's, Metal Gear's, God of War's, etc.) with the TV remote controller. '

Which, in a sense, is nonsense. Call of duty still played fine. The Conduit has some of the best controls to date. Medal Of Honour Heroes 2 as well and Red Steel 2 is coming, which seems to have promising control. If you are trying to say that the Wii can't play games on the other consoles because of it's controller, for the most part this isn't true, at least for the titles you stated (the FPSs I mean, the controller is practically made for shooters)

Even when they do flow in, the crowd that don't like such titles won't refuse to buy the console because of that. The Manhunt 2 thing was done for all versions wasn't it? Also it was mainly to do with the stigma of that game being a little too immersive in killing, and the murders being a bit too much, and it getting an AO rating because of it.

Yeah sorry, I'll do that from time to time, I get carried away. Of course we are both correct on that field. ~_~
I brought up the scores to illustrate that when the Wii tried to emulate its big brothers, it stumbled. Still, CoD 3 was 2 years ago. Neither of the last two iterations showed up on Nintendo's box. The Conduit has good buzz about the controls, but only because you have to do all the customization yourself. As for RS2 and MoH:H2, I don't deal in promise...we'll talk once they release.

Yes, I believe that Manhunt 2 was nerfed for the PS2 release as well.

You can't deny that one of the Wii's big selling points is family friendliness. Your average Wii ad shows a nuclear family in the living room, waving their arms and having a good time, or old people playing and having a good time. The message is "this isn't your average gaming console." If these people get the impression that the Wii is a "murder simulator" like the other consoles, I think that they will tune out. I will admit, though, that's just wild speculation.

I was just teasing about the last bit with the hurt feelings...all in good fun, yeah?
MoH H2 was released in 07 I believe, possibly 08. The controls were fairly customiseable, and the aiming was pretty much spot on. RS2 fair enough. Call of Duty 5 came out on the Wii, and Modern Warfare 2 is rumoured, and is possible considering that a modified CoD engine exists for the Wii thanks to CoD 5. It can and will get it's share of multiplat games, it seems.

What I always see on adverts is that, but what I always hear from Nintendo is that they want EVERYONE to play their console, not just families, everyone. I believe it is family friendly in the sense that it caters to that section of gamers as well, not that it doesn't have 'any of those nasty murder simulators' like the others. I doubt they would tune out because of a section of games, if that were the case then Natal will die on it's back (and I don't think it will).

And oh yes, all in good fun ;¬)

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
m_jim said:
ChromeAlchemist said:
I'll say this much. Indeed it is worse than Sony's. However voice communication is there, it's in the Wii-Speak device. Friend codes are not necessary to play games online, but they hinder you from certain things like communication depending on the game (see The Conduit), it just seems that Nintendo thought that they could eliminate abuse and paedos. They were wrong on both counts.

The component itself is fine, it just seems to be poorly implemented at times. Mario Kart is seamless, for example, and so was Medal of Honour. Smash Bros can be bad but the problem with this is that it's four different connections. A fix can be made but it will have to be server wise. So if anything, Sony's is less trouble, but I wouldn't call it much better.

Also the minigame collection part confused me.
Why XBL heartily trumps the online experience for Wii, or PS3 for that matter, is because it is a uniform, strictly regulated service. You can't just flip a switch and change the way your company interfaces with the internet. You can host more servers and you can patch bugs, but implementing quality matchmaking, cross game invites, alerts, or a sane friending process is not going to happen without a massive overhaul. Even that would be difficult, though, since the Wii doesn't have the substantial harddrive that its competitors do. I was not aware of the Wii-Speak. Is it any good? I know the PS3 voice chat that I get is absolute garbage as far as quality goes.

Sorry if the part about the minigames was unclear. I was trying to illustrate the difference in experiences between the two consoles.
Ah I see. I don't see the Wii as a minigame oriented experience, but each to their own.

XBL is easily the best online service besides the PC. What I was talking about with fixes and whatnot only really applied for Smash Bros. The service itself, like I was saying, is good but dependant on the games.

The Conduit features a matchmaking system it seems, and Medal Of Honour Heroes 2 featured a lobby system and messaging system via their own EA nation servers. Yes the Wii's online service itself is a simple shell to house online games, but at the same time the developers themselves can also make an effort. I don't think it should be effort on one side's part though, both should make an effort. On Nintendo's side, I don't see why they couldn't release a firmware update that has some kind of online service similar to the other two consoles, or at least some kind of bastard child. They have channels that kind of emulate it, but only some features. Either way it's not as good as XBL.

The Wii Speak device has been said to be good in games I've heard of, but not games I want to play. The thing is it's not a headset, it's a microphone that sits atop your tv and picks up your speech from where you are sitting. In games like animal crossing, it seems to work fine, however that game doesn't have gunfire and explosions, like The Conduit or similar games, and I am wondering if this will echo at all. I am going to try it once I buy the game because I am interested in how it will end up. Worst comes to worst I have headphones.

Izerous

Dec 15, 2008
A Wii Plus HD would cost as much as a 360 or PS3. The lack of true HD support is one of the things that cuts the cost of the system. Giving it true HD support would throw it's price tag right in the ring with the PS3 and 360. I don't see it doing that well.

LewsTherin

Jun 22, 2008
Since when has the 360 been beating out the Wii in console sales?

If the Wii gets HD support I just might pay attention to it again.

Firia

Sep 17, 2007
It's hard enough to make predictions with exhisting tech. I'd hate to speculate the what-ifs behind tech that is only theoretical at this stage. Lets talk again when there is a WII HD.