Wii HD Could Crush PS3 Comeback, Says Pachter

DM.

Mar 27, 2009
First you get the money, and so on and so forth.

I don't really see the Wii HD doing well, Unless the Wii HD is the next console.

In that case THEY REALLY REALLY NEED TO CHANGE THE NAME BACK TO THE REVOLUTION!

Aries_Split

May 12, 2008
Well, this whole argument, it's retarded.

Cause like, the Wii and the PS3 fill different Niches.

The Niche of the Wii is to be good with kids and old people.

The ps3 is for people who want something a little more mature.

just cause somethings HD doesn't mean its more or less accessible or hardcore though i hate using that term.

Sixties Spidey

Elite Member
Jan 24, 2008
Fuck that. I want Nintendo to develop a new Wii remote with Motionplus actually INSIDE IT. That'd actually make mine and Yahtzee's most common complaint about the thing actually resolved.

Aries_Split said:
Well, this whole argument, it's retarded.

Cause like, the Wii and the PS3 fill different Niches.

The Niche of the Wii is to be good with kids and old people.

The ps3 is for people who want something a little more mature.

just cause somethings HD doesn't mean its more or less accessible or hardcore though i hate using that term.
The Wii's niche that you mentioned is starting to close up a bit more. Games for the thing worth trying out are starting to grow, so give it maybe... a year, and hopefully that niche will change a bit.

Talendra

Hail, Ilpalazzo!
Jan 26, 2009
Indigo_Dingo said:
Since when does one denote the other?
Increasing the performance of the Wii would mean it would cost more to make, therefor not making it as cost effective.
Nintendo are not going to pay more to build the console and still charge you the same amount.

If you mean the artistic graphics vs realistic, it is just that the less power means that they do need to be more arty to make the visuals look good. It is just my preference and I don't offer it as a reason for the Wii to not go HD, just as an aside to the main topic.

KSarty

Aug 5, 2008
tenlong said:
If i wanted a hd game system i play a 360 or ps3. I play the wii for games that only the wii can do . I don't play the wii for state of the art graphics. On side note has this guy ever been right?
This. The audience the Wii is marketed to the most, are the people that aren't that interested in super-HD video games.

Brotherofwill

Jan 25, 2009
Man, this is like a little kid not doing enough research and then just scribbling some stupid and rushed answer to a homework question. I expect more from analysts.

whaleswiththumbs

Feb 13, 2009
I'd buy it, Of course I think that the PC is he last console, even though you'll be buying it for years and years.

lol PS3 wll be Wii Plus HD's hoe.

WraithGadra

Dec 3, 2007
FloodOne said:
Well.... Nintendo hasn't had solid 3rd party support since 1994, when the SNES was king. Even though there are 50 million Wiis sold, how many well-made, universally praised 3rd party titles are out on it?

Madworld
Resident Evil 4

I'm at a loss to name anything else. And Madworld and RE4 didn't even sell shit for copies.

Nintendo has been drifting, doing their own thing for almost 15 years now, as far as consoles are concerned. They just managed to hit the magic bag this time out. We'll see if their next console can recapture the magic, or will all of the casual buyers/owners just keep their Wii and call it a day?
Of course, there are plenty of well-made third-party games such as Klonoa, Boom Blox, Boom Blox Bash Party, Marble Saga Kororinpa, The Conduit, De Blob, Dokapon Kingdom, Elebits, Geometry Wars Galaxies, Zack and Wiki, Guilty Gear ^ Core, The Munchables, No More Heroes, Okami, Pro Evolution Soccer 2009, Puzzle Quest, Rayman Raving Rabbids, Resident Evil Umbrella Chronicles, Sonic and The Black Knight, Tales of Symphonia Dawn of the New World, Trauma Center Second Opinion and Trauma Center New Blood. The problem is that no one wants to go looking for a good game.

On Pachter's words, where is this "push" in PS3 sales going to come from? Why do people keep predicting such a thing with no evidence to support it?

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Patcher, for god's sake, make up your mind!

First you say the PSP Go! is a ripoff, then you say you didn't mean it that way, then you say the PS3 will make a comeback sometime in the near future then you say "nope, Nintendo will stop that!" or something.

Make up your damn mind! Is the PS3 going to make a comeback or isn't it? Not that it matters what an analyst thinks, I just like consistency.

Personally though I don't think a "Wii HD" would change much. The Wii is already percieved as a family console meant for everybody, not a sort of technology whore with HDMI or 7.1 surround sound capabilities. While a "Wii HD" probably would boost sales a bit, I doubt that it would do much. After all, they'd still be in 1st place, so I don't see why a "Wii HD" would change Sony possibly getting in second.

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
m_jim said:
ChromeAlchemist said:
MoH H2 was released in 07 I believe, possibly 08. The controls were fairly customiseable, and the aiming was pretty much spot on. RS2 fair enough. Call of Duty 5 came out on the Wii, and Modern Warfare 2 is rumoured, and is possible considering that a modified CoD engine exists for the Wii thanks to CoD 5. It can and will get it's share of multiplat games, it seems.

What I always see on adverts is that, but what I always hear from Nintendo is that they want EVERYONE to play their console, not just families, everyone. I believe it is family friendly in the sense that it caters to that section of gamers as well, not that it doesn't have 'any of those nasty murder simulators' like the others. I doubt they would tune out because of a section of games, if that were the case then Natal will die on it's back (and I don't think it will).

And oh yes, all in good fun ;¬)
Okay, you I'll give you that point. I think we are dancing around the wrong issue, though. What would be the true advantage of a High Definition Wii? The video output is limited by the horsepower of the system, which comes nowhere close to the PS3/X360. Twilight Princess and Okami both looked good, but for entirely different reasons than the new God of War, for example. For them, artistic direction, not visual fidelity, was the key. Trying to compete with two machines that outperform it, technologically, is a totally different problem.

If Nintendo wanted to fully exploit an HD machine, they would have to increase the power of their machine, yes? Then, they would have the twofold problem of 1) building hi-res games that wouldn't run on old Wii's and 2) trying to get early adopters to upgrade to a new system. I think that if Nintendo tried to break into the HD market, it would be more trouble than it is worth.
Hahahaha....

Allow me to quote myself on the first page...

ChromeAlchemist said:
Pendragon9 said:
Yep. And now this entire thread will be filled with "omg this guy is totally right! I feel bad for doubting him! Sony sux!!!11!1"

If someone makes such a post, just know I called it.
What website did you think you were on? Most will disagree, followed by some kind of Wii bashing.

As for myself, people have been telling me how the benefits of a HD compatible Wii is axiomatic, but I still don't understand. A handful of games would truly look better on the Wii would they not? Surely a higher definition would mean that it would point out the shortcomings visually also? If a lot of developers put half assed work in Surely a higher output would make games look worse.

Perhaps someone should fill me in before I continue, am I not right?

Also the lower porting cost is interesting, it makes his claims hold some kind of weight. But I don't think there will be such an upgrade of a console. The Wii doesn't look like a console designed to last a decade in my eyes.
And just like that, our debate ends? It has been interesting. ;¬)

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
Jumplion said:
Patcher, for god's sake, make up your mind!

First you say the PSP Go! is a ripoff, then you say you didn't mean it that way, then you say the PS3 will make a comeback sometime in the near future then you say "nope, Nintendo will stop that!" or something.

Make up your damn mind! Is the PS3 going to make a comeback or isn't it? Not that it matters what an analyst thinks, I just like consistency.
I think his job is probably in danger, so he just keeps spouting nonsense till people are satisfied (or tired). But PSP Go! was his personal opinion, and he seems to believe he isn't allowed such a thing.

Eruanno

Captain Hammer
Aug 14, 2008
This is still Nintendo we're talking about. All we would get in the end is to see Mario bounce around with a more detailed mustache in Super-Duper Mario Universe IIV.

nipsen

Sep 20, 2008
..Yeah, almost as good as their last prediction: "I, ah, we're going to present you now with a very scientific sounding term, n-1, allright. And then we're going to pull a number out of a hat, like 2012, and then scientifically analyse ourselves down to how the breaking point for consoles is 2012-1 - namely 2011. No, dude, I don't know what it means, it's scientific!".

DrDeath3191

Mar 11, 2009
I doubt that they will release a new console. That would just piss us off more. However, it is entirely possible that they could create an add-on device which simply acts as the GPU of the console. However, I don't think this would be an entirely viable option either; you need to charge quite a bit in order to profit from that, and I don't think anyone will buy it. Especially not the casual gamers, who make up the majority of their consumer base. So, I disagree. There will not be an HD ready Wii by 2010.