Wii Owners Play Console Least, Says Nielsen

thatstheguy

Dec 27, 2008
I still play with my Wii often. Granted, mostly virtual console and WiiWare games, but I still like some of the retail games. Even then, I'm not a huge fan Wii.

P.S. Can we all stop making "my Wii collects dust" or "when (insert game here) comes out, I can finally dust off my Wii" jokes. Not that I'm a Nintendo fanboy, it's just that it's really not funny or clever anymore, and the amount of times people say the latter, you'd think they'd play their Wii a lot more often.

Robert632

May 11, 2009
this article is just baiting people to bash the ii some more.(not to assume everyone's bashing it per-say, i just like to say someone is basing something all the time.).

dukethepcdr

May 9, 2008
What's the big deal with Nielsen ratings anyway? I don't know about you, but it's been years since I've gotten any of those Nielsen things to fill out about my TV or radio use. I've never gotten one about video game consoles. I didn't even know Nielsen had a website either. Who on the Escapist has filled out anything for the Nielsen organization about your gaming habits? Those who did, did you fill them out completely and accurately? I remember goofing around with the TV and radio ones and putting all kinds of silly things on there like saying I listened to NPR for 100 hours straight when I rarely ever listen to it (can't stand the ultra-liberal drivel on that station. What a waste of tax money!) I also put down watching Saturday Night Live on Monday nights and stuff like that. I bet I'm not the only one either.

Polls that you see in the news are pretty much worthless. They don't sample a large enough percentage of any group to really be accurate and there's nothing to prevent those who are polled from lying or telling the pollster what they think they want to hear.

ShadowKatt

Mar 19, 2009
CantFaketheFunk said:
Kind of boggles the mind for a moment, right?
No, no, not really. The Wii sucks, Nintendo sucks, they've been surviving by riding marios backside into the ground since the mid 90s and it's finally catching up to them. Hopefully, the fanbase will drop right out from under them, the company will go bankrupt and collapse, get sold off to someone who knows how to run an entertainment company, and nintendo will rise back up to be the top dog in the console wars again.

I mean honestly, I love the playstaion more than any other console, but can anyone give a decent excuse why nintendo who's been doing this since the 1980s shouldn't be the top game maker out there?

mikecoulter

Elite Member
Dec 27, 2008
The Gamecube is being played more? Even with the Wii's backwards compatibility? Harhar, hoho.

randomrob

Aug 5, 2009
I don't play my Wii because there are no really good games for it that weren't done better on the Gamecube and N64.

xpacerx

Feb 25, 2009
Um yeah look at their core audience... they haven't bought a console since the NES cause they don't play video games.

lewiswhitling

May 18, 2009
Misnomer said:
What? A console that sometimes requires physical activity and has limited online play does not get played as much as Xbox360 with its players that have a permanent butt dent in their sofas? You don't say.

Since it is a percentage as many have pointed out, the non-hardcore gamers who do not spend 6 hours in a day grinding the Skorpion so they can get the Gold Uzi skin on COD4 are quite likely to contribute to the Wiis lower rating. Perhaps there are people playing the Wii for a reasonable time. Maybe even these are people who have not gamed before so the Wii has actually increased the number of total hours gaming by adding participants.

Le Gasp!

Next thing you know someone will tell me that Escapist posters flame anything having to do with Wii with the same comments every time.

Say it ain't so...
Very true - from my experience at least. Ive seen many more people who i never expected to play a game of any sort, being seduced by the Wii's easy charms, than "hardcore" gamers playing the PS3.

It's so incredibly elitist to just consign the Wii to the dump because your own particular take on game quality is different, like people who exclusively read Jane Austen and Dickens, sneering at sci-fi. It's all literature fgs! And you forget that many PC gamers have been saying the same thing about consoles up to this day... which is entirely justified in my opinion :p

Danzaivar

Jul 13, 2004
HardRockSamurai said:
It figures. "Casual" and "Neglect" are two words with very little in common; that is, until Nintendo brought them together.
You're joking right?

Pillypill

Aug 7, 2009
I had a wii, sold it got a ps3 from a mate, so now i have 360 and ps3, why would i want a wii? infact why would anyone want a wii, nintendo should just sell it's best games E.g zelda metroid to PROPER next gen consoles.

Quaidis

Jun 1, 2008
Wait a moment while I read over page 2......

Bah, nothing new or interesting. Just more 'buying into the flame bait' comments.

Oh wait, here's a good one:

dukethepcdr said:
What's the big deal with Nielsen ratings anyway? I don't know about you, but it's been years since I've gotten any of those Nielsen things to fill out about my TV or radio use. I've never gotten one about video game consoles. I didn't even know Nielsen had a website either. Who on the Escapist has filled out anything for the Nielsen organization about your gaming habits? Those who did, did you fill them out completely and accurately? I remember goofing around with the TV and radio ones and putting all kinds of silly things on there like saying I listened to NPR for 100 hours straight when I rarely ever listen to it (can't stand the ultra-liberal drivel on that station. What a waste of tax money!) I also put down watching Saturday Night Live on Monday nights and stuff like that. I bet I'm not the only one either.

Polls that you see in the news are pretty much worthless. They don't sample a large enough percentage of any group to really be accurate and there's nothing to prevent those who are polled from lying or telling the pollster what they think they want to hear.
That about sums up how I feel over the whole thing. Most of what I could say about this would be repeating dukethepcdr word for word.

Matu Flp Krwfe

Apr 1, 2009
CantFaketheFunk said:
A low percentage doesn't necessarily mean a low amount of total minutes played, especially given the massive install base that the Wii enjoys.
But the problem at hand, for the Wii, isn't with the amalgomation of all minutes played by all users but the precentage of users that are actively engaged with the system.

redavenger

Jul 9, 2009
IxionIndustries said:
My Wii sits on my shelf and collects dust.
Maybe when Majora's Mask comes out in the Wii Store, maybe I'll turn the thing on to look.
It is out. Well, in Europe at least. Finally got to play it :p

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
They need another Super Mario Galaxies.

I might be alone in thinking this but that game was really really well made.

All my consoles are on the shelf getting dusty atm.

But once Arkham Asylum is out I'll check to see if I had a RROD yet ;).

mklnjbh

Mar 22, 2009
Fat Man Spoon said:
HardRockSamurai said:
It figures. "Casual" and "Neglect" are two words with very little in common; that is, until Nintendo brought them together.
I'm laughing at that statement. Thank you.

What was that massive dip for the xboxes in may?
I'd imagine since most xbox and 360 owners are either in college, or (in my case) high school- then a few may have realized "oh shit, I've spent the whole year with FO3, I should find a smart kid and find out everything from the past semester for finals next week" (maybe that was just me)

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
mklnjbh said:
Fat Man Spoon said:
HardRockSamurai said:
I'm laughing at that statement. Thank you.

What was that massive dip for the xboxes in may?
I'd imagine since most xbox and 360 owners are either in college, or (in my case) high school- then a few may have realized "oh shit, I've spent the whole year with FO3, I should find a smart kid and find out everything from the past semester for finals next week" (maybe that was just me)
So that's why my Dorm Mates came over to talk. I figured as much ;p.