Wii Owners Play Console Least, Says Nielsen

anaphysik

Nov 5, 2008
Sevre90210 said:
People still play their gamecubes?
I certainly still do. The Gamecube has lasting games, and the Wii offers little enticement to me (so all it'd get used for is as a GCN disc reader :p ).

Matter of fact, we don't own any of the current generation consoles - making due with quality older ones is plenty fine.

nohorsetown

Dec 8, 2007
Makes perfect sense that "casuals" (housewives, grandparents, etc.) play their console less. That's kinda the point. The most recent Wii ad I saw encouraged exactly that: a woman has breakfast, goes to work, picks up the kids from school, lives a normal busy fulfilling life, and like, does Wii-yoga or something for like 5 minutes. "It fits into your normal healthy non-gamer life!" or something. Of course that's a more appealing image than obsessive-gamer-rage, to the Wii's target market. Still, it kinda baffles me, cuz even tho the console is relatively cheap, it seems like these people are not getting their money's worth when they could just, y'know, watch an exercise video or go for a walk, for free.

That said, I've been borrowing a friend's Wii for a while now. It was gathering dust for him, and even tho I'm not the casual-yoga-supermom type, it only gathers slightly less for me. I agree with what a previous poster said about the lack of standard-controller controls being a turnoff. I just don't like the wiimote very much. I've got a gamecube controller, and I wish more games would let me use it. I play more gamecube games than Wii games on the damn thing. And I hate that creepy peaceful music on the Wii dashboard or whatever-you-call-it when you start the thing up. It's sometimes good for parties, cuz non-gamers will give it a chance, but even with the casual-friendly supposedly "natural" wiimote controls, it's me or one of the other "hardcore" gamers who always wins at Wiisports or Wario Warez or what have you. And within 20 minutes or so the casual types have gotten distracted by something else, and the video game types are bored with the lack of competition and wanna play Tekken or something instead.

*yawn*.. wow, that was a lot of "talking". Sorry about that. Um, so in conclusion, of course no-one plays their Wiis, and of course "vanilla" types buy a lot of them anyway, because that's the point; they buy it so they can not-play-it, so they can feel in-touch with technology but avoid being a crazy, dirty "gamer". And wiimote controls suck. Peace out.

Guitarmasterx7

Day Pig
Mar 16, 2009
Doesn't surprise me. I own all 3 consoles. I play my Xbox or PS3 at least 3-4 times a week. Last time I touched my wii was months ago. I played brawl for a half an hour then got bored.

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
nohorsetown said:
Makes perfect sense that "casuals" (housewives, grandparents, etc.) play their console less. That's kinda the point. The most recent Wii ad I saw encouraged exactly that: a woman has breakfast, goes to work, picks up the kids from school, lives a normal busy fulfilling life, and like, does Wii-yoga or something for like 5 minutes. "It fits into your normal healthy non-gamer life!" or something. Of course that's a more appealing image than obsessive-gamer-rage, to the Wii's target market. Still, it kinda baffles me, cuz even tho the console is relatively cheap, it seems like these people are not getting their money's worth when they could just, y'know, watch an exercise video or go for a walk, for free.

That said, I've been borrowing a friend's Wii for a while now. It was gathering dust for him, and even tho I'm not the casual-yoga-supermom type, it only gathers slightly less for me. I agree with what a previous poster said about the lack of standard-controller controls being a turnoff. I just don't like the wiimote very much. I've got a gamecube controller, and I wish more games would let me use it. I play more gamecube games than Wii games on the damn thing. And I hate that creepy peaceful music on the Wii dashboard or whatever-you-call-it when you start the thing up. It's sometimes good for parties, cuz non-gamers will give it a chance, but even with the casual-friendly supposedly "natural" wiimote controls, it's me or one of the other "hardcore" gamers who always wins at Wiisports or Wario Warez or what have you. And within 20 minutes or so the casual types have gotten distracted by something else, and the video game types are bored with the lack of competition and wanna play Tekken or something instead.

*yawn*.. wow, that was a lot of "talking". Sorry about that. Um, so in conclusion, of course no-one plays their Wiis, and of course "vanilla" types buy a lot of them anyway, because that's the point; they buy it so they can not-play-it, so they can feel in-touch with technology but avoid being a crazy, dirty "gamer". And wiimote controls suck. Peace out.
First: Wow way to necro. But since you did lemme move onto second.

Second: The Wii is played less because the games are much much shorter.

In the time it takes me to finish the average full length Wii game I'll only make it through a third or half of a full length PS3 game.

Someone starts making full games for the Wii and it'll be played more. You literally couldn't play it as much as the competition unless you played the same games multiple times in a row.

nohorsetown

Dec 8, 2007
theultimateend said:
First: Wow way to necro.
Oops, I did, didn't I? My bad. Usually I pay more attention to that sorta thing. Musta ended up here somehow and didn't check the date.. how embarrassing!
theultimateend said:
Second: The Wii is played less because the games are much much shorter.
Not all of the games are so much shorter. I dunno, there seems to be a lotta short games all-around these days. But yeah, considering the swarms of 'casual' games bringing down the average, I suppose you have a point.

GameOverGoblin

Feb 3, 2010
I'm not surprised. i havent touched my wii in 2 years. I actually feel kinda bad because i made my dad stay overnight at gamestop just so I could get a wii.