Wii Sports Resort Sells 500,000 Copies

El Poncho

Techno Hippy will eat your soul!
May 21, 2009
Wii sports resort is pretty good, except in basketball I am too 'tall' so when I shoot I am out of the range of the censor, I have to sit down to play:|

XSA37

Aug 5, 2009
Wow, it's really impressive to hear that Nintendo has had such success with a casual game. The first was rather fun, I can't wait to get a chance to play this new offering.

Mr. Fister

Jun 21, 2008
According to Gamesindustry.biz [http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/wii-sports-resort-sells-over-600-000-copies-in-europe], WiiSports Resort has sold over 600,000 copies in Europe. That puts the total worldwide sales to well over 1 million within 2 weeks. That's great news. I have no doubt that it will surpass 10 million by March 2010, just like Iwata predicts.

not a zaar said:
That is nowhere near record breaking. Halo 3 easily outdid that, and with a much smaller console install base. Maybe the Wii fad is finally fading.
Didn't WiiFit outsell Halo 3 by a very large margin? Besides, games sell differently on the Wii than they do on the 360/PS3. Rather than selling big on the first few days and then greatly dropping off, Wii games sell slowly but steadily, growing to very large numbers within a few years.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
Mr. Fister said:
According to Gamesindustry.biz [http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/wii-sports-resort-sells-over-600-000-copies-in-europe], WiiSports Resort has sold over 600,000 copies in Europe. That puts the total worldwide sales to well over 1 million within 2 weeks. That's great news. I have no doubt that it will surpass 10 million by March 2010, just like Iwata predicts.

not a zaar said:
That is nowhere near record breaking. Halo 3 easily outdid that, and with a much smaller console install base. Maybe the Wii fad is finally fading.
Didn't WiiFit outsell Halo 3 by a very large margin? Besides, games sell differently on the Wii than they do on the 360/PS3. Rather than selling big on the first few days and then greatly dropping off, Wii games sell slowly but steadily, growing to very large numbers within a few years.
Here's [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_video_games#Top_20_console_games_of_all_time] a list of the top selling 20 Console/handheld games of all time.

Feel free to note that the top 9 are for Nintendo consoles. 17 in the list are for Nintendo consoles in fact, with only GTA: San Andreas, Gran Turismo 1 and Gran Turismo 3 breaking into the top 20 for other consoles. Most notably all on the PS2. Neither of Microsoft's consoles have games (PC doesn't count in this list, no matter how you choose to define 'console') are in the top 20.

They're also not including originally bundled games like Wii Sports (which by the way has 'sold' over twice as many as the number 1 in non-originally bundled)

That list is really cool actualy. Starcraft (with/without Broodwar) has sold 11 million copies, making it the top selling RTS ever for the PC.

Aura Guardian

Apr 23, 2008
Xan Krieger said:
Darkrai said:
Farson89 said:
Yahtzee won't be happy.
Xan Krieger said:
This just proves not enough people watch Zero Punctuation.
I'm sure everybody listens to him when he bashes the Wii. Because what he says about the Wii is true right? HAHAHA.
honestly having played on a Wii I can honestly say he doesn't bash it enough.
And what is wrong with the Wii? Are you sure it's not you?

not a zaar said:
Who said this was "record breaking"? A smaller console install base. Really?

Emilie Diabolica said:
Farson89 said:
Yahtzee won't be happy.
So he won't be happy that people don't listen to him. Just because he can't play the Wii doesn't mean everybody can't. What he says isn't law.

Zefar

May 11, 2009
I wonder how many of those who bought it was like "Soccer moms" who don't want their kids to play anything violent.

Btw haven't Wii sold like 24+ millions so a 500 000 sales isn't that impressive. Well maybe for that game it is.