Will Grief for Laughs

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
Doug said:
Amnestic said:
Doug said:
*Quote snip*

I'm saying the hypocracy is in picking your targets because they are 'taking it too seriously' when griefers clearly take it very seriously themselves.
We used to make jokes about my friend Bob at school simply because of the way he overreacted to them. These could be entirely innoccuous or even nonsensical jokes. For instance:

Guy: Why is Bob's mum like a bicycle? 'cos she's got flat tires!

This makes no sense. The guy who said it knew it made no sense, we knew it made no sense but we did it because we knew Bob would get angry and because he needed to chill the fuck out and stop taking such things so seriously.

Picking targets which you know will overreact is common practise. It was all in good fun and we never did it with malicious intent.
Did you never tell him it wasn't malicious?
We made it quite clear ahead of time it wasn't malicious. And really, how could you take such a silly comment like the one I posted seriously?

Not that I think you care about anyone but yourself, of course, and will just chalk this down to 'nerd rage'.
If you think I act the same on the internet as I do in real life, you're sadly mistaken.

theklng

May 1, 2008
Doug said:
Also, you mention "[The internet is a] world with little consequence." Then mention cyberbullying; which has resulted in some people committing sucuide over cyberbullying - yeah, very little consequence given alot of the scum then when on to laugh about what they'd pushed someone too. Griefers are no better than the bullies who, whilst they never hit you, will follow you all the time, spread rumours about you, and generally make your life a living hell. Now, in most online cases, it doesn't matter so much, but in principle, and in cases where griefing turns into a major campaign of bullying and intimidation, it matters.
when i said consequence i meant consequence for the offender. however, if a person chooses to off themselves because of something said on the internet, i'll have to question their mental health.

7ru7h

Jul 8, 2009
Anton P. Nym said:
7ru7h said:
To start my rant off, I will clarify my personal stance on griefing: it is fun as hell, I do it both in game and IRL (to friends and coworkers), and usually when I grief it is because people deserve it. People that I tend to grief are those like anton. Why? Because to them, GAMEZ IZ SERIOUS BUSINESS!!1!!
Wrong. There are other reasons to dislike griefing than its effects on stats. There are those of us who want to play the game listed on the box... and if you want to play some other game, go ahead but do it elsewhere.

If I'm pushing my preferences on you, well, that's because they're the preferences advertised for the game in question. You wanna do something crazy with the game, fine, but do it on your server, not mine. And don't come crying to me if I kick you off; if you think I'm taking the game too seriously and should find another server if I don't like it, especially. I have a low tolerance for hypocrites.
But if YOU are making the game miserable for myself and the OTHER PEOPLE PLAYING, I will NOT hesitate to return the favor. You seem to have this mentality that you are entitled to play the game how you want, but no one else can. I'm not saying I will go out of my way to ruin a game, but if I accidentally shoot at you once and you feel you need to TK me multiple times (I had this happen with a SERIOUS BIZNESS gamer) I will make our team lose to spite you.

Schadenfreude is one of the human race's most prevalent features:
Even more prevalent is bowel movements, but I don't see very many people taking a crap in public and proudly parading it around as an accomplishment. Well, above the age of two anyway. Trumpeting the inevitablity of schadenfreude is roughly as juvenile.

-- Steve
You have obviously never gotten stuck in traffic because of people gawking at a car accident. Also, I never said it was an accomplishment, I said it was prevalent. And seeing how you neatly glossed over the rest of the point I was making since it must have been tl;dnr, I will reiterate it: schadenfreude permeates our culture and our media, and is all but a basic part of life, and ignoring THAT is juvenile.

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
Okay, maybe when I made my "Everyone's a moron" arguement I wasn't clear. GRIEFING CAN BE FUN. People need to learn to lighten the fuck up.

But at the same time, griefers need to learn to be less of a dick sometimes and take amusement from the ACT, not the suffering. The amusing juxtaposition of the rediculous with the mundane, thats classic comedy. Sobbing and yelling isn't comedy.

quiet_samurai

Apr 24, 2009
It's a double edge sword, sometimes it's fucking hilarious and other times it's incredibly annoying. I have fucked with people online before, but I know when enough is enough. Sometimes people deserve it though, I once refused to save all three of my temates in L4D becuase they were all being annoying. One was hurt and lying on the ground, one was grasped by a smoker, and the other was hanging off the bridge in Blood Harvest. The one that is right there at the safehouse. They were mad, I laughed at them.

theklng

May 1, 2008
GonzoGamer said:
I can see why you'd want to think I'm wrong but it's the sad truth.
truth? ...by which proof? you are saying that basically all people who at some point in their lives entertain themselves with the misfortune of others have deep psychological problems? i beg to differ. i mean, why else would the concept of 'wet' humor exist, and have a dozen sitcoms, comedy sketches, shows etc. devoted to just that concept?

while personally i wouldn't say you're far off in your statement, it is a huge assumption to make that everyone has deep rooted mental problems. and by default, huge, proofless assumptions are wrong.

I suppose you're going to say that you and the other griefers don't have overinflated egos either huh? theking?
this alias is one created exclusively for this forum. i usually go by something else, but seeing as my real identity is very easily identifiable, i cannot use that here. so much for being unique. also, the name itself was thought of as a pun (thinking/theklng).

The internet and online games aren't for your entertainment alone, everyone should be allowed to have fun.
but what is fun? fun is a subjective measure to go by in any scale. you can't say, "this was 6 funs worth entertainment, while that other item is only 2 funs worth of entertainment". fun is different for each person, and a game cannot ever guarantee anyone to have fun at any given time during play. it is up to the person playing the game to decide whether or not the game is stimulating; or if there is a balance between stimuli and frustration that is good enough to keep playing.

in addition to that, you'll have to take into account the addiction that players can get from playing an online game, and how people fool themselves into thinking they like something when in fact they don't.

also, by your own words, i should be allowed to have fun; because i per definition am a part of 'everyone'. the statement is hypocritical.

The truth is that no matter what social strata or education level, you can still be attention starved and there are plenty of well off/educated people who still rob and rape. I'm not saying that all (or even any) of the people you played with would've been rapists if they didn't have gamers to harass online, just that they need attention and they don't care what kind of attention they get.
i disagree. taking myself as an example, i was never hungry for attention. i didn't play or grief at any point to fulfill the statement that i wanted attention. it was a tie between entertainment and relief of frustration that made me keep playing for as long as it lasted. in life, i get exhausted if i have to be with people for too long, and i seem to do much better on my own.

your assumption needs only this much to be proven wrong. but to go further with this argument, i want you to look at the demographic of computer users in various games. would you see extrovert, attention starving people sitting home alone by their computers when they could be out getting energized by talking?

i claim that there would be far more introvert types sitting and playing games on the internet; specifically because they do not like being with other people that will eventually drain all their energy. if they got energy from being with people, they would be somewhere among people.

you can read about extrovert/introvert types here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extraversion_and_introversion

While I agree that people who take games too seriously need to be brought down a peg, people who take themselves too seriously do too.

I just dread to see how they pick up women, pulling their hair?
yes, because everything you do on the internet reflects how you act in life. you seem to have completely misunderstood the point by this statement. honestly i wish i had read that first instead of replying in entirety to your post.

Anton P. Nym

Sep 18, 2007
7ru7h said:
Anton P. Nym said:
If I'm pushing my preferences on you, well, that's because they're the preferences advertised for the game in question. You wanna do something crazy with the game, fine, but do it on your server, not mine. And don't come crying to me if I kick you off; if you think I'm taking the game too seriously and should find another server if I don't like it, especially. I have a low tolerance for hypocrites.
But if YOU are making the game miserable for myself and the OTHER PEOPLE PLAYING, I will NOT hesitate to return the favor. You seem to have this mentality that you are entitled to play the game how you want, but no one else can. I'm not saying I will go out of my way to ruin a game, but if I accidentally shoot at you once and you feel you need to TK me multiple times (I had this happen with a SERIOUS BIZNESS gamer) I will make our team lose to spite you.
Again, there are very vew SERIOUS BIZNESS gamers. (I will boot them, too, if they're making things miserable for others on a server I'm admining.) There are plenty of other gamers who just want to play CTF, or Deathmatch, or whatever the listed game type is. My problem with griefers is that they're making false promises; the game listing says CTF, but it's actually ego-wank night for a maladjusted twirp who is at least as miserable to play with as a stat-whore. Griefers are lying to everyone for their own cheap thrills, doubly so if they say it's no big deal because, as I said, in my experience there is no one more butthurt than banned griefer.

Trumpeting the inevitablity of schadenfreude is roughly as juvenile.
You have obviously never gotten stuck in traffic because of people gawking at a car accident. Also, I never said it was an accomplishment, I said it was prevalent. And seeing how you neatly glossed over the rest of the point I was making since it must have been tl;dnr, I will reiterate it: schadenfreude permeates our culture and our media, and is all but a basic part of life, and ignoring THAT is juvenile.
I'm not ignoring it; I'm just not okay with people using it as a justification for actively making things worse instead of better.

-- Steve

7ru7h

Jul 8, 2009
Anton P. Nym said:
7ru7h said:
Anton P. Nym said:
Again, there are very vew SERIOUS BIZNESS gamers. (I will boot them, too, if they're making things miserable for others on a server I'm admining.) There are plenty of other gamers who just want to play CTF, or Deathmatch, or whatever the listed game type is. My problem with griefers is that they're making false promises; the game listing says CTF, but it's actually ego-wank night for a maladjusted twirp who is at least as miserable to play with as a stat-whore. Griefers are lying to everyone for their own cheap thrills, doubly so if they say it's no big deal because, as I said, in my experience there is no one more butthurt than banned griefer.
But the butthurt griefers tend to be few and far between, as most of them that do it, know the consequences. And in all my time playing online, I have run into far more SERIOUS BIZNESS gamers than griefers.

Trumpeting the inevitablity of schadenfreude is roughly as juvenile [as taking a crap in public].
I'm not ignoring it; I'm just not okay with people using it as a justification for actively making things worse instead of better.

-- Steve
I was not using schadenfreude as an excuse. The whole point of the comment I made was to tell all the people who stupidly think that only griefers enjoy it, that they are wrong. Sure it isn't a very good excuse for griefing, and if you are running the server I would have no problem with you banning me if I was griefing, but if you come on to my server and get all butthurt at me because I would rather f*ck with someone than ban them, thats your problem and you need to go somewhere else.

Just because I don't always want to follow your view of the packaging, and my version of fun doesn't coincide with yours, doesn't make me messed up in the head.

SultanP

Mar 15, 2009
John-Joe said:
We even started griefing people in real life, like driving INSANELY slow on the roads 5 in the morning(where people couldn't pass, we were honked at and flipped of when people passed us). And we would sit in the car when the lights turned green, untill the cars behind us started honking in frustration.
Making people late for work? Good move! It's not like some people actually get in trouble for being late to work, no sir! What the hell is wrong with people. I don't like most people, but I sure as hell don't go around trying to make everyone as miserable as possible.

John-Joe said:
I guess I'm an asshole.
If what you've written is true, then you most certainly are. I hope people wisen up and start rewarding that type of behaviour with some jail-time.

Kiutu

Sep 27, 2008
John-Joe said:
Kiutu said:
If you enjoy it so much, I will wish death on you. That is my form of griefing. I will laugh if it happens too. Im cold when I feel I must. And losers like that make me feel I must.
I guess this is what griefers want; make other people hope the griefers die.

Knowing that somewhere in the world, something I wrote or did in a game, has made a person angry, and this person wants me to die, and all I can do is sit here and laugh hysterically at it.

It's a nice feeling.
And because people like you are so patheticly stuck in your world that no matter what people who matter say or do, you will never realize whats wrong with you. Im aware though that this is one example, that you will continue to be worthless and not care and probably see me as some uptight loser. This is also why I dont respond to some people after a point, like after this post with you.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
Kiutu said:
John-Joe said:
Kiutu said:
If you enjoy it so much, I will wish death on you. That is my form of griefing. I will laugh if it happens too. Im cold when I feel I must. And losers like that make me feel I must.

Knowing that somewhere in the world, something I wrote or did in a game, has made a person angry, and this person wants me to die, and all I can do is sit here and laugh hysterically at it.

It's a nice feeling.
And because people like you are so patheticly stuck in your world that no matter what people who matter say or do, you will never realize whats wrong with you. Im aware though that this is one example, that you will continue to be worthless and not care and probably see me as some uptight loser. This is also why I dont respond to some people after a point, like after this post with you.
Another person! Sleipnir's Legs, is it such an unreasonable assumption that people don't act the same online as they do offline? "Worthless"? You judged his entire life from just a few online forum comments?

SultanP said:
If what you've written is true, then you most certainly are. I hope people wisen up and start rewarding that type of behaviour with some jail-time.
Wait, so you're wishing someone else to suffer? That doesn't seem very well-to-do of you. In fact, it's only one step before actual griefing. Intriguing how very close you people who decry us as something akin to sub-human get to doing the very same.

Sobbing and yelling isn't comedy.
People actually cry when others grief them? Seriously?

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
TsunamiWombat said:
GonzoGamer said:
John-Joe said:
GonzoGamer said:
haha, when I try to pick up women, all I do is approach them with a mate and start making fun of them, not being harsh, just untill they kinda think you're a dick.

Works quite often actually.
Really? What kind of women are you trying to pick up, strippers or junkies.

Or stripper junkies?
It's actually been proven time and time again that women overwhelmingly are more attracted to what we would universally label as 'assholes'. By mocking the woman, he places himself in a position of power - telling her in subtle language, he is her equal if not superior, and he is not intimidated by her position of femininity. The alpha male is still instinctively sought after, and in a society like ours it's more a measure of mentality and confidence then physical prowess. I am not saying women are shrinking violets who swoon at every alpha asshole who comes their way - some may be repulsed by what they equate as sophomoric and childish antics, lowering the male's value in their eye's because they see their confidence as a farce - but simply that these are our instinctive drives and that cognitive thought and attention is necessary to counteract them.

We're still monkeys flinging poo at each other and fighting over female's. Deal with it.
While some would argue that humans lost the right to act like animals when we lost our tails.
I give humanity a bit more credit: I'll allow it up to the development of the public library.

I think the fact that it works with many women is a testament to how many women are physically and/or emotionally abused. I don't think a lot of guys realize how common it is.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
theklng said:
GonzoGamer said:
truth? ...by which proof? you are saying that basically all people who at some point in their lives entertain themselves with the misfortune of others have deep psychological problems? i beg to differ. i mean, why else would the concept of 'wet' humor exist, and have a dozen sitcoms, comedy sketches, shows etc. devoted to just that concept?

while personally i wouldn't say you're far off in your statement, it is a huge assumption to make that everyone has deep rooted mental problems. and by default, huge, proofless assumptions are wrong.

I suppose you're going to say that you and the other griefers don't have overinflated egos either huh? theking?
this alias is one created exclusively for this forum. i usually go by something else, but seeing as my real identity is very easily identifiable, i cannot use that here. so much for being unique. also, the name itself was thought of as a pun (thinking/theklng).

The internet and online games aren't for your entertainment alone, everyone should be allowed to have fun.
but what is fun? fun is a subjective measure to go by in any scale. you can't say, "this was 6 funs worth entertainment, while that other item is only 2 funs worth of entertainment". fun is different for each person, and a game cannot ever guarantee anyone to have fun at any given time during play. it is up to the person playing the game to decide whether or not the game is stimulating; or if there is a balance between stimuli and frustration that is good enough to keep playing.

in addition to that, you'll have to take into account the addiction that players can get from playing an online game, and how people fool themselves into thinking they like something when in fact they don't.

also, by your own words, i should be allowed to have fun; because i per definition am a part of 'everyone'. the statement is hypocritical.

The truth is that no matter what social strata or education level, you can still be attention starved and there are plenty of well off/educated people who still rob and rape. I'm not saying that all (or even any) of the people you played with would've been rapists if they didn't have gamers to harass online, just that they need attention and they don't care what kind of attention they get.
i disagree. taking myself as an example, i was never hungry for attention. i didn't play or grief at any point to fulfill the statement that i wanted attention. it was a tie between entertainment and relief of frustration that made me keep playing for as long as it lasted. in life, i get exhausted if i have to be with people for too long, and i seem to do much better on my own.

your assumption needs only this much to be proven wrong. but to go further with this argument, i want you to look at the demographic of computer users in various games. would you see extrovert, attention starving people sitting home alone by their computers when they could be out getting energized by talking?

i claim that there would be far more introvert types sitting and playing games on the internet; specifically because they do not like being with other people that will eventually drain all their energy. if they got energy from being with people, they would be somewhere among people.

you can read about extrovert/introvert types here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extraversion_and_introversion

While I agree that people who take games too seriously need to be brought down a peg, people who take themselves too seriously do too.

yes, because everything you do on the internet reflects how you act in life. you seem to have completely misunderstood the point by this statement. honestly i wish i had read that first instead of replying in entirety to your post.
Holy Wall of text.
I don't have time to read it all.
But it is all the proof I need right here: I must have struck a nerve.

You obviously are starved for attention and have a huge ego.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
GonzoGamer said:
theklng said:
GonzoGamer said:

Holy Wall of text.

Because the way to win an argument is to devolve into childish ad hominems. *eyeroll*

John-Joe

Feb 13, 2009
Hardcore_gamer said:
So ruining other peoples games is fair game now so long as it's being done for the lulz?

Bullshit!
Nobody said anything about fair.
This is completely selfish fun, I don't feel bad for people I grief, I just laugh at them, and I get way more fun out of griefing people in wow than I get out of killing giant monsters.

and I'm sure you're all right when you blame it on: attention craving, deep psychological trauma, having a massive ego, problems at home etc...

I would never do this just because I think it's fucking hilarious pissing people off online, it has to be some kind of problem with my mind or surroundings.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
Amnestic said:
GonzoGamer said:
theklng said:
GonzoGamer said:

Holy Wall of text.

Because the way to win an argument is to devolve into childish ad hominems. *eyeroll*
No.
Because I know that when someone is starved for attention, they aren't going to let it go, they're just going to dig themselves deeper. See above.

Kiutu

Sep 27, 2008
Amnestic said:
Kiutu said:
John-Joe said:
Kiutu said:

It's a nice feeling.
Another person! Sleipnir's Legs, is it such an unreasonable assumption that people don't act the same online as they do offline? "Worthless"? You judged his entire life from just a few online forum comments?
In his head he finds it is ok to be a jerk, even if it is online, it is still being a jerk. There is no place it is ok to want to cause aggrivationt to someone merely for the laughs of yourself.
If he wants to stop being a griefer and give a crap about other people, then maybe he can redeem himself, however he seems fine in his own little douche world.