Will Grief for Laughs

John-Joe

Feb 13, 2009
Kiutu said:
In his head he finds it is ok to be a jerk, even if it is online, it is still being a jerk. There is no place it is ok to want to cause aggrivationt to someone merely for the laughs of yourself.
If he wants to stop being a griefer and give a crap about other people, then maybe he can redeem himself, however he seems fine in his own little douche world.
I think you're putting a little too much into my griefing, it's all done with a smile, it's not like I'm trying to destroy the world with my bad manners and egotistical online behaviour.

and yes, I believe it's ok to be a jerk, but I really don't feel it's THAT bad being a jerk once in a while.

But fair enough, you hate me and you hope I die for having anonymous fun over the internet.
Maybe it's just me who thinks that might be a tad extreme.

Kiutu

Sep 27, 2008
John-Joe said:
Kiutu said:
In his head he finds it is ok to be a jerk, even if it is online, it is still being a jerk. There is no place it is ok to want to cause aggrivationt to someone merely for the laughs of yourself.
If he wants to stop being a griefer and give a crap about other people, then maybe he can redeem himself, however he seems fine in his own little douche world.
I think you're putting a little too much into my griefing, it's all done with a smile, it's not like I'm trying to destroy the world with my bad manners and egotistical online behaviour.

and yes, I believe it's ok to be a jerk, but I really don't feel it's THAT bad being a jerk once in a while.

But fair enough, you hate me and you hope I die for having anonymous fun over the internet.
Maybe it's just me who thinks that might be a tad extreme.
Maybe Im just damaged by mean people too much to have any mercy for them. There are worse people than you, but there is no reason to annoy innocent players. If someone starts with you, you can do what you want in my eye, but if someone is just playing, then why ruin their innocent fun with your guilty fun?

Scary_Bob

Sep 24, 2008
Griefing is like graffiti, if you can be creative and clever whilst doing it, then I don't mind it.

Muphin_Mann

Oct 4, 2007
Griefing is like being a dick....wait. Thats exactly what it is.

It's too bad most sociopaths cant be reformed.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
Kiutu said:
You've obviously never seen a stand up comedian.

Kiutu said:
If someone starts with you, you can do what you want in my eye, but if someone is just playing, then why ruin their innocent fun with your guilty fun?
Guilty? I'm pretty sure with your "You're all jerks" speech you imply that we don't feel guilty.

And generally, griefers don't feel guilty. In fact, we get our rocks off on not feeling bad at all.

Muphin_Mann said:

EVERY GRIEFER IS A SOCIOPATH AND THEY SHOULD ALL DIE.

FACT.

SATIRE.

Muphin_Mann

Oct 4, 2007
Amnestic said:
Kiutu said:

Kiutu said:
If someone starts with you, you can do what you want in my eye, but if someone is just playing, then why ruin their innocent fun with your guilty fun?
Guilty? I'm pretty sure with your "You're all jerks" speech you imply that we don't feel guilty.

And generally, griefers don't feel guilty. In fact, we get our rocks off on not feeling bad at all.

Muphin_Mann said:

FACT.

SATIRE.
Where did you get that "they should all die" bit from?
Just because i dont think sociopathy and malignant narccism can be cured doesnt mean we have an excuse to kill them.

The comment that griefers dont feel guilty seems so suggest you support my assessment of them as mentaly unstable. In online games the 1 in every 20 or 30 people with absolutly no morals or guilt will act like asses.

They do it in relaity too, but if they arnt careful they end up in jail. Or, if you take the whole "Team Killing whenever you can" into the real world then you end up with a needle in your arm. Ask TKer Ted Bundy.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
Muphin_Mann said:
Where did you get that "they should all die" bit from?
Just because i dont think sociopathy and malignant narccism can be cured doesnt mean we have an excuse to kill them.
The rest of the thread, specifically something said here [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.147970?page=2#3421176].

Muphin_Mann said:
The comment that griefers dont feel guilty seems so suggest you support my assessment of them as mentaly unstable. In online games the 1 in every 20 or 30 people with absolutly no morals or guilt will act like asses.
You say mentally unstable, I say able to understand the difference between impact they have in a completely virtual space and in reality. Isn't the ability to grasp the difference between reality and not reality a sign of a more stable brain.

Muphin_Mann said:
They do it in relaity too,
Evidence please.

Muphin_Mann said:
but if they arnt careful they end up in jail. Or, if you take the whole "Team Killing whenever you can" into the real world then you end up with a needle in your arm. Ask TKer Ted Bundy.
You're really comparing every online griefer to a convicted serial killer? To point out how utterly silly that statement in would be a tad redundant I think.

theklng

May 1, 2008
GonzoGamer said:
Holy Wall of text.
I don't have time to read it all.
But it is all the proof I need right here: I must have struck a nerve.

You obviously are starved for attention and have a huge ego.
wait, what? how is that proof of anything? even less so that you don't care about reading it. if you're not going to bother with reading arguments, then don't bother claiming bullshit.

and no, you by no means struck a nerve. i just like to elaborate on posts in order to TEACH people to think before they talk. obviously, i failed.

Kiutu

Sep 27, 2008
Amnestic said:
Kiutu said:

Kiutu said:

Muphin_Mann said:

FACT.

SATIRE.
You're one too? Shame. I actually thought you were a cool person. Too bad you don't care what other people think for that to bother you.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
Kiutu said:
*Quotesnip*

You're one too? Shame. I actually thought you were a cool person. Too bad you don't care what other people think for that to bother you.
I find caring about what others think of me too much is a fast track way to insanity. Oh I care what some people think, but when Johnny xXxHal0zxXxRockxXx on Xbox LIVE pops up telling me how he doesn't like me very much for 'accidentally' tagging him with a plasma grenade, I find it difficult to really feel anything close to remorse.

Conversely, when a lass I've been friends with for five years tells me something about me, I do listen.

Kiutu

Sep 27, 2008
Amnestic said:
Kiutu said:
*Quotesnip*

I find caring about what others think of me too much is a fast track way to insanity. Oh I care what some people think, but when Johnny xXxHal0zxXxRockxXx on Xbox LIVE pops up telling me how he doesn't like me very much for 'accidentally' tagging him with a plasma grenade, I find it difficult to really feel anything close to remorse.

Conversely, when a lass I've been friends with for five years tells me something about me, I do listen.
Its one thing to not care of upsetting someone cause you just did better than they, but to go out of your way to anger or sadden someone makes you a bad person.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
Kiutu said:
Amnestic said:
Kiutu said:
*Quotesnip*

Its one thing to not care of upsetting someone cause you just did better than they, but to go out of your way to anger or sadden someone makes you a bad person.
Then I guess I'm a bad person. In online games, anyway.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
theklng said:
GonzoGamer said:
Holy Wall of text.
I don't have time to read it all.
But it is all the proof I need right here: I must have struck a nerve.

You obviously are starved for attention and have a huge ego.
wait, what? how is that proof of anything? even less so that you don't care about reading it. if you're not going to bother with reading arguments, then don't bother claiming bullshit.

and no, you by no means struck a nerve. i just like to elaborate on posts in order to TEACH people to think before they talk. obviously, i failed.
But you see, I hope (at this point), I don't need to, you keep proving that you are a total egomaniac theking; although I knew that when you seemed proud of your griefing. Then I saw your username.
One thing I've learned about egomaniacs is that only about 5% of them have any reason to be that way.

And this is exactly what I mean, this is the kind of attention you crave. It's why you grief. And you probably do it online because you are in no condition do do it to people's face.

theklng

May 1, 2008
GonzoGamer said:
But you see, I hope (at this point), I don't need to, you keep proving that you are a total egomaniac theking; although I knew that when you seemed proud of your griefing. Then I saw your username.
One thing I've learned about egomaniacs is that only about 5% of them have any reason to be that way.

And this is exactly what I mean, this is the kind of attention you crave. It's why you grief. And you probably do it online because you are in no condition do do it to people's face.
actually i do it to people in real life too, whenever the opportunity arises. i love being the trickster. i don't believe i am craving attention in that sense, i just love a good laugh. like freud once said, "sometimes a tree is just a tree"; psychology doesn't have to be deep. speaking of which, what exactly is your merit for these "deep" psychological diagnoses?

also, whether or not you're serious, this is some damn good trolling. i wish i was this good.

Muphin_Mann

Oct 4, 2007
You say mentally unstable, I say able to understand the difference between impact they have in a completely virtual space and in reality. Isn't the ability to grasp the difference between reality and not reality a sign of a more stable brain.

Evidence please.

You're really comparing every online griefer to a convicted serial killer? To point out how utterly silly that statement in would be a tad redundant I think.
1: Im not talking schizophrenia, although they can cause great harm in any situations if they dont understand the implications of their actions are or in a paranoid state. I was refering to the group of people that range across the labels of Sociopath, Antisocial, Dissocial, and Psychopath. They can tell what their impact is in a virtual space, and are will aware that it causes real stress, annoyance, and in some cases even outright anguish in real people on the other side of the moniter. Which is why they act as they do.

2: Ted Bundy was my evidence that psychopaths hurt people in reality. But if you dont believe its a real problem look here (http://www.behavenet.com/capsules/disorders/antisocialpd.htm) at the criteria set forth (n the DSMIV) to help diagnose one of the four i just listed.
I also suggest reading Snakes in Suits, The Mask of Sanity, or The Sociopath Next Door to get an idea of how pervasive and these sorts of people and the harm they cause is.

3: Ok, how about this. All griefers and trolls who feel no remorse for their actions have the potential to do so. Most wont. I figured you were smart enough to figure out that i wasnt making an absolute statement about what they would do. I was wrong it seems.

Conversely, when a lass I've been friends with for five years tells me something about me, I do listen
But if she told you that you were a horrible person, would you feel ashamed?
If she threatened you with a knife what would you do? Feel fear? Rage? Sorrow?
The fact that to even listen to her (you make no mention of caring for her or of not hurting her) you feel the need to put on the requirment of knowing her for five years....

oppp7

Aug 29, 2009
Ya, I team kill occasionally, but most of the time it's because someone else was and I realized we had no chance of winning so I'd just start killing people (and myself). I seriously don't get people who get really pissed at the team killers because IT'S A GAME.
As for those saying it's a deep-seated emotional problem: I team kill sometimes and I don't have any psychological problems. I think everyone has a little bit of a sadist in them, some more than others, and video games are a fun, easy, and most of the time penalty-less way of tormenting others for fun.
Edit: it's the same as when you pull a prank on people you know, or purposely annoy them.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
Muphin_Mann said:
Conversely, when a lass I've been friends with for five years tells me something about me, I do listen
But if she told you that you were a horrible person, would you feel ashamed?
If she threatened you with a knife what would you do? Feel fear? Rage? Sorrow?
The fact that to even listen to her (you make no mention of caring for her or of not hurting her) you feel the need to put on the requirment of knowing her for five years....
Interesting now that I could smarmily use your own quote right back at you. If I didn't care what she thought, why would I listen? Since I care what she thinks, of course I would feel something if she (for example) said I was a horrible person. It's an example I didn't think I needed to elaborate on. I thought you were smart enough to work that out. It appears I was wrong.

2: Ted Bundy was my evidence that psychopaths hurt people in reality. But if you dont believe its a real problem look here (http://www.behavenet.com/capsules/disorders/antisocialpd.htm) at the criteria set forth (n the DSMIV) to help diagnose one of the four i just listed.
Okay, but I think you'll find it very rare that griefers actually fulfill even 50%+ of those criteria. I know I don't. In fact, I conform to one or two at most. So again, how is this connected to Griefing? Right now you're tossing out numerous psychological analyses (would love to know your credentials for these by the way) and I'm just not seeing the connection.

3: Ok, how about this. All griefers and trolls who feel no remorse for their actions have the potential to do so. Most wont. I figured you were smart enough to figure out that i wasnt making an absolute statement about what they would do. I was wrong it seems.
People have the potential to do just about anything given the right circumstances. What's your point again? You have the potential to do pretty much exactly the same as me, a heartless griefer.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
Anoctris said:
*quotesnip*

Heh, Carebear. How brave are you when you can't turn it off? XP
I play(ed. I did quit.) on a PvE server because that's where my brother was playing when I first joined, and then it was where my guild was playing when I settled in to playing 'properly' during early TBC. What can I say? I like not being stabbed in the back while I'm trying to mine. When my PvP comes on, I expect to get ganked. When their PvP goes on, they should expect the same.

So in answer to your question: No idea. Flying through 0.0 space alone in a Frigate during my brief stint in EVE was kinda scary because everything was bigger and badder than I was, but I didn't see a soul on my way through. But isn't that anxiety part of the thrill of PvP in the first place? I like to think so.