Will someone please explain why hitting a girl is bad but hitting a guy is fine?

eggy32

Nov 19, 2009
For some reason people seem shocked by the fact that I'm as willing to hit a girl as I am to hit a boy, why is this?

Is it not sexist to say that girls cannot be hit by us guys? After all, males and females are apparently equals, so why does this not apply to violence.

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
Males are usually stronger. They can do more damage.

That's the way I look at it anyway.

And it's a societal thing. It has always been worse, so that thought is in people's minds.

eggy32

Nov 19, 2009
Marter said:

That's the way I look at it anyway.

And it's a societal thing. It has always been worse, so that thought is in people's minds.
Usually stronger? What about those of us who aren't stronger? Those of us with weak and flabby arms who can barely bruise a peach?

Durxom

May 12, 2009
Because women are frail and fragile little people that must be handled with care, or they could shatter...umm joking aside..I dunno, I guess just to be chivalrous?

Space Spoons

Aug 21, 2008
Males and females aren't equal. That's not sexism, it's a fact. Men are built stronger and can generally take more punishment, women are built smaller and generally can't. There are exceptions, but for the most part, that's the way it goes.

Besides that, though, it's socially reprehensible. I don't buy into all that "PC for the sake of PC" junk, I was just raised to believe that you don't hit women under any circumstances.

eggy32

Nov 19, 2009
FargoDog said:
There are guys who will their girlfriends for no other reason than to show dominance and blow off steam, because they think they can get away with it. That, in my opinion, is just cruelty.

If a girl is genuinely attacking you there's no reason not to hit her back, but abuse against women is something I can't stand.
Oh I know it's cruelty. I'm not saying men should go around smacking women, I'm just wondering why people are shocked that I'd hit a girl the same as I would hit a boy.

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
eggy32 said:
Usually stronger? What about those of us who aren't stronger? Those of us with weak and flabby arms who can barely bruise a peach?
Missed the second part of my post. It's also drilled into the head of people because society says so. History says that it is worse for a male to hit a woman, so that thought still exists today, no matter if that should be true or not.

And I view any violence, coming from the man or woman bad anyway. You should not be hitting people!

Housebroken Lunatic

Sep 12, 2009
Hitting ANYONE is bad PERIOD, unless one does it in self-defense.

If I feel threatened by a woman (which might not be as likely as me feeling threatened by a man of course, but that doesn't mean it couldn't happen) I will respond with lethal force just as I would do against a man...

warprincenataku

Jan 28, 2010
As a teacher I must say there is no difference between hitting a girl or hitting a boy, especially if they forget their homework. The desired result is the same.

cheftacular

Jan 17, 2009
This whole concept strikes me as a little dumb. I got in trouble at school for smacking a girl who, might I add, is considerably larger than me (in more than one way) AFTER she hit me. I got in trouble for hitting a girl. She didn't get in trouble. I'm getting the sulphuric scent of hipocrisy here - women want to be treated equally, but now when it comes to things NOT in their favour?

MisterShine

Him Diamond
Mar 9, 2010
Women have about only 50% of the upper body strength a male naturally has, and only ~65% in the lower. We're stronger, we're tougher. That's just biology.

This has led to many cultural beliefs that women are always weaker than men, and thus, cannot pose a serious threat. However since we have weapons, that's just not true in all situations. Sure, as long as a girl isn't hitting you in the head, she won't do a lot of damage and going nuts on her is pretty unfair. But if she comes at you with something, I don't see how anyone could have a problem with defending yourself. It's just a left over cultural thing from when women were supposed to be delicate. Of course, most of them weren't even back then but.. that's a whole other topic.

Naheal

Sep 6, 2009
eggy32 said:
After all, males and females are apparently equals
No, we're not.

Marter said:
Physiology supports this. Testosterone helps build muscle mass and, with a greater amount of muscle mass, men can do more damage with a single attack then women can. This is a fairly sweeping generalization, but to say that we're equal is a complete fallacy in this instance. Socially, we might be equal, dependent on culture, but we're not equal physiologically.