Will the Nintendo doomsaying ever end?

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
nope, people will always ***** about Nintendo and cry 'doom' at every misstep they make, even going so far as to ignore other company's that might be in worse shape.

marioandsonic

Nov 28, 2009
People were calling Nintendo to be doomed when the NES was released, thinking the Crash of '83 exposed video games as a passing fad, and would never catch on again.

People were calling Nintendo to be doomed when the SNES was released, thinking that Sega had beaten them to the punch with the Genesis, and Sonic was going to be more popular than Mario.

People were calling Nintendo to be doomed when the N64 was released, because of their refusal to let go of cartridges, that the success of the PS1 would be something Nintendo could never answer back from, and for being branded as the "kiddy system".

People were calling Nintendo to be doomed when the Gamecube and GBA were released, because of the GBA's backlight issues and the Gamecube having poor 3rd-party support.

People were calling Nintendo to be doomed when the DS was released, thinking that the touchscreen gimmick wouldn't catch on, and that the PSP would finally overthrow Nintendo's handheld dominance.

People were calling Nintendo to be doomed when the Wii was released, thinking that the Wiimote was nothing more than a gimmick that would never catch on.

And yet, they're still here.

Hell, I'm sure that happened before back in the 50s and 60s when Nintendo was trying to veer away from being just a Hanafuda card company and branch out to other businesses.

Now, is the Wii U not selling well a problem? Absolutely. Has the rise of smartphones taking a big bite out of the 3DS's market? Sure. Both of those are big issues for Nintendo, and there's other problems the company has to deal it (third-party support, region-locking, online play not as good as PSN or XBLA), but I'm certain Nintendo will eventually find a way to turn those around and keep going.

In summary: As long as Nintendo exists, there will be people saying the sky will fall on them.

EvilRoy

The face I make when I see unguarded pie.
Legacy
Jan 9, 2011
I actually went digging around to try to see all the escapist threads about Nintendo in general, and the grand count within about 4 weeks is...

Articles/News:
A single "Game Theory" video, that was posted recently - but the video was created and posted months ago.
A poorly done news article based on a rumor, that in no way trash talks them.

Gaming Forum:
Two threads complaining about how people are complaining about Nintendo (by the same author, including this thread).

Off Topic Forum:

Unless R&P is made of nothing but Nintendo related threads, I think you may be overplaying how much negative talk there has been on them.

I suppose I could do a more in depth search involving first page or two of every thread within the last while, but I have to be honest here, I doubt I'm going to find anything significant. I honestly think the sin you are currently angry about with isn't that people are being needlessly hard on Nintendo lately, but that people haven't been talking about them enough for you.

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
Gorfias said:
Nowadays, I mostly play on PC. But I'm rooting for Wii U.
You realise that a console that's over 2 years old which doesn't even beat the Xbone constitutes as a failure right? Also, when a library consist of ports from predecessors, it isn't necessarily a positive thing.

Ariseishirou

Aug 24, 2010
Eh? I don't think I've ever actually seen a thread saying that. Just people pointing out that the WiiU is selling like shit (which it is).

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
Ariseishirou said:
Eh? I don't think I've ever actually seen a thread saying that..
If you want, I can create one for you. I honestly don't know what point you're trying to make other than you need confirmation bias to believe something.

It would take a god send (massive, I mean massive price cut) to just get into the leagues of the PS4.

Ariseishirou

Aug 24, 2010
mad825 said:
Ariseishirou said:
If you want, I can create one for you. I honestly don't know what point you're trying to make other than you need confirmation bias to believe something.

It would take a god send (massive, I mean massive price cut) to just get into the leagues of the PS4.
Why would you make a thread about it for me when all you would have to do if this was actually such a huge topic with people constantly doomsaying Nintendo everywhere is link me to a few recent threads doing just that?

The point I'm trying to make is that you seem like your exaggerating, and mostly responding to the voices in your own head to stan for Nintendo than replying to an actual sentiment that is really prevalent out there.

It'd be awfully easy to prove me wrong, so if you don't, I'll assume that yes, that is in fact the case.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Nintendo will always be doomed, Microsoft will always Red Ring, and Playstation is always secretly planning an HD FF7 remake.

These are things each company is known for, and will always be known for.

Michael Wagg

Mar 26, 2012
It will end when people stop talking about it all the time. Nintendo has been around for awhile they aren't going anywhere. I think we as fans should focus on the awesome year the Wii U got, and focus on the upcoming titles.

Radoh

Bans for the Ban God~
Jun 10, 2010
mad825 said:
Ariseishirou said:

Well as... nice? As that would be, there's really no need to go to such lengths considering that Gorfias already posted the sales chart showing that as well as the PS4 is doing, their sales are still being dwarfed by the 3DS and is in fact dominating the entire rest of the market combined.
In the 125 years Nintendo has been in business they have posted 2 years of losses. That's less than 2% of their total years in business where they didn't break even.

COMaestro

Vae Victis!
May 24, 2010
Ariseishirou said:
Eh? I don't think I've ever actually seen a thread saying that. Just people pointing out that the WiiU is selling like shit (which it is).
Exactly! I don't remember the last time I saw a "Nintendo is doomed" thread and only rarely do I still see such a thing mentioned in any thread at all. If the Nintendo fanboys would stop bringing it up themselves I think even those small mentions would stop, at least until some other kind of financial loss for Nintendo occurred, at which point it would start up again.

st0pnsw0p

Nov 23, 2009
Radoh said:
mad825 said:
Ariseishirou said:

Well as... nice? As that would be, there's really no need to go to such lengths considering that Gorfias already posted the sales chart showing that as well as the PS4 is doing, their sales are still being dwarfed by the 3DS and is in fact dominating the entire rest of the market combined.
In the 125 years Nintendo has been in business they have posted 2 years of losses. That's less than 2% of their total years in business where they didn't break even.
Well actually, those are the lifetime sales and 3DS has been out for 2.5 years more than PS4/XBOne, 1.5 years more than Wii U and 1 year more than Vita. It sold that much more because it's been out that much longer. Here's the chart that says how much each system has sold just this year.
[http://www.vgchartz.com]

xaszatm

That Voice in Your Head
Sep 4, 2010
st0pnsw0p said:
Radoh said:
mad825 said:
Ariseishirou said:

Well actually, those are the lifetime sales and 3DS has been out for 2.5 years more than PS4/XBOne, 1.5 years more than Wii U and 1 year more than Vita. It sold that much more because it's been out that much longer. Here's the chart that says how much each system has sold just this year.
[http://www.vgchartz.com]
I'm sorry, but that chart makes zero sense. What exactly do the bars and percentages mean? Why is the Xbox One's 6.1 Million significantly smaller than the 3DS? Why do the percentages equal around 200%? That chart is nothing but a mess. What's the point behind it?

OT: Nintendo is always doomed, always has been and always will be. Nothng short of the company ACTUALLY falling will shut up the naysayers.

NiPah

May 8, 2009
xaszatm said:
st0pnsw0p said:
I'm sorry, but that chart makes zero sense. What exactly do the bars and percentages mean? Why is the Xbox One's 6.1 Million significantly smaller than the 3DS? Why do the percentages equal around 200%? That chart is nothing but a mess. What's the point behind it?

OT: Nintendo is always doomed, always has been and always will be. Nothng short of the company ACTUALLY falling will shut up the naysayers.
The chart is pretty screwed up actually, if you click on the image you get linked to vgcartz which has completely different numbers (I have no idea if those are accurate though).

The current numbers have the Wii-U just shy of the Xbox1, and the PS4 with a substantial lead on both.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
xaszatm said:
NiPah said:
The chart is pretty screwed up actually, if you click on the image you get linked to vgcartz which has completely different numbers (I have no idea if those are accurate though).

The current numbers have the Wii-U just shy of the Xbox1, and the PS4 with a substantial lead on both.
I only just stumbled into this part of the conversation, but the chart seems pretty straightforward to me.

The first three bars show the total unit sales for each of the three current-gen consoles, with the percentages meaning how much of the console market they represent. The latter two bars show the total unit sales for the two primary handhelds and which percentage of the handheld market they represent.

Now sure, the chart isn't extensively labeled for clarity, but come on guys.....it's not THAT hard to suss out.

st0pnsw0p

Nov 23, 2009
NiPah said:
xaszatm said:

As I said, that chart that has the Wii U at 7.9 shows the life-to-date sales. The one I posted shows only what each console has sold just this year.

In the vgchartz site, there's this little button on the bottom-left of the chart that says "This Generation". If you click on it, you get the option to show either the year-to-date numbers (the chart I posted) or the previous-gen sales numbers instead. Also, the reason the chart looks weird with 3DS and PS4 both at the same height despite very different sales numbers is because handhelds and consoles are supposed to be two separate charts. Vita+3DS is 100% of the handheld sales, Ps4+XBOne+WiiU is 100% of console sales. It's a bit weird but not that hard to figure out.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Wandering_Hero said:
I have read the ancient tomes of prophecies, carved from the texts of a thousand internet commentators and have determined Nintendo will go bankrupt in February 2012
Surely it's no coincidence that that's the year they released the Wii U to everybody's biggest meh and ended up losing how many millions again?

NiPah

May 8, 2009
Vigormortis said:
xaszatm said:
NiPah said:

I only just stumbled into this part of the conversation, but the chart seems pretty straightforward to me.

The first three bars show the total unit sales for each of the three current-gen consoles, with the percentages meaning how much of the console market they represent. The latter two bars show the total unit sales for the two primary handhelds and which percentage of the handheld market they represent.

Now sure, the chart isn't extensively labeled for clarity, but come on guys.....it's not THAT hard to suss out.
I was calling it screwed up because I clicked on the link and it gave me different numbers, I didn't catch that the picture linked was only the current year's sale numbers.

st0pnsw0p said:
Sorry mate, missed that part, it all makes sense now.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
NiPah said:
I was calling it screwed up because I clicked on the link and it gave me different numbers, I didn't catch that the picture linked was only the current year's sale numbers.
Fair 'nough. And really, I agree that the chart needs vastly more detailed labeling.