Will Top Gear survive?

Jeroenr

Nov 20, 2013
With Jeremy Clarkson's latest incident and the possibility of the termination of his employment at the BBC, Top Gears survival hangs on a silk thread.

No real news from May or Hammond.(at least that i could find)
But if Clarkson goes, they will probably follow suit.
Also the contracts of all three of the host's are to be renewed(or not).

Although i do enjoy the show greatly
To be honest, i do feel Top Gear was on a downwards spiral quite some time now.
It lost it's feel as a motoring show.
Even a couple of seasons back the focus was fast cars we will never be able to own, and sensible cars we could own and why we should/shouldn't buy them.

they still do the fast cars, but not so much the sensible ones.(Unless it has GT in the name)
And i think they go a bit overboard with the road trips.
Although quite fun to watch, the build challenges aren't really motoring journalism either.

Personally i don't think Clarkson can be replaced.
And maybe Top Gear pays to much of the bills for the BBC to cancel it.
So they may be more lenient.
But if indeed he punched a staff member in the face, The BBC will have no choice in the matter.

Jeroenr

Nov 20, 2013
Baffle said:
I find it really really dull, and all the silly little sketches and terrible acting really cringy. So I don't watch it.

I'm not sure how it works for the BBC - does Top Gear bring in more than the licence fee (which you have to pay either way)?
The foreign distribution and merchandising brings a pretty penny.

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat šŸ
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
šŸ‡¬šŸ‡§
Top Gear was around before Jeremy Clarkson, given the show's popularity I don't doubt the BBC would at-least try to keep it around even if all three current presenters left. Whether it would survive for much longer or quickly lose it's audience is anyone's guess, depends on who they would hire as a replacement really.

Alfador_VII

Nov 2, 2009
the show could work without Clarkson, but it would not do as well. The BBC need him, but does he need the BBC?

flying_whimsy

Dec 2, 2009
I absolutely love top gear and would hate to see it go. I'm american, though, so I've never actually had a problem with Clarkson's big mouth even when I've found it offensive. I'm interested in hearing why Clarkson actually got suspended this time, especially since I've been under the impression that tensions have been rising between the show's producers and the cast (I still suspect that recent falkland's war incident was caused by the producers not understanding what could happen).

On the whole I find it both amusing and frustrating how pissed off various people, countries, and minorities get about the show. I guess it's a sign that people like it, I suppose. But you can't sit there and laugh when they make fun of others and then get into a huff when they make fun of you. Plus everyone seems to forget that it's basically three middle-aged men that have absolutely no skill outside of talking while driving a car. They make fun of themselves more than anyone else.

Jeroenr

Nov 20, 2013
flying_whimsy said:
I absolutely love top gear and would hate to see it go. I'm american, though, so I've never actually had a problem with Clarkson's big mouth even when I've found it offensive. I'm interested in hearing why Clarkson actually got suspended this time, especially since I've been under the impression that tensions have been rising between the show's producers and the cast (I still suspect that recent falkland's war incident was caused by the producers not understanding what could happen).
Well, apparently when the crew came back to a hotel late in the evening, the kitchen was already closed and unable to serve any warm food.
presumably Clarkson blew a gasket and punched one of the shows producers in the argument.

On the whole I find it both amusing and frustrating how pissed off various people, countries, and minorities get about the show. I guess it's a sign that people like it, I suppose. But you can't sit there and laugh when they make fun of others and then get into a huff when they make fun of you. Plus everyone seems to forget that it's basically three middle-aged men that have absolutely no skill outside of talking while driving a car. They make fun of themselves more than anyone else.
I do agree that some people are (to) easily offended, but sometimes they do cross a line and its good that they get whistled back time to time.

And on the show they act like complete tools, but all of them are know to have a keen interest and some skill in engineering and science.

Fieldy409_v1legacy

Oct 9, 2008
Well he can always go the Richard Hammond route and make money starring in WACKY COOL SCIENCE shows that want to be English mythbusters. I'm sure I've seen him in at least three different ones.

flying_whimsy

Dec 2, 2009
Jeroenr said:
Well, apparently when the crew came back to a hotel late in the evening, the kitchen was already closed and unable to serve any warm food.
presumably Clarkson blew a gasket and punched one of the shows producers in the argument.
Wow, makes me wonder what preceded that.

I do agree that some people are (to) easily offended, but sometimes they do cross a line and its good that they get whistled back time to time.

And on the show they act like complete tools, but all of them are know to have a keen interest and some skill in engineering and science.
I know they are smarter than they let on, but for the people that take their comments at face value it seems a bit disingenuous to ignore that they mock themselves and each other more than anyone else.

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
flying_whimsy said:

You can't go into work and start throwing punches at people, end of story. The second you start throwing punches you are done, especially over the fact that you can't have a steak dinner.

flying_whimsy

Dec 2, 2009
albino boo said:
You can't go into work and start throwing punches at people, end of story. The second you start throwing punches you are done, especially over the fact that you can't have a steak dinner.
You don't have to be so condescending about it; I only just heard about the circumstances. And while he shouldn't be throwing punches, I still don't know just how far he was provoked by the producers (they've shown a less than friendly antagonism throughout the show). I can't throw all of the guilt onto one party until I know the details of the situation.

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
flying_whimsy said:
albino boo said:
You don't have to be so condescending about it; I only just heard about the circumstances. And while he shouldn't be throwing punches, I still don't know just how far he was provoked by the producers (they've shown a less than friendly antagonism throughout the show). I can't throw all of the guilt onto one party until I know the details of the situation.
He was drunk in hotel which is public place and started swearing screaming and shouting and then throwing punches because he couldn't have steak dinner. That is not acceptable behavior in the work place. The incident was witnessed by members of the public and hotel staff. CLarkson doesn't think the rules applies to him because he is famous. The show he been dying for years because of his ego has ran out of control.

flying_whimsy

Dec 2, 2009
albino boo said:
flying_whimsy said:
albino boo said:
He was drunk in hotel which is public place and started swearing screaming and shouting and then throwing punches because he couldn't have steak dinner. That is not acceptable behavior in the work place. The incident was witnessed by members of the public and hotel staff. CLarkson doesn't think the rules applies to him because he is famous. The show he been dying for years because of his ego has ran out of control.
Okay, I get it: you don't like clarkson. Stop conflating that with what happened. Supposedly he got drunk and punched one of his bosses in the face. Fair enough reason for anyone to be fired.

You don't have to be so angry about it. Like I said, I only just heard about it in this thread, so I haven't heard any of these details. Instead of being so nasty about it you could have simply posted a link to an article or other source. I do actually hold that people are innocent until proven guilty, so I'm not going to jump all over this without knowing all of the facts. :p

Aug 31, 2012
If he goes, probably not.

Shame, I like the show, I don't care about the cars, it's about watching 3 middle aged men clown around like 17 year old boys and clearly have fun while they're doing it. All the other crap they've got in trouble for I don't really care. Allegedly throwing a punch at other staff though...eh, I can see why he's in the shit this time.

If he did go, it wouldn't surprise me to see May and Hammond leave too, and a new show about 3 familiar middle aged man-children arsing about with all kinds of blokey things to crop up on another channel within a year or so

PainInTheAssInternet

The Ship Magnificent
Dec 30, 2011
I said it in the other Top Gear thread. The show revolves around their personalities while the cars are a nice backdrop. It just occurred to me that I always remembered their deliveries rather than any car in the reviews of those cars. On that note, however,

Jeroenr said:
It lost it's feel as a motoring show.
Even a couple of seasons back the focus was fast cars we will never be able to own, and sensible cars we could own and why we should/shouldn't buy them.

they still do the fast cars, but not so much the sensible ones.(Unless it has GT in the name)
And i think they go a bit overboard with the road trips.
Although quite fun to watch, the build challenges aren't really motoring journalism either.
One of the most useful reviews I've seen them do in years was from the last episode comparing Lexus' latest sports cars against the LFA. He explained that he knew he couldn't expect something as good as a $360,000 car but he didn't expect a downgrade to that extent. On a more personal note, my favourite TG episodes are the road trips, particularly when they modify the cars to their own personal needs.

If Clarkson did assault someone, he needs to be held accountable. He can't be given a free pass because he's a celebrity.

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
flying_whimsy said:
albino boo said:
flying_whimsy said:
albino boo said:
Okay, I get it: you don't like clarkson. Stop conflating that with what happened. Supposedly he got drunk and punched one of his bosses in the face. Fair enough reason for anyone to be fired.

You don't have to be so angry about it. Like I said, I only just heard about it in this thread, so I haven't heard any of these details. Instead of being so nasty about it you could have simply posted a link to an article or other source. I do actually hold that people are innocent until proven guilty, so I'm not going to jump all over this without knowing all of the facts. :p
I am repeating what members of the public who witnessed the events say. Clarkson got drunk at work and stared hitting staff, that is not conflating it repeating eye witness accounts. I would not like to work with a violent drunk and I don't see why anyone else should. Ever notice ever time they do a challenge Clarkson always wins, I wonder why that is? The BBC has a liberal bias and he has used that bias to to play to the gallery , to boost his ego and allow his to get away with oafish behavior.

July 2008: Drink-driving
BBC bosses told Clarkson off for supping a gin and tonic while behind the wheel of a pick-up truck
November 2008: Lorry drivers
With reference to Peter Sutcliffe, the Yorkshire Ripper, Clarkson joked on the show about how lorry drivers "murder prostitutes"
February 2009: Gordon Brown
The then prime minister was dismissed as a "one-eyed Scottish idiot" during a press conference in Australia.
October 2009: Black Muslim Lesbians
Clarkson said that the BBC was obsessed with hiring black, Muslim lesbians to counter the number of white heterosexuals in its ranks.
July 2010: Burkas and lingerie
During a Top Gear discussion on distractions while driving: ?Honestly, the burka doesn?t work. I was in a cab in Piccadilly the other day when a woman in a full burka crossing the road in front of me tripped over the pavement, went head over heels and up it came, red g-string and stockings.?
August 2010: Special needs
Clarkson referred to a Ferrari as 'special needs' and a 'simpleton' as a way of giving it a bad review.
February 2011: Mexico
Clarkson sparked a diplomatic incident, and was forced to apologise to the Mexican ambassador
January 2012: India
Viewers complained about Clarkson's provocative remarks concerning the country's clothing, trains, food and history.
May 2014: The 'N'-word
Clarkson was forced into a apology after appearing to mumble the word as he sang a nursery rhyme on Top Gear.
July 2014: Slope
Ofcom said he had breached their guidelines, when he referred to an Asian person as a 'slope',
October 2014: Falklands
Jeremy Clarkson caused offence this time by driving through Argentina using a number plate apparently referring to the Falklands War.

Parasondox

Jun 15, 2013
If they get Tiff Needell to replace Clarkson, yeah. That won't happen because Fifth Gear has a new deal with History Channel and they seem at home there. Jeremy Clarkson has been under the BBC's radar in terms of his behaviour and they just needed something to tip things into their court and get rid of him and physical assault may have been it.

In terms of Top Gear itself, I'm only in it for the entertainment as I really don't take their car reviews seriously. For that I go to Evo and Drive as they pretty much go into detail about cars of every price range. Even when Fifth Gear was in Channel 5, I would watch them for their insight and knowledge of certain cars. Tiff Needell does seem really cool and relaxed and I know that he is still in contact (wouldn't say mates unless they are) with May and Clarkson.

flying_whimsy

Dec 2, 2009
albino boo said:
super snip
I don't quite get why you are belaboring the point so much, especially without giving nothing more than hearsay. And I have been well aware of Clarkson's various offences over the years, so stop talking down to me like I haven't been paying attention to the show or surrounding events. I honestly don't see where you are going with this other than trying to further display Clarkson is an ass. Like I said, I get it. Anyone who watches the show knows the man is petty and egotistical; I still like him so :p

There's probably more discussion to be had here (especially since some of the events you listed aren't directly attributable to him alone), but I don't see the point. You hate clarkson and are glad he's off the show; you should be happy rather than so confrontational about it. Whereas I'm sad to see him go and I don't think the show will be the same without him to the point where I may not watch anymore.

Come to think of it, you haven't actually responded to the OP: do you think Top Gear will survive? Do you think it even should?

---
On a more general note: I find it funny that seeing all of Clarkson's offences spelled out really highlights to me how overly sensitive the international community is. As an American, I'm constantly seeing statements from other countries that we can't judge a population by the actions of an individual, but nevertheless Clarkson is usually pointed at as an embarrassment for all of Britannia because he's an ass.

DementedSheep

Jan 8, 2010
Baffle said:
I find it really really dull, and all the silly little sketches and terrible acting really cringy. So I don't watch it.

Jeroenr said:
And maybe Top Gear pays to much of the bills for the BBC to cancel it.
I'm not sure how it works for the BBC - does Top Gear bring in more than the licence fee (which you have to pay either way)?
They part own it (or full now? Clarkson sold his shares)
Last I saw it was around 50 mil a year they make through Top Gear and it's by far their biggest brand so they will be hurting if Top Gear flops.