Will Top Gear survive?

faefrost

Jun 2, 2010
Fieldy409 said:
Well he can always go the Richard Hammond route and make money starring in WACKY COOL SCIENCE shows that want to be English mythbusters. I'm sure I've seen him in at least three different ones.
Wait? I'm confused? I thought he built an island resort full of dinosaurs that started eating people?

Parasondox

Jun 15, 2013
faefrost said:
Fieldy409 said:
Well he can always go the Richard Hammond route and make money starring in WACKY COOL SCIENCE shows that want to be English mythbusters. I'm sure I've seen him in at least three different ones.
Wait? I'm confused? I thought he built an island resort full of dinosaurs that started eating people?
That was Richard Attenborough (R.I.P) who played John Hammond.

I remember when Richard Hammond did Brainiac and tried to do his own day time show in ITV. Bad times.

PainInTheAssInternet

The Ship Magnificent
Dec 30, 2011
faefrost said:
Fieldy409 said:
The best part is that John Hammond is played by Richard Attenborough. If you switch the names around, you get John Attenborough and Richard Hammond.

Jeroenr

Nov 20, 2013
Fieldy409 said:
yeah, now he is doing a show called the Science of Stupit on NGC.
It is even worse than brainiac ever was.

James May did a little better.
Revisiting toys from his childhood and test them agianst time, to see if they hold up now.
The Lego and Model airplane episode were really fun to watch.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Well I love Top Gear to death and have watched every single episode, some seasons several times over... but this might be a good time to call it quits. Since season 11 they have been going stronger and stronger on this very odd enthusiasm acting thing which none of them can even remotely pull off, more over it makes the whole show really forced and strange, sometimes you wonder if they are held in that studio at gun point.

And let's be real, they had 22 seasons... shit will not be getting any better. I say get these guys together for the travelling specials every year, other then that Top Gear as a whole has run it's course, we are far better off with those guys doing new shows.

lechat

Dec 5, 2012
if you have ever seen the American and Australian versions you'll realize why the show will not work without it's current cast......

i mean it can work but only if the producers don't get 3 other randoms guys and then start pretending they have the exact same personalities of the original cast and that will never happen.

Jeroenr

Nov 20, 2013
Smooth Operator said:
Well I love Top Gear to death and have watched every single episode, some seasons several times over... but this might be a good time to call it quits. Since season 11 they have been going stronger and stronger on this very odd enthusiasm acting thing which none of them can even remotely pull off, more over it makes the whole show really forced and strange, sometimes you wonder if they are held in that studio at gun point.

And let's be real, they had 22 seasons... shit will not be getting any better. I say get these guys together for the travelling specials every year, other then that Top Gear as a whole has run it's course, we are far better off with those guys doing new shows.
I think the travel parts are part of the problem.
The Canada rescue episode a couple of weeks back is a good example of this.
Most of the episode was about "hey lets stop for tea wile the other guy is miserable on the mountain.
They tell barely anything about the cars(besides the amount of HP).

And of course the Argentina incident.
Although they didn't say anything undiplomatic, but come on license plate "H982-FLK".
It was an obvious problem(they were aware of it) and easily fix't long before shipping them out.
But of course the British aren't that popular to begin with, so it might have bin ill fated from the start.

Just in...
apparently Clarkson has contacted the BBC with the message that he is done with the BBC and won't be renewing his contract (set to expire end of the month)
No doubt using somewhat more colorful langue.

So, in the next couple of day's we will see if Hammond and May will follow.

Tatsuki

Nov 9, 2014
Jeroenr said:
But of course the British aren't that popular to begin with, so it might have bin ill fated from the start.
That is actually a rare sentiment I don't see all that often online. Don't get me wrong there are plenty of reasons to dislike the UK but from the impression I've garnered people generally stereotype us as the crumpet eating, tea swilling villains of movie infamy.

Is there a recent wave of UK hate I'm missing out on?

As for Clarkson, Top Gear will not survive.
It may continue airing but it will not be Top Gear in the same sense, and for all his faux pas and bleating I liked him. The reason I liked him is because he acted like he was just speaking his mind to people who understood him (which he was for the most part) which is why he was so blunt and open with the things he said, he didn't go in for all the red tape, censorship and tip toeing around subjects that TV is rife with now. Even Family Guy you can tell are stupidly careful with some topics and they try to be edgy (or at least used to).

That said, punching a co-worker, dick move.
Like him or not he deserves to lose the job and then some.

Hoplon

Jabbering Fool
Mar 31, 2010
Tatsuki said:
Jeroenr said:
That is actually a rare sentiment I don't see all that often online. Don't get me wrong there are plenty of reasons to dislike the UK but from the impression I've garnered people generally stereotype us as the crumpet eating, tea swilling villains of movie infamy.

It may continue airing but it will not be Top Gear in the same sense, and for all his faux pas and bleating I liked him. The reason I liked him is because he acted like he was just speaking his mind to people who understood him (which he was for the most part) which is why he was so blunt and open with the things he said, he didn't go in for all the red tape, censorship and tip toeing around subjects that TV is rife with now. Even Family Guy you can tell are stupidly careful with some topics and they try to be edgy (or at least used to).

There is a theory that he has been doing this stupid shit so he gets fire and can go to sky and get paid double.

Parasondox

Jun 15, 2013
Hoplon said:
Tatsuki said:
Jeroenr said:

There is a theory that he has been doing this stupid shit so he gets fire and can go to sky and get paid double.
I doubt Sky would want him for the reputation he has already. Very negative in fact. Is he trying to be buddies with Rupert Murdoch now?

Jeroenr

Nov 20, 2013
Could the show go on? Sure

Will it be good? Nope.

The 3 gentlemen Hammond, James, and Jeremy, are the iron core to this, it's their distinct personality that made the show so good, I don't watch it for the cars, I watched it for the 3 fellahs and their adventures.

Jeroenr

Nov 20, 2013
Tatsuki said:
Jeroenr said:

I didn't mean that in general, but there still is a lot of old hurt about the Falklands in Argentina, so the British aren't the most welcome people there.

sky14kemea

Deus Ex-Mod
Jun 26, 2008
Let's hope that punch, for Clarkson, was the best.... in the wooooorld.

'Cause y'know I'd be surprised if they just took him back without consequences.

Breakdown

Oxy Moron
Sep 5, 2014
down a well
Country
Northumbria
sky14kemea said:

I'm hoping that as he was standing over the body of his fallen foe, blood dripping from his clenched fist, Clarkson said "and on that bombshell..."

Darth Rosenberg

Oct 25, 2011
Jeroenr said:
I didn't mean that in general, but there still is a lot of old hurt about the Falklands in Argentina, so the British aren't the most welcome people there.
Firstly, the people on the Falklands want to be a part of our little club, and secondly; that many morons gather together in what amounts to a lynch mob, and start hurling rocks at other human beings because of a number plate? It could've had Thatcher's face and something to do with the Belgrano on it, that isn't justification for mass assault. Those were pitiful, pathetic thugs who attacked Top Gear's crew, nothing more. It's with those people that the blame lies.

As for Top Gear: I can't really comment on Clarkson's 'incident', as I don't know the facts. If he acted like an idiot, fine - charge him, if need be, and that's that. People make mistakes and move on.

I hope the show does continue, as whilst its humour and content is certainly hit and miss, when it works it really works, and there's really nothing else like it around. Clarkson, May, and Hammond ripping into Peugeot a few weeks back was hilarious.

Lightspeaker

Dec 31, 2011
Breakdown said:
sky14kemea said:

I'm hoping that as he was standing over the body of his fallen foe, blood dripping from his clenched fist, Clarkson said "and on that bombshell..."

This seems highly relevant:

http://newsthump.com/2015/03/10/bbc-forced-to-act-as-jeremy-clarkson-fracas-leaves-hundreds-dead/

Anyway...it'd be tricky I think. Whatever you think about Clarkson he has a fairly big personality and a large part of the current appeal of Top Gear is the rapport between the presenters. He'd be incredibly hard to replace and the BBC knows this. That being said its becoming increasingly difficult to justify all of these incidents popping up again and again.

The Bucket

May 4, 2010
Darth Rosenberg said:
Jeroenr said:
Firstly, the people on the Falklands want to be a part of our little club, and secondly; that many morons gather together in what amounts to a lynch mob, and start hurling rocks at other human beings because of a number plate? It could've had Thatcher's face and something to do with the Belgrano on it, that isn't justification for mass assault. Those were pitiful, pathetic thugs who attacked Top Gear's crew, nothing more. It's with those people that the blame lies.

As for Top Gear: I can't really comment on Clarkson's 'incident', as I don't know the facts. If he acted like an idiot, fine - charge him, if need be, and that's that. People make mistakes and move on.

I hope the show does continue, as whilst its humour and content is certainly hit and miss, when it works it really works, and there's really nothing else like it around. Clarkson, May, and Hammond ripping into Peugeot a few weeks back was hilarious.
He punched a coworker in the face. That isnt something any employer can reasonably write off as a "mistake" and give him a slap on the wrist just because he's famous.

Tiger King

Legacy
Oct 23, 2010
Country
USA
hey top gear fans!
I know it is from the lad bible but if it is true then he is done.
http://www.theladbible.com/articles/the-producer-jeremy-clarkson-punched-had-blood-running-down-his-face

The show has been pretty stale the past few years anyway so it's no great loss.

Qizx

Executor
Feb 21, 2011
The Bucket said:
Darth Rosenberg said:
Jeroenr said:

He punched a coworker in the face. That isnt something any employer can reasonably write off as a "mistake" and give him a slap on the wrist just because he's famous.
Yeah I don't see how anyone can be defending him... It's known he punched a a coworker in the face. GG, you're out, charged with assault I hope. Celebrities need to be treated like us when it comes to the law.