Will Top Gear survive?

Jeroenr

Nov 20, 2013
J Tyran said:
There are rumours flying around the British press that Chris Evans would be brought in to replace him, I think it could be okay with him. Hes crazy about cars (more so than Clarkson in some respects), a well accomplished presenter and is pretty funny in his own right and wouldn't try to "fill Clarksons shoes".
His name was mentioned quite early in the scandal.
but i don't really know the guy, so i can't comment on if it will work.

As for the BBS decision? I agree with it, when his attempts at humour go to far or don't stick that's one issue and I would defend him on that as he isn't the only that makes the show and its up to the producers and editors to reign it in or cut it. Fisting people in the face is another, just because he makes bucket loads of cash for the BBC doesn't mean they should allow him to assault other BBC staff.
In many aspects the BBC might have seen Top Gear as "to big to fail".
So i think it's commendable of the BBC to not just think with their wallets.
Also seen the amount of support Clarkson got the last couple of weeks. (including the British PM)
If they only gave him a small pat on the wrist, the backlash wouldn't have been that great.

Unkillable Cat said:
Its looking like all 3 will be moving on to do another show together based on the current rumours and speculation. I'm guessing Netflix will be the natural option as there's more profit in it for them do go that way.
Sky and ITV were rumored to have expressed interest. but Netflix could be an option as well.

J Tyran

Dec 15, 2011
Jeroenr said:
J Tyran said:
There are rumours flying around the British press that Chris Evans would be brought in to replace him, I think it could be okay with him. Hes crazy about cars (more so than Clarkson in some respects), a well accomplished presenter and is pretty funny in his own right and wouldn't try to "fill Clarksons shoes".
He wouldn't be a replacement for Clarkson but I think he could make it work on his own merits, he really is crazy about cars. Not just fast cars either, all kinds and he has collected individual single cars worth more than the collective value of every supercar Jeremy Clarkson has owned alongside odd curiosities or iconic but fairly cheap & mundane cars.

He had is own brand of anarchic unscripted TV comedy long before "new" Top Gear so the show format wouldn't need to change much, he could pull it off without trying to "be" Clarkson though.

Jeroenr

Nov 20, 2013
J Tyran said:
Jeroenr said:
J Tyran said:
He wouldn't be a replacement for Clarkson but I think he could make it work on his own merits, he really is crazy about cars. Not just fast cars either, all kinds and he has collected individual single cars worth more than the collective value of every supercar Jeremy Clarkson has owned alongside odd curiosities or iconic but fairly cheap & mundane cars.

He had is own brand of anarchic unscripted TV comedy long before "new" Top Gear so the show format wouldn't need to change much, he could pull it off without trying to "be" Clarkson though.
Apparently he is strongly denying the rumors about this.

But i must say a proper car nut could just be what the show needed.

Darth Rosenberg

Oct 25, 2011
Meant to reply to this a while back, but forgot:
The Bucket said:
He punched a coworker in the face. That isnt something any employer can reasonably write off as a "mistake" and give him a slap on the wrist just because he's famous.
Yes, actually it would be something I hope grown up adults can sort out without a firing. Tensions got strained, Clarkson acted like a dimwit, and that's that. I think the guy ended up with a split lip - he wasn't exactly attacked with a crowbar. Fame has nothing to do with it.

As I said, if the guy wants to press charges, then let the law do its thang. Otherwise, people should let it blow over, and get the show back on TV.

...not like that's going to happen now, though.

I hope May and Hammond join up with Clarkson on another channel, but it'll no doubt be one I don't subscribe to - so that's the end of proper Clarkson/Hammond/May 'Top Gear' for me, it seems. It was a damn fine ride while it lasted.

The Bucket

May 4, 2010
Darth Rosenberg said:
Meant to reply to this a while back, but forgot:
The Bucket said:
He punched a coworker in the face. That isnt something any employer can reasonably write off as a "mistake" and give him a slap on the wrist just because he's famous.
Yes, actually it would be something I hope grown up adults can sort out without a firing. Tensions got strained, Clarkson acted like a dimwit, and that's that. I think the guy ended up with a split lip - he wasn't exactly attacked with a crowbar. Fame has nothing to do with it.

As I said, if the guy wants to press charges, then let the law do its thang. Otherwise, people should let it blow over, and get the show back on TV.

...not like that's going to happen now, though.

I hope May and Hammond join up with Clarkson on another channel, but it'll no doubt be one I don't subscribe to - so that's the end of proper Clarkson/Hammond/May 'Top Gear' for me, it seems. It was a damn fine ride while it lasted.
Grown up adults dont try and solve their problems by throwing their weight around and lashing out. I think you're understating what happened, it wasn't a moment of weakness, the actual confrontation lasted 30 seconds and he shouted the guy out and told him repeatedly he was fired both before and after it happened. It was bullying plain and simple.

And fame has everything to do with it. If it was the other way around and the producer had snapped and given Clarkson a hit, I dont think anyone would question or protest a decision to sack him.
I like Top Gear and am really dissapointed at this, but like the statement said, they cant have one rule for most people and another for Clarkson because he's a big deal.

Genocidicles

Sep 13, 2012
Talk about cutting your nose off to spite your face. The BBC is throwing away a lot of money letting Clarkson (and by extension Hammond and May) go... but I guess it really pissed of Danny Cohen that the BBC's most successful program was about a bunch of straight white men having fun and being politically incorrect.

Coming soon to a tv near you! the BBC's new Top Gear starring a diverse range presenters pulled from a variety of minority backgrounds who'll talk about the responsibility of driving electric cars and hybrids, while also extolling the virtues of public transportation!

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
Genocidicles said:
Talk about cutting your nose off to spite your face. The BBC is throwing away a lot of money letting Clarkson (and by extension Hammond and May) go... but I guess it really pissed of Danny Cohen that the BBC's most successful program was about a bunch of straight white men having fun and being politically incorrect.

Coming soon to a tv near you! the BBC's new Top Gear starring a diverse range presenters pulled from a variety of minority backgrounds who'll talk about the responsibility of driving electric cars and hybrids, while also extolling the virtues of public transportation!
You don't get drunk at work and start throwing punches and expect to keep your job. Its been fairly obvious that Clarkson has been on an arc of self destruction for some time now, all his enemies at the BBC had to do was wait. Now I do hope that, like Chris Evans before him, Clarkson goes away cuts back on the booze and winds his ego back in and returns to form as a great broadcaster. I used to like top gear but Clarkson had become the pub bore, James May just didn't care and I do worry about the health of Hammond.

Laughing Man

Oct 10, 2008
You don't get drunk at work and start throwing punches and expect to keep your job.
and THIS is why you take everything with a pinch of salt when reading about this sort of thing.

The actual investigation as conducted by Ken MacQuarrie makes NO reference to anyone being drunk, or that punches were being thrown.

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/tv/what-the-bbcs-inquiry-into-jeremy-clarksons-fracas-with-a-top-gear-producer-found-10133373.html

PDF link for download of report

http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/investigation-summary.pdf

I also have noticed in EVERY single one of the people that respond agreeing with what the BBC did by firing him is that they embellish the incident and fail EVERY SINGLE time to acknowledge that not only did Clarkson make multiple attempts to apologies to the victim but was the one that actually started the proceedings for an official investigation.

The fact is he shouldn't have been fired.

Not withstanding the show's popularity and the money that it makes the BBC, at every stage this incident as highlighted examples of a corporation that has mis-managaed every single aspect when it comes to Clarkson and this incident itself.

It is no shock that Clarkson is more than a little hot headed, the people responsible for his management both personnel and within the BBC should have been managing him and his behaviour long before this incident occurred. Even then the lead ups to the whole incident aren't very clear. Does it excuse hitting someone, no, but as someone who suffers from hypoglycemia I can understand just how quickly I can get annoyed when I have been working hard and need something to eat. Again no excuse but everyone loves to kick around the whiny baby wanting a Steak and not getting his way when we seem to have very little info about the lead up to the incident.

After the incident the BBC should have done an internal investigation, the problem though is on the back of Jimmy Saville they are so scared of being accused of covering things up they went to the polar opposite, canning the last three episodes of Top Gear and making a very public statement to the fact 'yes one of our talent has done something wrong look everyone look we are raking him across the coals in the middle of the town centre, look we don't cover things up anymore'.

If Clarkson had made no attempt to show remorse or had acted in the 'I don't give a fuck manner towards the victim' that is being made out by the sack him supporters, then yes sacking him AFTER the current run of Top Gear had ended, would have been the right decision. Instead the current run should have been completed, because cancelling it affects no one but the people who fucking pay the BBC's wages, they should have conducted an internal investigation and taken in to account the fact that Clarkson had tried to apologies (many times) and clearly knew he had done something wrong they should have punished him via his new contract (which was up for renewal anyway). If he was unwilling to accept those terms then he could have opted not to renew.

I love how everyone focuses on Clarkson in this case because he is the obvious big name celeb but will their be ANY investigation in to the management that allowed this to happen in the first place or an investigation in to how piss poorly the whole thing was handled or an investigation in to the high ranking BBC individual that actually compared the whole thing to the Jimmy Saville scandal. I doubt it.

Breakdown

Oxy Moron
Sep 5, 2014
down a well
Country
Northumbria
Top Gear has felt a bit tired for a couple of years now. Hopefully Clarkson, May and Hammond will be invigorated with the prospect of working on a different series for a different network.

It's difficult to see how Top Gear can continue though. Chris Evans could maybe do it but he's ruled himself out. Even if he changes his mind he would still need to have credible co-presenters.

WhiteNachos

Jul 25, 2014
I think Top Gear will replace all 3 hosts and their replacements won't be nearly as good. It'll hang on like the other Top Gear spinoffs but it won't be nearly as good or as popular.

I don't care about cars and I still watched Top Gear UK because it was funny and entertaining. Yeah I had to sit through them showing off and gushing about a super car almost every episode, while I didn't cafe about it, it was still fun to watch.

But maybe the 3 of them will get a new car show somewhere else.

Jeroenr

Nov 20, 2013
albino boo said:
Genocidicles said:

You don't get drunk at work and start throwing punches and expect to keep your job. Its been fairly obvious that Clarkson has been on an arc of self destruction for some time now, all his enemies at the BBC had to do was wait. Now I do hope that, like Chris Evans before him, Clarkson goes away cuts back on the booze and winds his ego back in and returns to form as a great broadcaster. I used to like top gear but Clarkson had become the pub bore, James May just didn't care and I do worry about the health of Hammond.
I have a hard time shaking off the feeling that this was an exit strategy of sorts.(just speculating here)
The host's are also a prisoner of the success, They are getting older and maybe getting a little bored of it.
But they can't resign without getting the whole of the UK(and the world) piste off at them.

So this way, they aren't the bad guy's (slight backfire) and increase their market value. (that one probably worked)

Laughing Man

Oct 10, 2008
Because being sober at work and punching people is so much better
Swing and a miss, the POINT was that like so many you were spreading miss information to help make whatever point you were trying to make.

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
Laughing Man said:
Because being sober at work and punching people is so much better
Swing and a miss, the POINT was that like so many you were spreading miss information to help make whatever point you were trying to make.
No you are missing the point you don't go to work and punch people and keep your job. You are also ignoring many eye witness accounts that say Clarkson was pissed as a lord. If you want to engage in conspiracy theories thats fine but don't expect everyone in the reality based community to take you seriously.

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
Frankly, I started watching Top Gear because I found the three of them charming and funny. If Richard Hammond is still around I'll still watch it.

Though, to be perfectly honest, if you Brits are done with Clarkson we Americans would love to have him. Seriously, he'd be huge here.

Someone Depressing

Jan 16, 2011
Nobody gave a shit about the cars, and now that people have realised that it was hosted by three boring middle-aged guys the show will go down and then die a semi-dignified death.

Then Upper Cog will appear on Sky, hosted by the one and only Jeremy Clarkson in blackface Jerome Cartson.