Will Xbox owners buy a PS3 for Killzone

Vlane

Sep 14, 2008
SomeBritishDude said:
Well I'm not.

The number of threads on Killzone 2 is getting kind of annoying. As far as I can tell its just another generic FPS set in a generic Sci-Fi landscape. I really don't see what the fuss is about.
It's gray and brown!

Some people may buy a PS3 for the game but it doesn't make any sense in my opinion. I don't buy a new car so I can drive a little bit faster.

Magugag

Jun 25, 2008
To justify me purchasing that system, Square-Enix would have to remake Final Fantasy VII and keep it exclusive to the PS3. Right now, God of War III is tugging at me, but until I see that price go a little further down I'm not touching that overpriced monster.

Killzone 2 would certainly be on my list were I convinced to buy a PS3, though.

Break

And you are?
Sep 10, 2007
I wouldn't, but that's because I don't care about Killzone 2 that much.

Besides, I already bought a PS3 so I could play Disgaea 3, so what the hell.

haruvister

Jun 4, 2008
Having played and loathed the original Killzone, and having only just flogged my own PS3... I can't see it happening for me.

Clemenstation

Dec 9, 2008
Haha, you serious? People are still on this 'Killzone 2 is PS3's Killer App' binge?

No, I don't think I would. As others have pointed out, the PS3 has a number of decent exclusives out now which, combined, might make a purchase worthwhile. But I'm not especially down for yet another shooter which, despite the best efforts of certain hype machines, is still just a shooter.

chumpzilla_69

Jul 19, 2008
Im not trying to get my ass flamed so hard its like a comunity barbeque, but tbh Killzone 2 dosent look all that special anywho. Even if i had a PS3 i'd probably still just stick with everyone elses rationale of - Yeah, its an FPS, well done

social_outcast

Jul 31, 2008
To push systems, you really need a game that pushes boundaries - as good as Killzone 2 is, theres nothing new enough to justify adoption of the hardware. Same with the 360, I cant think of one game that made me buy it (possibly Mass Effect, but thats fanboyism to Bioware, since it wasnt out on the PC at the time).

KDR_11k

Feb 10, 2009
Killer apps are the kind that deliver an experience you cannot get elsewhere, not yet another brown-and-grey FPS in a generation where that seems to be the only genre in existence.

Boober the Pig said:
Most people who like games own a current console by now.
The PS2 alledgedly sold (or at least shipped) something like 140 million systems. The PS3 and 360 combined are currently about equal to the Wii's userbase which is still way short of 140 million. All current gen consoles combined don't reach 140M. Even if every PS2 owner bought at most one current gen system with zero overlap (not gonna happen) that's still quite a few million unserved customers and that's before we consider that the Wii reached people who didn't even have a PS2.

For Sony to grow it's console base, the biggest market is 360 owners.
No, the biggest market is PS2 owners, the second biggest is Wii owners. Well, if we ignore the DS. Know what the DS and PS2 have in common? A massively varied game library. The Wii has a very broad but not particularly deep library (i.e. many genres with at least one game but each genre only with a few games) though that'll probably get fixed over time. The PS3 already has FPSes in large numbers, the only console that will experience any major growth from major FPS releases is the Wii.

So, the PS3 has had a few excellent exclusives that didn't really push the system so much as make people who already owned the system happy about their purchase. This is nice but an exclusive defines the console and should help sell it. So, will Killzone 2 make you purchase another console, are you waiting for God of War III, or do you see your console like a girlfriend and a second console would be cheating on the first one.
KZ2 will definitely fall into the "make existing owners a bit happier" category. It just fails to stand out, looking generic in every way. Yeah, okay, it may be a bit prettier than other games but last I checked the "pretty" systems are getting blown out of the water by the not so pretty one. It's a bit more padding on a category on the system that's already overserved by the whole damn generation. If the PS3 was utterly starved in the FPS genre, sure, there might be sales but it already has enough that those who want FPSes have one.

Me, I'm not considering the PS3 at all. The reason is simple: 400€. I paid that much for my Wii and 360 combined (200€ each, the Wii was cheaper because of cost splitting). Well, okay, the other reason is that to me the 360 and PS3 are practically identical with most of the big games being on both consoles and the PC and I already have enough trouble finding anything I like on the 360 (that's not drastically cheaper on the PC, the price differences are ludicrous) with this whole grey-on-brown-shooter fad going on.

Corpse XxX

Jan 19, 2009
I am a ps3 owner, and if the same thing happened the other way around with the xbox, i would just buy the game even if i dont own the console to play it, and just go to a friend that has that console, and play it at his house..

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
The way gaming works you buy the console you have lest issues with first, then get the rest in time unless you are a rapid fanboy.

I am more interested to see the sales boost FF13 gives both the 360 and PS3 when it hits the fan....

GloatingSwine

Nov 10, 2007
If I didn't already have a PS3, Killzone 2 is not the game that would have made me buy one (on the strength of it's demo, at least. I'll buy the game, but it's fairly low on the priority list with stuff like SFIV, FEAR 2, and the like all out at the same time).

Uncharted, Ratchet & Clank, and Valkyria Chronicles, on the other hand, make a much more compelling argument.

KDR_11k

Feb 10, 2009
ZippyDSMlee said:
The way gaming works you buy the console you have lest issues with first, then get the rest in time unless you are a rapid fanboy.
I think you only need to get another if having one is not enough for you. Consoles cost a lot of money and wasting money just to avoid the "fanboy" label seems pointless to me.

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
KDR_11k said:
ZippyDSMlee said:
I think you only need to get another if having one is not enough for you. Consoles cost a lot of money and wasting money just to avoid the "fanboy" label seems pointless to me.
If you are casual(either hard or soft) you don;t need more than 1 but as a real gamer there are maybe at best 4 or so games on each system worth owning, thus in order to have all the worth while games you have to buy all the systems.

If you don't care or don't have the money your stuck with marginalized quality. It was not as bad last gen when the industry made games geared to enthusiasts(what was once called the hard core gamer), now adays its all casual focused either to the lite/non gamer of the brain dead hardcore game consumer....

Vortigar

Nov 8, 2007
Max:
I liked the first two sentences of your post and then went off kilter...
Shame.

So to answer the question posed in the title:
No.

KDR_11k

Feb 10, 2009
ZippyDSMlee said:
If you are casual(either hard or soft) you don;t need more than 1 but as a real gamer there are maybe at best 4 or so games on each system worth owning, thus in order to have all the worth while games you have to buy all the systems.

If you don't care or don't have the money your stuck with marginalized quality. It was not as bad last gen when the industry made games geared to enthusiasts(what was once called the hard core gamer), now adays its all casual focused either to the lite/non gamer of the brain dead hardcore game consumer....
That reeks of No True Scotsman.