Wind Waker is Still the Best Zelda, and You're Surprised?

IrisNetwork

Sep 11, 2013
All the same reasons I loved Majora's Mask. There was no destiny BS in there at all. No Tri Force. Even no Master Sword. It even started with Link NOT sleeping. Instead, he's adventuring for his own interests. Then, he meets a terrible fate.

It didn't have the big open world as WW, still, the characters were better fleshed out as they followed a 3 day schedule rather than the usual 1 day cycle. Many had their own agendas and stories.

You even had the ability to transform... into dead people. Its uncanny when you speak to those that know the one you've transformed into and they wonder why did they just have had your funeral.

Krantos said:
rednightmare said:
I'm still holding out hope for this:

http://dresdencodak.tumblr.com/post/47724463171/inspired-by-anita-sarkeesians-video-game-tropes

The characters seem more interesting, the gameplay more fluid, the magic focus would be a nice change, the world seems more interesting, esspecially politically and it even has a female protagonist, because why not at that point?
Holy shit. A Zelda Game where Zelda is actually the protagonist? Would Buy!

Seriously, this needs to happen. Nintendo, I'll do it. I will buy a Wii U if you just make this damn game already. DOOO IIIT!
A Zelda game with Zelda as the hero? CDi Zeldas :p

Candlejack000

Nov 1, 2012
My idea for a new Zelda would play like a normal Zelda game. The game starts with a cut scene of some sort depicting how the land has a prophecy about a great evil that will attack the land and the Hero that will defeat it. You play the Hero who sets out at the first hint of evil, you even have the green tunic and everything.

As you play the game the world you know is slowly being destroyed, with you hearing rumors of entire areas disappearing to your starting location vanishing about halfway trough. While the game starts with the only motivation for fighting Ganon is prophecy, now the Hero has a thirst for revenge which alters how they react to future situations.

When you finally get to Ganon and and beat his final form things go from bad to worse. The destruction of the land speeds up until only the arena you are standing in is left. It is revealed by Ganon that the player is the cause of the destruction because of the fact that they are not the Hero from the prophecy but some adventure who happened to have a tunic of the same color, and that by beating the dungeons and defeating Ganon you had broken the prophecy and thus the world. The credits then roll. Oh and Zelda should be in there somewhere.

MaddKossack115

Jul 29, 2013
That whole ending sequence was so ginormously meta, I'd bet one of my spare kidneys that Yahtzee got the idea after playing "The Stanley Parable" one too many times. It'd probably be fine as a twist for, say, a fan-game of the Zelda franchise, but would probably start a riot if actually produced by Nintendo as part of the main series.

That said, I would like the story to be shaken up just a bit compared to "Ganon kidnaps Zelda, Link has to save her" bit, and would definitely think that characterizing the main trio beyond "good guy, good girl, bad guy" is a step in the right direction. I even have a little story idea of my own, which will most certainly twist around characterizations, by way of adding a new force.

Basically, the premise is supposing another villain (hereinafter to be codenamed "Mr. X") kills Ganon before he even starts building his empire of evil to hunt down Zelda and Link, and uses Ganon's Triforce of Power to build an empire of his own. Mr. X's empire grows more quickly and ruthlessly than Ganon's empire could have ever hoped to because Mr. X uses the Triforce of Power to power an energy generator, which, in turn, allowed him to transform the kingdom into essentially a gigantic industrial sprawl. The visual cues of this empire would mostly be of a "fantasy industrial revolution", like Albion in Fable 3 or Dunwall in Dishonored, with rifle-carrying soldiers replacing standard medieval-era mooks.

This huge societal upheaval by Mr. X is carried out when Zelda and Link are barely children in this timeline (or even yet to be born), so they end up brought into severely different lifestyles - Princess Zelda is raised as the socialite daughter of one of the bickering bourgeois families of the upper class, while Link is slaving away in one of the factories or mines below. In this case, Mr. X's transformation of the civilized world had also rubbed out the whole "Legend of the Triforce" thing from the mass consciousness, and the only people who know about it are Mr. X's inner circle of cronies and henchmen, and a few elderly survivors of the era before Mr. X's rise to power, with neither Link nor Zelda knowing of their legacy.

The game starts when the forces of Mr. X are able to realize that Link and Zelda are carrying their respective Triforces, and Link (and possibly Zelda, for a potential secondary campaign/co-op spin) is barely able to escape, joining a scattered group of rebels in the outskirts of Mr. X's kingdom. For the record, the whole "chosen ones" business isn't recognized as such, with the rebels only wanting Link and Zelda by means of Mr. X wanting his hands on the two himself. Link and Zelda themselves would have rather preferred to leave the whole mess behind them, but the forces of Mr. X prevent them from doing so, only for character development overtime to give them both an acceptance for their given destinies, as well as maturing enough as fighters and leaders to lead the people of Mr. X's empire (at first even MORE skeptical of the whole "chosen ones" business than Link, Zelda, and the rebels) into a full-on revolution.

The climax, where Link and Zelda storm the building Mr. X was using to harness the Triforce of Power, has them stumble across the big reveal of the story - that, while Ganon was "killed" for Mr. X to gain his piece of the Triforce, his spirit still lives within the machine powered by the Triforce, and has since gone completely insane from his torturous imprisonment. Even if he ends up being the final antagonist, this would definitely earn more sympathy towards Ganon based on the hell he went through, as well as him realizing how futile it is being forced to evil by being the reincarnation of the demonic prick responsible for the whole mess (slight Skyward Sword spoilers there).

Technically, it isn't a complete deconstruction of the Zelda games, but definitely more than enough to shake up the box, and hopefully put down lots of different gameplay innovations to go with the new story.

Phuctifyno

Jul 6, 2010
rednightmare said:

http://dresdencodak.tumblr.com/post/47724463171/inspired-by-anita-sarkeesians-video-game-tropes

The characters seem more interesting, the gameplay more fluid, the magic focus would be a nice change, the world seems more interesting, esspecially politically and it even has a female protagonist, because why not at that point?
No! No no no no nononononono NO!!!!!

This is

ALL
...WRONG!!!!

...Link is LEFT handed. Harrrumph.

...[edit] oh that's Zelda? Noticing now they bear a strong resemblance and are probably related. All my fanfics ruined!!!

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
I would like a scenario where everyone's in a costume for some festival, and some Ganondorf like character sees the Hero's garb and destroys the town, trying to prevent the return of the hero. Link is conveniently out in the woods while it happens, and returns just in time to pick up a guard's sword and try to attack said figure, only to be beaten back. He (or she, a female Link would still be badass) then goes on a journey to gather up some mythical objects that have been used to beat evil before.

But yeah, Windwaker is still one of the best Zelda titles, for sure. And even if it is a slow boil and muddy in color, I still love Twilight Princess as a game with heart and character. He might be the chosen one, but that doesn't really play into his hands until after he meets Zelda.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Grach said:
I'd like a Zelda where the main character is a Zora or something like that (and don't throw the name Majora's Mask to me, I mean a full game).
I was actually pondering something like that earlier today on the long boring drive to university.
Something like a small character anthology where we see the culture of ancient Hylia before it became Hyrule, and possibly who made all of those weird magical trinkets that ended up in the dungeons.

It would give the world some gravitas if nothing else; a reason to actually treat the world around the player as something other than nice looking filler between Dungeon C and Dungeon D or killing some giant evil pig for the eleventh time.

Kuuenbu

Apr 15, 2013
As one of the 4 people on Earth who enjoyed it, I would like to finally see a sequel to Zelda II: The Adventure of Link...

...oh... [http://cinemassacre.com/2008/11/25/avgn-cd-i-part-2/]

...wait... [http://cinemassacre.com/2008/12/09/avgn-cd-i-part-3/]

...nevermind. D:

moggett88 said:

I like how the "female" Link looks more masculine than the traditional "male" Link. It looks like she's wearing cargo pants as opposed to the trademark guy-skirt.

MaddKossack115 said:
That said, I would like the story to be shaken up just a bit compared to "Ganon kidnaps Zelda, Link has to save her" bit, and would definitely think that characterizing the main trio beyond "good guy, good girl, bad guy" is a step in the right direction. I even have a little story idea of my own, which will most certainly twist around characterizations, by way of adding a new force.

Basically, the premise is supposing another villain (hereinafter to be codenamed "Mr. X")
A Legend of Zelda/Streets of Rage crossover? Sign me up!

moggett88

May 2, 2013
Kuuenbu said:
As one of the 4 people on Earth who enjoyed it, I would like to finally see a sequel to Zelda II: The Adventure of Link...

...oh... [http://cinemassacre.com/2008/11/25/avgn-cd-i-part-2/]

...wait... [http://cinemassacre.com/2008/12/09/avgn-cd-i-part-3/]

...nevermind. D:

moggett88 said:

I like how the "female" Link looks more masculine than the traditional "male" Link. It looks like she's wearing cargo pants as opposed to the trademark guy-skirt.

MaddKossack115 said:

Basically, the premise is supposing another villain (hereinafter to be codenamed "Mr. X")
Wait a second, I never posted that! Looking back at the thread, I believe it was rednightmare...

MaddKossack115

Jul 29, 2013
Kuuenbu said:
MaddKossack115 said:

Um... not to be rude or anything, but if you read the actual premise, the name Mr. X was just a placeholder for until I could think of a better name. The game I ultimately proposed was closer to a Legend of Zelda/Fable III or Legend of Zelda/Dishonored crossover, with the villain forging the land into a steampunk Industrial Revolution setting. Probably somewhat close to the "The Legend of Zelda: Clockwork Empire" pitch detailed here [http://dresdencodak.tumblr.com/post/47724463171/inspired-by-anita-sarkeesians-video-game-tropes], now that I think of it...