Witcher 3 Dev: Don't Buy From Green Man Gaming

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Witcher 3 Dev: Don't Buy From Green Man Gaming

CD Projekt Red has warned Witcher fans to not buy CD-keys from Green Man Gaming, as it claims they are unauthorized.

Earlier, we spotted a deal for CD Projekt Red's The Witcher 3 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/140706-Get-Witcher-3-and-Wolfenstein-The-Old-Blood-for-35-Off] on PC digital distribution storefront Green Man Gaming that seemed too good to be true. Well, you know what they say about things that seem too good to be true? CD Projekt Red business development manager Rafał Jaki has openly condemned Green Man Gaming's sale, stating that the Witcher 3 keys it is selling are unauthorized, and imploring all fans to steer clear of the website.

"I would kindly ask our fans no to buy via GMG at this time. We had not sold them Keys and don't know the origin of them," he said on the company's Gamespot [http://forums.cdprojektred.com/threads/35436-Witcher-3-35-off?p=1634844&viewfull=1#post1634844] that none of the revenue from Green Man Gaming's current Witcher 3 promotion will go to GOG.com or CD Projekt Red.

On the other side of the wall, an official statement from Green Man Gaming [http://www.gamespot.com/articles/witcher-3-39-codes-legitimate-despite-dev-accusati/1100-6427149/] insists that its Witcher 3 codes are legitimate, and the source of the keys are legitimate third-party retailers.

"Following a six-month dialogue with [CD Projekt RED] about the launch of The Witcher 3, we were disappointed that despite the offer of significant cash advances, and other opportunities to officially work together, (we even offered to fly to Poland to discuss in detail how we could and wanted to support this launch), CDPR chose not to engage with a number of significant, reputable, and successful retailers, including ourselves, as they instead focused on supporting their own platform GOG." explained Green Man Gaming CEO Paul Sulyok.

He stated that all of GMG's keys were purchased from CD Projekt Red approved retailers, meaning that the company received its revenues from them, and that GMG itself is absorbing the additional discount.

"We would heartily welcome a renewed dialogue with CDPR, and are keen to continue to not only support the launch of The Witcher 3, but to keep celebrating and bringing the whole catalogue of CDPR titles to a worldwide audience, as we have done since 2011," Sulyok said.

At the moment, it's a very "he-said, she-said" kind of situation, and until we have undeniable proof that the keys are legitimate, it may be best to err on the side of caution and purchase The Witcher 3 from a legitimate retailer such as Steam or Good old Games [http://www.gog.com/game/the_witcher_3_wild_hunt_preorder].

Source: GameSpot [http://www.gamespot.com/articles/witcher-dev-disputes-39-witcher-3-promotion/1100-6427129/?utm_source=gamefaqs&utm_medium=partner&utm_content=news_module&utm_campaign=homepage]

thewatergamer

Aug 4, 2012
So wait a minute, they purchased them from legitimate third party retailers, and then instead of listing said retailers as a source instead put "Unknown"? This seems very fishy to me... I'll wait for further information but if I was going to get the Witcher 3 it would probably be best to go to GoG or Steam at this point just to be safe

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
thewatergamer said:
So wait a minute, they purchased them from legitimate third party retailers, and then instead of listing said retailers as a source instead put "Unknown"? This seems very fishy to me... I'll wait for further information but if I was going to get the Witcher 3 it would probably be best to go to GoG or Steam at this point just to be safe
Yeah, that "unknown" bit is the real kicker. If they could provide evidence the keys are legit that'd be a nice start.

Sep 14, 2009
it'd be interesting to see where these "legit" keys are coming from, lol if they are getting them legitimately from someone else, how are they reselling them *again* at such a price and still making any profit?

The Madman

Dec 7, 2007
gmaverick019 said:
it'd be interesting to see where these "legit" keys are coming from, lol if they are getting them legitimately from someone else, how are they reselling them *again* at such a price and still making any profit?
If I were a betting man I'd say GMG probably bought the keys from a distributor at a reduced regional price and are reselling them at North American and European pricing. The keys are for Good Old Games which doesn't use region locking after all, which is often used to try and prevent exactly this.

It's a bit sleazy but not strictly illegal.

As for GMG's claim that CDProjekt are trying to push competition towards their own distribution method, aka GOG, the fact that Witcher 3 keys are available at a number of other online retailers including Humble Bundle kinda refutes that.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
With most publishers I would be more likely to take green mans side but this is CD Projeckt, they have always tried to do right by gamers even when I have a hard time getting into their games. Besides, CD Projekt also does good physical releases so I'm planning on getting a physical copy.

Redryhno

Jul 25, 2011
Worgen said:
With most publishers I would be more likely to take green mans side but this is CD Projeckt, they have always tried to do right by gamers even when I have a hard time getting into their games. Besides, CD Projekt also does good physical releases so I'm planning on getting a physical copy.

Ehhh, debatable, they've still got like six major(although largely optional) fights in Witcher 1&2 that are still bugged after years of complaints.

But I will believe them on this to a point, is there any reason we shouldn't trust GMG's stuff? I mean, if they did get them from an approved retailer, was there a mix-up in paperwork or something? Or is there a retailer that's doing shady stuff and GMG got caught with it?

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
Steven Bogos said:
On the other side of the wall, an official statement from Green Man Gaming [http://www.gamespot.com/articles/witcher-3-39-codes-legitimate-despite-dev-accusati/1100-6427149/] insists that its Witcher 3 codes are legitimate, and the source of the keys is "unknown" because it purchased them from legitimate third-party retailers.
This sentence reads oddly, it sounds like the phrase is stating that the keys were purchased legitimately, strictly as a result of the specific source of them being unknown... There really isn't a way to say that in a way that doesn't sound dumb.

"My wares are totally legit since you don't know where I got 'em. Yeah, try to argue with that, take your logic and scram!"

Naturally, there's likely a practical reason for not outing his sources that's tied to the deal when they got them.

In unrelated news, certain regions are likely going to experience a shortage of Witcher 3 keys.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
I've been buying from them for over a year now and have never had a problem. I don't see why they'd suddenly acquire dodgy keys.
I think CD Project should instead do a bit more research before shooting a retailer in the knee for no reason.

NickBrahz

Mar 30, 2011
Other big digital sites have it for $75, GoG is the most expensive at $80 do they really think a "Please don't buy from this giant distributor for $39" is going to work when a lot of people use GMG and they actually deliver keys, this isn't some sketchy Brazilian or Russian site.

SamTheNewb

Apr 16, 2013
-Dragmire- said:
Steven Bogos said:
On the other side of the wall, an official statement from Green Man Gaming [http://www.gamespot.com/articles/witcher-3-39-codes-legitimate-despite-dev-accusati/1100-6427149/] insists that its Witcher 3 codes are legitimate, and the source of the keys is "unknown" because it purchased them from legitimate third-party retailers.
This sentence reads oddly, it sounds like the phrase is stating that the keys were purchased legitimately, strictly as a result of the specific source of them being unknown... There really isn't a way to say that in a way that doesn't sound dumb.

"My wares are totally legit since you don't know where I got 'em. Yeah, try to argue with that, take your logic and scram!"

Naturally, there's likely a practical reason for not outing his sources that's tied to the deal when they got them.

In unrelated news, certain regions are likely going to experience a shortage of Witcher 3 keys.
What they really mean, is that CDPR doesn't know who the source of the keys are because, GMG made a deal with a reseller, and not directly with CDPR.

There is something of great concern however. It is reported that GMG is listing the game as being sold by Namco, which is apparently the physical reseller for EU copies of the game. On another note, it is also been assumed that boxed copies with NOT have GoG, or any other digital distribution access keys in them.

I don't know. Seems odd that GMG is claiming they have GoG keys published by Namco.
As far as I know, Namco boxes do not have GoG keys, and, in fact, the only 3rd party who seem to be selling GoG keys seems to be humblebundle.com. The only other apparent way to get GoG keys is with the Nvidia promotion.

They question is does Namco have the rights to sell, or package the GoG keys in their product. If yes, then the GMG copies appear to be legit, if not, then the GMG listing is very questionable.

If Namco does in fact have access to GoG keys, is it possible that there are loopholes in the publishing deal that allows Namco, or one of their customers to deliver the key without the box, and CDPR doesn't even realize it?

EDIT: well, it seems that the boxed copies actually do have GoG access codes (my google prowess fails).
https://steamcommunity.com/linkfilter/?url=http://forums.cdprojektred.com/threads/35369-The-Witcher-3-Wild-Hunt-Retail-PC-Version-FAQ

Note everything in this post is speculation, with some basis on observable facts, but it is still speculation:
So GMG could very well be opening actual boxes to get keys, or they could have an arrangement from Namco themselves, if Namco is allowed to make such a thing. I expect the $20 discount could be well within the retail margins plus any other kinds of rebates that GMG could get from Namco.

Adultratedhydra

Aug 19, 2010
NickBrahz said:
Other big digital sites have it for $75, GoG is the most expensive at $80 do they really think a "Please don't buy from this giant distributor for $39" is going to work when a lot of people use GMG and they actually deliver keys, this isn't some sketchy Brazilian or Russian site.
CDPR is completely within their right to do this and it is -very- suss that GMG are labeling their supplier as "Unknown".

If everything is above board then there should be no problem on providing the name of the supplier. GMG seem reluctant to name the supplier so yes there is something sketchy about this.

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
I'm just remembering the Far Cry snafu from a few months back. I believe CD Projekt Red is far more friendly with their customers than Ubisoft could ever be, and probably wouldn't wish to brick copies from the wrong region (can't say the same about Steam itself), but it's better to play it safe (especially with Steam, again). If you can't pay the full price for Witcher 3 right now, be patient and wait for price drops or more info on this story to be uncovered. Some deals are too good to be true.

aivalera

Aug 30, 2011
On the flip side, at least they are telling this now instead of bricking the codes later like Ubisoft and Far Cry 4. It's hard to get pissed when you haven't lost anything.

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
Oh, that Unknown source, I know them. They're great. They were recommended to me by Shady Siberian Man and Inheritance Scam Nigerian Prince.

Jesus Christ Green Man Gaming, put SOME effort in to defending yourself in a way that doesn't make you seem more guilty.

happy_turtle

Apr 11, 2010
CDP really need to go back and read their PR handbooks again, they've really come across as asses here. Their mods on the forum are throwing accusations around about a very reputable distributor without any proof.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
GMG listing "unknown" as their supplier doesn't paint them in a heroic light. If they want to be seen as doing everything above board, they should list their supplier.

frizzlebyte

Oct 20, 2008
Abomination said:
Oh, that Unknown source, I know them. They're great. They were recommended to me by Shady Siberian Man and Inheritance Scam Nigerian Prince.

Jesus Christ Green Man Gaming, put SOME effort in to defending yourself in a way that doesn't make you seem more guilty.
First part made me laugh. :-D

Anyway, as someone who's bought from GMG quite a bit, the caginess about their supplier doesn't sit well with me, though I suspect this is more a question of CDProjekt being overly cautious than GMG being outright frauds. Now, whether the codes are fraudulent is a concern, depending on who their supplier is. Of course, they ain't saying, so until someone clears things up this is one mystery-meat stew I won't be eating.

Or, y'know, something like that. >.>

black_knight1337

Mar 1, 2011
And that's yet another reason for me not buy Witcher 3. GGG are by far the best third party retailer around and CDP are locking them (as well as a bunch of other retailers) out from selling their product? And then when they go the extra mile to provide it for their customers they accuse them of selling "illegal" keys as well as claiming they aren't getting any of the revenue from them? Just ridiculous really.

Also, for everyone saying GMG said that they got the keys from an "unknown source", they didn't. It was CDP that said the keys were from an "unknown source".

chikusho

Jun 14, 2011
Let's get real here people.

GMG did not say that their keys came from an "unknown source".
GMG DID say that their keys came from "legitimate third-party retailers".