With Spoilers, Discuss the Avengers

tzimize

Mar 1, 2010
Jack the Potato said:
Did ANY theater not explode in uproarious laughter and applause when Loki's big verbal lashing of the INCREDIBLE FREAKING HULK ended quite badly for him? I thought so. That kind of scene isn't exactly uncommon, but it was just amazingly well done. I didn't hear what Hulk said to Loki afterward I was laughing so hard!

That, plus Hulk's casual punching of Thor right after they just took a leviathan down makes me declare Hulk to be the funniest character in the whole movie. Followed closely by Tony.

Also this:

Thor: Be careful how you speak of Loki! He is of Asgard and he is my brother!!
Black Widow: He killed 80 people in 2 days.
Thor: ... He's adopted.
I've never seen a single Joss Whedon work before this movie, so I always wondered why people go nuts over him. Now I know. Is ALL of his stuff like this? I may have to check them out if they are!
Yes. It really is. Joss Whedon is a miracle.

Avengers is probably my favorite superhero movie of all time (and thats saying something when we got the likes of The Dark Knight and Iron Man in the pot. And its also one of my favorite movies ever.

I've waited since childhood to see a movie like this, and in moviebobs words, they pulled it off perfectly the first time around.

Thank god for Joss Whedon, and thank god for the awesome executive that had the brains to let him take the reins.

The adopted line had me in stitches :p

In fact the whole movie was so crammed of awesome moments it could well break some natural law.

Moar superhero movies please...and if we get avengers 2.....JOSS WHEDON FOR PRESIDENT! PLEASE!

Lucane said:
Did anyone else Think Black Widow was a little overly freaked out by the Hulk/Bruce Banner? the 1st time in the house when he pretended to start to loose his temper she didn't put her gun down for a little while and then later when she was running away from him on the Helicarrier after Thor comes and smacks him into the Hanger section she's sorta paralyzed with fear or something. Now not saying a wouldn't fair any better but it seemed a little off putting seeing how she was faking it in her sting operation and with Loki while in confinement and having no trouble fighting Hawkeye or the alien armada.
I actually found those to be a couple of the movies best scenes. Hulk really is a thing to be feared, and black widow would be smashed to bits by him, and she knows it. Black widow doesnt have the strength, speed or stamina of a "real" superhero so I found her fear to be entirely appropriate, and well played. It cements the Hulk as an uncontrollable rage-monster for the audience.

Hawkeye is more on BWs level, being an assassin and all. As long as she can get in close, she got a fighting chance. The armada...well those are mostly grunts anyway :p

She actually reminds me about the conversation between Superman and Wonderwoman in trinity. Where Superman expresses his awe for Batman. Batman does his heroics without any superpowers, and Superman wonders if he would dare the same if he didnt have his own.

Black Widows heroics are all the more impressive because she ISNT invulnerable like the hulk or an Asgardian god. Her emotions and reactions are also more human, as they should be.

Aurgelmir

WAAAAGH!
Nov 11, 2009
This movie rocked so hard. Seen it twice now :D

For one thing Joss Whedon works so well for it. He has the nack for all those small lines that makes everything so much better. Anyone who have seen Buffy or Fire Fly knows this.

Also love how they never really put one character "above" everyone else. Each hero gets their chance to shine, although Hulk probably steals the show :)

Can't wait for this thing to come out on Blu Ray!

PS: I would love to see a Hawkeye movie set in the "past" of the Avengers where Black Widdow is the villain, ie what Black Widdow talks to Loki about.

bigfatcarp93

Mar 26, 2012
WolfThomas said:
bigfatcarp93 said:
*facepalm* I JUST realised that the shit that Tony made in Iron Man 2 (The new element) was the same stuff the Tesseract was made of. Howard must have figured it out after he found the Tesseract, and disigned the Ark Reactor specifically to run off of that element... but, limited by the science of his time, he couldn't manufacture more, so the "unfinished" Ark used Palladium instead. But, Howard was still clever enough to leave a blueprint of an atom of... uh... "Tesseractum" in the Expo map, so that Tony, with the tech of his time, could manufacture more and "finish" the Ark Reactor. Meaning that, in theory, Tony Stark could make another Tesseract.
Or it's Vibranium the stuff Cap's shield is made of. Indestructible and capable of absorbing limitless energy, sounds like a good property for an arc reactor heat sink thing. Though yeah the movies are packed full of this stuff, like in Captain America Howard Stark describing the tesseract energy cells as emitting radiation but not alpha or beta (so gamma the stuff that Banner was hit by) which is confirmed in the Avengers. And Reinstein written on the canisters of supersoldier serum in the Incredible Hulk (which was Erksine's original/ret-conned to false name in comics).
No, it can't be Vibranium. Vibranium doesn't glow or give off power. And the glow of the Ark Reactor is the same as the glow of the Tesseract.

irishda

Dec 16, 2010
Oh, the Hulk. He's like Marvel's Superman. Completely overpowered, completely fun to watch, but a really uninteresting character.

I think that's why I liked Ang Lee's Hulk better than the Ed Norton one. There's a sort of vulnerability to him, whereas everyone else just sort of says, "What impossible thing can we have him break now?" It's more fun, but it doesn't make for a very interesting character at all.

OT: This is pretty much Michael Bay for nerds. The dialogue's better, but the characters are all just as flat and two dimensional. It's definitely a fun movie, but I wouldn't call it a great movie, or even one of Whedon's best.

WolfThomas

Man must have a code.
Dec 21, 2007
bigfatcarp93 said:
No, it can't be Vibranium. Vibranium doesn't glow or give off power. And the glow of the Ark Reactor is the same as the glow of the Tesseract.
But the ARC reacter glowed with palladium, did it not? I think in the setting of the ARC reactor that unknown element acted probably as a conductor or something. You notice the palladium cores were burnt out when Tony had to change them. I think ARC reactor is an attempt to copy the Tesseracts unique energy generation but it was lacking the Vibranium core to make it sustainable. But I will admit this is all guesswork.

thahat

Apr 23, 2008
Dudeman325 said:
Jack the Potato said:
Did ANY theater not explode in uproarious laughter and applause when Loki's big verbal lashing of the INCREDIBLE FREAKING HULK ended quite badly for him? I thought so. That kind of scene isn't exactly uncommon, but it was just amazingly well done. I didn't hear what Hulk said to Loki afterward I was laughing so hard!
I'm curious about what the Hulk said as well, but that certainly was an awesome beatdown.

Overall a great movie. My only complaint is that the Hulk didn't say much (not Banner of course). At least a "Hulk SMASH!" would have done (and that line got stolen by Cap), but I always smile a little inside at the simplistic names that the Hulk gives to all the various supers in the comics.

EDIT: Also, the rumor mills are speculating that Coulson might come back as Vision. I'm not sure what to think about that...
hunlk said the following: 'puny god' he said it in a 'pff, you piece of garbage' voice.

May 5, 2010
bigfatcarp93 said:
*facepalm* I JUST realised that the shit that Tony made in Iron Man 2 (The new element) was the same stuff the Tesseract was made of. Howard must have figured it out after he found the Tesseract, and disigned the Ark Reactor specifically to run off of that element... but, limited by the science of his time, he couldn't manufacture more, so the "unfinished" Ark used Palladium instead. But, Howard was still clever enough to leave a blueprint of an atom of... uh... "Tesseractum" in the Expo map, so that Tony, with the tech of his time, could manufacture more and "finish" the Ark Reactor. Meaning that, in theory, Tony Stark could make another Tesseract.

EDIT: I may start a new topic just to discuss this...
Holy SHIT, you're right! 'Cause SHIELD was trying to invent unlimited energy with the Tessaract, and that's EXACTLY WHAT TONY'S DOING WITH THE NEW ELEMENT AT STARK TOWER!!!! Plus, his suit (powered by the same element) responds well to Thor's lightning. That actually makes sense now.

spartandude

Nov 24, 2009
Robert Ewing said:
I was gutted when Coulson died.

And the avengers reminded me about how much I thought Spiderman was missing from the team... Poor spidey. Where was he when Loki's army was invading!?
a better question is where were the Xmen

speaking of spiderman i heard a rumour that they may be weaving him in to the shared universe aswell. makes sense as they can then put him in for future avenger films and even if there arnt any its still lore wank for the fans

Cry Wolf

Oct 13, 2010
bahumat42 said:
Cry Wolf said:
bahumat42 said:
Jack the Potato said:

That, plus Hulk's casual punching of Thor right after they just took a leviathan down makes me declare Hulk to be the funniest character in the whole movie. Followed closely by Tony.

Also this:

Thor: Be careful how you speak of Loki! He is of Asgard and he is my brother!!
Black Widow: He killed 80 people in 2 days.
Thor: ... He's adopted.
I've never seen a single Joss Whedon work before this movie, so I always wondered why people go nuts over him. Now I know. Is ALL of his stuff like this? I may have to check them out if they are!
we don't talk about dollhouse ^^

he has strong writing when it comes to team based things, (to the extent i will go out of my way to read any team-oriented book he has written) but his tv stuff is equally as good.
Woah, be careful. Dollhouse was fucking awfull. *Most* of his stuff is great though.
>.< Did I really miss the "We don't talk about Dollhouse" comment the first time, or did you just add that?

userwhoquitthesite

Jul 23, 2009
Offworlder said:
Great movie but I'm still pissed off Ant-Man wasn't involved. Oh well one can dream.

But as much as I loved it I have a feeling it's going to to turn people into comic book geniuses, ya know, cos it's the cool thing right now. Not that it's a hugely bad thing but it will be irritating.

Also I have a awesome feeling the infinity gauntlet will be used in the next one, so that's gonna be badass.
its an experiment in public goodwill: probably best to leave the alcoholic, sadistic wife-beater out of the mix a spell.

bigfatcarp93

Mar 26, 2012
Frozen Donkey Wheel2 said:
bigfatcarp93 said:

Holy SHIT, you're right! 'Cause SHIELD was trying to invent unlimited energy with the Tessaract, and that's EXACTLY WHAT TONY'S DOING WITH THE NEW ELEMENT AT STARK TOWER!!!! Plus, his suit (powered by the same element) responds well to Thor's lightning. That actually makes sense now.
Ah, I hadn't thought about the lightning... good catch!

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
Really enjoyed the movie, didn't enjoy Phil dying (still think he's dead).
Hawkeye really awesome, well balanced screentime for everyone, Loki was a good bad guy for the build up, best parts:
"You puny creature I am a GOD!" *boom, bash blam dump kaboom* "Puny god"
and
"He's adopted..."
My story, and it's true!

WolfThomas

Man must have a code.
Dec 21, 2007
8-Bit_Jack said:
its an experiment in public goodwill: probably best to leave the alcoholic, sadistic wife-beater out of the mix a spell.
Except Hank Pym isn't any of those (okay in Ultimates he is).

Pym hit his wife (a powerful metahuman) and once and only once on a background of several mental breakdown (the whole Yellow Jacket/Hank Pym split personality thing). He has gone on to atone for it several times (writers seem to forget the previous times and put him back in the wrong).

lumenadducere

May 19, 2008
I really enjoyed it. Saw it once and will be seeing it again with a different group on Tuesday - looking forward to noticing new things that I didn't catch the first time. Also, thanks for pointing out the Iron Man 2 thing with Tony making the new element and its relation to the Tesseract - I had completely missed that. And I don't think Coulson's dead - it seems too much like Nick Fury to simply claim that he is to motivate the group.

I also don't agree with the "Hulk should be uncontrollable" thing. In the Hulk movie he's shown to be somewhat controllable, even careful in his selection of targets. Everyone freaks out about the Hulk emerging because they haven't really seen anything but the rage, but it's established in the Hulk film that he can still care about people and be focused or protective in his rage - hence why he's the one to save Iron Man as he falls from the wormhole, since Tony was one of the only ones to show admiration and camaraderie to Bruce while they were on the helicarrier.

Plus they hint several times - well, Tony hints at it at least - that there's probably more to the Hulk than Banner gives him credit for. The Hulk could be there to provide a benefit or some other positive thing for Banner, but Banner's been so utterly reluctant to try that there's really no way to find out. And on the helicarrier Black Widow is essentially the one that angered him, and Thor just jumps into the fight so I figured it made sense that you can't reason with the Hulk when he's already enraged like that. I assumed that Hulk's punching of Thor after they take out the Leviathan was in retaliation for their earlier fight on the helicarrier.

Fieldy409_v1legacy

Oct 9, 2008
Frozen Donkey Wheel2 said:
bigfatcarp93 said:

Wow. This makes so much sense.

Remember how Tony paused to look at that 3d image of the tesseract on his computer?

I think Black Widow will betray the Avengers in the next movie. Remeber how she fed Hawkeye the same line about her ledger being red when he asked about her motivation to help that she gave Loki when she was manipulating him into giving away his plan?