Woman Busted For Trying to Sell $1.7m Moon Rock

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
Woman Busted For Trying to Sell $1.7m Moon Rock

Did you know NASA has undercover agents? They do, and they'll bust you if you try to sell fake moon rocks.

She claimed she had a piece of the moon, and it could be yours if you could afford the astronomical price she was demanding. Unfortunately for the woman, it turns out that her prospective buyer was an undercover investigator for NASA (side note: if there is a sexier job title out there, I have yet to hear it), and she's been detained by Riverside County sherff's deputies.

The woman was asking $1.7 million (though it may have been $1.6, the original article lists both figures) for the rock. When she and her buyer agreed on a price, they met at a restaurant in Lake Elsinore (roughly 70 miles south of Los Angeles). NASA is currently conducting tests to see if the rock is genuine or not. At the moment, the woman isn't under arrest, nor is it clear how she came to possess the rock (provided it's the real deal).

In case you weren't aware of this, it's totally illegal to sell moon rocks. The only ones released to the public by Richard Nixon were given out to each U.S. state and 136 countries by then-president Richard Nixon, but they're highly-sought after by collectors and apparently sell for millions of dollars on the black market.

However, a recent survey showed that ten states and ninety countries couldn't account for the rocks that had been given to them. As a result, NASA has a division of investigators who track down the missing lunar rocks.

What will be interesting to see is if the rock the woman tried to sell was actually a real piece of the moon. If it is, I'm curious about where she got it from. However, there's a bigger question here: How can I get hired as a NASA investigator, and would I get a badge that I could impress dates with?

Source: <a href=http://www.smh.com.au/technology/sci-tech/woman-nabbed-over-16m-moon-rock-offer-that-was-out-of-this-world-20110523-1ezfe.html#ixzz1N9UHlxwj>Associated Press

cerebus23

May 16, 2010
I seriously needs me some moons rocks and some black market contacts, guess ebay is out.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
I reckon it's for the best. Because before you know it, you'll end up as this guy:
Remember kids, moon rock is bad, m'kay?

brunothepig

May 18, 2009
Might wanna fix the headline there. Sounds like the woman was gonna get gypped.
OT: This is hilarious. Although I wouldn't mind a chunk of moon... And I'm with you, whatever the job entails surely it's worth it for the title.

Pyrosomniac

Mar 17, 2011
Mental note to self: NEVER mess with NASA.

Anyway, I don't quite get the illegality of them. Are they afraid they'll hit someone in the hea-

*reads article*

National treasure? Sure we've a giant sphere littered with them over our heads!

Quaxar

Sep 21, 2009
So... there is a "it is forbidden to sell or purchase lunar rocks"-law somewhere in the US lawbooks?

I'll show you, NASA! I'm going to build a rocket and get my own moon boulders. Just $1,2m guys, I'm ruining myself with that price!
Who's with me?
vansau said:
However, there's a bigger question here: How can I get hired as a NASA investigator, and would I get a badge that I could impress dates with?
I guess that would violate the rules of undercover investigation. I'm sorry, have this "FBI - federal boobie inspector" shirt instead.

Tulks

Dec 30, 2010
mduncan50 said:
The title makes it sound like an awesome deal. Only $1.70.
Funny, that's what drew me to read the article. Thought it seemed awfully cheap.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
*Waits for Hankmans pun-joke of the day*

OT: Well this is amusing, who'd of known Nasa has it's own Undercover Police? xD

Tulks

Dec 30, 2010
Quaxar said:
So... there is a "it is forbidden to sell or purchase lunar rocks"-law somewhere in the US lawbooks?
More likely an "it is forbidden to sell or purchase stolen goods" law.

matrix3509

Sep 24, 2008
Of course they are trying to keep the moon rocks on the down low, I mean what if somebody shot a portal at the moon? Lunacy, says I!

jbchillin

Sep 16, 2010
i had no idea that you could get in trouble for selling moon rocks, and becoming a nasa undercover investigator is my new life goal.

JDKJ

Oct 23, 2010
arc1991 said:

OT: Well this is amusing, who'd of known Nasa has it's own Undercover Police? xD
I'll beat him to it:

This is a case of lunacy.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
JDKJ said:
arc1991 said:

I'll beat him to it:

This is a case of lunacy.
You got beaten by another person ;)

Quaxar

Sep 21, 2009
Tulks said:
Quaxar said:
More likely an "it is forbidden to sell or purchase stolen goods" law.
Actually, just let me put out a thought...
The only ones released to the public by Richard Nixon were given out to each U.S. state and 136 countries by then-president Richard Nixon
The way I read that is the rocks were a gift to these 136 countries, which'd mean they are free to do with them as they wish, including sell them.
And if it was stolen from them it'd probably not be NASA's case.

Blind0bserver

Blatant Narcissist
Mar 31, 2008
vansau said:
However, there's a bigger question here: How can I get hired as a NASA investigator, and would I get a badge that I could impress dates with?
You know, that would be a great job to impress people with.

"What do I do for a living? Eh, nothing much, I just investigate crimes..." (dramatically takes off glasses) "... space crimes. What? Sure, I'd love to go back to your place."

Tiamat666

Level 80 Legendary Postlord
Dec 4, 2007
vansau said:
You would not get a badge and you would have to keep your occupation secret from everybody, always. Such is the cruel fate of all undercover agents, spies and other extremely cool professions.