Woman Busted For Trying to Sell $1.7m Moon Rock

TheTurtleMan

Mar 2, 2010
I can't believe some of the things that people do sometimes. Now if someone wants to buy some real moon rocks, leave a message on my profile and I'll get you some for the reasonable price of $50,000 a piece.

beema

Aug 19, 2009
[insert portal joke here]

Seriously though, why are moon rocks such a tightly controlled substance? Can they actually create portals or something? It's just a hunk of space dust. Who cares if someone wants to sell it or buy it for some exorbitant amount?

Anarchemitis

Dec 23, 2007
Zenn3k said:
Pure poison!
Actually in a wild case of research brilliance, Valve is correct in that assertion.
Lunar soil somewhat closely resembles a silicon/alumina asbestos-like contaminant in its effects on human contact- other than that, it's a lot like concrete, which is why research is being conducted on its effectiveness as a building material for a permanent Moon base.
Seriously though, why are moon rocks such a tightly controlled substance? Can they actually create portals or something? It's just a hunk of space dust. Who cares if someone wants to sell it or buy it for some exorbitant amount?
Because they're freaking rare and hard to re-aquire. The only moon rocks humans have, were gathered by Apollo 11, 12, 14, 15, 16 and 17 between 1969 and 1972. Man has yet to go to the moon since. The total amount is somewhere about the realm of one ton.

When Cave Johnson said "7 million dollars of moon rocks" that's a pretty ambiguous statement since each one of the Apollo missions brought back an average of 100 pounds, and each mission cost about 4 billion dollars (unadjusted for era)

Anarchemitis

Dec 23, 2007
Abandon4093 said:
Fuck that.

I'ma make my own rocket. And it will have like 24 meter rims. Them I'ma fly to the moon and break me off a whole chunk a' that badboy.

Then I'll sell it and fuck you NASA agents.
If you can do even half that, you'll win the LunarX prize for 15 million dollars. Link [http://www.googlelunarxprize.org/]

player3141

May 16, 2011
Just ask where Cave Johnson where he got his-
*warning, portal quote(you had to know someone was going to do this)*
"The bean counters told me we literally could not afford to buy seven dollars worth of moon rocks, much less seventy million. Bought 'em anyway. Ground 'em up, mixed em into a gel. And guess what? Ground up moon rocks are pure poision. I am deathyly ill."

On a more serious note, what did the countries do with the rock? Did they just accept the gift, look at it, and throw it away. They should have put in some kind of museum or studied it.

Chrono212

Fluttershy has a mean K:DR
May 19, 2009
vansau said:
would I get a badge that I could impress dates with?
[HEADING=2]Yes. Yes you would.[/HEADING]

OT: Trust Tricky Dick to casually give all those rocks away :p
But it is a shame that people put their own greed before Science!

SlayerN

8th Place
Nov 26, 2009
If I was this women I would pretend to go crazy and blather on about some flat earth conspiracy to get the media's attention and make myself seem like less of a criminal.

and since when is SPACE controlled by the USA's government.(there are lots of flags on the moon not just the USA's)

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
vansau said:
However, a recent survey showed that ten states and ninety countries couldn't account for the rocks that had been given to them. As a result, NASA has a division of investigators who track down the missing lunar rocks.
That has got to be the best job ever. In fact, some might say it's out of this world.

[sup]Look, someone was going to say it eventually.[/sup]

Motakikurushi

Jul 22, 2009
"The bean counters told me we literally could not afford to buy $7 worth of moon rocks, let alone $1.7million. Bought 'em anyway. Ground them up, mixed them into a gel. And guess what? Ground up moon rocks are pure poison. I am deathly ill."
This woman clearly didn't want to make lemonade.

Hyperme

May 19, 2011
Why didn't she break it into smaller rocks and sell them each for $1.7. I mean, if you can find one person to buy a lump of the moon, surely you can find more.

And for extra irony, if it a non-moon rock, she gets eaten for fraud. The Moon is serious business, it seems.

Wintermoot

Aug 20, 2009
she should have grounded them up and mixed them into a gel!
also a piece of advice from the space core if anybody else want,s to do this:

Bad Jim

Nov 1, 2010
Senaro said:
I'd love to hear about a private space program getting to the moon. It's just been the main countries with their space programs. Makes me wonder if somehow getting into space through private means is illegal as well.
Richard Branson is working on it.

http://www.virgingalactic.com/