Woman Busted For Trying to Sell $1.7m Moon Rock

Nocta-Aeterna

Aug 3, 2009
Cowabungaa said:
I reckon it's for the best. Because before you know it, you'll end up as this guy:
Remember kids, moon rock is bad, m'kay?
Indeed, but not in the "drugs are bad m'kay" manner. More in the "inhaling asbestos is bad m'kay" way

There are concerns that the dust found on the lunar surface could cause harmful effects on any manned outpost technology and crew members:

Abrasive nature of the dust particles may rub and wear down surfaces through friction;
Negative effect on coatings used on gaskets to seal equipment from space, optical lenses that include solar panels and windows as well as wiring;
Possible damage to an astronaut's lungs, nervous, and cardiovascular systems.

The principles of astronautical hygiene should be used to assess the risks of exposure to lunar dust during exploration on the Moon's surface and thereby determine the most appropriate measures to control exposure. These would include for example, removing the spacesuit in a three stage airlock, vacuuming the suit before removal, using local exhaust ventilation with a high efficiency particulate filter to remove any dust in the space craft's atmosphere etc (Ref: Dr J R Cain presentation "The application of astronautical hygiene to protect the health of astronauts", UK Space Biomedicine Association Conference 2009, Downing College, University of Cambridge).

The harmful properties of the lunar dust are not well known. However, based on studies of dust found on Earth, it is expected that exposure to lunar dust will result in greater risks to health both from direct exposure (acute) and if exposure is over time (chronic). This is because lunar dust is more chemically reactive and has larger surface areas composed of sharper jagged edges than Earth dust (Ref: Dr John R Cain, "Moon dust - a danger to lunar explorers" , Spaceflight, Vol 52, February 2010, pp60 ? 65). If the chemical reactive particles are deposited in the lungs, they may cause respiratory disease. Long-term exposure to the dust may cause a more serious respiratory disease similar to silicosis. During lunar exploration, the astronaut's spacesuits will become contaminated with lunar dust. The dust will be released into the atmosphere when the suits are removed. The methods used to mitigate exposure will include providing high air recirculation rates in the airlock, the use of a "Double Shell Spacesuit", the use of dust shields, the use of high grade magnetic separation and the use of solar flux to sinter and melt the regolith (Ref: Dr John R Cain, "Lunar dust: the hazard and astronaut exposure risks", Earth, Moon, Planets DOI 10.1007/s11038-010-9365-0 October 2010)

Giest4life

The Saucepan Man
Feb 13, 2010
Guys, just to let you know, the title of this story is "Woman Busted For Trying to Sell $1.7 Moon Rock." May be I'm out of the loop or something, but the "$1.7" and not "$1.7 million" really, really confused me.

thethingthatlurks

Feb 16, 2010
I know these things aren't exactly common (only around 300kg were brought back from the moon), but why isn't there a market for these things? NASA might raise its budget by selling a few of them, given the ludicrous prices...

Also, undercover NASA agent is just about the most badass job description I've ever heard. Where can I apply for this?

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Quaxar said:
The way I read that is the rocks were a gift to these 136 countries, which'd mean they are free to do with them as they wish, including sell them.
And if it was stolen from them it'd probably not be NASA's case.
Exactly.

Also, who said they were US moon rocks to begin with? They could be Soviet moon rocks...all sorts of stuff wandered off when the USSR collapsed, why not some of the rocks they brought from teh moon via unmanned probes?

CM156_v1legacy

Revelation 9:6
Mar 23, 2011
Why/How is it illegal to sell moon rocks?

If I were to go to the moon myself and bring back rocks, it would be illegal to sell them?

That seems stupid.

Though that job description sounds great. An investigator for NASA!

Drabonn888

Jan 11, 2011
I'm sure the only reason they are illegal to sell and are being tracked down so vigilantly is because NASA doesn't want the rocks to go into the wrong hands and have people find out they aren't really from the moon. Since they never actually made it there!

DSK-

May 13, 2010
poiumty said:
Woman Busted For Trying to Sell $1.7 Moon Rock
Pretty huge blunder there, huh. You forgot, like, six zeros.
I laughed at that too. It was one of the reasons I clicked on the topic in teh first place :D

Senaro

Jan 5, 2008
CM156 said:
Why/How is it illegal to sell moon rocks?

If I were to go to the moon myself and bring back rocks, it would be illegal to sell them?

That seems stupid.

Though that job description sounds great. An investigator for NASA!
I'd love to hear about a private space program getting to the moon. It's just been the main countries with their space programs. Makes me wonder if somehow getting into space through private means is illegal as well.

random_bars

Oct 2, 2010
She should've ground it up and put it in that guy's coffee. Can't arrest people when you've been poisoned!

JDKJ

Oct 23, 2010
Tulks said:
Quaxar said:
So... there is a "it is forbidden to sell or purchase lunar rocks"-law somewhere in the US lawbooks?
More likely an "it is forbidden to sell or purchase stolen goods" law.
Lunar rocks and dust are classified as "national treasures" and it is illegal to traffic in national treasures.

SenseOfTumour

Jul 11, 2008
If people are willing to pay nearly $2million for a moon rock, surely the US should get another launch sorted, and fill the rocket with rocks and sell em on ebay when they get back.

Sure the launch would cost a few million,but 100 rocks in the hold and I'm sure that'd pay for a bunch of stuff.

StellarViking

Apr 10, 2011
Somebody potentially stole one, or someone's faking one, and selling it for $1.7 million? That's just stellar.

I, too, was unaware that NASA has undercover investigators. That sounds like the coolest job in the world.

"I track down criminals and fight crime. IN SPACE."

Bigsmith

Mar 16, 2009
SenseOfTumour said:
If people are willing to pay nearly $2million for a moon rock, surely the US should get another launch sorted, and fill the rocket with rocks and sell em on ebay when they get back.

Sure the launch would cost a few million,but 100 rocks in the hold and I'm sure that'd pay for a bunch of stuff.
I'm sorry.. but I need to say this but, wouldn't bringing more rocks down reduce how much they an sell them for?

OT: Haha, I want a job with that kinda awesome title. I mean, an agent for the space agency wow.

More OT: I want a moon rock and contacts with the black market. I could live happily this that much cash in my back pocket.

D Moness

Left the building
Sep 16, 2010
vxicepickxv said:
Too bad I missed the fix.

I think $1.7 might have been in Cave's budget.
Well he did buy moonrocks for 1.7 million as well.

Somehow portal 2 was the first thing that popped into my mind when reading the topic