Woman Claims to Own the Sun

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Woman Claims to Own the Sun

A woman that says she's taking advantage of international law has staked a claim on the sun.

You know that big red ball of fire in the sky that heats you up on a hot day and appears useless but still keeps you alive on a cold one? Yeah, the Sun? Well, that 4.5 billion year old star now has a new owner, and it isn't god, so get ready for a huge increase in your heating bill. Angeles Duran of Spain, 49, recently filed for and was granted what she says is legal ownership of the Sun.

The U.N.'s Outer Space Treaty [http://www.oosa.unvienna.org/oosa/SpaceLaw/outerspt.html] states that "outer space is not subject to national appropriation by claim of sovereignty, by means of use or occupation, or by any other means." Duran says this means that countries cannot claim celestial bodies, but individuals are still free to do so. She apparently registered ownership of the Sun with a local notary public and is now in possession of an official document that states she is the "owner of the Sun, a star of spectral type G2, located in the centre of the solar system, located at an average distance from Earth of about 149,600,000 kilometres."

Duran's claim is similar to one made decades ago. Dennis Hope did the same thing as Duran in 1980, but with the Moon. Hope has actually earned money off of his claim by selling acres of land on the Moon to rubes, generating millions of dollars, though it might not be as easy for Duran to do the same thing. Who the hell wants to own something that'll burn you from millions of miles away? Neither claim is officially recognized by the U.N.

Duran says: "There was no snag, I backed my claim legally, I am not stupid, I know the law. I did it but anyone else could have done it, it simply occurred to me first." She plans on charging a fee to anyone that "uses the Sun," giving half to Spain, 20% to Spain's pension fund, 10% to research, 10% towards ending world hunger, and she's keeping the remainder for herself. Good luck collecting.

It wasn't mentioned what Duran meant by "using the Sun," so she could attempt to siphon funds from either Kindergartners or astronomers. It's nice that Duran wants to end world hunger, but if this generates a single penny for her I'll be really upset. You don't own the Sun, Ms. Duran, so just knock it off. Then again, it would be nice to own an acre of Sun for when I retire, just in case she actually does.

Source: Yahoo News [http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20101126/od_afp/spainsunoffbeat]

Gigaguy64

Special Zero Unit
Apr 22, 2009
Wow.
Just wow.

Im not paying her ill tell ya that much.

But im sure something will come up rendering her Document invalid.

Danish rage

Sep 26, 2010
Some mental hospital is missing a patient. What kind of person do you have to be to pull shit like this?

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Tom Goldman said:
Then again, it would be nice to own an acre of Sun for when I retire, just in case she actually does.
Well, you know, once you retire, you can move there and make a living growing and selling...

...wait for it...

...sunflowers!

[small]I'll get my coat.[/small]

But still. This sort of proves that the field of law STILL needs a serious dose of reality. What notary public looked at an application to register ownership of the Sun and DIDN'T laugh this woman out of his/her office? Hey, lawyers? Whenever you start to wonder why your profession is one of the least-liked in the entire world, read up on stories like this.

DamienHell

Oct 17, 2007
HA I don't use the sun anyway, too much WoW.

I would however LOVE you have a piece of paper that said I owned the sun.

Macheteswordgun

Jul 24, 2010
Wasn't this already posted . She also wants to tax people which is stupid and if she does try to do that her punishment will be DEATH BY LAWYERS

uppitycracker

Oct 9, 2008
I think you should only be able to claim something outside of earth if you can plant yer feet on it and plant a flag, or sign or something. and i'd love to see her try! i bet taht alone would generate more money than what she's trying.

RUINER ACTUAL

Oct 29, 2009
I lost IQ points just reading about her. I'd hate to be on the same continent. Let's send her to her prized possession. FIRST ONE TO TOUCH THE SUN OWNS IT!!!!

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
I've just added her to my ever growing list of people who desperately need the liberal application of a 2X4 to the upside of their heads. Her and whatever "genius" actually issued her deed of ownership.

Madara XIII

Sep 23, 2010
Gigaguy64 said:
Wow.
Just wow.

Im not paying her ill tell ya that much.

But im sure something will come up rendering her Document invalid.
*Spews my tea*.....This ***** be trippin!!!

o_O

Madara XIII

Sep 23, 2010
uppitycracker said:
I think you should only be able to claim something outside of earth if you can plant yer feet on it and plant a flag, or sign or something. and i'd love to see her try! i bet taht alone would generate more money than what she's trying.
Hell yeah!! I'd definitely love to see that. YOUTUBE it NAO!!

Anarchemitis

Dec 23, 2007
She can have it for all I care. She'll be in court battles for years about it, but everyone who sustains damage on Earth would be more than happy for someone who would have legal responsibility for Large Solar Flares. Therefore, someone to complain to.

soren7550

Overly Proud New Yorker
Dec 18, 2008
Well Ms. Duran, I'm claiming ownership of all the oxygen on this planet. For every single cubic feet of air you and everyone else breaths in, I want a dollar USD for each and every single cubic foot inhaled by each and everyone. All funds will go to the 'Soren Has to Pay Bills, Pay Rent, Eat Every Now and Again, and Buy A Little Something For Herself Every So Often' fund.
I claim to have claimed it first and I clearly mustn't be an utter fool to claim so. While I'm awaiting my payments, I'll be shopping around for diamond yachts.

Infinatex

BLAM!Headshot?!
May 19, 2009
DamienHell said:
HA I don't use the sun anyway, too much WoW.

I would however LOVE you have a piece of paper that said I owned the sun.
LOL

I can't wait for the headlines - Stupid Spaniard Sues Society Over Sun Service